996-7 Turbo Market Watch

3 hours ago, CapnHyaku said:

I spoke to him on the phone this morning.  Apparently front left quarter and side damaged.  Engine not impacted.  No crabbing or resonance issues found under load.

The price is lower than others... but is it lot enough considering the unknowns.  You would have to hold onto it for a long, long time for it not to be an issue if you had to unload it again.

You polishing, driving it  or worried about resale.

First question is have you driven a tuned one.

If your into driving, its tuned, manual, appears   to be well looked after and  for under 6 figures up there with best bang for buck drivers cars.  That at circa 4s money ( need to shave a wad of pineapples off that asking  but still with maybe a  9 out front), its at least  30% more power and at least double that again for fun factor against a 4s.   Eg what has a 4s over that.  A NA engine  that sounds like .. not very  gt3 like.  Can only think of the rear light setup.  Who gives a toss about the rear light if you you have a boost gauge to keep and eye on that probable pushes past 1.0.  Hit the throttle on that car and above 5500 rpm with the window down,  very  NA  gt3  exhaust noteish.

Keep in mind the asking for these others you are comparing against  I suspect are a fair bit behind on preventative maintenence ( that car appears to be well  maintained ( could ring PR tech to confirm.)   If you reckon t h e others you are benchmarking against  are buy and nothing to spend, totally unconvinced, particularly if your after a drivers car.  Eg on the others I would ask when was the the engine and tranny mounts  last replaced.  I'd be  much more confident stomping on that routinely than its peers you are comparing against.

11 minutes ago, smit2100 said:

You polishing, driving it  or worried about resale.

Hey, don't get me wrong.  I was genuinely asking the question is it low enough given the unknowns.  I am talking in the general sense, you never truly know everything until you bought it and own it for a while.

Regarding owning it for a long time, I am talking about how once a car is old enough (and something desirable like a turbo) it won't matter.  The wrecked 959 still got repaired and is worth millions.

All that aside... Metzger, manual, dry sump, air sucking noises... the only reason I am here talking about it is because I want to drive it. 🙂

3 hours ago, CapnHyaku said:

Hey, don't get me wrong.  I was genuinely asking the question is it low enough given the unknowns.  I am talking in the general sense, you never truly know everything until you bought it and own it for a while.

Regarding owning it for a long time, I am talking about how once a car is old enough (and something desirable like a turbo) it won't matter.  The wrecked 959 still got repaired and is worth millions.

All that aside... Metzger, manual, dry sump, air sucking noises... the only reason I am here talking about it is because I want to drive it. 🙂

What about knowns. Not convinced your seeing what that car actually has.   You realise it appears there is at least  15 kplus  in go fast bits /  labour  over a stock one.  Eg k24 turbo's probably bigger intercoolers and custom tune, exhaust .  Good for  500hp. I reckon.   Autohaus / pr tech are top Indi's.  Car seems to be well maintained and for a tweaked turbo way better than stock. Great driving car I reckon,   good for 1 . 2 bar boost   and would expect well sorted and reliable.  Can't you call pr tech and autohaus and get actual info instead of talking general sense.

12 hours ago, smit2100 said:

Can't you call pr tech and autohaus and get actual info instead of talking general sense.

Sorry for not being specific enough.  I mean general sense in terms of it's been in an accident and there's no photo's (owner confirmed) to explore how good the repair was.  It's unknown in the general sense and hence the question if the price is low enough for a turbo that got WOVR'd.  You won't know how it feels, e.g. does it fly true or crab a bit? until you really drive it for a while under lots of different corners, speeds and conditions.

I did once own a badly repaired car once in my youth.  It was a... unique driving experience.  Apologies for being extra hesitant to dive right in.

You make very good points on the work done and the go-fast bits.

Let me put it this way: I've never bothered to call others, this one still has me seriously pondering.

It's a shame a documented record of repairs isn't available. Provenance and all. 

I don't think it'd be hard to find the repaired area. Tool marks on bolts gives it away underneath.

If a wheel alignment is achievable I'd believe it was straight in the chassis. Panel gaps and paint good the worry is over but the smell, you're never gunna get that out.

Wouldn't bother me if I wanted that model for driving. If it was gunna be a love her for a while affair I'd buy one easier to resell. 

"I don't think it'd be hard to find the repaired area. Tool marks on bolts gives it away underneath." Mate that is the understatement of the year, Some of the body builders about in the car world today are true craftsmen if there', s no paper work confirming the fact that the car is WOVR  9 times out of ten times you would not pick it .

Work out a price you can both live with and don’t look back. Looks like a well sorted car and he’s been very upfront about everything by the looks of it. I daresay you’ll have little concerns “buying the seller”.
Something in the $90’s seems pretty reasonable. This is roughly equivalent to Aussie tipper or UK import manual pricing. 
You can PPI for additional piece of mind of course. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Inspected a 997 turbo manual today, 2008 model. Neat car, but the owner flogged it a dozen times in a 20 min drive, approaching the rev limited on each instance in 1st or 2nd gear. That put me off from the car, but my friends think that's crazy. These machines are designed to be driven in a spirited fashion, but I do worry if it's been flogged this way regularly.

