Tiptronic vs PDK vs Manual - future value

Hi everyone,

I'm considering investing in a 911 Turbo - most likely 997.1 generation but I have one concern.

Whilst I enjoy driving manual recreationally I find them tedious in traffic day to day (car would be driven day to day plus for fun on weekends!).. 

Just wondering what tbe forum readers think the mpact on future resale values will look like for Tiptronic vs PDK vs Manual.

My gut feel is the  Manual and PDK will do much better long term.  

Thoughts?

Cheers

Dave

How long term are you thinking? If you're thinking long long term values then you have to predict what future generations will desire, it won't be our generation buying. We all love a manual box today, but I think PDK may end up being the sweet spot offering convenience of auto without the sluggishness of tip...

i got a MKV Gti with DSG, simply amazing, the noise and the surge of power that just doesnt stop till you take foot off the gas. I don't know why we still make crappy auto cars when DSG is just miles ahead. So for me Pcars should be DSG and Manual. 

How long term are you thinking? If you're thinking long long term values then you have to predict what future generations will desire, it won't be our generation buying. We all love a manual box today, but I think PDK may end up being the sweet spot offering convenience of auto without the sluggishness of tip...

tend to agree

I think it is pretty much unanimous. It needs to be PDK or Manual. Like previously mentioned, I think Manual will fetch the highest price heading into the future. 997.2's with PDK will always be a hefty premium over the .1 tips. 

On the flip side, even though I hate tiptronc (in any car) if you can live with a tip, is the discount at buy in going to match the discount at sale time? That is the real question.

I look at it similar to the discount for an import vs a domestic, one is always going to be cheaper, but by how much? Although the difference in price between a tip and a manual is rational...

Having owned a 997.1 Turbo Tip I have to say it is the best Tip Porsche sold as long as you get the must have sport chrono option. Once moving the torque converter stays locked and in sport mode it will shift fast enough to give a good thump in the back. It also has good response to driver inputs shuch as a small stab at the throttle while crusing causing it to down shift. The biggest difference I found to the PDK was that the TIP was slow to learn how aggressively you are driving and quick to forget while the 997.2 PDK is fast to learn and slow to forget. The net result is you can be having a bit of a blast in the windy stuff and it will be working well at selecting gears but when you come to a straight say 400m long it will have shifted up to a high gear than required by the end and not shift down enough when braking for the corner causing it to shift again as you exit. The PDK handles this much better holding the gear and even if the straight is very long it will get back to sport shifting as soon as you brake hard. The Tip is definitely better around town with its second gear move off and torque converter torque multiplying effect. It accelerates from the lights harder with less revs on board and draws less attention in doing so. 

As far as value I doubt 997.1 Tip will drop too much further but the 997.2 still has a bit to go. So as stated above its a matter of personal preference and buy sell spread. If looking for an investment rather than a daily you could be waiting a very long time for these to increase in value or go anywhere matching inflation.

My mate works at Duttons and is in and out of a heap of cars all the time.  Reckons tippers are too much maligned and that they are a really capable auto gearbox, but clearly PDK is better and you'll pay for it.  The other option is manual which is an entirely different choice and I suspect far harder to find.  Who really cares what's going to be of more value later or should I say depreciate less - none of these cars are collectible IMHO.  Buy what suits your needs and budget and be happy.  Sounds to me like you ideally want a PDK but only if you've got the $$ to support that choice.  Why not drive a tip and see how you go in it?  You might like it for the price.

Ask yourself if a sporto 930 was available would they be worth more today, and how much would be the difference.

look at 996 tip/manual values.

i disagree on what future purchasers will want.  All the future purchasers of a 997 turbo are alive today, the preferences are baked in today.  cars that have feel and feedback will still be desired in the future - probably even more so.

Problem is that not everyone can afford a manual. 

So do you do without the 964/993/996/997 driving experience for the sake of driving "purity"?

I'm sure there will be still pauper Porsche owners in the future who will be very happy buying and driving Tips. 

Every Porsche I ever owned was manual excluding one 996 tiptronic which I loved !! I agree on the purity of a manual however if you can find a tiptronic at a 50k discount don't ignore it. They are better than most write ups would have you believe & very easy to live with on a day to day basis...

i got a MKV Gti with DSG, simply amazing, the noise and the surge of power that just doesnt stop till you take foot off the gas. I don't know why we still make crappy auto cars when DSG is just miles ahead. So for me Pcars should be DSG and Manual. 

Torque converter transmissions are bit more robust and provide smoother shifting than the DSG/PDK trannies. That is why they don't use them on larger diesel engines with higher torque outputs. I loved my MkV Pirelli GTI with DSG when I owned it and would agree with you on it being a better transmission but traditional slush boxes still have their uses. 

I think Tiptronic/traditional auto and PDK are a millennium apart. Its a Sopworth Camel v Stealth Fighter.

I had no interest in a PDK until I drove one. I am now a total convert - the technology and experience is amazing, the car can be a very easy about town silky smooth auto or a brutal beast at the flick of a button; the speed of gear changes is amazing. I would not buy another manual unless it was a classic Porsche. If a Porsche had a PDK option I would buy it. 

Have you seen the Walter Rohrl 991 GT2 video from Goodwood? Kind of sums up the PDK argument to me; I know folks will disagree, just like air v water, nat asp v turbo, etc.

Each to their own, technology marches on

Who cares! Buy and drive what you want, this continual which one is better is bollocks!

Interesting fact, the current PDK and manual gearboxes are the same only the control mechanisms are different. The "Manual" needs a special and highly complex device to make it feel like a traditional gearbox as the gears in a PDK are not in the conventional order. So driving a PDK manually or a manual is really the same thing... :)

Who cares! Buy and drive what you want, this continual which one is better is bollocks!

Interesting fact, the current PDK and manual gearboxes are the same only the control mechanisms are different. The "Manual" needs a special and highly complex device to make it feel like a traditional gearbox as the gears in a PDK are not in the conventional order. So driving a PDK manually or a manual is really the same thing... :)

The only "issue" is that with the PDK, you can't skip gears like with a manual tranny.

The only "issue" is that with the PDK, you can't skip gears like with a manual tranny.

How often do you skips gears in a manual?  I mean really how often?  And with PDK it's so fast who cares a jot?  PDK is the king of autos and best of both worlds, there is nothing wrong with a tipper and if you want to row yourself get a manual.  Simple.

How often do you skips gears in a manual?  I mean really how often?  And with PDK it's so fast who cares a jot?  PDK is the king of autos and best of both worlds, there is nothing wrong with a tipper and if you want to row yourself get a manual.  Simple.

Actually quite a lot, esp going down gears. I agree that the PDK/DSG boxes are great but just not as fun as a manual box. When I had my Golf GTI, I hardly used the manual function of the DSG. I prefer rowing through the gears with a stick rather than the paddles. 

I don't really care one way or another about gearboxes.  You find the car that you like and buy it....each does have it's merits I'm sure but you can't always have what you want, or so the saying goes.

I'll be driving my 'new to me 968 tipper' home tomorrow, so I'll spend some time on the freeway and some time in the bends and some time in traffic.....in my case, I can choose to drive it like a clutchless manual or an auto.

Anyway, better get back to it, I have my shed to finalise so the new car has an indoor home!

I don't mind the acceleration / deceleration experience with DSG but for drivability in terms of parking, hill starts, stop/start etc they are miles off a slusher and worse than a manual.  Maybe PDK is bettter than the VW experience but throw in the long term reliability question and it's manual/tip/pdk for me.

Archived