INTRODUCTION THREAD

Hi all

A quick hello! Been looking at getting into a Porsche for some time, and finally glad to have recently purchased one! I've come from owning a long line of FWD hatches/coupes then a recent BMW 1M to now owning a mid engine Porsche, I couldn't be happier. Was looking for a 981 (GT4/Spyder/GTS) for some time, and tossing up the merits of each one. I could not decide on a particular car but this spec really caught me, and I'm glad I jumped on it. Bought it last month and already been up the old pac a few times and the Oxley highway once, it's been epic. Can't wait for some SMT/drives with some of you, searching for any excuse to drive this thing, loving the car so far.

cheers Marcus 

DSCF7285 (2).jpg

Time to introduce myself

Rosco is the name farming is the game.Recently joined the forum and on the hunt for a 997.Been into long distance motorcycle riding for many years but with the wife having a few health issues time for the bikes to go and be replaced with something starting with a P and not Proton.When i find a suitable ride i will post pics.Enjoying the wealth of knowledge and the quality banter on your site

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Folks, 

I'm new here. I've had my 914 since 2001. It's been locked up in the UK for the last 11 years, but I just shipped it over here (Melbourne) recently for a full resto that has just begun. I'll post some more info in a separate build thread somewhere once I get to know my way around the forum. Any suggestions as to where best to do that?

It's nice to be here, thanks. 

L. 

_RAY9577.jpg

On 12/17/2017 at 5:41 PM, Rosco said:

Time to introduce myself

Rosco is the name farming is the game.Recently joined the forum and on the hunt for a 997.Been into long distance motorcycle riding for many years but with the wife having a few health issues time for the bikes to go and be replaced with something starting with a P and not Proton.When i find a suitable ride i will post pics.Enjoying the wealth of knowledge and the quality banter on your site

Hey Rosco are you on the ADV RIDER website?

Yes 3legs that will be me but mainly on the FarRiders and DRA sites with a few tractor sites thrown in.Will become a bit more involved after the purchase  of a car starting with a P......

not Proton

16 hours ago, Rosco said:

Yes 3legs that will be me but mainly on the FarRiders and DRA sites with a few tractor sites thrown in.Will become a bit more involved after the purchase  of a car starting with a P......

not Proton

I thought it might have been you. I have a nice 930 for sale:)

On 1/12/2018 at 5:18 PM, Fuel Luke said:

Hi Folks, 

I'm new here. I've had my 914 since 2001. It's been locked up in the UK for the last 11 years, but I just shipped it over here (Melbourne) recently for a full resto that has just begun. I'll post some more info in a separate build thread somewhere once I get to know my way around the forum. Any suggestions as to where best to do that?

It's nice to be here, thanks. 

L. 

_RAY9577.jpg

Welcome Luke. Good to have another 914 tragic here.

Post your build thread in the mid engine section.

On 14/12/2017 at 10:09 PM, nbauto said:

Hi guys thought I'd do a proper introduction

Porsche nut and also love my Ferraris, also photographer @nb_autography

Got my first Porsche about 6 months ago for 5k

A barely running 986, After 3 months just in time for getting my license and 6k later it ran perfectly and hasn't faulted me since

Live around Bayside area so you can guarantee to see me at every RSR meet, Ill be the only 986 and the only one on Red P plates thats for sure.

Trying to do a little car photography on the side mainly of Ferraris so far but keen to add more Porsches and variety. Check out the website here www.bitly.com/nbautography 

Counting down the years until I can get off P plates and into a 911.

Here are some pics of my car.

Boxster-0177

Boxster-0193

Thank, Nick

what an awesome first car - if that car doesnt get you laid, you aint getting laid !

my first car was a 3 on the tree Lime green LH Torana - I painted stripes on it to make it look like a fake SL/R - shame it had a wheezy 202 motor....join the dots

HA HA.....You young "whipper Snippers" have no idea what a first car should be....Coxsters, and Trana's....:Speechless:

Here was my first car  the "LAAARVE WAGON" The old Standard Mudguard passed in all the above mentioned categories, even with the 4 cylinder (Massey Ferguson) tractor motor :CoolDance:

Also lost my licence twice in the old monster.:ph34r:

I do like that Coxster though...

THE MUDGUARD

8 minutes ago, Airhead said:

Nothing Standard about that. Its got wing mirrors and a hanging brake line. Oh. And spotters.

and bench seats and a stick on the steering column that had an overdrive switch on it.

Gidday Guys,

Newish member.

Bought this manual 2001 Carrera C2 last year with 52000 kms on the clock. Factory fitted XAA Aerokit, 18" Sportdesign wheels, M030 sports suspension, option tail pipes and 3 spoke tiller.

My first porka and a real joy to drive.

Cheers,

Dave.

Porsche2.jpg

cp5723521961698024300.jpg

1 hour ago, Niko said:

HA HA.....You young "whipper Snippers" have no idea what a first car should be....Coxsters, and Trana's....:Speechless:

Here was my first car  the "LAAARVE WAGON" The old Standard Mudguard passed in all the above mentioned categories, even with the 4 cylinder (Massey Ferguson) tractor motor :CoolDance:

Also lost my licence twice in the old monster.:ph34r:

I do like that Coxster though...

