Coronavirus - what do you think?

I don’t see what a $750 handout will achieve at all.  People who are anxious about job security, doom and gloom are likely to tuck it away not spend it.  And with social distancing now expected, who’s going to the shopping centre?  those who do spend it are much more likely to spend on line (likely via OS suppliers) which defeats the purpose.

We're currently pivoting our entire business to online services. Nightmare.

Best case though I think most of our team will only get 2-3 days a week work once the shutdowns start. There are at least 15 that can't do much of anything during this period and I'll only be able to keep them employed if the rest of the team agrees to a pay cut.

I'm probably going to have to ask the team to take an effective 40% pay cut (because of reduced hours) or roll out redundancies within 4-6 weeks of government shutting us down, and we're a medium sized business.

I don't think the government fully realises how catastrophic forced shutdowns are going to be for the economy.

4 hours ago, firstone said:

You'd be shocked to know how many people are living week to week even with having a go supplementing their gov payments. They're not all losers.

Catching up with electricity would be a luxury.

Never said all were mate. Just the junkies, and those who have the facility to get off their arse and earn a living, instead of popping out 4 kids before they're 20 years old and having the tax payer look after them.

I see it every other day, and I can tell you now that they're probably better off than most people I know who work in basic jobs. It's bred into them by their feral parents who have never worked a day in their life, and teach their kids to just sponge off the government. I really do have to bite my tongue with that scum sometimes 

Having worked for Centrelink for over 30 years I have to agree with Lee.

If you knew half of what I've seen and know you would be wanting heads to roll.

I might add it's not only the unemployed but the employed and business people as well that are rorting the system.

I'd better not say anymore as I WILL get myself into trouble.

2 hours ago, 42 South said:

Just heard a rumour that Virgin Airways has gone into receivership - no confirmation yet, but just a taste of things to come....

All airlines and Boeing are heading for the big runway in the sky.  The only ones that will survive will be government backed state airlines from petrostates.

Bailouts will happen - however if there was someone smart in Government they could make a tidy profit.  Lend them as last resort and end up owning equity over time.  In a year people will be flying again and earnings will soar.  Govts can sell equity back into rising market and make bank.   Sadly they are idiots and the airlines will take the public cash and laugh at the idiots who gave it to them, then cut services and increase charges because ‘tight times’.

cruise lines are simply dead but smart buying  whatever is left standing at the end.

Week 3 for me at home.  Week 2 of home schooling.  No end in sight.  Can’t even bugger off to the mountains as they closed the ski areas down.  Lucky got a last minute trip to whistler in before they shut the resort and now the border.  Have also closed all restaurants and god knows what else.  Politicians have flipped to one-upping each other with how much cash they can throw about, and how many things they can close.

May we all live in interesting times- should have sold the spare P car a while back.  Looks like I’ll have 2 for a while now !

I'd rather support the druggies with small amounts of welfare than the alternative. No-one wants more home invasions, burglary and armed robbery. Besides, if old mate sticks $750 up his arm in one go, the problem neatly takes care of itself.

We're better off as a society as a whole if we support the less fortunate, even if they do it to themselves.

1 hour ago, firstone said:

Welfare is a blessing and a curse.

You’re paying people to destroy themselves in a house and not the street I guess.  Paying them not to bother being a thief in a lot of cases.  Met a generational welfare family once - they study the rules like a bookie studies the form book.  It was astounding to see what quality of life you could get without ever - and I mean never - working.

I am a Afghanistan Veteran and receive $13 a fortnight and a free opal travel card as part of my War service disability payments "Hearing Loss" in one ear 

I will be receiving the $750 Stimulus payment and will either pay a house hold bill with it or put it away in the bank ..I honestly would have prefered it as a tax cut of my taxable income in July 

I just dont believe that this is going to stimulate any economic growth.

If working class families are going to receive this and I think all tax payers should ...I would suspect they would put it towards house hold payments like energy or water bills ,,insurances , rego or grocery bills and so forth ..

