INTRODUCTION THREAD

Congratulations @mikl525. Should come down and show her off on Saturday. 

Would have loved to come down for that but unfortunately Im away this weekend - at least i'm in the same location as the SC and got the club reg sorted today which was a good result! I'll keep my eye out for the next event though, keen to get out and about.

Hi All,

New to this forum and new to Porsche.  

My wife and i just bought our first porsche and looking forward to doing some cruisin.

i have spent most of the my life around aussie and americal muscle so this is huge step into a Porsche.

Looks like i have a lot of catching up to do and shit load of questions, very different car lol

Vince

Porsche.jpg

Hi All,

New to this forum and new to Porsche.  

My wife and i just bought our first porsche and looking forward to doing some cruisin.

i have spent most of the my life around aussie and americal muscle so this is huge step into a Porsche.

Looks like i have a lot of catching up to do and shit load of questions, very different car lol

…….. and some metric tools ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone! Long time reader first time poster and an even longer time Porsche lover, the wife has finally given me the go ahead to start looking. If anyone knows of anything coming up feel free to send me a message otherwise I'll keep checking Carsales alerts. I'm looking for a Manual Australian delivered 997 s or a 964 coupe, these seem to fit just in my $100k budget.

I'm very green to Porsche ownership never having owned one, I'll keep trolling the threads on here for information but if anyone feels like giving me a few pointer it would be greatly appreciated.

Cars going to be daily driven 5000km - 10000km a year, would of loved an older car but need aircon with having to wear a suit everyday. Anything I should look out for or is there a year I should avoid for the 997s like the first of the series?      

Basicslly what I'm looking for below.                        

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-2006/OAG-AD-15082253

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1990/SSE-AD-3601997

Edited by Tom

Hi all,

New forum member and new Porsche owner. Have been reading the forum for a while now and love it - well done to all involved and all who contribute. I have recently purchased my first Porsche - blue 1980 SC Coupe. No mods, (other than a rather large exhaust tip) so pretty much as it was back in the day. Aussie delivered, matching numbers. 287,000KM and still going strong. Absolutely love it! Few little things need fixing and it won't win any concourse events anytime soon but its been driven as it should be and goes great so I'm rapt. Would love to come along on a SMT or catch up at the next DakDak session as I'm not too far from there. Will try and post a photo once I can reduce the size of one of the million photos I've taken of it!

Cheers,

Duggo 

Hey everyone! Long time reader first time poster and an even longer time Porsche lover, the wife has finally given me the go ahead to start looking. If anyone knows of anything coming up feel free to send me a message otherwise I'll keep checking Carsales alerts. I'm looking for a Manual Australian delivered 997 s or a 964 coupe, these seem to fit just in my $100k budget.

I'm very green to Porsche ownership never having owned one, I'll keep trolling the threads on here for information but if anyone feels like giving me a few pointer it would be greatly appreciated.

Cars going to be daily driven 5000km - 10000km a year, would of loved an older car but need aircon with having to wear a suit everyday. Anything I should look out for or is there a year I should avoid for the 997s like the first of the series?      

Basicslly what I'm looking for below.                        

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-2006/OAG-AD-15082253

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1990/SSE-AD-3601997

That 964 looks a pretty reasonable deal on the surface. I went through a similar process of weighing up a 997 vs 964. In the end, the fact that the car wasn't going to be my daily driver played a big part in the decision and I went with the car I lusted after when i was a teen - the 964. If you can, it's worth driving both. The 997 would likely be an easier car to live with day in day out. I'd also consider the type of traffic you'll be in if it's your daily driver. Stop start traffic can be hard work and isn't the best treatment for an old air cooled model. Others may offer a slightly different view. 

I went with the 964 because, while it does have some tech built into it, it's got the original 911 silhouette and, when i get into it, it's somewhat of a time machine. Just raucous and raw. Pure fun.

Hi all,

New forum member and new Porsche owner. Have been reading the forum for a while now and love it - well done to all involved and all who contribute. I have recently purchased my first Porsche - blue 1980 SC Coupe. No mods, (other than a rather large exhaust tip) so pretty much as it was back in the day. Aussie delivered, matching numbers. 287,000KM and still going strong. Absolutely love it! Few little things need fixing and it won't win any concourse events anytime soon but its been driven as it should be and goes great so I'm rapt. Would love to come along on a SMT or catch up at the next DakDak session as I'm not too far from there. Will try and post a photo once I can reduce the size of one of the million photos I've taken of it!