Thoughts? I am being unreasonable? I do think I should get a DME report. Any suggestions where I can get it without paying $900 for a visual PPI?

I get where you are coming from .. it make me cringe when I go to look at a car and the owner feels like he needs to wring it's neck to show you it works.

It would worry me from the perspective that I personally wouldn't treat my pride and joy like that, so why is someone else??

On the other hand, others are right .. they are built to go hard.

I personally just don't see the need to treat it like that. A report to put your mind at ease would definitely be worth it ..

6 hours ago, blue_ixxi said:

Inspected a 997 turbo manual today, 2008 model. Neat car, but the owner flogged it a dozen times in a 20 min drive, approaching the rev limited on each instance in 1st or 2nd gear. That put me off from the car, but my friends think that's crazy. These machines are designed to be driven in a spirited fashion, but I do worry if it's been flogged this way regularly.

Thoughts? I am being unreasonable? I do think I should get a DME report. Any suggestions where I can get it without paying $900 for a visual PPI?

If he was bouncing the thing off the limiter in each gear I’d be concerned but “Approaching the rev limiter”........umm, what’s the issue?

if you’re going to keep it under 5,000 rpm, buy a Carrera.......or a Boxster.  

6 hours ago, DJM said:

if you’re going to keep it under 5,000 rpm, buy a Carrera.......or a Boxste

100% 

If it presents well, and you like the car, just get a PPI with a DME report, leak down & compression test! That will tell you everything you need to know... 

The Mezger is tough... you can ride the limiter in gear and not kill it, just don't give it a mechanical over rev! 

21 hours ago, blue_ixxi said:

I wouldn't hesitate on spending 750-900 on a fully authorised/certified P dealership for detailed PPI report and peace of mind given a 200k purchase.   Only 10k on the clock is extremely low and these cars are built to be driven.  As previously mentioned the Metzker engine is legendary.  Over revs or anything else that's not visible to the naked eye is always worth getting checked.  Otherwise these P's are amazing.  Good luck with your inspection and purchase.

7 minutes ago, Thommo66 said:

I wouldn't hesitate on spending 750-900 on a fully authorised/certified P dealership for detailed PPI report and peace of mind given a 200k purchase.   Only 10k on the clock is extremely low and these cars are built to be driven.  As previously mentioned the Metzker engine is legendary.  Over revs or anything else that's not visible to the naked eye is always worth getting checked.  Otherwise these P's are amazing.  Good luck with your inspection and purchase.

Thanks. It wasn't the 10K mileage car. Don't want to turn off any prospective buyer for that car.

1 minute ago, blue_ixxi said:

Thanks. It wasn't the 10K mileage car. Don't want to turn off any prospective buyer for that car.

Ok.  Apologies my miss.  I've got a 996 man T and they are brilliant cars.  The 997 T is of course another step up again.   Can't go wrong if you find one you love driving and has great service history and all checks out mechanically.    

• 3 weeks later...

All the manual coupes are going except for the UK import 996.  Big jump then to 997s asking 200+ for 90km on them, seems over the odds to me, but if they're. moving it makes a market.  

It would seem a lot of the 996 manual coupes are now trading in the 140-160k range.  Does anyone have any insights into any recent transactions? 

4 hours ago, 1q2w3e4r said:

All the manual coupes are going except for the UK import 996.  Big jump then to 997s asking 200+ for 90km on them, seems over the odds to me, but if they're. moving it makes a market.  

It would seem a lot of the 996 manual coupes are now trading in the 140-160k range.  Does anyone have any insights into any recent transactions? 

So just whacked on a bunch of yellow bits a n d replaced inferior 996 factory parts with more upgraded 996 factory parts along with an ohlins coilover kit (now with revised ohlins worldwide recall replacement parts installed)   and some red tarret parts   Did i devalue the car even further and whats the discount factor against the above price guide.  Unless you put it on a lift and you are not hearing impaired it appears all stock.  Also thinking with a circa 25% improvement in braking / handling over stock, about to keep the boost proportionate to the braking / handling capability over stock.  whats the further discount if I send Kevin at UWM   a few logs.  Its already 40% over stock on boost and expect Kevin will get the boost guage up another 25% from where it is now. As you well know, buyers want stock ones that command higher pricing.   I would  not touch  a stock one ( boring and a massive backward step behind the wheel from a smile on dial perspective.  I'm a 1%er) I suppose  it would only take  circa 20 hours workshop time return it to stock ( have nearly all the parts excepts may need to stock up on used, nuts, bolts and washers that are missing.  Do I invest in those and  leave a set outside to weather)    and it only  5 minutes to swap the tune back to stock.  At current pricing, keeping those inferior stock parts  and spending the dollars to return it to stock and sell the better drivers replacentment parts  is a slam dunk from a bottom line perspective.  Your thoughts?