Coronavirus - what do you think?

31 minutes ago, JV911 said:

I'm guessing it's the type of interaction - at the pub and at bingo/housie, you're shaking hands and kissing hello

Aren't I supposed to do that at Coles? Hmmm...I wondered why I get arrested now n then

1 hour ago, JV911 said:

A few knobs had to ruin it for everyone. A fair proportion of new cases over the weekend were, you guessed it, backpackers in the eastern suburbs...karma's a b!tch.

I'm guessing it's the type of interaction - at the pub and at bingo/housie, you're shaking hands and kissing hello, sitting in close proximity to people for hours on end, and drinking from glasses which probably haven't been cleaned as well as they should. At Coles you're in and out with no interaction...except for those people who have to handle every piece of fruit in the shop!

Interesting but I don't know if Italy is a good comparison. 60 million people in an area less than half the size of NSW and a very sociable, cosmopolitan society and the 2nd oldest population of any country. I have friends and family in lock-down there, but it was probably too late when that came into effect. 

Agree - we are vastly different to Italy in many ways.  To this point, our numbers have a parallel trajectory.  Hopefully we will get our shit together faster than they did & not follow the same end game.  Seeing the usual crowds out & about this past weekend hasn't left me with a lot of optimism.    It now appears to be a 6 month plus game that we're slowly getting into & that will just wipe out a lot of people & businesses.

Edit - most of the impact of this past few days won't be seen for 5 - 14 days, at which point it will be a very different situation.

9 hours ago, LeeM said:

@Raven

I'm more concerned about the missus' job with intellectually disabled people, as the company is already in damage control with their onsite care in lockdown, so home visits and excursions (what the missus does) are next on the chopping block.

My daughter and son in law do exactly that as well Lee, but with the physically disabled, so I am worried they will be on the chopping block as well. 

For most average Australians this stimulus package or gov' handout ain't going to help these people at all. The small business owner eg, cafe, pizza shop, etc, it looks like these people won't get much out of this unfortunately. Talking with the people who have a couple of these shops in my neighborhood and surrounds, they are week to week now with wages and rents. These are the people i feel sorry for, it's ok for the gov to come out and say work from home, i don't think most pollies realise most of us can't work from home. Some of these small cafe's will be able to offer pre-made meals ready to pick up, most won't unless they spend money to change the way they operate, in this current climate is it really worth it?

Giving cash to punters is the wrong move.  Stop taking so much cash from businesses to give to the punters is the right move.  Net result for the gov is the same, but one collects more votes.   So the wrong one gets done.  

The call out on not knowing what’s going to happen for 14 days is the right one.  Plenty of places have seen them adding per day what they had in total 14 days ago.  By then it’s too late.  New York is now in the same boat as Italy - the horse has bolted.  Yet to be seen if Aus can avoid that path.

I thought (mistakenly) that the decision to double the 'jobseeker' and the leaning on banks to offer pause buttons on mortgages and business loans was setting up for a complete pause in commercial society (rather than just hospitality at this point).  Akin to economic amputation but I'm not sure what the alternative is.  fwiw, we just shut our (very small) doors.  My assumption was shut until christmas but I now wonder if it will be longer.

i still have to deal with the general public. fml.

so many boomers being blase/ignorant about this, so i guess natural selection will come in to play.

the stats from italy are frightening, as are the live feeds from their ICU units- our doctors are paying attention to what is playing out there.

we may see a series of lockdowns;

infection rate increases, beds fill up, lock down to slow rate
people recover, are immune, beds free up, relax restrictions
infection rate increases again, beds fill up again, lock down to slow rate
next lot of people recover and become immune, are released, restrictions relaxed again
repeat ad nauseum
it will take months/year(s) but will get the population herd immunity without overloading hospitals.
as people adapt to hygiene measures you'll also see places re-open to somewhat of a norm once people stop being fuckwits.

the suicides from people going broke will probably rival the coronavirus deaths.

3 hours ago, clutch-monkey said:

i still have to deal with the general public. fml.

so many boomers being blase/ignorant about this, so i guess natural selection will come in to play.

the stats from italy are frightening, as are the live feeds from their ICU units- our doctors are paying attention to what is playing out there.

we may see a series of lockdowns;

infection rate increases, beds fill up, lock down to slow rate
people recover, are immune, beds free up, relax restrictions
infection rate increases again, beds fill up again, lock down to slow rate
next lot of people recover and become immune, are released, restrictions relaxed again
repeat ad nauseum
it will take months/year(s) but will get the population herd immunity without overloading hospitals.
as people adapt to hygiene measures you'll also see places re-open to somewhat of a norm once people stop being fuckwits.

the suicides from people going broke will probably rival the coronavirus deaths.

not sure there were many "boomers" at Bondi.    How do you come to that conclusion?   All the boomers I know are taking it seriously.

Or is this just another bashing of boomers by the younger generation.    

13 minutes ago, Niko said:

not sure there were many "boomers" at Bondi.    How do you come to that conclusion?   All the boomers I know are taking it seriously.

