Current Insurance Landscape..

JB

On 16/02/2022 at 12:46, PorschePete said:

Hi all,

just resurrecting this thread... has anyone had any positive or negative experience with Dawes insurance through Porsche Insurance? if so, have they been easy to claim in the event of an accident?

with the rising used car values i've noticed a lot of the mainstream insurers are not giving high agreed values.

so for me its currently a toss up between Dawes Insurance (through Porsche) and Shannons.

TIA

A mate here in Adelaide had a shocking experience with a Porsche write-off claim with Dawes who (he says) did everything they could to be difficult including suggesting the claim was fraudulent. I'm not sure why it played out like it did  but was a nightmare.  

2 hours ago, mhh said:

A mate here in Adelaide had a shocking experience with a Porsche write-off claim with Dawes who (he says) did everything they could to be difficult including suggesting the claim was fraudulent. I'm not sure why it played out like it did  but was a nightmare.  

right ! that's no good! I have to admit i just decided to go with Dawes as Shannons had only a listed driver policy which is a bit more restrictive for my use. 

fingers crossed i don't have the same experience as your friend!

47 minutes ago, PorschePete said:

right ! that's no good! I have to admit i just decided to go with Dawes as Shannons had only a listed driver policy which is a bit more restrictive for my use. 

fingers crossed i don't have the same experience as your friend!

Yeah, the listed driver only cover applies to my 996.1GT3 (but not the other 2 cars), so if I wanted anyone else to be able to drive the GT3 I'd have to ring up Shannons, have the extra person answer all their questions to be added to the policy for a limited time.  Be a bugger if you're trying to sell a car and a purchaser quite rightly wanted to do a test drive - the only way it would be comparatively easy is if they were also a Shannons customer and they had all the info already........

yes that's the issue. Plus i also have close friends drive the car on occasion so hence why went with Dawes instead of shannons - they didn't have a listed driver requirement. if it wasn't for this restriction i would have happily gone with Shannons

Interesting regarding listed drivers only with Shannon's. I better check my policies!

I went with them for all my vehicles because I want to be able to let people drive my cars. Otherwise I would have investigated insurers like Enthusiast who I've heard offer good premiums as Listed drivers only... 

42 minutes ago, Dalai said:

Interesting regarding listed drivers only with Shannon's. I better check my policies!

I went with them for all my vehicles because I want to be able to let people drive my cars. Otherwise I would have investigated insurers like Enthusiast who I've heard offer good premiums as Listed drivers only... 

Martin, we have had no issue with the Boxsters, or my 996.2 C2, it was only when I added the GT3 that the restriction was added.  Presumably because it is a GT car and they figure the higher performance will be restricted to the owners I guess.  Would interested to know whether a "mere" 991 or 992 Carrera, which would have a greater performance capability that the GT3 I suspect, have driver restrictions??  I did enquire about having the restriction removed at last renewal (and insured value increase) but no go

Sometimes a named driver policy will also allow for occasional use (1%), such as a friend or family member, or a test-drive. My old named driver policy had that in place (can't remember the insurer though, was through a broker). Check your policy or ask your broker.

I use Archer Insurance as brokers for insurance on everything, they're great. DM me if anyone wants an intro to the specific broker I deal with.

18 hours ago, edgy said:

I've had a number of cars insured with Porsche (Dawes) and unfortunately had to claim a couple of times... never had an issue with getting a claim honoured and choice of repairer etc 

ok great - thanks for the feedback!

• 10 months later...
16 minutes ago, 911 said:

My insurance has just come up. 

Premium has raised a bit, but agreed value has too. 

1988 Aussie 911 Coupe $1,600 Premium, $220,000 agreed value, Shannon's. 

Couldn't get close with anyone else. 

I gave Shannon’s a call last week- popped into my head to follow up and query the premium increases my policy had.

At the time of receiving it I thought to have MB quote - they were more. 

I had a good customer service representative on the phone with Shannon’s that was straight down the line in how he spoke- I like that- but weird explanation to my increases which I wasn’t sure if fictional or not.

One car was up considerably and he said it’s almost 15% up, if it was 15% up it would trigger an internal investigation. It wasn’t 15% so if it wasn’t for me calling…. They reduced it back down to basically where it was. 

Joy.

29 minutes ago, 911 said:

My insurance has just come up. 

Premium has raised a bit, but agreed value has too. 

1988 Aussie 911 Coupe $1,600 Premium, $220,000 agreed value, Shannon's. 

Couldn't get close with anyone else. 

Is that with limited km’s? Seems like a great price considering your agreed value 

23 minutes ago, MARTY said:

Is that with limited km’s? Seems like a great price considering your agreed value 

Yes it is. Under 5000kms. 

For the reference I tried Lumley who came in at $1,600 for $190,000 agreed value and MB insurance wouldn't go higher than $95,000 agreed value with a $1,100 premium. 

• 1 month later...
On 09/01/2023 at 14:51, Peter John said:

I gave Shannon’s a call last week- popped into my head to follow up and query the premium increases my policy had.

At the time of receiving it I thought to have MB quote - they were more. 

I had a good customer service representative on the phone with Shannon’s that was straight down the line in how he spoke- I like that- but weird explanation to my increases which I wasn’t sure if fictional or not.

One car was up considerably and he said it’s almost 15% up, if it was 15% up it would trigger an internal investigation. It wasn’t 15% so if it wasn’t for me calling…. They reduced it back down to basically where it was. 

