912 US barnfind OTLW project

turboT

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 5:11 PM, turboT said:

I must be bored... - just ran the figures on this one.

Weight of a stock 912 is 965kg's. My little engine adds another 20pounds over stock (about 9kgs) - so total weight is 974kg's. with a total suggested HP of 200 this is 0.2Hp/kg

Taking a 996gt3 at 1350kgs and 355hp, this car is only marginally more efficient at 0.26 Hp/Kg, but yes I would need a big lift in power (around 255hp) to get gt3 quick) 

However, not sure about the SC, but a 930 with figures of 1379kg/256hp is less at 0.18Hp/kg

I wouldn't quibble about your quoted weight for a 930 but rear wheel HP from '77 onward was 300hp or 220rwkw.

I'm guessing Polopolous figures are perhaps measured at the flywheel?

I agree that the comparison to GT3 is moot, but I think you may have initiated it.

21 hours ago, hugh said:

Damn. “Klassy Outlaw” has a nice ring to it. 

But seriously Tom, understandably your interested in the outcome but I wouldn’t be too stressed about the numbers. GT3’s have a lot more to offer than HP just like old 911’s have never really been “fast” in in terms of straight line speed. It’s a cool project, so long as it feels “light” it will feel fast and I’d say that will be more than enough. 

couldn't give a stuff about the comparison with GT3's (or their owners) to be honest mate. Totally different cars. A bit of thread creep ;) 

56 minutes ago, mph911 said:

So it doesn't have 1965 brakes?

rebuilt 911 'S' brakes. Whole car went through a nut and bolt resto before I got it. I think the 'S' came in at 67. Not sure of exact date of the brakes. HP of the S was about 160 I think so these should be ok to stop a slightly lighter polo with less hanging out the back

1 hour ago, 9er said:

I agree that the comparison to GT3 is moot, but I think you may have initiated it.

Back handed comment to mr @itsujack  the proud new owner of a Touring.

He got it...I mean 912 versus GT3....?

23 hours ago, mph911 said:

They will be fine, they were good enough for 73 Carrera RS and early Turbo :)

23 hours ago, turboT said:

finally some good news ?

They'll be fine - and if you want ones that don't flex, upgrade to SC calipers.

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, clutch-monkey said:

that exhaust looks cool. wonder how these polo motors go with a little boost

from 2016 "The latest project is a Polo to rival the power output of the ubiquitously popular crate V8, but in a package that weighs easily 1/4 of the amount and fits in the confines of a 356 Speedster. “I just finished a car, it was a ’58 Porsche A coupe with a special limited slip transaxle in it, geared to do 160 mph. The guys are letting me put a turbocharger on it, it’s going to be scary — 400-500 horsepower,” he revealed."

2 hours ago, GC9911 said:

HOW good is that, Tom?... is that where you’re going ?...

ha  - na . The POLO engine on its self is enough for me  - double the power of my Tangy 912 seems enough. 

having met Rod earlier this year and  seen him at work, to own an Emory car would be on the bucket list though.