996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

10 hours ago, Rajvosa said:

would love to hear your thoughts…

this is mine and very well sorted but not having much luck selling. Am I way off with the price? 

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2000-porsche-911-carrera-cabriolet-996-manual/SSE-AD-12408335

IMO price is fair, not a bargain but fair in todays market.

1 hour ago, CapnHyaku said:

TLDR: Honestly, no, you're not way off but it will take some time to move as the right buyer needs to come along for your configuration (more below).

Unfortunately, in my armchair opinion, the 996 C2 is in this grey zone for pricing since 2021.  They are now being priced just above what the average joe can finance who is looking to get a third fun car (in addition to their mortgage and two or three existing cars under finance).  But they are still considered the "cheap, beater" Porsche by too many of those with the wads of cash to plonk down right away.

The configuration you've got is in "tension" in my opinion.  A convertible, gen 1, but with a manual.  There are three main camps in my opinion for 996 C2 buyers:

1. The punter who wants to get in a Porsche 911 regardless of the configuration for various reasons (wants a sports car, or wants to impress girls, or to thrash at the local donut patch...)

2. The punter who is very "purist" oriented.  They want a manual coupe and will accept no substitute.  Must have 3 pedals, and convertibles are for hair-dressers.

3. The punter who is very "experience" oriented.  A drive on a back road with the top down is glorious.  And who cares about the number of gears or a clutch when cruising at 110 on a windy road with sweeping vistas and the wind in your hair.

In my experience there are more of the 2nd group actually making purchases but then holding on (I am biased as I am in that group, I lurked for 3 years then carpe-scrotum one day to make the purchase).

Your car (regardless of the actual service record and condition) commands a premium for the manual but the convertible holds it back.

You can sell to the 1st and 3rd group.  The 1st group will gravitate to the cheapest option (either through ignorance or desperation) and you are not in that bucket.  Your photos clearly show someone who takes pride in the car and treats it with the care it deserves.  The 3rd group will consider your car but will not value the transmission as much as they should in my opinion.

You can stick it out and someone who recognises the value will come along, it will be hard work for you as many people say "you buy the owner, not the car". You'll have to be top of your game with the enthusiasm to demonstrate the value in your car.  You might have dealt with 20 tyre kickers, but the eventual buyer will call you and it will be the first time for them.  You gotta stay positive and believe in yourself! 😄

If you price it at $55,000 it will move quickly to that 1st group.  But then you're taking a hit to save on the time to make a sale.

In short... no, not priced badly if all you outline in the ad is true and the car lives up to your photos (which are great by the way) but you'll need to be patient.

Good luck!

Well said!

I too was a lurker and researcher for 2 years till i pounced at xmas on my ideal 911.

I, like you have seen 996.2's go from being almost unloved and unwanted to now hard to find.

I was also fairly in camp 2; must be a coupe and manual. This is where the demand is. 

37 minutes ago, CapnHyaku said:

Carpe Scrotum - Seize life by the balls!

Carpe is Latin and it's literally 'pluck' in English. So what was said is 'pluck scrotum', not 'seize scrotum'. But I do understand that what your meant was took an opportunity to buy a car that you wanted.

Misappropriation of words is a common issue. 

Anyway, back to regular programming.... I think the car looks great, advert copy is good, location is an issue for most of the population but it can be fixed by asking for help (someone else on the forum did just that for a non Porsche car in recent days) and then transport it to home.

59 minutes ago, NAC911 said:

Well said!

I too was a lurker and researcher for 2 years till i pounced at xmas on my ideal 911.

I, like you have seen 996.2's go from being almost unloved and unwanted to now hard to find.

I was also fairly in camp 2; must be a coupe and manual. This is where the demand is. 

But OP only needs 1 serious person in the 3rd camp for a sale, that's all we ever need as a seller.  Price IMO is around fair value

Thanks for the feedback guys. Much appreciated. 

i know the fact it’s a convertible works against it. It’s as good in real life as in the pics. I’m in no rush to sell but was curious if I was way off in terms of pricing or if I should just sit and wait for the right buyer to come along. Thanks for the feedback! 

I have looked at the sales data, and the price is fair. If it was in QLD or NSW it probably would have sold by now, you may just need to be more patient as it's a smaller buyer pool - and it's unlikely to be purchased and taken interstate. 

I also just want to add that sports cars market especially Porsche here in Australia doesn't have high trading volume as opposed to ordinary cars, sometimes 2-3 months can pass where nothing gets sold, even if you have basement bargain priced car. Then suddenly there might comes a month where  a dozen cars get sold in short time span. Our market is not as large as US or UK market. 