Joy.

Unfortunately not my experience. I have cars insured all over the place ( NRMA VVC, Porsche Insurance and Shannons). Three are with Shannons and up for renewal this month. Same insured values, terms and garaging etc as last year, but all premiums are up significantly with two over 15% (17% and 19% respectively), called to enquire and told there is nothing more they can do, things just cost more this year... Looks like I'll be shopping around again...

For reference (Shannons):

1990 964 - Insured Value $180,000, Excess $1,800, $1,655 (Club Use)

2011 Boxster Spyder - Insured Value $140,000, Excess $1,400, Premium $2,438 (Extreme Limited Use)

2018 Macan GTS - Insured Value $80,000, Excess $1,800, Premium $2,378 (Daily)

15 hours ago, itsujack said:

Unfortunately not my experience. I have cars insured all over the place ( NRMA VVC, Porsche Insurance and Shannons). Three are with Shannons and up for renewal this month. Same insured values, terms and garaging etc as last year, but all premiums are up significantly with two over 15% (17% and 19% respectively), called to enquire and told there is nothing more they can do, things just cost more this year... Looks like I'll be shopping around again...

For reference (Shannons):

1990 964 - Insured Value $180,000, Excess $1,800, $1,655 (Club Use)

2011 Boxster Spyder - Insured Value $140,000, Excess $1,400, Premium $2,438 (Extreme Limited Use)

2018 Macan GTS - Insured Value $80,000, Excess $1,800, Premium $2,378 (Daily)

My policy with Shannons (3 cars) also went up a fair bit. I'll dig it out later but I want to say greater than 10%. Supposedly if you put 6 cars on the one policy you get a fleet rate. I'll need to move some cars over to check if that is true.

14 hours ago, sleazius said:

Supposedly if you put 6 cars on the one policy you get a fleet rate. I'll need to move some cars over to check if that is true.

Vehicles including trailers, laid up cover and third party. My daily Forester was hail damaged early 2020 so went 3rd party only. 2 cars laid up cover (historic AF2 car and Datsun 1600 which I still haven't got on the road), the 84 911, 92 MR2 turbo, 92 GSXR1100 on Club plates and the enclosed trailer for the AF2. I still need to call and get the historic Formula Vee and it's trailer added plus provide my CAMS licence number as this provides a discount too!

Received a reasonable discount when adding the 6th meant the premium stayed the same.

My monthly premiums only went up ~$10 last month though they did drop the MR2 value by $3K to $27K... Not ideal as that won't cover the full value once the engine rebuild is finished but you never recoup mods anyway.

No harm getting a quote. 

19 hours ago, Joz said:

Just beware of loyalty tax.

My sons premium went up 30% without any claims (not a Porsche). We changed.

Yep, every year I have to do the dance 🤬

5 hours ago, Dalai said:

Vehicles including trailers, laid up cover and third party. My daily Forester was hail damaged early 2020 so went 3rd party only. 2 cars laid up cover (historic AF2 car and Datsun 1600 which I still haven't got on the road), the 84 911, 92 MR2 turbo, 92 GSXR1100 on Club plates and the enclosed trailer for the AF2. I still need to call and get the historic Formula Vee and it's trailer added plus provide my CAMS licence number as this provides a discount too!

Received a reasonable discount when adding the 6th meant the premium stayed the same.

My monthly premiums only went up ~$10 last month though they did drop the MR2 value by $3K to $27K... Not ideal as that won't cover the full value once the engine rebuild is finished but you never recoup mods anyway.

No harm getting a quote. 

Do you get your own dedicated account manager with that lot 😂

This is NSW, Shannons group policy:

2018 GT3 350k insured - premium $4042 (no change)

2000 WRX STI Type R Limited $150k insured - premium $2242.82 (up $300)

2016 AMG GT-S - premium $3732 (up $510), valuation down by $10k, which makes it less than half the GT3, yet the premium is almost the same, $170k insured.

Fun times.

On 14/02/2023 at 09:31, sleazius said:

My policy with Shannons (3 cars) also went up a fair bit. I'll dig it out later but I want to say greater than 10%. Supposedly if you put 6 cars on the one policy you get a fleet rate. I'll need to move some cars over to check if that is true.

That's good to know, I'll check as I've got 7 vehicles insured with them, premium comes in about $9.5k annually including roadside.  Premium's and agreed value were largely fine year to year on what was carried over, as I checked when it was just renewed in October.  I did add two vehicles in September though.

Spoke with them earlier, they couldn't do much about the Merc, said it was an industry wide thing for Merc currently. I had shopped around earlier and found a similar thing. Laid up insurance is well worth it though, I put 2 more cars on my policy at $250k total value between the 2 and it cost ~$600.

• 2 months later...

Just some extra info - I've been with Shannons for 20+ years. Renewal just came through and for a 996 C2 with agreed value @ $55K they wanted $2K (up ~17%). That's with 3 vehicles + home and contents with them too. Haven't made a claim in 15 years.

Wouldn't budge on pricing.

MB quoted me $1,400 for the same, so sadly moved away from Shannons - they've always been good to deal with, but it seems the last few years there are a whole lot more marketing promotions vs. good customer service.

Also had my bike premium go up by ~$20%. QBE actually answered the phone and saved me another couple hundred dollars. Happy enough with that.

Bottom line, loyalty means nothing today. Shop around.