Cayman GT4 RS

Grimmy

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, mc968cs said:

just wish i could get one....silly world we live in isn't it.

also rather interesting that there are now 36 911 gt3 or gt3rs listed on car sales - thats quite a lot! 

A few more 1.2 coming to the market- I wonder if that's because the 992 are getting delivered in "greater" numbers recently.

31 minutes ago, HWY said:

A few more 1.2 coming to the market- I wonder if that's because the 992 are getting delivered in "greater" numbers recently.

The cynic in me says this is PCA heading for the exit. No 488 Pistas on the market for 12 months and 7 of them now listed, six dealer cars… looks like Ferrari Australasia has the same idea.

50 minutes ago, mc968cs said:

just wish i could get one....silly world we live in isn't it.

Take comfort in the fact that those looking to flip are likely going to get burnt.

I don’t understand the mentality of someone buying a GT4 RS to flip it straight away. I just priced one without a single option and it’s $350,000 in round figures so let’s say someone spent that with the intention of making $20,000 (probably the minimum you’d want to make).

The buyer who was obviously desperate to have one then has to pay an additional $33,400 in Government charges to register it here in Victoria. You’d have to be very keen to pay $403,300 or an extra $83,400 for a used GT4 RS with no options.

2 hours ago, cafe_racer said:

Yep, not a limited production car. Probably a few flippers will do well in the first few months (but then will be blacklisted by PCA). After that, you’d say it’ll have standard depreciation just like any other GT car. 

In effect it will be at least here. My dealer got 8 cars and they aren’t expecting to get more.

17 hours ago, HWY said:

I'd say its because of the silly numbers being asked. Suspect a lot of 991.2 owners are simply putting a $400+k bait in the water on the off chance someone takes a bite. 

16 minutes ago, GT3MEZ said:

I'd say its because of the silly numbers being asked. Suspect a lot of 991.2 owners are simply putting a $400+k bait in the water on the off chance someone takes a bite. 

I agree. Just not thinking they are worth it ($400k or anything near) given I know two owners who purchased for $100k less not long ago!

17 hours ago, mc968cs said:

also rather interesting that there are now 36 911 gt3 or gt3rs listed on car sales - thats quite a lot! 

Just shows, they did make a A LOT of the rare & exclusive 991 + GT3/RS 😜 

4 hours ago, mc968cs said:

I agree. Just not thinking they are worth it ($400k or anything near) given I know two owners who purchased for $100k less not long ago!

Sure - but if you want a quick, communicative analogue-ish car, what else do you buy for $400K?

The Porsche GT4 RS Is the Cayman That Finally Beats the 911

The GT4 RS smashes the hierarchy.

Jun 24, 2022

2022 porsche gt4rs

James Lipman

The Cayman Complex is a phenomenon I identified about seven years ago. While the concept isn’t limited to Porsches, the Cayman is the ultimate example. It means an automaker knows how to build the best-possible car but chooses not to.

This story originally appeared in Volume 11 of Road & Track.

If every car were as good as it could be, then a hierarchal model range would be meaningless. Plus, every vehicle would cost a fortune. So how do you maintain a hierarchy without being too obvious about it? You want to impress prospective buyers with the spec sheet, making them feel like they’re getting their money’s worth. You also want to offer an even more aspirational product.

The Cayman GT4 and its topless sister, the Boxster Spyder, are Porsche’s best sports cars. But they’re not the best they could be. They are light and the right size for two passengers and luggage. They have excellent transmissions. Their naturally aspirated engines are 4.0 liters—a number that makes Porsche aficionados weep with joy—and are placed amidships for balance that flatters any driver.

But at Porsche, the 911 has its engine out back for various long-standing reasons. The middle is better, which is why Porsche finds creative ways to move every new 911’s engine a bit farther forward. Porsche won’t admit that the Cayman has the better platform. It can’t. The hierarchy must be maintained.

2022 porsche gt4rs

James Lipman

Porsche found ways to tie the Cayman GT4’s hands without making that choice seem conscious. The 4.0-liter engine in the GT4 could be the same as the one in the 911 GT3. Porsche claims cost drove that decision, but Cayman and Boxster buyers regularly add tens of thousands of dollars in options. They would spend for the best. Then there’s the gearing, which is far too tall. Second goes to 83 mph and third all the way to 114! Porsche knows that tighter gearing improves acceleration and shorter ratios don’t cost more than tall ones. Why do this?

The new Cayman GT4 RS proves the existence of, and puts an end to, the Cayman Complex. It’s the lightest Cayman ever, with a GT3 engine and nearly 500 hp attached to a close-ratio PDK gearbox. And there’s downforce.

I had only one day on the roads in the GT4 RS. I did 50 highway miles and another 120 in the hills, then ran a bunch of errands on the way home—a real “one-car solution” day. So, what’s this hierarchy-­busting Cayman like?

2022 porsche gt4rs

James Lipman

That depends heavily on the road quality. This is a true RS product, which means lightweight ­panels, bucket seats, and shocks that are brutally stiff even in the softest settings. A big swan-neck wing out back blocks the rearview, and the optional (on this Euro-market car) Clubsport roll bar blocks even more.

Even the mildest road imperfections jostle the Cayman like a skiff during a small-craft advisory. If you enjoy a coffee on your drive to the track or the canyons, pack a bib. Bluetooth phone calls are tough to hear over the abundance of road and engine noise. At freeway speeds, the engine turns at 3000 to 4000 rpm; the new gearing didn’t leave seventh alone for a comfy cruise.

