INTRODUCTION THREAD

Hi All, I joined some time back but haven't really posted. I bought my first Porsche in 2017, which I still have. It is a 2014 991.1 911 Carrera S. I think it is an amazing car. I've been lucky enough to drive other 991's at length, including 991.2 GTS and GTS4's in Germany (Avis rent them in Baden Baden relatively cost effectively) as well as GT3's and GT3 RS's on track (Exotic Racing in Las Vegas and Los Angeles). The pure GT cars on track are amazing (latest GT3RS is other-worldly for me) but I really think that you can get the true 911 experience even from the Carrera S. I love it and look forward to contributing more actively to the forums. Cheers, Marcus.

IMG_8484.JPG

IMG_8477.JPG

IMG_8485.JPG

IMG_8471.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, deviedope said:

Hi guys - thinking about buying a used Boxster in Sydney. Is there an appropriate thread at all?

Market Place is probably the best place to discuss your wants.   or under Technical and go to Mid Engine.    But Market Place probably better

Tell us what model you're after, what mods you want, price range etc and any questions on what your looking at.

Lots of Boxster/ex Boxster owners here.

Good luck

Oh and welcome to the forum 

Hello everyone!

I'm Oscar, 9-5 I work at Niche Technology in Poland, developing and selling tunes for different cars, and mods mostly for Porsche Macan.
I'm interested in how Porsche community sees SUV's from Stuttgart.

Our Macan is monday-friday workhorse, on weekends we take out BMW e46 for a drive!

Cheers!

20190106_132905.jpg

20190925_093741.jpg

macan blog img.jpg

Hey all, BRU from Sydney here.. finally got my hands on my first Porsche just in time for Christmas last year.. been too busy driving, washing, and lusting over it to jump on here and say hi though! 😂

The car is an ex-UK ‘95 993 911 C2 in Polar Silver and to say I’m in love is probably an understatement! Aside from the lack of cold AC, and seemingly common little bits and pieces that need attention (eg, odometer not working.. ) it’s in great, driveable and enjoyable condition! 

I’ve been driving it most days as a daily and am more than happy with it practically and emotionally!! I’ll reach out on other parts of the board for where I need specific help, but my main thing is I’m keen to meet other owners/drivers in the broader Sydney region.. 

So, how do I get in the loop? There doesn’t seem to be any current Sydney drives posted.. 

Oh also, here’s some happy snaps :)

F1182765-8A82-4F6D-9259-1BD4DC36CEDE.jpeg

FAFE15EA-3484-4595-AB8F-51DEA1EDFA41.jpeg

10 hours ago, BRU said:

So, how do I get in the loop? There doesn’t seem to be any current Sydney drives posted.

Congrats and welcome great looking 993. Keep an eye out there are drives posted often, probably being  Xmas/NY most are away. TurboT has listed a fire relief run on the 15/16 if your interested. Look forward to seeing you on the next Syd drive.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally took the plunge and bought my Sunday car. After a year searching for a good Type 3 VW I was on the point of giving up. Good copies were $25K plus and project cars seemed to need 1,000 hours work. A good friend came to a birthday bash for SWMBO in his green Boxster and that started me searching. (I guess VWs and Porsches were both originated by Ferdinand.)

The new wheels are an '04 povo pack, basic black, in really good and original condition with 66,000km and only 10 on the motor. Problems such as the interior rubberised paint and the front lip of the hood lining going bugger-up have been readily fixed, so now it is down to enjoying. 

I hope to catch up with a few others and will certainly keep an eye on these pages.

Porsche.jpg

Welcome aboard Wally, your Box looks in good shape.    986's starting to become a bit of a cult car, especially down here in Vic.

Is it a tipper or a manual?

If it has had an engine swap I'm hoping they did the IMS at the same time.   

Enjoy the Boxster and the forum.   Feel free to ask any questions you might have, the good thing about this forum is no one will bite your head off for asking.

1 hour ago, Niko said:

Welcome aboard Wally, your Box looks in good shape.    986's starting to become a bit of a cult car, especially down here in Vic.

Is it a tipper or a manual?

If it has had an engine swap I'm hoping they did the IMS at the same time.   

Enjoy the Boxster and the forum.   Feel free to ask any questions you might have, the good thing about this forum is no one will bite your head off for asking.

Thanks Niko. As a Fawlty Towers fan, I had to have Manuel rather than the tipper. And regarding the engine swap, the car was under extended warranty and appears to have had a new genuine article installed by a Porsche dealer.

There is no evidence of any out of shape/car park mafia damage or similar. The only anomaly is the spoiler lip is off something else, maybe a Cayman or a 987. It doesn't quite fit properly, has three mounting holes rather than four and is metallic black rather than solid. It takes a bit to pick, but when I find the proper bit, I will replace it.  

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Hope everyone is doing well.  My name is Gil, I'm in the US Air Force and currently stationed in the UK, but my next assignment will take me to RAAF Williamtown near Newcastle, Australia.  Should be moving there later this summer, assuming corona virus is under control and Australia reopens the borders.  

Owning a Porsche has been a dream since I was kid, and I'm very close to buying my first (a Carrera T) here in the UK and shipping to Australia.  Currently I'm driving a Mazda MX-5 RF which I think is the most fun you can have short of owning a Porsche.  

I joined the forum early so I could do research on all the costs associated with importing a UK spec Porsche.  Fortunately, I am exempt from import duties, with the caveat that I must export the car with me when I leave Australia (not allowed to sell it).  But I assume I still need a RWC, and I'm waiting to hear back from the NSW Road and Maritime service to see if I can keep it under UK registration for the three to three and a half year that I will be stationed in Australia.  