With all these new travel and public gathering restrictions by the government today for at least six months, why even bother going to work or doing anything at all? I bet the politicians won't suffer with their perks and annual wage, but they're just 'doing the right thing'. A nurse (bosses wife) told me yesterday the hospital she works in have stopped the testing, as they can't buy anymore PPE to protect themselves against the virus due to government restrictions. How fkn stupid is that?

And it's not just those who are at risk with the virus now, its those who won't be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel and lose their livelihoods who need to be looked after.

1 hour ago, LeeM said:

With all these new travel and public gathering restrictions by the government today for at least six months, why even bother going to work or doing anything at all? I bet the politicians won't suffer with their perks and annual wage, but they're just 'doing the right thing'. A nurse (bosses wife) told me yesterday the hospital she works in have stopped the testing, as they can't buy anymore PPE to protect themselves against the virus due to government restrictions. How fkn stupid is that?

And it's not just those who are at risk with the virus now, its those who won't be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel and lose their livelihoods who need to be looked after.

Tell me . What is your plan ?

i'm not an accountant, and I'm sure many of you will understand this more, but the next BAS return will have a 40% reduction automatically taken off the amoutn needing to be paid to the ATO in the statement.

This came in a newsletter from our accountant. There's an upper cap on the rebate, depending on business size. And if you are a small business theres a one off injection, all to help cashflow.

It may help smooth thing for a while, and is one aspect I have not seen many of the media alarmists pick up on.

29 minutes ago, deano said:

i'm not an accountant, and I'm sure many of you will understand this more, but the next BAS return will have a 40% reduction automatically taken off the amoutn needing to be paid to the ATO in the statement.

This came in a newsletter from our accountant. There's an upper cap on the rebate, depending on business size. And if you are a small business theres a one off injection, all to help cashflow.

It may help smooth thing for a while, and is one aspect I have not seen many of the media alarmists pick up on.

Capped at $25k - so not even 1/3 of a week of payroll for my business. It applies to businesses up to $50M in turnover too, which most of those would have payrolls around $500k a week. The $25k is helpful, but it won't stem job losses. I haven't read anything regarding the 40% discount on the next BAS, but again, too little to make any real difference to saving jobs. Both of these measures are probably more designed to keep sole traders and micro businesses (up to 3 employees) in business. 

Thank goodness the government has adopted the stance that shutting the economy down is a mistake. I'm now much more confident in keeping my people working as a result (fingers crossed).

13 minutes ago, sleazius said:

Thank goodness the government has adopted the stance that shutting the economy down is a mistake. I'm now much more confident in keeping my people working as a result (fingers crossed).

Agreed . 

1 hour ago, deano said:

Wow that is interesting 

I am a soul trader these days tradie on his own and generally turn over around $20 K a quarter 

this sounds like I will not be paying any tax if that is the case ?

just on that what do families with huge mortgages do ? 
some one has to be working to pay the mortgage and household bills , I doubt the banks will say you can miss some payments till you can work again or the government gives the nation the all clear 

Day two of home schooling in our household -   aaaaarghh.  Pretty much impossible to get much else done (& I've got 15 yrs in ed background so I'd like to think I'm better equipped than most).  Kids sport have all been shut down so it's full on cabin fever for a couple of months with me on day release twice per week to go to a fire station.  Our fuel usage has gone through the floor.

1 hour ago, sleazius said:

Capped at $25k - so not even 1/3 of a week of payroll for my business. It applies to businesses up to $50M in turnover too, which most of those would have payrolls around $500k a week. The $25k is helpful, but it won't stem job losses. I haven't read anything regarding the 40% discount on the next BAS, but again, too little to make any real difference to saving jobs. Both of these measures are probably more designed to keep sole traders and micro businesses (up to 3 employees) in business. 

The $25K and the 40% are the same benefit - actually is 50% unless changed from initial announcement.  Final detail still to be worked out obviously, but initial announcement indicated that the amount was to be a 50% refund of PAYGW up to the $25k cap.  Although it would make sense to show this as a rebate or reduction of the PAYGW payable on the BAS, it appears this is to be a separate refund a week or so later.  - TAX FREE

Also 50% subsidy of apprentice wages up to $7000/apprentice for 9 mths from 1/1/20, provided business has < 20FTE

+ additional write offs for equipment purchases