What did you do to your Porsche today ???

cyberpunky

There might be a grub screw on the base of the knob, or a nut you loosen off first,  then unscrew it

on the 915 itwas has a crush sleeve inside the knob that secures it to the shift lever.  Problem is that I don't have my vice here to clamp the lever securely. 

Spent the afternoon with an analyser up the clacka

And how did that make you feel? 

reminds me of a joke.

After successfully rebuilding and installing 50 yo twin carbs on one of the Mercs :), I relaxed with some wash/polish/wax work on the 944 and 911. Much easier with an orbital polisher.

The amphibious one is off to C&C tomorrow.

LF1_1.jpg

That's a real ol skool colour Tassie, love it!

on the 915 itwas has a crush sleeve inside the knob that secures it to the shift lever.  Problem is that I don't have my vice here to clamp the lever securely. 

And how did that make you feel? 

reminds me of a joke.

let's hear it 

It's hot so fitted this little trinket ... now looking for a naive outsider art knitted nana blankie

%5BURL=http://s615.photobucket.com/user/micheloaks/media/IMG_9139.jpg.html]IMG_9139.jpg

not to wish my troubles on anyone else, but good to see I'm not the only 1 Photobucket is giving the shits.

Tried cleaning these guys up.  Got the double sided tape off the back but the edges are hard to clean as they're rough.  Not sure how you'd re-anodise them either as they're wee little things.  I should just mount them up and forget them as I'll never 'see' them again.

B9CB8927-9342-4BC2-89F5-49EA1A40DA4C_zps

Wow check out the chest on this one!

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-19%20at%206.58.4

Cheers Dave and everyone else. I'll look into it more this week. Thinking of just grabbing some cement will be an easier option

Lee, my 2 cents worth.... you cannot legally do any works outside your property (this even includes putting your letterbox outside your property....), basically because it is not your property. Any works you will do will be void of any insurance coverage, the council will not cover any unauthorised works on their land and your insurance company will not cover you for works outside your land. Basically you need to pay one of their contractors or themselves to cover you, unfortunate but the way it is today......

Lee, my 2 cents worth.... you cannot legally do any works outside your property (this even includes putting your letterbox outside your property....), basically because it is not your property. Any works you will do will be void of any insurance coverage, the council will not cover any unauthorised works on their land and your insurance company will not cover you for works outside your land. Basically you need to pay one of their contractors or themselves to cover you, unfortunate but the way it is today......

Yeah, I kinda guessed that would be the case mate. S'pose what they don't know won't hurt them, yet I do understand the legal ramifications if they find out. My other alternative was to place a metal plate there, though that is probably more of a bad idea than cementing it myself. I laid some gravel there which helps, and also found that if I swing the front out a bit more, it lessens the scraping. I loved how the car handled in the hills yesterdat after lowering it, and the looks, so I won't be changing that.

Am contacting the council by phone today to try and sort something out, and have a lawyer in my pocket that knows this kinda thing, so we'll see if we get a guernsey and a middle finger to the council! :-) 

Righto, back on topic. My apologies for getting off of it

After successfully rebuilding and installing 50 yo twin carbs on one of the Mercs :), I relaxed with some wash/polish/wax work on the 944 and 911. Much easier with an orbital polisher.

The amphibious one is off to C&C tomorrow.

LF1_1.jpg

Can I have a view on the orbital polisher.  I have wanted to buy one but worried about creating swirl marks.  Is there a brand out there that is recommended and what is the trick to a smooth clean look.  I have always been a polish on (one cloth) and polish off (another cloth) person, using old nappies from when my daughter was a baby but now thinking of the orbital as with three cars just too hard on the arms and shoulders.  What's the recommended one to buy and how often do you change the pads etc?

The green 911 is cool too BTW....

Can I have a view on the orbital polisher.  

Cheers; the green one is very 70s , but quite a rare green. I've only seen two other fern green 911s ( a targa & a coupe) in Aust.

I bought this one for polishing

Trick is to use low speed and heed all warnings about pushing (just use weight of polisher and your arms to control) , sharp edges , moving it all the time so as not to cause hot spots. And to use just the type of polish you need - not too coarse  if it's just to buff out finer marks. It won't give you a perfect finish (you get what you pay for in equipment , materials and effort!) but saves a heap of elbow grease. 

Pad change when it gets grimy. Have a spare ready to go . Your arms will get tired unless you are a bit of a labourer. Rest often.

Lots of Youtube on this process.

Suggest you practise on another car first. Be gentle, always! One mistake and it will cost more than the polisher!

I bought a rotary polisher, Makita 9227CB.

I practiced on an old bonnet I got from a Smash Repair shop.

The rotary polisher is a faster machine to use so lessens the time on a detail.

Once you get used to it and make sure you keep the speed low and keep it moving, it gets the job done.

I finished a detail on my GT3 today using the Makita.......

Cheers,

Geoff.

Pic or it doesn't exist...

I spent a little more time on the bonnet...31 year old non clear coat red paint on a car used regularly and left in the elements takes a beating.

rr1.jpg

However , it's Porsche quality paint.

Then I thought I'd do the 15 minute annual oil change (1 of 9 cars I do each spring).

All fine until I went under to replace the sump plug and there was a pool of ~3 L oil over the concrete (even though I had carefully spread newspaper to catch any stray drips).:wacko: At that moment , her indoors came out to announce dinner was ready.

As I married the right person , there was no drama , just support & help :) My money in the bank was the 50 hours of parental driving instruction just completed with the youngest lad.