Looking forward to meeting some of you later in the year if buying in the UK and importing to Australia is feasible!  

-Gil

3 hours ago, Gil said:

Hello,

Hope everyone is doing well.  My name is Gil, I'm in the US Air Force and currently stationed in the UK, but my next assignment will take me to RAAF Williamtown near Newcastle, Australia.  Should be moving there later this summer, assuming corona virus is under control and Australia reopens the borders.  

Owning a Porsche has been a dream since I was kid, and I'm very close to buying my first (a Carrera T) here in the UK and shipping to Australia.  Currently I'm driving a Mazda MX-5 RF which I think is the most fun you can have short of owning a Porsche.  

I joined the forum early so I could do research on all the costs associated with importing a UK spec Porsche.  Fortunately, I am exempt from import duties, with the caveat that I must export the car with me when I leave Australia (not allowed to sell it).  But I assume I still need a RWC, and I'm waiting to hear back from the NSW Road and Maritime service to see if I can keep it under UK registration for the three to three and a half year that I will be stationed in Australia.  

Looking forward to meeting some of you later in the year if buying in the UK and importing to Australia is feasible!  

-Gil

Gil,

There is quite an active and welcoming Porsche community around Newcastle who often meet at the monthly Cn'C at Wickham.  Suggest you drop in for a chat when you can.  

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Folks, Phil here from WA, after 20+yrs of owning and maintaining a few G bodied 911s I decided to go "modern", almost went to a 993 but a Cayman made more sense in the end. So after a bit of research and a good think about what suited me best I bought this 2013 981 Cayman S manual, and after a few drives I'd have to say that it's exactly what I'd hoped it would be. There's enough power, feel and noise (with exhaust on) to keep me engaged and happy for quite some time. I will return to the classics later when I have more time to tinker (mind you this could be a keeper), but in the meantime I'll be running in the mid engined circles.
Cheers, 
Phil

IMG_0260.thumb.JPG.6e4b9fe92f7225e8518166a51bc1be4e.JPG

1 hour ago, Bugs77 said:

Phil here from WA, after 20+yrs of owning and maintaining a few G bodied 911s I decided to go "modern", almost went to a 993 but a Cayman made more sense in the end. So after a bit of research and a good think about what suited me best I bought this 2013 981 Cayman S manual, and after a few drives I'd have to say that it's exactly what I'd hoped it would be.

Congrats on the new car Bugs. Interesting to see someone moving from a G series to a Cayman - natural progression, I would have expected the 993, so I good to see some Cayman love.

On 16/04/2020 at 10:40, luzzo said:

Congrats on the new car Bugs. Interesting to see someone moving from a G series to a Cayman - natural progression, I would have expected the 993, so I good to see some Cayman love.

Spent a bit of time on the Impact Bumpers forum from the UK, a few of those IB owners have Caymans now too, seems the G bodied types get what the Cayman has to offer if you want to go more modern. Like me they go for manuals most often, and at this stage 987s and start modding with all the aftermarket stuff that's becoming available. Can't see myself needing to mod the 981 just yet, it goes like stink and is perfect in the real world for me.
I still love my air cooled 911s, would have loved a nice 964 or 993 C2 manual to move ahead for the "Gs" but value for money and what you get performance wise for that, I hate to say it but Cayman is way ahead.

On 17/04/2020 at 03:30, firstone said:

Mid engine will getcha hooked. 👍

Yep, it just works, it's how the 911 needed to change, simple way to dial out the quirks.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I’ve been a Porsche fanatic for many many years  and I’m a huge fan of the brand. 
I’m currently on my 3rd Porsche (Macan S) and have owned 2 Boxster’s in the past (both 986 - ‘98 and ‘01)

I look forward to participating and joining any Drive days in or around South East Qld. 

Cheers, Jeff 

6850A928-567E-483F-9C3E-C9EC781666C6.jpeg

FACA3062-B92C-4ECD-A73A-296302D19024.jpeg

43C6258A-DD06-4BE2-88B3-DC235EDC2CA1.jpeg

11 minutes ago, JeffM said:

Hi all,

I’ve been a Porsche fanatic for many many years  and I’m a huge fan of the brand. 
I’m currently on my 3rd Porsche (Macan S) and have owned 2 Boxster’s in the past (both 986 - ‘98 and ‘01)

I look forward to participating and joining any Drive days in or around South East Qld. 

Cheers, Jeff 

6850A928-567E-483F-9C3E-C9EC781666C6.jpeg

FACA3062-B92C-4ECD-A73A-296302D19024.jpeg

43C6258A-DD06-4BE2-88B3-DC235EDC2CA1.jpeg

Welcome Jeff!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I've been lurking for a while and last weekend I finally found my car.  My first porsche of my own (I used to navigate in tarmac rallies in a 1972 911 S (RS replica) in the late 2000's) and I've got myself a 2006 Cayman S.  Haven't got the car yet as it is in QLD and I'm stuck in VIC.  Hopefully it will make it down here Monday so I can get roadworthy and rego sorted early next week.  As soon as it arrives and I get sorted I'll snap some pics and update this post.  Hopefully I'll get to meet a few of you at some point when I'm in Melbourne.  If you are ever at Winton raceway hit me up and I'll swing by.

Regards

Gnrnr (Gun Runner)

Welcome aboard Jeff and Gnrnr.   Good to see a Macan on the forum, Jeff.   Great trucks.

Keep your eyes on the Sunday SMT runs Gnrnr, obviously, thanks to the Corona Virus, things will be quiet for a while, but we will get you and your croc on a run if you're interested.

Look forward to seeing the photos and hope the interstate extradition of the Cayman goes well