INTRODUCTION THREAD

Hi folks,

First post and first Porsche.

Its always been a boyhood dream to own a Porsche and for me it always had to be Guards Red with a black interior.  I purchased this 1987 Carrera 3.2 Coupe nearly 12 months ago and it has been a dream come true.  Very original and unmolested with just over 200,000kms on the clock it has been a pleasure getting to know it around the hills of South Gippsland where I live. I've had some fun fixing up a few little issues and tidying up a few things clocking up around 3000kms in the past 4 months. It joins three other aircooled machines in the shed with a Formula Vee, '66 Kombi and '59 Beetle keeping it company.

The forums here have been a great source of information and local knowledge and I'm looking forward to meeting up with some other PFA ers in the future.

DSC_4757.jpg

DSC_4763.jpg

DSC_4765.jpg

Welcome Big Dav.  My cousin who lives in Geelong is a big VW fan and has many friends with Kombi's and other various semi or fully restored Vee Dub's.

But back to your Porsche.  Nice looking unit.  Hopefully you can join us for a meet and greet at the next DAK DAK Cafe catch up.  There are a lot of items there at the Cafe that will appeal to you as well as a good chance to meet a lot of the regular contributors to this forum based in Victoria.  The food is great too, as an added bonus.

Edited by Lucky Phil

Hi folks,

First post and first Porsche.

Its always been a boyhood dream to own a Porsche and for me it always had to be Guards Red with a black interior.  I purchased this 1987 Carrera 3.2 Coupe nearly 12 months ago and it has been a dream come true.  Very original and unmolested with just over 200,000kms on the clock it has been a pleasure getting to know it around the hills of South Gippsland where I live. I've had some fun fixing up a few little issues and tidying up a few things clocking up around 3000kms in the past 4 months. It joins three other aircooled machines in the shed with a Formula Vee, '66 Kombi and '59 Beetle keeping it company.

The forums here have been a great source of information and local knowledge and I'm looking forward to meeting up with some other PFA ers in the future.

Nice looking machine inside and out Dave.....congrats and welcome!

You don't see many cars with the original radio, lovin the 80's joystick for speaker control :P

Hopefully you can join us for a meet and greet at the next DAK DAK Cafe catch up.

Looking forward to it

So you didn't spend your youth dreaming of owning a Nissan or a Mitsubishi? 

Lots of dreams! I seemed to be a car nut from birth yet my two brothers and dad have little interest. I remember seeing a Toyota 2000GT for sale years ago and thought it was wonderful and I did trade my AE82 Corolla Twin Cam hatch in on a new Lancer GSR (turbo AWD) in 1993 which was my first new car and still one of my all time ownership favourites. 

You don't see many cars with the original radio, lovin the 80's joystick for speaker control :P

When I got the car it had no sound out of the left side speakers so that was one of my first fixes.  I removed the head unit and hoped it wasn't a problem with the amp which is tucked up deep into the passenger footwell behind the AC evaporator which would be tricky to get to.  I took the dash unit to Go Technologies in Scoresby (i think I got their details from a search on this site) and they replaced the volume switch with an OEM one and all was well again. Joystick control all good!  The tech did warn me that they had some parts still but the cassette player bits were now mostly gone so don't use the tape player much.

Looking forward to it

Lots of dreams! I seemed to be a car nut from birth yet my two brothers and dad have little interest. I remember seeing a Toyota 2000GT for sale years ago and thought it was wonderful and I did trade my AE82 Corolla Twin Cam hatch in on a new Lancer GSR (turbo AWD) in 1993 which was my first new car and still one of my all time ownership favourites. 

When I got the car it had no sound out of the left side speakers so that was one of my first fixes.  I removed the head unit and hoped it wasn't a problem with the amp which is tucked up deep into the passenger footwell behind the AC evaporator which would be tricky to get to.  I took the dash unit to Go Technologies in Scoresby (i think I got their details from a search on this site) and they replaced the volume switch with an OEM one and all was well again. Joystick control all good!  The tech did warn me that they had some parts still but the cassette player bits were now mostly gone so don't use the tape player much.

Wow the joys of playing tapes and rewinding them and occasionally having your favourite chewed up by the machine for no apparent reason.  Ah the good old days....

Welcome aboard Dav. That looks like one fine 3.2 you've got there and the rest of the collection sounds amazing too. Not sure if you know but DAK DAK is normally where some of the monthly VW meets are held if you didn't already know that.

There's actually a drive on next Sunday and the next weekend there's RSR coffee by the bay if you're looking to show off that beauty.

Looking forward to checking out your car in the near future.

