What did you do to your Porsche today ???

cyberpunky

Don't label me a cyclist Lee, lycra aint my go hahahha ...  nah meant motorcyclists like me n you! I know you've raced do you still have a few bikes? No shaved legs here, I'm more the leather type!

Ah ok, oops! 

I haven't owned a bike for a few years since I stopped racing mate. Always been on sportbikes, though my old knee's and wrists need a Harley Vrod now. They have a Porsche designed engine, so I'd still kinda be in the P family if I owned one. Not really on the radar though

Ah ok, oops! 

I haven't owned a bike for a few years since I stopped racing mate. Always been on sportbikes, though my old knee's and wrists need a Harley Vrod now. They have a Porsche designed engine, so I'd still kinda be in the P family if I owned one. Not really on the radar though

Had a vrod vrscx, new 07 .. Top bike!

Speaking of Motor Bikes...I was driving on Peninsula Link last weekend, and I was passed by a great looking motorbike.  

it was black and had PORSCHE written in red across the fuel tank.

The rider had a Harley Davison Leather Jacket.  

I'm thinking it may have been something like this but definitely had the PORSCHE name on it.

http://www.porscheengineering.com/peg/en/services/ourreferences/harleydavidson/

Width of the back wheel was mind boggling.  I'm not into bikes at all, but whatever this was it was a head turner...

Edited by Niko

My 944 has had a rattly driver's side window since I bought it. On Friday the power window wouldn't work. Long story short , the window was jammed and the motor seized. So I pulled the motor , had to drill the backing plate off to properly clean it out , reassemble with bolts and sealant - all good. And before that I had to cut the wiring as the plug wouldn't come off in situ - so had to solder new wire in (no way the cheap crimp solution in a door cavity). Getting back to the rattle , (and a relatively common problem) the lower portion of the window rail was adrift...seem to be spot welded, plus some epoxy like stuff around? There was a hole in the channel so I drilled into the door jamb and installed a steel rivet . There is no other way to properly fix this issue. Good luck welding in that deep dark hole.

Using my wife , I reinstalled the window (always a bit tricky) ; all good. The door moisture barrier had failed (someone's been there before) ; a new one fashioned from a plant grow tube is just the fix. Now I've had to splice in some thin mdf to replace a small section of rotten doorcard caused by moisture ingress.

The usual mission creep on old cars! 

Probably a $1000 job at the mechanics.

My 944 has had a rattly driver's side window since I bought it. On Friday the power window wouldn't work. Long story short , the window was jammed and the motor seized. So I pulled the motor , had to drill the backing plate off to properly clean it out , reassemble with bolts and sealant - all good. And before that I had to cut the wiring as the plug wouldn't come off in situ - so had to solder new wire in (no way the cheap crimp solution in a door cavity). Getting back to the rattle , (and a relatively common problem) the lower portion of the window rail was adrift...seem to be spot welded, plus some epoxy like stuff around? There was a hole in the channel so I drilled into the door jamb and installed a steel rivet . There is no other way to properly fix this issue. Good luck welding in that deep dark hole.

Using my wife , I reinstalled the window (always a bit tricky) ; all good. The door moisture barrier had failed (someone's been there before) ; a new one fashioned from a plant grow tube is just the fix. Now I've had to splice in some thin mdf to replace a small section of rotten doorcard caused by moisture ingress.

The usual mission creep on old cars! 

Probably a $1000 job at the mechanics.

Fun isn't it.... :)

With the right tool (not cheap!) and crimps, a crimp is not a cheap solution. I am using crimp connectors in mine, they have the added benefit of glue lined heat shrink on them (you can buy them like this) no moisture is getting in there plus a really strong join!

With the right tool (not cheap!) and crimps, a crimp is not a cheap solution. I am using crimp connectors in mine, they have the added benefit of glue lined heat shrink on them (you can buy them like this) no moisture is getting in there plus a really strong join!

The best tool I bought is proper trade quality wire strippers. I strangely , and probably  for nostalgic childhood reasons enjoy soldering and cutting little lengths of shrinktube to fit as well. It's not like I have anything else to fix around the place ;) 

The best tool I bought is proper trade quality wire strippers. I strangely , and probably  for nostalgic childhood reasons enjoy soldering and cutting little lengths of shrinktube to fit as well. It's not like I have anything else to fix around the place ;) 

Try and get glue lined heat shrink if you can, shrink ratio is much higher too - usually 3:1 but sometimes 4:1 vs 2:1 for normal

This is the joiners to use.

butt_crimp_heatshrink_parent.jpg

plus a tool like this http://www.quikcrimp.com.au/crimp-tool-professional-pre-insulated-terminals-0560.html#product-tabs2

Porsche kid for life there mate! 

Thats for sure. My older one is a big fan of the newer models but no 2 is well into the investment grade stuff. And now that he's seen the opening 7 minutes of Le Mans he's put his name on the '73 E.

My wife just shakes her head despondently...