INTRODUCTION THREAD

Hi,

Posting my bikes in the 'Not Porsche' thread reminded my I needed to say hi here. I've been watching the forum for a while and have gotten some great advice while I've been looking for the right car.

Ever since they came out in '16 I've wanted a Cayman GT4 but have never had the right combination of time, money & garage space until recently. I had a search out on carsales for nearly a year when my perfect car appeared (a bit annoyingly right as I was about to buy an '84 SC...). Once I saw this one though I knew I couldn't let it go. My perfect colour and spec: Clubsport pack, LWB seats, full leather dash and only 11000km. I've put another 4000km on it pretty quickly including a track day and love it!

Now I just need to get on with finding the right air cooled 911...

IMG_9803.thumb.jpg.23933bb72f04922c9f9cf270edbacff1.jpg

IMG_8511.thumb.jpg.85af4a1281aa3c7f773d1f762d93b62e.jpg

IMG_8041.thumb.JPG.79e97da30452afeb29114f60f19cf605.JPG

Hi, I bought Mike D'Silva's Carrera 3.0 and now have the old darlin' at home. Took a while to get the Victorian RWC sorted (those who live in Vic know what that can be like) and then did a few tasks to give an an initial start, with more personalisation to come. The car was used as a track car in the USA and setup pretty well for the purpose, so have taken the ride height down to roughly where it was then (Mike had to raise the ride height due to his steep driveway), bought a set of 7" & 8" Fuchs reps from Cameron at Classic Wheels Australia - great operator, highly recommended and made some tuning adjustments on the engine with more to come. Being looked after by Mike Jacobsen at Spyder Automobiles - so very good - and got it home j-u-s-t before the latest Vic lockdown, so spent the weekend cleaning / waxing. Comes up well, look forward to catching up with some of you soon!

IMG_3071.jpeg

IMG_3074.jpeg

IMG_3073.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Niko said:

Welcome StockyDude, Mikes sad loss, your gain.  

Gorgeous car. Congratulations. Hopefully we might see you on.a run if and whenever we are ever allowed to go further than 5K

Bet you're busting to go for a blat😁

"Bursting" is right Niko - drove it home from Spyder at Warragul in the dark and pouring rain, so nothing special - although I DID do a "bubble buddy" visit yesterday so better than just the 5K radius.

Hanging out for Dan to free us up a little so that I can get to know the car a bit!

Just now, Stockydude said:

"Bursting" is right Niko - drove it home from Spyder at Warragul in the dark and pouring rain, so nothing special - although I DID do a "bubble buddy" visit yesterday so better than just the 5K radius.

Hanging out for Dan to free us up a little so that I can get to know the car a bit!

'bubble buddy".  good stuff.     might see it on a Spyder drive then.....

2 minutes ago, Niko said:

'bubble buddy".  good stuff.     might see it on a Spyder drive then.....

Gotta think outside the box! LOL

Have been on some Spyder drives with my Senator, will be the Carrera from now on (most of the time anyway). 

5 minutes ago, Stockydude said:

Gotta think outside the box! LOL

Have been on some Spyder drives with my Senator, will be the Carrera from now on (most of the time anyway). 

ahhh yes the big banger senator....got you now....😎

38 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Welcome @Stockydude... love a good classic guards red!!  wow, those centre pipes look great, whats the story there?

Thanks Philbee - it's a 997 GT3 muffler - something they seem to do quite a bit in the US. I bought the car from Mike D'Silva and he had fitted it - engine isn't stock, high compression, trick cams, ITBs, built well and of course the GT3 muffler. Exhaust flows through the quiet ports on the muffler but the devil in my is wondering about a valve system to use the loud ports some of the time - nice to think about anyway.

5 minutes ago, tomo said:

Smick looking C3 Stockydude enjoy your new ride :)

Thanks Tomo, really looking forward to personalising from the current good base and enjoying it more and more.

• 1 month later...

I have been a member for a while now. Just thought I would share a photo of my first 911 (lets say hot rod) built from a bare shell back in the late 1990’s before Singer and Magnus were doing there thing.

1970 T base, 3.0 litre, 10.3:1 comp, twin plug, 915 gbox with cooler etc…..

Current project is a 1974 911 Carrera MFI - trying to keep it original.

Non Porsche distractions, 1965 Cadillac Sedan DeVille, 1991 900ss Ducati.

7EFEEA25-DC9B-43C7-AE32-2780F18E75ED.jpeg

G’day all. I’ve been a member for a while, but thought I’d wait until my car was on Australian shores to post. So here goes. After coming close to owning one but just missing the boat in 2012, it took me until 2019 to be lucky enough to get my hands on one. And then before you know it, I’ve got myself a second one. A genuine garage (barn) find. 