Alrighty, I figured it was time to wave the flag and say g'day to the boards. I'm a lifetime fan, one time owner and soon to be two time owner. Owned my 76 Targa back in '99 when i was in my early twenties (yep that's me in the photo when i was younger and lighter!) But then as i began riding mountain bikes, having that thing as my daily driver just didn't make any kind of sense and I didn't have the dollars to have two cars. I wish I had kept it but I moved it on.

Fast forward 18 years and I'm now in a position which enables me to have a 911 as a second car which opens up so many possibilities. Very excited to show what comes next...

targa.jpg

Thought i should intro myself now that i'm in the club. Finally got myself the 996 i was after.

Black 996.2 with Aerokit, no psm, no sunroof, savannah beige interior (full leather), very 90s, 135k kms but was really the first 996 i drove and it just felt right.

IMG_20170412_135909_(Small).thumb.jpg.e4

Tempted to dye the dash black and make it two tone, but at the moment i dont mind it, maybe one day full leather in one color will come back into fashion :)

Totally not what i was looking for in the end, but fell in love with it.

Edited by quasio
finally figured out how to insert pics

Thought i should intro myself now that i'm in the club. Finally got myself the 996 i was after.

Black 996.2 with Aerokit, no psm, no sunroof, savannah beige interior (full leather), very 90s, 135k kms but was really the first 996 i drove and it just felt right.

Tempted to dye the dash black and make it two tone, but at the moment i dont mind it, maybe one day full leather in one color will come back into fashion :)

Totally not what i was looking for in the end, but fell in love with it.

Congrats! Is it metallic or non metallic? 

Assuming because it has no sunroof it was an import? Or a very rare special order!

Edited by dan_189

yep it's a UK import, i believe it's metallic. 

Some wierd "features" missing from the UK car, 

No cruise control (easy to install if i want, but i'm not going to bother), no speakers in doors, storage pockets instead, which i've never seen before.

Here i was saying i wanted silver, with black, <100k kms, without aerokit, i get pretty much the opposite.

Yep they are mostly features that came standard on AUS delivered cars. 

Fairly easy to install them if you can find the parts and are handy, including the mph -> kph analogue dial.

Some of the 996 GT3.2's have no door speakers either.

If you find a standard decklid then it will be a Carrera with side skirts as the "AeroKit" or "AeroKit Cup II" comprises of GT3 front bar, side skirts and GT3 look deck lid. What you've got there (from what I can see in the images) is the "Carrera rear spoiler" with "Carrera side skirts".

just the dial, gonna do surgery to switch it over.

Not for the feint-hearted but also not completely un-achievable either :D Watch out for the hidden housing clip holding the two housing halves together on the inside.

Well as I mentioned a week or so ago I'm back in a position where getting another Porsche is back on the cards - I've been on the hunt semi seriously since the beginning of the year and then more seriously over the past two months.

It took me a while to narrow down my options as I couldn't decide between a 997 (good buying) and a 964 (the shape that i first started obsessing over in my teen years). In the end, the 964 won out. But where to find one? Carsales is an obvious easy start and i certainly looked there, but i really wanted to be sure I was buying the right 964. Turns out the answer was right here on PFA. I had read Fraz's entire thread from early this year and been really impressed with his 964. When he relisted it a few weeks back I had to get in touch and the moment i saw it, it just spoke to me. Anyone who knows Fraz and knows this car knows how fastidious he is and what a beautiful 964 he had in his possession.

After Darren at Auto Coupe gave the car the once over, it was all systems go.

So far every drive just continues to blow me away. When the Mrs or the kids can't find me, they know I'm in the garage just staring at it. 27 years after I'd drag my girlfriend into Hamiltons to look at 964's and I've finally got one in the garage.  IMG_1396 2

IMG_1395

IMG_1392

IMG_1374

IMG_1367

Edited by Andy73

I guess the gf couldn't compete with your true love. 

Nice pick up.  See you on SMT then. 

Well the GF is now my wife actually! And she's loving the car so win win. 

Yup, I'll be joining in on SMT for sure.

Congratulations Andy, I'm envious.   Love that car.

well done, enjoy it...

Thanks Niko. Still can't believe i got it to be honest.

Congratulations @Andy73 on picking up a great car. I saw it parked in Healesville on Friday, was a nice day for it! 

Cheers Hugh. Friday was a ripping day - although getting stuck behind a truck in the spur was less than ideal! Otherwise amazing though. Can't believe how much grip the car has and how planted it feels.

Hi All,

Have been lurking on these forums for few months.

The forum pundits helped me avoid a potential bomb.

I subsequently found a 997.1 Turbo, MY08, had it checked out in Melb and it arrived yesterday into Brissy!!!

First drive has been to get it registered. Lovely. Had not driven a 997 with PASM before. Must say its a nice ride.

Looking forward to more drives.