These are not complaints, but simply observations that the GT4 RS has a narrow focus. It will beat the snot out of you if you try to use it as a daily driver, even if it does have reasonable luggage capacity and ample cabin space.

Then I turned off the highway and pointed up a silky mountain pass, and magic presented itself.

2022 porsche gt4rs

James Lipman

Sharing the cabin with a carbon-fiber airbox is a new level of motorsport-grade bliss. Thanks to the airbox, an abundance of revs, and the sharpest throttle control in the business, this RS will play a beautiful metallic symphony conducted by your right foot. The blitzkrieg that drills into your eardrums crossing 8000 rpm is unmatched by anything south of a multimillion-dollar Ferrari F50.

Fortunately, with the new shorter gears, it’s actually possible to reach redline within morally—if not legally—appropriate speeds. The PDK dual-clutch automatic, the only transmission available in the RS, is perfect as can be, ripping off shifts with stunning quickness and precision.

The engine is most effective in the top half of the powerband. It lacks turbochargers to provide shove down low, but because it revs so freely, spending an hour above 6000 rpm is no great hardship. This engine is clearly rooted in decades of podiums at Le Mans and Daytona.

2022 porsche gt4rs

James Lipman

With the nannies turned off, the exhaust valves wide open, and the shocks left in the softest setting (there is never a reason to use any other ­setting on public roads), the GT4 RS reveals itself. The stunning Highway 39 north of Azusa, California, might as well be the Pikes Peak Hill Climb. The car is mechanically linked to your brain waves. The weight transfer, the feel of changing tarmac surfaces through the tires, the ability to change gear at any point in a corner without upsetting the ­balance—it’s all as natural as in any car ever. There are faster cars in the world, but I cannot imagine wanting to go any faster up this road. The GT4 RS inspires unmatched confidence. You don’t need the electronics to save you; little bits of adjustment are actually welcome when the car communicates so clearly. Plus—and this is important—the Cayman is the right size.

Naturally, it’s even better on a track, like Southern California’s Streets of Willow, where you don’t just enjoy the sensory experience, but actually get to play at the car’s limits. Its incredibly sharp responses and nuanced feedback allow you to make four or five micro-adjustments per corner. There’s all the justification in the world to keep the engine spinning above 7000 rpm, where your body tingles and the extra power over the standard GT4 is readily apparent. In the chicane, a sharp lift off the throttle shifts the weight just far enough forward to dance the back out. Loading up the beefy carbon-ceramic brakes over and over and hauling down from 140 to 40 is no issue.

The GT4 RS gives you enough immediate confidence to focus on things like line and placement, making it equally rewarding for beginners and seasoned track junkies. And in typical Porsche GT fashion, you can expect a totally stock vehicle to run hard all day at a 100-degree racetrack, air-­conditioning blasting, without breaking a sweat. Though a GT3 is still technically faster thanks to extra rear grip, additional downforce, and a dash more power, you’d never be able to tell without a stopwatch. And frankly, the GT4 RS is more fun.

The Porsche Cayman GT4 RS is a celebration of what we love about gas-powered sports cars. Not in the overpowered, cammed-up nostalgic hot-rod way or the toxic “wasting as much fuel as possible for the LOLs” manner. In fact, the GT4 RS is remarkably efficient given its power, with a 400-plus-mile highway range on tap when needed. It celebrates mechanical precision. It’s a master class in feel and acoustic brilliance. Simply put, the GT4 RS is pure automotive excitement.

The next-generation Cayman will be an EV. I’m happy to know that I won’t have to ask “what if” Porsche had broken the Cayman Complex, and that when it did, the car was every bit as magical as I’d hoped. The GT4 RS is the best Porsche sports car of all time. Hierarchy be damned.

3 hours ago, sleazius said:

.....and don't expect to buy one cause you can't :Chuckle2:

As you pointed out, can't buy anything...    Am sure things will improve from here given all the doom and gloom news bombarding us all the time.

1 hour ago, HWY said:

As you pointed out, can't buy anything...    Am sure things will improve from here given all the doom and gloom news bombarding us all the time.

I'm just frustrated honestly. The day I picked up my GT3 in January 2018 I put a EOI down ($5k) on the (as of today) still unannounced GT3 RS. How much do you want to bet I will struggle to get one?

Then you see the same people flipping them 3 months after first deliveries on carsales.

If there was anything else that came close they'd have already lost me as a customer permanently.

23 hours ago, cafe_racer said:

Well mine finished build today. QC then on a ship. Good news! 

Did others get photos of it from the factory once completed?

Yep mines been built too.

Have heard we are expecting them end of September.

I didn’t get pics or anything.

• 4 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Gt3rsss said:

Talking to my local dealer and they seem to think there is a decent chance of getting a GT4 RS at this late stage. They are asking for a 10k deposit. Are they yanking my chain or is this a likely scenario? Also not sure if a 10k deposit is normal?

If so well done.  By when…I was told 2 years….? 😝

1 hour ago, Gt3rsss said:

Talking to my local dealer and they seem to think there is a decent chance of getting a GT4 RS at this late stage. They are asking for a 10k deposit. Are they yanking my chain or is this a likely scenario? Also not sure if a 10k deposit is normal?

Where is your local dealer? $5k is normal. $10k might be the new normal.

Last I was told Parra was only expecting 8 cars, and they cut their list at 30 people 18 months back.