INTRODUCTION THREAD

Welcome, to the forum. Who cares about originality, the wheels look great.   Forget the coloured centres, I'd just repaint these a darker shade to match the wheels.

Thanks ! Lately i have been thinking about purchasing the sport classic wheels. I checked the price with Porsche Australia, but suncoast is still a lot cheaper. Decisions , decisions...

M

Edited by michaelb

Thanks for the input guys... In Melbourne this weekend from Adelaide so it's an opportunistic inspection. The Sydney dealer one looks worth an enquiry if the Melbourne ones don't stack up. Two non s and one s on the agenda. How much wriggle room do these Porsche dealerships have? Unchartered waters for me. 

How much wriggle room do Porsche dealers have? PCB offered a 981 Cayman GTS for $168k drive away that was purchased from a private seller in Melbourne for $144k - PCB sold the car in around a week so I guess they sold close to the asking price.

How much wriggle room do Porsche dealers have? PCB offered a 981 Cayman GTS for $168k drive away that was purchased from a private seller in Melbourne for $144k - PCB sold the car in around a week so I guess they sold close to the asking price.

They look to make $20 to $40K depending on car value from my experience buying from dealers. But, there is more wriggle room on cars that have been on the floor for quite a while. I got $30K off one & $45K off another, timing & cash & no trade.

Thanks guys... early days in my inspections. Enjoyed the drive of the manual non S 991 but did notice a difference with the S and need to decide whether the price premium is worth it. Timing and own finance ready to go is my best bet I imagine. Plus sometimes the sensible side of me gets into my head and suggests that the 997 is the sweet spot for price or a newer boxster/cayman gives as much daily enjoyment! Of course the peace of mind of warranty extension to 10 years really appeals to me too so hence leaning newer model.

Thanks guys... early days in my inspections. Enjoyed the drive of the manual non S 991 but did notice a difference with the S and need to decide whether the price premium is worth it. Timing and own finance ready to go is my best bet I imagine. Plus sometimes the sensible side of me gets into my head and suggests that the 997 is the sweet spot for price or a newer boxster/cayman gives as much daily enjoyment! Of course the peace of mind of warranty extension to 10 years really appeals to me too so hence leaning newer model.

Get the S

Nothing wrong with a 997.2 3.6ltr provided it's a manual great car & no IMS.

Hi all I'm Shane (Rudd - no not related to that ex PM and 51 this year) I also have a very understanding partner and 3 awesome kids (18 /15 and 7)

I thought it would be time to introduce myself.

My first 911 was a 1970T coupe silver 2.2 sporto which when I sold it about 4 years ago after a 10 year love affair it was a 3.0 litre (Weber Carbs) 5sp you may have seen it around with plates SIR70T - it now lives in Adelaide . I have come to the realisation we are but temporary careful custodians of these addictive machines. 

It was a brilliant little air-cooled beauty which I regretted selling from the day it left the family. (and yes sold at pre stupid air-cooled prices $45k with spares and original engine - I did however sell it for fair value though at the time).

I spent the next 4 years in a corner (zombie like) with the Ipad on every conceivable website searching for the next one. It became very clear that I need to adjust my sights (and love of air cooled) with the budget I had. The 996 wasn't initially on the radar , however the more I looked , the more I came to appreciate the 996 , its importance in the scheme and heritage of the 911 and the simple fact they are a 911 and provide all the smiles and emotion of an early car - trust me they do.

So this one is...

2001 (Build Dec 2000) 996 man 3.4 non sunroof completely stock C4 (hence the 01CFOR plates) - bought with 50100ks (now 52600) - Lapis Blue - really like the colour BTW

Options - C16, 236, 288, 413 , 424, 425, 436, 437, 438, 490, 513, 538, 567, 601, 659, 689, 695, 938, 981, 983...

IMS to do , however inspected by Carlos (at Cavaco who I have used for 10 years before hand with the 1970T) and all fine (its a dual row build) - not stressing but will get it done in 10,000 ks or so..

It was originally delivered to a gentleman in the UK , it only spend about 6 months of its life there and then was shipped to Melb / then Syd with that gentleman where it has essentially lived the entire time in the same family. So the provenance is all documented and when I review it has been 'over' cared for in some respects - but these cars deserve it.

My thoughts on tweaking and personalising...

- I have bought a Schnell Stainless muffler system to put on for a throatier sound - Obviously IMS soon - 2004 C2 exhaust tips (I think they look and fit a little nicer) - 997 SSK - I have bought a used steering wheel, shifter and hand brake to recover in a dark Alcantara same as the headline with an orange stitch to slightly personalise for me and also reversible - GTS console delete kit from Suncoast is on its was - need the leg room to be frank as I'm 186cms and I like the plain look - wheels spacers ? maybe 5 - 7 mm in the front and 10 mm in the rear ? (would love advice on this)... any how there are many more as we all know , but saving the coins to complete the engine work as a priority...

The use - well its a weekend fun machine with a couple (if im lucky) mid week runs to work purely for medicinal proposes ;)

Would love to hand out with like minded souls on runs (we should have a 996 run only - ha !!! sorry my air-cooled mind was in play then ..... seriously kidding... maybe ... ha

I live in the Inner West - work in the CBD

Looking forward to contributing to the community.

Cheers

Shane

HI all

New to the forum, this is my second 911 first one been a 78 model which I sold about  12 years ago  due to a new business venture and as you could imagine  It was a mistake selling it.