I remember when I sold my 2002 MX-5, even at price level of 12k which I think was on the low end, I still had to wait almost 3 months I think before someone bought the car. 

The other thing is I still think that 996 even at its current price, still offer very good value for what you get. What other cars can offer you RWD drivetrain, high revving powerful NA engine, and of course the unique 911 RR drivetrain & pedigree for this price? I'm curious to know. Maybe if you forego RR drivetrain, Boxster / Cayman come close, but it's not like they're significantly cheaper either especially the 987 Cayman. 

All the JDM cars that the 996 was compared against e.g NSX, GTR all cost much higher than 996 now. (Even 996 turbo cost way less than good condition R34 GTR justified or not because of fast furious tax) 

12 minutes ago, rufmichan said:

The other thing is I still think that 996 even at its current price, still offer very good value for what you get. What other cars can offer you RWD drivetrain, high revving powerful NA engine, and of course the unique 911 RR drivetrain & pedigree for this price? I'm curious to know.

This!

It's a real Porsche and it's the car that saved the company (if you ignore the Boxster).  So under-valued, but other people turning their nose up is our gain! 😄 

27 minutes ago, CapnHyaku said:

It's a real Porsche and it's the car that saved the company (if you ignore the Boxster).

And a 924...and a 944...and a 928...

How many times did they need saving? 😅

20 hours ago, Rajvosa said:

would love to hear your thoughts…

this is mine and very well sorted but not having much luck selling. Am I way off with the price? 

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2000-porsche-911-carrera-cabriolet-996-manual/SSE-AD-12408335

Looks like a neat car. Hard to get the correct price on these at the moment, particularly on a cab. Even my car being a neat, sorted 'Category2' car was difficult to price. The issue is 996's are supposed to be the 'cheap entry' to 911's but the current prices have pushed them into a much higher price point. Now 997 buyers have found that if they still want a 911 they need to 'settle' for a 996, and the old 996 buyers are priced out of the market. When you are looking to buy your dream 'toy' you never really want to settle, so it will take a while for the punters to realign their expectations with the current reality. 

If you are in a hurry to sell then you will probably have to drop the price to suit the bargain category. If not, give it some time and if the car is great compared to all of the other options, it will find the right buyer.

Well said @CapnHyaku!

@Rajvosa two small observations: you’re selling a cab, but all pics are with the hardtop on. Maybe sell the dream of the top down on a coast road. Also for those who don’t know, mention of the Gundo hack might deter when originality seems to sell.  Price seems more than reasonable allowing for some negotiation. GLWS! Looks incredibly tidy. 

I'm biased as I'm contemplating a 996 cab. I appreciate the well taken photos and details. I bet it looks great in person with the paint job. I think what may be scaring buyers is the 140k kms.  I know this isn't crazy KMs given the age but i know many people who equate over 100k kms with "problems ahead".

IMO for a cab shopper there is also competition from early 987 boxsters which can be had in manual around $35k. 

I wonder if season is a factor, do convertibles sell better or worse in different seasons?

49 minutes ago, t888 said:

I wonder if season is a factor, do convertibles sell better or worse in different seasons?

Yep, Had a couple of Cabs over years, Not Porka's But not much fun in the wetter climates, Roof down and sunshine Magic :) still the odd occasion in the winter months for enjoyment, But Sunshine is the go.

2 hours ago, tomo said:

Yep, Had a couple of Cabs over years, Not Porka's But not much fun in the wetter climates, Roof down and sunshine Magic :) still the odd occasion in the winter months for enjoyment, But Sunshine is the go.

Dunno about that Tomo, Boxster is my wife's daily down in Tassie, roof is down when it's even a hint of being warm 🙂 

4 hours ago, t888 said:

I'm biased as I'm contemplating a 996 cab. I appreciate the well taken photos and details. I bet it looks great in person with the paint job. I think what may be scaring buyers is the 140k kms.  I know this isn't crazy KMs given the age but i know many people who equate over 100k kms with "problems ahead".

IMO for a cab shopper there is also competition from early 987 boxsters which can be had in manual around $35k. 

I worry about cars with too few kms just as much. These cars (and all cars really) work better when they are driven, and a car with say 20k kms that is over 20 years old has potentially just as many problems as a 250k km car. 

IMHO, with old cars, kms become less and less relevant. Buy on overall condition ;)

54 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Dunno about that Tomo, Boxster is my wife's daily down in Tassie, roof is down when it's even a hint of being warm 🙂 

I did agree on the "odd occasion in the winter months" :)