Cheers,

Duggo 

Ah yes, the one million photos in the first few months syndrome! I'm still in the thick of it.

Get along to the SMT on the 17th. I've only had my car long enough to do one of them but it was a hoot and great to meet a bunch of people with a shared interest. Try uploading photos to Flickr then copy and paste a link. 

Hi all,

Cheers,

Duggo 

I personally know the owner of the red C2, lives just up the street from me.

If you or anyone is wondering why it has not sold yet, I discovered the reason on the weekend when I bumped into the owner. Story goes his mate is taking the calls and for some reason is not passing on the details to Shane the owner. Well that's what I was told. I actually drove it on the weekend too, for the life of me I can't understand why it's still for sale. Goes and sounds a treat, could do with some paint correction and a good clean but I thought it was great. If anyone wants the owners (Shane) direct number fire me a PM and I will pass it on. Before anyone asks, yes I did consider buying it myself however I have been there done that, and everyone knows what I am hunting now.

I personally know the owner of the red C2, lives just up the street from me.

If you or anyone is wondering why it has not sold yet, I discovered the reason on the weekend when I bumped into the owner. Story goes his mate is taking the calls and for some reason is not passing on the details to Shane the owner. Well that's what I was told. I actually drove it on the weekend too, for the life of me I can't understand why it's still for sale. Goes and sounds a treat, could do with some paint correction and a good clean but I thought it was great. If anyone wants the owners (Shane) direct number fire me a PM and I will pass it on. Before anyone asks, yes I did consider buying it myself however I have been there done that and everyone knows what I am hunting now.

@Tom it's safe to say Fraz's opinion is worth listening to. He's plenty fastidious and knows a thing or two about 964's having owned a beautiful example himself;) 

Not a bad first vetting of a potential car for you...

Hi all, another new member here.

I found this forum a few days ago and was pleasantly surprised by the stralian banter and discussions, I even liked the spin on your terms and conditions.

I have never expected to own a P as they are being called, but after a fair bit of work for a few years, it somehow looks like I may end up being able to do so.

My current car is a 428 BMW coupe which is coming to end of lease. It has been an easy car to live with, but I miss having a manual, convertible  and something with a nice sound.

So it looks like my first P will be a 718 Boxster manual, all just basic apart from 20" rims, probably in white. Now just have to get past the sales process, then the wait.

I thought  BMW order times were long enough....

I'm keen to learn some from those who have the despised 4 cyl family member what they think, how the car sounds and also how practical the car is as a daily driver.

cheers

Deano

That 964 looks a pretty reasonable deal on the surface. I went through a similar process of weighing up a 997 vs 964. In the end, the fact that the car wasn't going to be my daily driver played a big part in the decision and I went with the car I lusted after when i was a teen - the 964. If you can, it's worth driving both. The 997 would likely be an easier car to live with day in day out. I'd also consider the type of traffic you'll be in if it's your daily driver. Stop start traffic can be hard work and isn't the best treatment for an old air cooled model. Others may offer a slightly different view. 

I went with the 964 because, while it does have some tech built into it, it's got the original 911 silhouette and, when i get into it, it's somewhat of a time machine. Just raucous and raw. Pure fun.

Ah yes, the one million photos in the first few months syndrome! I'm still in the thick of it.

Get along to the SMT on the 17th. I've only had my car long enough to do one of them but it was a hoot and great to meet a bunch of people with a shared interest. Try uploading photos to Flickr then copy and paste a link. 

Ok I'm trying the Flickr approach you suggested. Here she is - mind you this photo isn't recent but was sent to me by the previous owner. But she hasn't changed much since then other than a new number plate and a few more miles under the belt. 

P4090313

Ok I'm trying the Flickr approach you suggested. Here she is - mind you this photo isn't recent but was sent to me by the previous owner. But she hasn't changed much since then other than a new number plate and a few more miles under the belt. 

She's a nice one Duggo. Enjoy her and hopefully see you at an upcoming SMT or DakDak one day.

P4090313

Noice!

@Andy73 @Fraz Thanks for the comments guys, i just have never liked Red cars i know i can't be too fussy with my budget.

tom

the charcoal 964 in Canberra, a mate has put a leg over it and while it needs a bit of a tidy up can with negotiation, I suspect  had for far less than the asking 

I found this forum a few days ago and was pleasantly surprised by the stralian banter and discussions, I even liked the spin on your terms and conditions.