Come across this 3.2 Carrera in Melbourne early this year and was just blown away by its colour and so it had to come back with meB)"lucky my partner likes air cooled 911s"

its been 3 months since I got it and have allready clocked up about 4000km,been an absolute joy to drive.

Thinking to remove rear spoiler YES or NO?

cheers

Connor

IMG_2983_zpseg8rqwu4.jpg

HI all

New to the forum, this is my second 911 first one been a 78 model which I sold about  12 years ago  due to a new business venture and as you could imagine  It was a mistake selling it.

Come across this 3.2 Carrera in Melbourne early this year and was just blown away by its colour and so it had to come back with meB)"lucky my partner likes air cooled 911s"

its been 3 months since I got it and have allready clocked up about 4000km,been an absolute joy to drive.

cheers

Connor

thumbnail_IMG_3202.jpg

Looks like you and I are going through the same thing - the honeymoon period, when you're looking for any excuse to drive the car. I've always preferred my 911's without the whale tail. I kind of figure if the car was delivered with a feature, then leave it, if not, then it's entirely up to you. Colour looks like it may be the same as mine. Looks stunning regardless. Congrats! 

Love that green too, and does look like yours Andy.   What interior colour do you have Mal?
Personally....I don't mind the tail, and I agree with Andy, if it came with it, leave it on.
I think most on this forum will suggest removing it, unfortunately.
Enjoy the car, with the K's both you and Andy are knocking up, it appears you are definitely doing that.....

i agree that it should be left as it was from factory(spoiler was added two years later) i am also a believer that a narrow body should not have a spoiler (personal taste).

the Interior is all black with only the front seats been retrimed about four years ago.

I think most on this forum will suggest removing it, unfortunately.

Really? When I was searching for my first 911 earlier this year, it had to be an 80's IB model with tail!

I'd consider my next IB to be without a tail and perhaps a Targa,  just so it is a little different from my first.

Really? When I was searching for my first 911 earlier this year, it had to be an 80's IB model with tail!

I'd consider my next IB to be without a tail and perhaps a Targa,  just so it is a little different from my first.

I hope the tide is turning, this subject has been raised a couple of times before over the years on the forum and the Nays normally come out in front.

HI all

cheers

Connor

I would leave it on, but it is a matter of taste, if you do remove I would hang on to it though. 

Hi all, I just joined.

I've owned a stock mid-grey 996-series Targa (MY2002) for the past four years and absolutely loved it, gorgeous gorgeous car.

Anyway, business is good so I've decided to "upgrade". I'm just about to pull the trigger on a Cayman GTS, second-hand with less than 10,000km on the odometer.

Now, I realise that some of you will be shaking your heads here. Surely any Porsche other than a 911 is a downgrade, right? But this Cayman - I took it for a test drive - it is just ridiculous. So fast, so nimble, so wrap-around. Know what I mean? No disrespect, but as a drive, it craps all over my lovely old Targa from a great height.

To my mind it's a no-brainer that the 996 series 911, fried-egg headlamps and all, is the most undervalued Porsche of all, and therefore the car most likely to appreciate in value over the next few years. But how many years will that take? I don't think I can hang around, and someone else deserves to love this beautiful little car, and the Cayman GTS is sex on a stick. (Plus it's destined to become a desirable example of the last of the naturally-aspirated Porsche boxer 6's, right?)

Please help me make up my mind. Thanks.

PS - The above introduction was originally posted in a different thread, late last night. Just to flesh things out a bit: the Targa is my first Porsche. It's tugging at the heartstrings a bit because it's such a physically beautiful car. I'm going to take some photos today and will post them here. One oddity is that it has both "Carrera" and "Targa" badges, which you will see in the photos. I guess some previous owner did that. No idea why. But I have left the "Carrera" badge in place because it's so eccentric and really personalises the car in a funny way.

Other deets: it's a Tiptronic, which I have grown to love. Fantastic way of changing gears once you get to understand its idiosyncrasies. Also, I swapped out the original radio for a current Alpine system with DAB+ radio, graphic EQ and Bluetooth connectivity. This coupled straight in to the in-car Bose power amp and speakers for a fantastic sound. I'm told these stock Bose systems come with a subwoofer buried under the front centre console. It sure does pump. Not that I'm into the bass that much, I'm more of a jazz/classical guy, but the overall sound is fabulous and I haven't even got around to tweaking the EQ yet. Ah well, that particular delight might have to wait for a new owner - *sigh* -

Pics to follow shortly.

Hmmm...would love to attach pics, but I'm getting an error message advising that my file size limit is 501.76kb - despite the files I'm trying to upload being way smaller than that.

Any ideas? Could it be that there's a restriction on new members uploading files?

Nah it's a restriction of the forum software. Everybody hosts the images externally and links to them. I recommend Imgur.com, but a lot of people use photobucket. Once you've uploaded your images, you can embed them in your post using the "Insert other media" button at the bottom right of the editor. Good luck.

Hmmm...would love to attach pics, but I'm getting an error message advising that my file size limit is 501.76kb - despite the files I'm trying to upload being way smaller than that.

Any ideas? Could it be that there's a restriction on new members uploading files?

http://porscheforum.com.au/topic/718-adding-photos-to-your-post/ 

you are best to use a web photo hosting site. I would advise against Photobucket now though, it is horrendously slow and covered in ads... imagur I think is a good one, or one of the others.

Edited by ANF