INTRODUCTION THREAD

5 minutes ago, RobCarrera said:

Many thanks!!...and I intend to. 

Has anyone here bought the Fister mufflers from the US? I've been thinking getting them instead of modding my existing mufflers. I've read that some people haven't liked the gundo hack. It seems that some are done better than others, were I think everyone who has Fister mufflers are wrapped in them.

Congrats Rob, nice looking car.

The Gundo and the Fister are mods that you can do to your standard exhaust, they just vary in the spot where the bypass pipe is welded.

I also read the forums and was undecided as I read that some people believed the Gundo to be too loud. In the end I went for the Gundo mod as i don't use it as a daily; I really like the tone and actually don't think it would be too overbearing even in daily use.

Cheers

Great looking 996 Rob. i did the same mod as the vid, only difference is I used 1 inch & 3/4 pipe.

Mine is a 2005 C2S 997 but same principle. That 1 inch & 1/2 sounds really good on the video as my car is a bit louder again.

I'm happy with the results and no drone. At $300 an absolute bargain mod.

Hi Guy's, we've finally secured our first 911, a 2001 996.1 Carrera Tip with 94,00 km's it has the AMG Paddle shifters installed on a spare wheel that's currently fitted, (honestly i don't think I'd want the Tip without the paddles) it has the leather optioned dash which really lif ts the interior feel. It does have the K&N cold air intake which i know doesn't give any more HP but damn it does sound good ! (original airbox was provided, i am also wanting to do something with the exhaust and thinking Gundo hack but hoping its not too loud ?

just had it paint corrected and ceramic coated and even though it was pretty good when we bought it, it has now gone to another level !

92o60957.jpg

9961.jpg

9964.jpg

Wow, love it Julian1. Looks brilliant and congratulations. And my all-time favourite wheels on the 996! Let me know if you'd ever like to swap them for some Turbo Twists.

I'm also new here with a similar car, but Speed Yellow Manual. Would love to see some pics of the interior if you have them?

Cheers
Rob

39 minutes ago, RobCarrera said:

Wow, love it Julian1. Looks brilliant and congratulations. And my all-time favourite wheels on the 996! Let me know if you'd ever like to swap them for some Turbo Twists.

I'm also new here with a similar car, but Speed Yellow Manual. Would love to see some pics of the interior if you have them?

Cheers
Rob

thanks Rob, yes the wheels are awesome when they're clean but cleaning them takes time ! but sorry i will have to keep them as they were optioned from new on it. i was watching your Speed Yellow one as i really wanted a manual and yours looked in almost in concourse condition from the pictures and video's, but it was just to out of my budget i'm surprised it needed those things doing with the price he was asking !

There was some aggressive negotiations on the price which put it where it should be, but yes, it could pass as a new car which is why I liked it so much despite all of the work it needs. All of that can be done at my pace and so I know exactly what has been done. In the end I'll be left with a very new car. Manual was a must for me, one of my 'not negotiables'.

I still love your wheels, I'll be on the hunt for a set at a later date, they add a little aggression to the soft shape of the 996. I can understand why you would keep them.

1 hour ago, Julian1 said:

Hi Guy's, we've finally secured our first 911, a 2001 996.1 Carrera Tip with 94,00 km's it has the AMG Paddle shifters installed on a spare wheel that's currently fitted, (honestly i don't think I'd want the Tip without the paddles) it has the leather optioned dash which really lif ts the interior feel. It does have the K&N cold air intake which i know doesn't give any more HP but damn it does sound good ! (original airbox was provided, i am also wanting to do something with the exhaust and thinking Gundo hack but hoping its not too loud ?

just had it paint corrected and ceramic coated and even though it was pretty good when we bought it, it has now gone to another level !

I completely agree the induction noise is a great improvement.

Congratulations on your purchase.

On 21/12/2021 at 11:12, RobCarrera said:

Hey guys, first post for me and to show off my new (to me) Speed Yellow 996.1. I've had it for just over a week now and couldn't be happier. It's had a very easy life with only 84,000km on the clock and could pass as a two year old car. The condition is what sold me on the car after being very close to settling on a 987S, I only went to have a look at this because I'd never driven a water-cooled 911 and wanted a basis for comparison (hated Yellow and the owner was asking waaaaay too much for it). He had it for 12 years and had looked after it by only putting on 28,000km in that time. It is completely stock with the only mod being the window tinting. Having said that it does need ALL of the things that these cars need at this time in their lives like: IMS, RMS, clutch, upper and lower control arms, brakes, engine mounts, plus a few smaller jobs. The plan is for it to go in and get the IMS/RMS/clutch and rear suspension done in one hit some time late January. I've had EMD Automotive in Carringbah do the PPI, so they'll most likely do the work for me unless anyone has any suggestions. I also have a list of things that I'd love to do as well, first being the gundo hack, as it is way too quiet for a 911. I may do a short-shift as well. Any advice and guidance is welcomed and much appreciated.

I would highly recommend the Numeric Racing short shift kit as a very satisfied customer. 

Unlike most others every part is metal, it just looks and feels a superbly engineered design and it has three different positions that it can be set in allowing you some adjustability regarding how it sets up to suit you.

https://store.numericracing.com/collections/transmission/products/adjustable-short-shifter-porsche-986-987-996-997

Thanks for that Carrera28, I have been eyeing those off for a while, pretty XXXy though. I'm assuming that's what you have fitted? Did you do the cables as well?

