INTRODUCTION THREAD

Best to not ask for opinions on here, it is the Internet after all! Welcome! :D

Thanks. I've been on here a few months but I hadn't yet posted an introduction.

Being of German heritage and a petrol head as long as I can remember, a Porsche has always been a dream car from an early age.

My wife and I had discussed on and off about looking at getting an old air cooled 911 in the garage to fulfill my dream, but due to one thing or another just never eventuated. Then back in 2015 she was diagnosed with Neuroendocrine carcinoma. After an amazingly brave 53 week fight undergoing Chemotherapy, whole head Radiotherapy and finally trying Immunology drug Keytruda she passed away last August...

Around Christmas I started looking seriously for a G series car - it offered a nice distraction during what has been and continues to be an extremely tough time. I had initially considered putting the money for this car in my Super, but after my wife and my father also dying young decided to buy the car instead of locking it away for another 20+ years with no guarantee I'll make it to retirement age anyway! Further to this I have decided if I can financially or physically do something now I will; although only a small step I have also gone to a 9 day fortnight so get to enjoy a 3 day weekend every second week.

First car I actually picked up the phone for and booking flights to see the red Autohaus Hamilton 3.2l that had done ~240,000km and in need of an engine rebuild the next couple of years. But I had always been drawn back to a white also Australian delivered 3.2l Carrera with only 177,000km that was for sale in Perth, so I called them even though it was initially listed over what I was wanting to pay. It had a PPI done end of 2015 when it was sold prior in SA and it was a glowing report! Therefore deposit paid on the proviso I was happy after looking at it in person and booked flights for that Saturday morning. Everything looked great including a huge file of receipts, so car was purchased early February!

I still flew to Sydney the following Monday as flights were booked as was leave, but instead of looking at the other car I took the ferry to Manly for a swim followed by fish and chips on the beach. Then on the way back to the airport spent the afternoon at the Art Gallery of NSW.

Shipping ended up taking a month as there was a long waiting list for vehicles to head back East and then also the main rail line was shut down for days because of floods in WA! Although I was worried the car arrived safe and sound without a mark.

For the roadworthy, all it needed was two new rear tyres and raised to legal height. Then finally picked up the club plates on my birthday early April. Since I've been out for 10 drives and already clocked around 2000km. Mostly over the Reefton Spur and more recently drives on the Kinglake - Strath Creek - Whittlesea loop.

Only change with the car so far has been a Wevo short shift fitted by NineAuto when I had it serviced a couple of weeks ago which has transformed the gearbox!

29lo1z5.jpg

Now, I realise that some of you will be shaking your heads here. Surely any Porsche other than a 911 is a downgrade, right? But this Cayman - I took it for a test drive - it is just ridiculous. So fast, so nimble, so wrap-around. Know what I mean? No disrespect, but as a drive, it craps all over my lovely old Targa from a great height.

To my mind it's a no-brainer that the 996 series 911, fried-egg headlamps and all, is the most undervalued Porsche of all, and therefore the car most likely to appreciate in value over the next few years. But how many years will that take? I don't think I can hang around, and someone else deserves to love this beautiful little car, and the Cayman GTS is sex on a stick. (Plus it's destined to become a desirable example of the last of the naturally-aspirated Porsche boxer 6's, right?)

I think all depends on what youre buying the car for... if its for investment purpose, then I agree, the GTS is the better pick, seeing how the most recent 718 has dropped off the face of the earth.
A lot of 996 were produced, so unless its a desirable low numbered car (both in production and mileage) I dont think the Targa got the same taste of appreciation here as it did in the more gloomy parts of the world (read Germany and UK).

Any reason youre picking the GTS model over say an S?

Edited by BlitzKonig

I believe you can option a new S up to GTS level for about the same money as a stock GTS, but there's still 10-odd kW of power missing, as well as maybe a few other mechanical tweaks.

But the main reason is that this car (which I've now signed off on) is a stunner. It's in a colour called Mahogany, and the wheels are keyed in the same colour. Looks amazing.

OK, now to open an Imgur account so you can admire my Targa. By the way, I read somewhere that despite many 996's being made, only 2000 of them were Targas. That's worldwide. Anyone else know if this is true?

I believe you can option a new S up to GTS level for about the same money as a stock GTS, but there's still 10-odd kW of power missing, as well as maybe a few other mechanical tweaks.

But the main reason is that this car (which I've now signed off on) is a stunner. It's in a colour called Mahogany, and the wheels are keyed in the same colour. Looks amazing.

OK, now to open an Imgur account so you can admire my Targa. By the way, I read somewhere that despite many 996's being made, only 2000 of them were Targas. That's worldwide. Anyone else know if this is true?

I read your OP, welcome. 

Buy what you like I say, don't worry about what anyone else thinks of your decision! The Cayman GTS is a GREAT car and I LOVE that Mahogany colour too! It's a good call to buy the higher base model car with low options, rather than option up the lower base car. 