I’ll start with my first one. USA delivered 1987 Carrera, guards red, that I bought in California on a work trip. At the time I was flying to Los Angeles every few weeks for work, always staying in the same hotel, so I left it in the hands of the valet boys (maybe they had as much fun in it as me!??). It made my work trips all that much more fun for a year. Once covid hit I decided to bring it home, and it’s been on the road back here in Melb since early this year. In my ownership she’s gotten 7s and 8s, lowered and corner balanced by Marty the man in CA who does all setups for a notable resto-mod outfit we all know, M & K active exhaust, de-americanised it aesthetically, and sorted out reliability so it won’t leave me stranded...too often.

Next up, USA delivered 1981 911 SC, platinum gold metallic, (where there’s actually still paint on it!) Imported to Aus, and never put on the road. Motor was pulled and stripped, and had all sat piled in a garage in boxes collecting dust for the last 10 years. I made the owner an offer early this year, and next thing I knew it was mine. 
Having a bit more time than usual this is the platform I’m using to learn (and be taught) how to wrench on these cars. Suspension has now had a full refresh. 22/28mm torsion bars, poly bushes everywhere, turbo tie rods, new ball joints, and bilstein sports front and rear. She’s getting the de-americanising treatment same as the red 3.2, and the motor is almost done. It’s gotten/getting 964 Cams, CDI+ programmable ignition, SSIs, and an M & K muffler. Once that goes in, I’m going to drive it lookin’ ‘ugly’ for the foreseeable future, just tidying up little bits n pieces as I go. Definitely zero budget for paint any time in the next ten years at the rate I’ve been spending on it! Hopefully it’ll be registered and on the rd by Nov.

I look forward to getting out and about and meeting you all at events when we’re allowed. Even a masked up coffee and cars would be great for now. Inner Melb anybody??

And most importantly...pictures. Turns out I don’t have that many decent photos but here goes...

cheers!

6304D242-4BA0-4E27-BE55-0E1432092530.jpeg

93F65CE1-79F6-46D1-BEFE-9DF981377E69.jpeg

6A2C7CD4-1B09-4913-B1FF-2DB5A50F7EA0.jpeg

DBBFB499-3CE8-4E15-A359-9A728FD5A491.jpeg

F6970D08-40E3-442A-9751-42411B1C107A.jpeg

Great story Danos, love the 2 cars.  
Is the SC a weissach edition ?  It’s wearing an early Carrera tail and is platinum, which are two factors for a weissach edition.  If it also has sports seats with piping it is one for sure.  

Thanks Coastr.

Ah, if only it was a Weissach edition!! According to the spec sheet, it did not leave the factory with a tail, so somewhere over the years somebody added that. The colour is correct though. Also original seats are long gone, and I’m left with some hideous aftermarket things. That’s a problem I need to remedy!

Hey Zelrik,

The red car is a Cali car. Was delivered new in Hollywood hills, then made its way out to Palm Springs. Same story here, its rock solid with as close to zero rust as possible, and a bone dry motor. The SC is an Arizona car with close to zero rust. But also close to zero paint on any surface that faced directly upwards...Prob something to do with Arizona being hotter than the sun! I guess it all just adds to its character. That’s what I’ll keep telling myself anyway. 

On 24/07/2021 at 15:29, Stockydude said:

Thanks Philbee - it's a 997 GT3 muffler - something they seem to do quite a bit in the US. I bought the car from Mike D'Silva and he had fitted it - engine isn't stock, high compression, trick cams, ITBs, built well and of course the GT3 muffler. Exhaust flows through the quiet ports on the muffler but the devil in my is wondering about a valve system to use the loud ports some of the time - nice to think about anyway.

Thanks Tomo, really looking forward to personalising from the current good base and enjoying it more and more.

Ask me how that muffler made its way from the USA to Australia :D  It involves a big box and carrying it into a shipping location that doesn’t normally deal with gt3 mufflers.  Sounds great though 

Maybe I can convince you to put a normal bumper back on the front - I know it’s for the oil cooler I just would love to see the stock c3 look make a return.  Mike D was happy with it as is. 

On 31/08/2021 at 10:03, Coastr said:

Ask me how that muffler made its way from the USA to Australia :D  It involves a big box and carrying it into a shipping location that doesn’t normally deal with gt3 mufflers.  Sounds great though 

Maybe I can convince you to put a normal bumper back on the front - I know it’s for the oil cooler I just would love to see the stock c3 look make a return.  Mike D was happy with it as is. 

Sounds like a damn fine yarn, bringing in the muffler. I'm actually planning to go the other way with bodywork, replace the stock rear bumper with a narrow body version of the RSR style bumper, so that front and rear match - will also be able to shape it better to the muffler and central exhaust. Well, that's the plan anyway.