INTRODUCTION THREAD

Interestingly, Mahogany Brown is listed as a Special colour in the latest 718 Cayman and Boxster brochure so an extra $5390 rather than the previous basic charge for metallic paint - strangely, it is not shown as a Special colour on the Configuarator (perhaps replaced by Crayon). Porsche strategy in designating certain colours as "Special" has long been a little "curious" - I recall when the 991.1 GT3 was released, the adverstising/promotional material featured a car finished in metallic Amaranth Red - that particular colour was available on other 981 and 991 models for the standard metallic paint option price but was designated as a Special colour on the more expensive GT3 model - go figure!

Congratulations on the Cayman GTS purchase - I don't recall it being advertised as such but I am reasonably sure this car is fitted with the sports chassis which is lowered by 20mm (code X73) rather than the PASM dampers so interested to hear in due course how you find the ride on Sydney roads.

I spoke to someone today who said this Cayman GTS may have been advertised for private sale in Sydney previously. In that case one would presume that the owner eventually sold to Dutton Garage, who then sold it to me.

Is your comment (above) based on prior knowledge of this particular vehicle? If so, can you tell me what else you know about it? PM would be ok.

I took my 996 Targa for a run through the Blue Mountains today with the Hamilton Autohaus crew. Pretty good day. I struggled a bit to keep up with some of the more aggressive drivers, but keep up I did. The car performed beautifully - I really will be sad to part with it.

There were many great Porsches on the run. Some nice old air-cooled 911 Turbos - one from 1984 - a vintage Speedster, some GT3s and GT4s, a genuine RS (apparently that one is owned by the Hamilton guy and is worth ridiculous coin), a 718 Spyder (hope i've got that designation right), even an orange Lamborghini Gallardo...ah, it just went on and on. About forty cars in all. I've probably forgotten some of the real gems - or perhaps didn't notice them, as I'm no expert on what's rare and gasp-worthy and what isn't. But yeah, it was a lot of fun.

I took lots of photos, but would hesitate to post them out of respect for the various owners' privacy. However, if the guy that owns the Speedster is reading this, do PM me because I took some really nice shots of your car.

Hi Coxsackie,

The Mahogany Cayman GTS was advertised privately by a guy in Queensland throughout most of 2016 - it was listed on Carsales and he started at around $175-177k when the car had done only around 5,500km - eventually price reduced to $170k before it appeared on the Dutton's site. The ad was rarely updated so the seller did not appear to be highly motivated - question if the colour had limited appeal in the Queensland climate? Not sure if the Carsales listing specifically mentioned the sports chassis (X73 code) but I recall the photos on Carsales did not show the PASM switch in the centre console. PASM was standard on the GTS model with sports chassis a no cost option. 

Hi Coxsackie,

The Mahogany Cayman GTS was advertised privately by a guy in Queensland throughout most of 2016 - it was listed on Carsales and he started at around $175-177k when the car had done only around 5,500km - eventually price reduced to $170k before it appeared on the Dutton's site. The ad was rarely updated so the seller did not appear to be highly motivated - question if the colour had limited appeal in the Queensland climate? Not sure if the Carsales listing specifically mentioned the sports chassis (X73 code) but I recall the photos on Carsales did not show the PASM switch in the centre console. PASM was standard on the GTS model with sports chassis a no cost option. 

Interesting. So the sports chassis lowers and firms up the ride, I guess? Making it faster and better handling, but rougher over bumpy roads and requiring more care over speed humps?

I'll call Dutton and see whether they can confirm the chassis type. Thanks for the info.

Hi Guys

Just introducing myself. I'm in Melbourne. Ive had Boris about three and a half years now. Had air-flow meter problems at first (had a hunting idle every now and again) Took ages to narrow it down to this issue. But managed to find enough info on you tube to have a go at repairing it (Advice: try this before parting with 2gs for a new air-flow meter). That was 3 years ago. Never a problem since. A new set of Bilsteins on the back, and I realised I could fix these babies myself. Next, a leaky oil pipe at the radiator. Again onto youtube, and the info was all there.

I honestly think I have as much fun tinkering with it as driving it. And the ride is pure joy. Anyway, great to join your forum. Looking forward to learning a whole lot more here.