With regards to when to hold, when to fold, I think its like realestate really, if your buying/selling in the same market then your golden.

996's that do not have the Mezger motor, have not enjoyed much in the way of gains unfortunately and I think when you put that into perspective, it is always going to be the case that there is a significant price delta between those cars with the split crankcase and those without it. 

Get some pics of that GTS up too :D 

996's that do not have the Mezger motor, have not enjoyed much in the way of gains unfortunately and I think when you put that into perspective, it is always going to be the case that there is a significant price delta between those cars with the split crankcase and those without it. 

Forgive my ignorance, but how do I know if mine has the Mezger motor? It's a MY2012. I actually thought the later models were more desirable because the earlier 996s had some serious mechanical problems due to it being Porsche's first water-cooled 911 engine; this was supposedly sorted out by 2002. Am I wrong?

Here's a pic of the engine:

CLETmPU.jpg

Forgive my ignorance, but how do I know if mine has the Mezger motor? It's a MY2012. I actually thought the later models were more desirable because the earlier 996s had some serious mechanical problems due to it being Porsche's first water-cooled 911 engine; this was supposedly sorted out by 2002. Am I wrong?

Only GT3's and the 996TT were based on the Mezger engine. 

Google Porsche IMS issues.

Check your documentation if it has been replaced by previous owners.

If not, consider doing it for piece of mind. You're looking between $2000 to $3000.

Appreciate the support guys. Loosing my partner of 18 years had been and continues to be immensely tough!

We threw everything at the cancer - including researching nutrition and using Eastern medicine practitioners as well as all the Western medicine treatments we could! Though we were told from the beginning even if the Chemotherapy initially worked which it did, remission would only last a few months to 3 years at best...

Spirited driving of the the car in the hills demands my undivided attention, so provides a morning focused on something other than the reality of the situation.

We threw everything at the cancer -

Very sorry for your loss. It's an unfortunately brutal variant of cancer. Cold comfort I know , but on a positive note , targeted immunotherapies are becoming the "new" chemotherapy. However they are extremely expensive to develop and manufacture,  thus all of us should donate where possible to the research that makes this possible.
We are all living on borrowed time , and you are right , there's no point in having a car sitting in the garage
not being used to put healthy vibes through your mind/body. Enjoy!

Brutal indeed! My wife's cancer was described by her Oncologist as 'unlucky' and was told from the beginning that it was not curable with current treatments.

Because her cancer was rare, there has been little research done! The immunology drug Keytruda we tried at the end as our only remaining option is actually now on the PBS for Advanced Melanoma. Having Neuroendocrine cancer meant instead of ~$60 per 3 week dose charged to Melanoma patients, we ended up paying over $3000+ (this was the compassionate price- actual price is actually double that)  per 3 week dose! 

Thanks also for sharing the story Dalia, not easy to do I would think.

I love your car and the three day weekends will definitely help you get out and about.

Hopefully catch up with you on one of our SMT's, or a cars and coffee at DAK DAK if your Melb Metro based. 

Cheers,

Niko 

Pulled the trigger on that Cayman GTS. My old Targa is now up on carsales.com.au and for the moment, I have the dubious honour of being the owner of two Porsches...

Here are some happy snaps of the Cayman taken at the dealership last week.

gu9vvIT.jpg

uCMjeV4.jpg

yNDGVE7.jpg

ndtcsGL.jpg

Delivery of this beauty won't be for another couple of weeks.

Anyone else going on the Hamilton run through the Blue Mountains this weekend?

WOW.      That is sensational, congratulations, love that colour.   

Welcome to the Cayman dark side.:CoolDance:

a couple of weeks of sleepless nights coming up.

good luck with the Targa sale......

Edited by Niko

Nice car.  Looks like there is a bit of damage over the rear guard is the correct?  Looks recent as the tyre also has a scrape in the same spot (some careless person at the dealers I expect).  Is the the reason for the delayed pick up?  I do like the colour.  Where is the dealer?  Is it Trade Prestige? There seems to be some nice machines on the floor in the background.  Must be good blokes as one of them follows Essendon Bombers it seems.  GLWS of Targa.  You will love the sound of the new car.  I agree with Niko it will be hard sleeping over the next two weeks. 

I suspect the "damage to rear guard" might just be a photographic artefact; I didn't see any damage on the day. OTOH maybe I didn't look hard enough.

Delayed pickup is complex - I'm having the car shipped up to Sydney from Melbourne, but I'll be in Melbourne for the next two weeks. Go figure. Yeah, why don't I drive the car up to Sydney? Because I don't have time, that's why. FML.

Plus I gotta sell that Targa.

Dealer was Dutton Garage in Richmond. I've never seen so many insanely desirable vee-hickles under one roof. Worth a browse. Many Porsches.

Congratulations on the Cayman GTS purchase - I don't recall it being advertised as such but I am reasonably sure this car is fitted with the sports chassis which is lowered by 20mm (code X73) rather than the PASM dampers so interested to hear in due course how you find the ride on Sydney roads.