The gearchange in my car is very tight and smooth, just a little long. It may have to wait until I have a better reason to change it, or try and add it on when I do the IMS/clutch etc.

1 hour ago, RobCarrera said:

There was some aggressive negotiations on the price which put it where it should be, but yes, it could pass as a new car which is why I liked it so much despite all of the work it needs. All of that can be done at my pace and so I know exactly what has been done. In the end I'll be left with a very new car. Manual was a must for me, one of my 'not negotiables'.

I still love your wheels, I'll be on the hunt for a set at a later date, they add a little aggression to the soft shape of the 996. I can understand why you would keep them.

well done it was a nice purchase, i assume the things that are in need of doing weren't urgent just tings to be done in the future ? i think the 2001 996.1 is a unique year model as it has a few 996.2 features and switch gear yet has the true fried egg headlights.  

Yeah, the 2001 was the last year of the series 1, so it had a few series 2 thinks like the E-throttle, the three spoke steering wheel the option of traction control etc (which mine doesn't have). I actually prefer the cleaner look of the Series 1 too. There's nothing super urgent to get done, but I want to get the IMS done ASAP as this year model had the single row baring that is the most susceptible to failure, it also ticks the other boxes of low km and lightly driven. The previous owner didn't take it the 5k rpm, which I exceeded on my test drive. I want to be able to drive this as intended without worrying about potential failure. I'll do all of the 'while you're in there' jobs as well, which will be a new clutch, RMS, replacing the overflow tank and any plastic parts and pipes that need doing. This thing is a long term proposition for me, so I don't mind it taking a couple of years to get everything done, the mechanic that did the PPI is the ex-head tech at Porsche south Sydney and really knows his stuff, so I'll most likely get him to do all of the work. He's written up a list of jobs to do in priority. I'm looking at buying the Fister mufflers from FD motorsports so I can keep my stock ones which are in perfect condition. Damn, long post, sorry.

2 hours ago, RobCarrera said:

Yeah, the 2001 was the last year of the series 1, so it had a few series 2 thinks like the E-throttle, the three spoke steering wheel the option of traction control etc (which mine doesn't have). I actually prefer the cleaner look of the Series 1 too. There's nothing super urgent to get done, but I want to get the IMS done ASAP as this year model had the single row baring that is the most susceptible to failure, it also ticks the other boxes of low km and lightly driven. The previous owner didn't take it the 5k rpm, which I exceeded on my test drive. I want to be able to drive this as intended without worrying about potential failure. I'll do all of the 'while you're in there' jobs as well, which will be a new clutch, RMS, replacing the overflow tank and any plastic parts and pipes that need doing. This thing is a long term proposition for me, so I don't mind it taking a couple of years to get everything done, the mechanic that did the PPI is the ex-head tech at Porsche south Sydney and really knows his stuff, so I'll most likely get him to do all of the work. He's written up a list of jobs to do in priority. I'm looking at buying the Fister mufflers from FD motorsports so I can keep my stock ones which are in perfect condition. Damn, long post, sorry.

i am liking the series 1 996 look more and more as it is the true fried egg model, ugly duckling of the 911's ! Let me know on the Fisters, I'm a bit like you not wanting to chop up the original exhaust, what sort of pricing are they landed in Oz ?

The Fisters are $1,250 + 295 shipping. I think that is USD, but not sure. I've asked a heap of questions and just awaiting the response. It would be way cheaper to cut up the originals in Oz though. I was parked next to a 997 when having a service and actually preferred the shape of the 996. I didn't really notice before but the 997 has a bit of a 'hunchback' look to it, the lines aren't as clean (controversial, I know).

On 22/12/2021 at 15:08, RobCarrera said:

Thanks for that Carrera28, I have been eyeing those off for a while, pretty XXXy though. I'm assuming that's what you have fitted? Did you do the cables as well?

The gearchange in my car is very tight and smooth, just a little long. It may have to wait until I have a better reason to change it, or try and add it on when I do the IMS/clutch etc.

I have fitted it in mine a few years ago and have never regretted it.  I did not do the gear cables as I researched the pros and cons of replacing the cables and decided I preferred going with stock.

Unfortunately you pay for well built items combined with the Porsche tax. 

I really like the fact that every part is metal which means there are no plastic parts to potentially wear or break, plus I like the fact that it has three positions as it allows a little bit of adjustment to get the shift throw you like.

I found that with the standard shift the shift was too long relative to the clutch pedal travel and when shifting on the track I would every now and then crunch a gear as I didn't shift fast enough.  After fitting this kit (I chose the middle setting so certainly not the most aggressive setting) I found the shift throw and clutch pedal travel were a perfect fit match.  I also fitted the alcantara shift knob from the 996 GT3 RS and now have a shift look and feel that I really like.

The only minor criticism of the Numeric kit is that it almost seems a shame to hide away such a beautifully engineered and built piece of equipment beneath the centre console.

8 hours ago, RobCarrera said:

That my be on my wish list for next year. Can I ask where you bought your Numeric shifter from Carrera28?

Unfortunately, we all got COVID for Christmas this year, so the whole family is in iso...can't even go out for a drive...which is killing me!!!

Sympathies regarding COVIS, hopefully you all recover quickly without any side effects.

I got mine from here:

https://www.rennline.com/Competition-Shifter/productinfo/S-111-NR-CS/

• 2 weeks later...