996-7 Turbo Market Watch

Yes...I’m not sure if it was a genuine TechArt build (if there’s such a thing locally) vs genuine aftermarket parts added locally. Price was high hence surprised it didn’t sit longer. 

2 hours ago, smit2100 said:

Aren't  they  in tip top   nick.  Eg subtle leather.  My thinking was conpletely opposite.  Eg  passenger front seat  is pristine.  

Passenger and rears look good but to me the drivers seat looks heavily crushed especially the seat bolster cushion closest to the door and noting 36,000 km on the odometer.

• 1 month later...

Have been watching 996 turbos for a couple of months and nothing seems to have happened. The one in SA with 22,000 kms looks great so is it only the price that stopping it from being sold,

Are the stories of these being the next porsche to jump in price put the sellers and buyers to far apart

On 03/07/2019 at 18:43, MP911 said:

Have been watching 996 turbos for a couple of months and nothing seems to have happened. The one in SA with 22,000 kms looks great so is it only the price that stopping it from being sold,

Are the stories of these being the next porsche to jump in price put the sellers and buyers to far apart

Have been watching 996 turbos for a couple of years  from  circa  2014 to 2018 with interest waning somewhat  after early  2016.  Had to lol at your nothing appears to be  happening  in the 2 months you have been tracking them.  You a millennial  or a speculative stock market player by any chance? During 2015 it was 10 months between cars sales ads for a manual turbo to pop up  and not all manuals are alike in condition.  Bit of a difference when it comes to owners thinking what they have and their asking  price  if you are a serious buyer in the market.    Turbos were a premium over 996 gt3's back in 2014 /15.   But times have changed. Had a quick look at current pricing and appears  a bump in ASKING  prices currently on the whole.

To answer your question, just some personnel views to note:

Two months is nothing in 996 turbo land if you are asking retail and wanting to off load.  You will get the odd wholesale price example that will go quick but  probably wont see the light of carsales or this forum.

Economic conditions aside I am of the view that used p car sales are generally  cyclical within a  year and based on the uv duco  index.  More likely to move when the duco's are  absorbing and  being exposed to higher levels of UV and you can put  k's on the car and not touch the duco for those not OCD on duco glossiness i.e  How many Vic Smt's will we see in the coming months where you would get to enjoy a newly purchased  996 turbo.

On that 140k example, not snapped up quick means if you are a serious buyer best to low ball  in offers and sit and wait , save rego insurance, etc for 3 months and see what else pops up. / what's moving what's  not moving.   I dont see any urgency.   If someone did buy it,  its likely to sit in someone's garage seeing  little direct uv over the coming months    Better to park your 140k and invest in whatever floats you boat  for a few months more and avoid any  ministers  of finance at least in the next  first 3 months saying you booted my daily out of the garage for that  thing and it just sits their.

2 adelaide cars with mezger engines circa similar low k's that appear both in good nick in terms of condition based on pics.  140k for a 996 turbo and 169k for a 997 gt3.  Assuming both cars have clean ppi's even at 120k for the 996 turbo,  that's  probably the smallest price gap between the those two cars ( similiar condition at least from pics) I have sighted in the last 5 years.

I'm a boost junky, but if my  circumstances were different I would of offloaded a 996 turbo for circa 120k along with  a bunch load of butt dyno feel better parts and seriously gone hard at that red  997 gt3.

Where is  the value in that comparison.  If potential price appreciation comes into the equation i'd take that 997gt3 all over the 996  turbo at that pricing. 

Haven't driven a 997gt3 and if pursuing it I would of brought it without driving if it passed a ppi to my liking. Plus  wouldn't say a stock 996  turbo out of the box is anything sensational if your a boost junky aside from handling. But spend a bit of coin on it with some tweaks and totally different outcome. I reckon I wouldn't be disappointed in a 997 gt3  out of the box with the tachometer over 5000 rpm.  No boost hit, but other areas that compensate particularly in the looks department.

So with a 30k difference in asking price and if you can stump up the extra cash  it's a 997gt3 every day of the week in terms of value particularly if you are going long speculatively in potential  price appreciation.  I reckon on watercooled, and mezgers , lower productions numbers (look at UK and oz combined) and a gt badge  will appreciate over a turbo badge ( plenty in Uk) over the long term. Hence why the gt3 sold (but  surprised how long that took) and the 996 turbo probably wont move at that price for another few months. 

In terms of initial maintenance on both cars if you have a heavy right foot, much more go faster aging  rubber bits on the turbo and I would be stunned if that 996 turbo with low k's has had one of its hose clamps even touched from the factory on  any of its boost or  cooling lines  or boost valves. In that average of 1500kms a year how often did the boost gauge see 0.7 bar.  I'd be a bit nervous smashing that around in second and third up the black spur. ( I'd be doing more than a  few freeway entrance boost hits and subsequent monitoring of potential boost leaks.       More coin to be spent over initial asking on the turbo me thinks for those in the know on addition preventative maintence to protect your initial outlay if it's not a garage queen.  That said I did come across a 997 gt3 on rennlist that  retro fitted some rear seats if lack of rear seats was a concern. Not sure how that would fly in oz or the cost.

Did you see the highly tweaked 996 turbo with an auto that is  asking 30k less than a 997gt2. that sold a few months ago. Is  that a typo in pricing.  If not, highest 996 turbo badged vehicle in Oz in the last 5 years that I have come across and not even a manual.  Bit like a heavily tweaked / rebuilt motored  996 turbo from perth that sat on car sales for 2 plus years for around the  110/120 mark.  I suspect that might stay even longer at that price.

Also wouldn't you drop circa 140k on a gt3 over a turbo if potential price appreciation is your primary driver. 

That all said, if you are into modding, a 996 turbo is one of the best bank for buck cars if you are seeking another 100 to 150 hp whereby  the engine performance still trails  the handling.( braking and non rubber suspension bits dont really need touching).  In that case, leave the low km ones so they can continue to become garage queens and save 20 to 30k and put it towards reliability and much better  butt dyno pleasure as an alrounder that does a lot of things well.  Eg probably hold its price but not convinced of any sizable price appreciation bumps going forward compared to gt badged mezgers.

In absence of 3 to 5 relatively  low km 996 turbos flying off car sales within a week at circa at 140k, better off chasing  gt  watercooled cars if you have a fistful of cash around 140 to 175k buy price  mark in the current economic climate me thinks over a 996 turbo  for a speccy buy.  Hence why that 140k will possible sit for a while at that price.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Anybody got a sensible view / opinion on fair market values range for a manual 996 TT,  Aust delivered,  in excellent and all original condition always serviced at PCM.  88K on the odometer ? 

Apologies I should have added; MY03 and Arctic Silver. 

12 hours ago, t888 said:

makes the manual 996 turbos around 90k a few months ago seem good value

How many manual turbos were going for around 90k.  Were they in good condition from a far or far from good and need decent cash injections to sort them out. So series 2 with lowish k's in good Nick   for near 4s pricing.  Not convinced.  Biased but if 4s's pushing 90k , cafe racer  is on the mark  with 110 to 125 pending condition 

1 minute ago, Thommo66 said:

yes mate, just trying to get a pulse on what thoughts are in this forum other than what I can obviously see for myself on carsales.  Trust I'm not breaking any forum rules ??

Upgrading to the next model up  in same colour with no boost? I.e 997gt3 itch

5 minutes ago, smit2100 said:

Upgrading to the next model up  in same colour with no boost? I.e 997gt3 itch

nice one !  ... I just don't drive mine enough anymore to enjoy it as much as I used to and this will sound very boring but will probably move into a Macan GTS