THE MUDGUARD

The Shaggin Wagon!  .....But did it get you laid NIko?  I'll bet that beast saw a few drive ins....If the wagons's rockin' don't coma knockin!

3 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

The Shaggin Wagon!  .....But did it get you laid NIko?  I'll bet that beast saw a few drive ins....If the wagons's rockin' don't coma knockin!

Never kiss and tell, :P but I did have a lot of fun in the car, and it was a regular at the Drive Ins, and back in those wild days it also magically, used to get me and my mates home safely from some big night outs.:ph34r:

15 minutes ago, disco said:

Gidday Guys,

Newish member.

Bought this manual 2001 Carrera C2 last year with 52000 kms on the clock. Factory fitted Aerokit, sportline wheels, sports suspension, option tail pipes and 3 spoke tiller.

My first porka and a real joy to drive.

Cheers,

Dave.

Welcome Dave, your Porka  looks sensational.

16 minutes ago, Niko said:

Never kiss and tell, :P but I did have a lot of fun in the car, and it was a regular at the Drive Ins, and back in those wild days it also magically, used to get me and my mates home safely from some big night outs.:ph34r:

Weighing 2 tons and top speed of 60mph would see you safely tucked in!

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, deano said:

after months of waiting, I received an email last week advising my 718 has arrived, so I had to tell someone.

Next week, I can post in the 'where did you drive" post!:P

Hurray! Mate that is great news!!

Hopefully I will be joining you with some 718 posts in about 2 months :)

apologies for not posting, it's been a busy weekend.

I'm not one for posting images much online, so just picture a new white 718, and a james bond looking guy:P.

The car is amazing.

So some observations, but a confession first.

Well, ok, I stalled it 3 times trying to get out of dealership driveway, how good does that look?. I was told that the electronic handbrake releases when you take off. Maybe in the auto it might, but no way does it in the 718 with a manual box. Were in the driveway, ready to go. So give it some welly, try to take off, feeling the new clutch bite position, and nada. stall. restart, repeat,nada, pretty embarrassing driving like a lost Chinese tourist. Release handbrake button (which needs foot on the brake to do so), then whoah, success.

Next, the dash has a small gear indicator display, just above the digital spped. Nothing new there I hear you say.Well there might be actually. You know on an auto, you select the gear/drive/reverse,Sport1, whatever, on the 718 manual you don't get any indicator until you have actually taken off, and are moving. I figure it doesn't work out your selection from gear level position, but by wheel rotation vs speed then it knows the gear that's being used?

So it means, especially to the uninitiated that's stalling a car infront of X many people, when you've got it in 1st correctly, but it doesn't display the selected gear, but does give you (for example, 3 (for kms/hr), you think it's actually indicating your in third gear, and 2 seconds later, you get an actual gear display. I've got it sorted now, and it makes sense, but  when everythings new, and a lot to take in....

Exhaust sound is magic, no way would I spend even $50 to change it. There's enough noise as it is, add the sport button and the burble on back off is , well, really nice.

I'm finishing off a new garage, and fitting heat insulation, so no big drives were done unfortuntely. I had strict instructions to do the school run this morning with the roof down though, including a particular soundtrack (Vanilla Ice.).

Car has now been tinted, around 200kms done, and already stained with 'new car' oil smudges, tar etc. That's next weekends job.

One final episode, this was after about 15kms of driving, just settling in, and nerves have rested a little. Banked up in traffic, waiting to turn onto a busy freeway.

Car is all good. Sitting there, minding my own business, then all of a sudden, there's a loud beeping, like a reverse sensor beeping. I'm wondering what I had done wrong, the car seemed

happy, and I wasn't doing anything. Then I checked the rearview, and the smartarse pr*ck in the brick truck behind me was creeping so close that he was what seemed only 6 inches off the rear bumper, and tripped off the warning sensor. I'd have give him a finger and one for his dog if he wasn't 3 storeys up and could actually see my polite gesture.

Not much love lost between trucks and P cars I'm guessing.

On 2/5/2018 at 1:42 PM, deano said:

Well, ok, I stalled it 3 times trying to get out of dealership driveway, how good does that look?. I was told that the electronic handbrake releases when you take off. Maybe in the auto it might, but no way does it in the 718 with a manual box. Were in the driveway, ready to go. So give it some welly, try to take off, feeling the new clutch bite position, and nada. stall. restart, repeat,nada, pretty embarrassing driving like a lost Chinese tourist. Release handbrake button (which needs foot on the brake to do so), then whoah, success.

Great post @deano, the fun of a new car.

Re the handbrake, it also requires the drivers seatbelt to be on, so in case you were taking off without that it won't let you. I've got a 981 Cayman manual and it works ok but I find there's a minor delay with it turning off automatically and it jolts, so I usually just turn it off manually before I take off.