I have never expected to own a P as they are being called, but after a fair bit of work for a few years, it somehow looks like I may end up being able to do so.

My current car is a 428 BMW coupe which is coming to end of lease. It has been an easy car to live with, but I miss having a manual, convertible  and something with a nice sound.

So it looks like my first P will be a 718 Boxster manual, all just basic apart from 20" rims, probably in white. Now just have to get past the sales process, then the wait.

I'm keen to learn some from those who have the despised 4 cyl family member what they think, how the car sounds and also how practical the car is as a daily driver.

cheers

Deano

Deano

Take a 981 for a spin before you commit to the 4 cyl 718.  There is nothing better than the sound of the 6 cyl.  Also consider a hardtop Cayman as well.  For similar money to the new 718 you could have this one below, which is being sold by a PFA member.  You could not ask for a better one.  He may also be flexible on the price

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-Cayman-2016/OAG-AD-14777606/?Cr=0

Deano

Take a 981 for a spin before you commit to the 4 cyl 718.  There is nothing better than the sound of the 6 cyl.  Also consider a hardtop Cayman as well.  For similar money to the new 718 you could have this one below, which is being sold by a PFA member.  You could not ask for a better one.  He may also be flexible on the price

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-Cayman-2016/OAG-AD-14777606/?Cr=0

Did you put the right link in as this the car linked is for sale by the Tas Porsche dealer?

cheers

Deano

Welcome and good luck with your purchase, I am sure you will love it!

cheers

Deano

deano,

I've driven the 718 cayman & all previous boxster/caymans (not Gt4), great cars, all of them. The 718 was exceptional but did not have the "noise" of the 6 cyl cars, but it is outstanding in its own right, I would have one in a flash, chassis & handling are on another level.

thanks guys for the above suggestions, I've taken them on board, but maybe a bit more about my scenario and what i'm thinking would help put it into context.

It's going to be a company car, so it's hard for me to 'sell' to the boss (non car person), going from a perfectly nice 2014 BMW with 27k on the clock to something that's not newer or having similar sort of kms but is more expensive, I can see it  wont particularly make sense.

Touch wood, the BMW has been faultless, and I'm hoping the Porsche will be similar., so going new will help this.

I miss having the roof down when you can, especially at night, so it has to be a convertible again.

Pricewise, I can just about justify the 718, and is my limit this time around. I'm sure the 6 is great (my kids could hear me coming home in the BMW 128 3L six  I had before the current one ;)) Does the 2L still not sound gratifying ?:( 

So since the first posts, I've had 2 quotes come back. The problem may be due to build dates, and change over pricing. Due to the lead time, I have been able to get a build slot changed to fit in with the needed delivery date, but I got the talk about wholesalers not holding prices on the trade in for this long. So making a purchase decision that includes a changeover that is not guaranteed will need some thinking.

It looks like no one has a manual either to test drive, so it will need to be an auto. That will be the next step, but I don't want to go much further unless a semi realistic price on the trade in is offered.

Apologies for the full backstory, esp in an intro thread, but it really is a whole different family of obsessives over here and I appreciate your experiences.

Deano

Thanks Phil, I checked that again, yes that is a seriously nice car, but up there too $$wise for me. It probably wouldn't take much to remove that roof.......;)

Once more thing, I'm thinking that any 'demo' car would have had a hard first 7000/10000 or whatever kms?

I'm not that excited about looking at any stock vehicles that have demo kms on, or is this being paranoid?

Hi All

Have been watching the forum for some time and have now joined.

I have owned porches since 1990 and have a 89 911 Carrera and a 64 356SC.

Both the cars are UK delivered which I bought while living in Germany for 14 years returning to Australia 2003.

Looking forward to attending some of your runs.

Cheers

Brendan

PB011191 (2)PB270405 (2)

Edited by 356rod

Hi All

Have been watching the forum for some time and have now joined.

I have owned porches since 1990 and have a 89 911 Carrera and a 64 356SC.

Both the cars are UK delivered which I bought while living in Germany for 14 years returning to Australia 2003.

Looking forward to attending some of your runs.

Cheers

Brendan

Couple of stunners there Brendan. That 89 Carrera is just begging to get in the mix on the next SMT.

tom

the charcoal 964 in Canberra, a mate has put a leg over it and while it needs a bit of a tidy up can with negotiation, I suspect  had for far less than the asking 

Hey Michel, rang the seller last week as I am interested in it myself. When you say 'needs a tidy up' could you please give a bit more detail.

Cheers, Tom