What did you do to your Porsche today ???

cyberpunky

Over the last couple of days  I went to work on the 911 to spruce it up a bit. I've only washed it since getting it in Feb. So, out came the masking tape and newspaper to mask up the rubbers etc and got to work with the clay bar, then and fired up the buffer. First a heavy cut, then a medium cut and polish then a good coat of Mothers wax. Finished off with a soft fluff buff. Did one panel at a time and didn't rush it. Spent about 10 hours on it so far and still one rear guard and engine lid to do.

And to think I used to do this years ago for $40 - 60 a time.

0xkoa8Z.jpg

7kf31Fq.jpg

How do you find the paint softness? Seems like the 964 has really hard paint.

Made a new window banner today... tried a metallic gold and whit text.... might swap it out for a matte black one. I'll see if this grows on my haha. ..... I also installed my new belts... original ones were frayed and faded so we got some fresh ones to stop me dying. 

31094641974_14981b7bfb_b.jpg

31094642294_be0a6305c3_b.jpg

31897162436_a74d7e0490_b.jpg

31124852843_b8cd26ed4d_b.jpg

break where did you get the new seat belts from?

How do you find the paint softness? Seems like the 964 has really hard paint.

Paint is quite hard. Orbital buff doesn't burn the edges so really great to get into the tricky spots.

Never thought to dry my beach towel on the tail....

Wish I had a tail.

Ha Ha. Not drying, There to keep the polishing dust out of the screen on the tail.

Thought I'd have a look at some small fiddly things on the 924T today and it turned out quite productive .......

Horn wasn't working so I pulled off the steering wheel and worked out how it all worked .... could get the relay to click but no toot toot. Pulled all the wires and cleaned the contacts. Got under the car and cleaned the terminals on the car. I now have a working horn half the time .... (it depends on the position of the steering wheel). There is a simple fix for it as found on other forums, so I'll tackle that tomorrow.

Sorted out the rear hatch light coming on and off with the hatch open / closed.

Looked at the interior light and it now works 100% correctly with the doors and all ....

Replaced some blown mini globes in the gauges and all now 100% .....

Still some more fiddly bits, but that will be on the next post.

It really is the small victories that feel the biggest .....  :D 

Thought I'd have a look at some small fiddly things on the 924T today and it turned out quite productive .......

Horn wasn't working so I pulled off the steering wheel and worked out how it all worked .... could get the relay to click but no toot toot. Pulled all the wires and cleaned the contacts. Got under the car and cleaned the terminals on the car. I now have a working horn half the time .... (it depends on the position of the steering wheel). There is a simple fix for it as found on other forums, so I'll tackle that tomorrow.

Sorted out the rear hatch light coming on and off with the hatch open / closed.

Looked at the interior light and it now works 100% correctly with the doors and all ....

Replaced some blown mini globes in the gauges and all now 100% .....

Still some more fiddly bits, but that will be on the next post.

It really is the small victories that feel the biggest .....  :D 

Agree, totally fixing all the niggly little things that take time but not many bucks can be really satisfying tinkering around with your baby

My poor car went for 9 months without a wash (not a typo). Given its almost due for a service, and I'm going for a blast up to Orange tomorrow I decided to spruce her up. She doesn't know it yet, but shes being retired from daily driving duties in under a month so this is a last hurrah. Unfortunately I didn't take any photos of when it was completely done - I was too knackered from rubbing at those bits of film in front of the rears.

Speaking of the film, should I rip that off? I'm assuming the dealer put that on there when the car was sold, which makes it 10 years now.

My son wondering why dad won't take him for a drive...

letsgodad.jpg

Yeah - i'm not letting the car get this dirty again

dirtremoval.jpg

Getting there, but not quite done

almostdone.jpg

break where did you get the new seat belts from?

I got them from Design 911 in the UK... I hunted around and these were not the cheapest by far... but really good quality and perfect fit... took about 45mins to do both. 

Only thing was the stalks dont pivot like the Og's... the original bolt does not fit so using the hardware supplied I bolted them to the right position and they are all good. They flex unlike the originals so I think that is why they are like this. 

http://www.design911.com/SEAT-BELTS---FRONT-VERTICAL-B-PILLER-MOUNT---FLOOR-BUCKLES-with-L-Bracket-PAIR/prod132434/

My poor car went for 9 months without a wash (not a typo). Given its almost due for a service, and I'm going for a blast up to Orange tomorrow I decided to spruce her up. She doesn't know it yet, but shes being retired from daily driving duties in under a month so this is a last hurrah. Unfortunately I didn't take any photos of when it was completely done - I was too knackered from rubbing at those bits of film in front of the rears.

Speaking of the film, should I rip that off? I'm assuming the dealer put that on there when the car was sold, which makes it 10 years now.

My son wondering why dad won't take him for a drive...

letsgodad.jpg

Yeah - i'm not letting the car get this dirty again

dirtremoval.jpg

Getting there, but not quite done

almostdone.jpg

You can still buy the OEM film from Porsche, I replaced them on my earlier 991 & from memory price was reasonable (well, reasonable for porsche), worth doing though IMHO. I sourced them through PCSS but I'm surevthere are after market as well.