In this particular case the younger generations are being asked to shoulder the load for a generation that frankly couldn't give a stuff about their concerns. I'm Gen X so I've got little to no dog in this race before I get roasted, but I can see where they are coming from (gen Y, gen Z).

Can't afford a house? Stop being lazy.

Things too expensive? Stop eating avocado.

In debt from uni? Work a part time job, thats how I paid for it (not even remotely possible these days).

Worried about the environment? No need to worry about that.

Can't afford a mortgage? Rates were 18% back in my day (also irrelevant when houses cost 3.5x median earnings back then vs 11x now)

Boomers have already made their money, and lived their lives. Younger generations are being asked to put their lives on hold (and possibly worse) to protect boomers and the interwar generation from a disease that doesn't really affect them (on a large scale).

Not saying I agree with it, but I can see why there is a 'stuff that' attitude.

I didn't even know there was an intergenerational war/tiff.

You're born into whatever generation happens to exsist at that time in history.

My father born in WW1 and captured in Singapore in WW2 may have though he'd been better off somehow but I never heard it.

9 hours ago, TINGY996 said:

Lee you can't get touchy/ feely with evryone you know, there has to be some limits:D

Bugger  😫

4 hours ago, clutch-monkey said:

Sadly, that's a very real problem when some can't see the light at the end of the tunnel...and it's pretty bloody dim now

So! I had a call today that we have a shed load of kitchens to install to keep us busy for the next few months which is great...until 10 minutes ago!

A couple at work came back from overseas early a week ago and went into isolation, and their kid who works at the company didnt go, so he he was advised not to visit his parents until after the 14 days. Guess what he did? 

Yep, he lied at first saying he hadn't visited them, then owned up to the boss that his mum is Covid-19 positive, and that he did infact go and see them. The worst part, is that he has been in and out of the office and onsite with 7 carpenters and 3 labourers who all now have to go into self isolation stopping a few jobs that are in progress, and quite a few jobs that were supposed to start within the next two weeks. We can probably carry the chippys workload, yet the labourers are flat out every day, so you can imagine the boss went apeshit! 

That now leaves me and 60 others in limbo. Fortunately I haven't been in the office or worked with anyone else, yet the consensus is that we may have to close up shop just to be sure. In the meantime I'm off to Bunnings to buy some masks just incase

1 hour ago, firstone said:

Fk me, what a roller coaster for you.

A shock to find out it was on your doorstep. 

I hope it goes better than your worst expectations. It was in the palm of your hand.

Slap him. 😉

Yeah, it's been up n down the past few days, especially the missus being very concerned for her mum and her job as a support worker, yet it was great to hear about the work load looking much brighter...WAS anyway 🙄 

After I told her what happened at work, she's now very paranoid we're at a much higher risk. The bloke I usually answer to and work with on occasion was one of the people who came into contact, so I've just told him he has to make a decision whether to isolate or not. 

I'm half expecting a call from the bosses son at the moment, so just incase, I'm going to call the bank tomorrow to see if we can do anything to cover our arses. I highly doubt it, but without any income, we're stuffed. 

The system is dumb! 

I flew home from Darwin this morning, Aeroplane half full, seats everywhere, but two German girls sat next to me.  They didn’t cough or splutter, but I did.  Everyone had masks or scarves.

Next leg, kiwi fella sat next to me.  Just back from a fishing trip in NZ.  No temp checks or asked any questions and no mask.  Overnight in Sydney, then morning flight to Tamworth.  Heading to Nundle property to self isolate for 14 days.... bit bloody late isn’t it,  already infected half the state (if he is positive)?

So the policy is, let everyone in and if they get sick then, do something. 🤯🤬

I am in 14 day wife enforced isolation and that’s the strictest of the lot 🥺

15 hours ago, Niko said:

I work in an area with older people and a lot are extremely blasé/ignorant/don’t fully understand it and are ignoring the self isolation recommendations. You’d think they’d be careful about it. A lot of them saying it’s just a flu etc.

the younger generations aren’t perfect with it either (there have been some real idiots about it actually) but hey they aren’t at the same risk from the boomer remover virus.

12 hours ago, LeeM said:

Yeah, it's been up n down the past few days, especially the missus being very concerned for her mum and her job as a support worker, yet it was great to hear about the work load looking much brighter...WAS anyway 🙄 

After I told her what happened at work, she's now very paranoid we're at a much higher risk. The bloke I usually answer to and work with on occasion was one of the people who came into contact, so I've just told him he has to make a decision whether to isolate or not. 

I'm half expecting a call from the bosses son at the moment, so just incase, I'm going to call the bank tomorrow to see if we can do anything to cover our arses. I highly doubt it, but without any income, we're stuffed. 

I think this bloody thing is going to stuff all of us Mate.

11 hours ago, LeeM said:

They weren't testing any passengers yesterday at Adelaide airport

That would be because our borders close today .

15 hours ago, Niko said:

Same Niko . Everyone I know in the danger zone are taking it very seriously . Must have something to do with who you surround yourself with ………..at a safe distance of course