Dave

Hi Guys

Just introducing myself. I'm in Melbourne. Ive had Boris about three and a half years now. Had air-flow meter problems at first (had a hunting idle every now and again) Took ages to narrow it down to this issue. But managed to find enough info on you tube to have a go at repairing it (Advice: try this before parting with 2gs for a new air-flow meter). That was 3 years ago. Never a problem since. A new set of Bilsteins on the back, and I realised I could fix these babies myself. Next, a leaky oil pipe at the radiator. Again onto youtube, and the info was all there.

I honestly think I have as much fun tinkering with it as driving it. And the ride is pure joy. Anyway, great to join your forum. Looking forward to learning a whole lot more here.

Dave

Welcome aboard Dave. Need to see some shots of that lovely C4. Or see it for real on the next SMT.

Hi Guys

Dave

one of us, one of us . ..?

Welcome. 

Edited by Harvs11

Welcome also Boris.   Great to see you doing the work yourself and enjoying doing it.

Hopefully meet you and your  964 on an SMT or a C&C.  

Plus we all love photos.....    

Welcome Dave.  Funny my daughter's car is also called Boris.  It's a Mazda 2.  Boris has been in the family for 9 years.  Maybe she will bring her Boris along to the next Dak Dak Cafe get together and your Boris can say hello to my daughter's Boris. 

Edited by Lucky Phil

Hi Guys

Dave

Welcome!

You're not related to @KGB are you? :P

G'day all

Thought I'd quickly introduce myself, having lurked on PFA for a couple of years...

After owning four BMW M3s in a row (and a fair few other quick cars and big sports bikes), I'm excited to finally be in the market for a Porsche. I always wanted one since I was a kid and now the time is right.

I've had a few drives in my mate's 997 GT2 and it's convinced me that my bucket of talent (and license) warrants no more than a base 997 or maybe 997S at most. Which is handy, really, given my limited budget.

I like to do some of my own basic mechanical work but equally know my limits. I end up modifying most cars I own but must look clean and close to original design.

Look forward to contributing to the forum. There's some amazing knowledge amongst the PFA members which I hope to tap into.

Cheers

Tricky

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

new here, looking for my First Porsche (944 Turbo or S2) after years of being in love with Porsche's, a friend of my fathers gave me his 911 key ring when I was about 6 after taking me for a spin... have been sold ever since ha.

from the U.K. Originally, been here 7 years, living and working in Port Melbourne (Holden Head Office).

Looking forward to getting into my first Porsche and meeting some of you more local folk.

Cheers,

Rich

Hi all, 

Having stalked the site for some time and spent many years dreaming of owning a 911, I finally picked up my first Porsche. Spending most of my time recently in off road 2 wheel motorsport I've been waiting (read saving!) for the opportunity to get back into 4 wheel Motorsport and found the perfect 911 to do it - a GRP 4 replica SC. My plan is to run tarmac events with it and have fun, but right now just looking forward to driving it! I've got plans for the car and making some changes in the near future, and no doubt will post up a lot of questions here.

cheers, 

Mike

Hey all, 

Im Matt, been playing with 911's for the last 12 years or so started with an 84 Carrera then went 996 C2 then 996 C4S and now have a 997s.2 and the addiction has now come full circle with me now wanting another air cooled beauty to put in the garage to outlaw the hell out of !! 

Love driving and tinkering with these machines, looking forward to meeting some other 911 nuts just like me to chat with as my wife is sooooo sick of me telling her about my latest hair brained idea to do with my car or next car ?

Hey all, 

Im Matt, been playing with 911's for the last 12 years or so started with an 84 Carrera then went 996 C2 then 996 C4S and now have a 997s.2 and the addiction has now come full circle with me now wanting another air cooled beauty to put in the garage to outlaw the hell out of !! 

Love driving and tinkering with these machines, looking forward to meeting some other 911 nuts just like me to chat with as my wife is sooooo sick of me telling her about my latest hair brained idea to do with my car or next car ?

Welcome, we all look for some other people to talk to about all things Porsche because our wives or partners are sick of hearing it also:D