Coronavirus - what do you think?

I had been following two Boxsters on car sales, both typically listed for long period with not selling, then this week at the peak of corona (to date) they both disappear (assuming sold).

interesting that at a time people's super has evaporated 30%++, people plunged in a brought a sports car in one of the most dramatic uncertain weeks in modern history.

big ups to you, big b*lled fellows

Just now, 550Spyder said:

I had been following two Boxsters on car sales, both typically listed for long period with not selling, then this week at the peak of corona (to date) they both disappear (assuming sold).

interesting that at a time people's super has evaporated 30%++, people plunged in a brought a sports car in one of the most dramatic uncertain weeks in modern history.

big ups to you, big b*lled fellows

Top down wind in their hair devil may care driving off into the sunset ….. then over the cliff

1 hour ago, LeeM said:

Was shown a video from a Coles truck driver of the check out line up of the doomsday preppers at 1am yesterday. The back of the line started at the front of the store that went around the outside isle of the whole place 😅

People can be really stupid

My mum said there were about 50 or 60 of her fellow senior citizens lined up at 7am waiting for coles to open this morning. As it opened, dunny paper was being handed out at the door to avoid a stampede - a few people tried to go back around for seconds but were rightly refused. Further, for those items that are limited to, say, 2 per customer, the checkout won't scan a 3rd.

received_202354541048576

I can't help but feel that the current response by the gov and the silly masses is somewhat over the top because I think that the long term social impact of bankrupt businesses and out of work people with families to support is going to be greater than the virus. I understand the need for social distancing and support this move but a whole bunch of business should still be able to successfully operate within this constraint. I feel terrible for all the people who will be financially ruined, potentially for the rest of their lives.

Something weird going on here. 
As you know some business’s have closed down so that people can self isolate. Traffic is quiet and it’s quite pleasant being out and about, Well self isolation and distancing yourself from others doesn’t seem to be working here, people are now either at the beach ( couple of warm days ) or sitting in coffee shops and in the parks. I live on the Sydney’s nth side, Seaforth and thought I’d be brave and drive down to my favourite coffee shop ( one of many ) to spread a few dollars to keep the economy moving, well the placed was packed and a little too crowded so I went to be second favourite, it was just as crowded. 
So much for isolation

Good information on the Drum abc last night about the curve they see in pandemics. Seemed to make sense. The sooner we observe the restrictions the sooner the curve flattens. The sooner we get back to life as is will be after.

It was considered likely that it would take a greater hold before it peaks here requiring greater retrictions to get ahead of it. It is self defeating to be human so so.

Straight off the back of drought and fires we haven't seen before the government now has this 😨

Nobody has been through this type of issue and all the knock on effects. None of us. So although i know they won't get everything right here I'm giving em 👍 from my limited perspective so far. I can't imagine getting across all this and performing well.

I bought coffee sugar and milk after driving past the coffee shop. 😂

I can't afford to be off work. Any other time I'd still go to work with the flu because I can keep away from others. Atm I'd be pushed out for a runny nose.

Drove the Porsche early this morning. 😉

This thing is going to be with us for at least 6 months, likely 12 months, and possibly 18 months. Locking down doesn't work unless you are committed to keeping everyone non essential in their homes at gunpoint for the duration.

Although Wuhan is currently clear, the rest of China isn't, so it is just a matter of time before they get re-infected, and they've been in lockdown for 10 weeks so far.

The best course of action is social distancing so we develop herd immunity over a longer period of time. In order for this to work, the majority of people are going to be infected at some point. It is inevitable. But we can minimise the impact to health services by flattening the curve of infection.

Back to cars, just wait a few months. There will be distressed bargains yet, the only way there isn't is if the banks put everyone on a loan repayment holiday (they've already done it for small business so who knows).

Look for the newest models, and those held by speculators, those are the cars that are likely to crash in value and have forced sales.

If you're looking for a bargain on a DB5 or F40 it isn't likely to happen without sustained economic fallout. The people who own those aren't likely to get into enough strife that they'll tank on the market.

6 hours ago, WB997.2GTS said:
Something weird going on here. 
As you know some business’s have closed down so that people can self isolate. Traffic is quiet and it’s quite pleasant being out and about, Well self isolation and distancing yourself from others doesn’t seem to be working here, people are now either at the beach ( couple of warm days ) or sitting in coffee shops and in the parks. I live on the Sydney’s nth side, Seaforth and thought I’d be brave and drive down to my favourite coffee shop ( one of many ) to spread a few dollars to keep the economy moving, well the placed was packed and a little too crowded so I went to be second favourite, it was just as crowded. 
So much for isolation

The closest beach to me (Stanwell Park about 1hr south of sydney) also more crowded than I've ever seen it, people everywhere in cafes & when I dropped in to a local school to pick up some work for my son I was amazed to see the usual huddle of parents, as close as usual.  Received an email about harmony day at our local school today, pictures of groups of kids hugging and holding each other. Can't believe it - we are going to follow Italy.  Everyone's missed the point.  I honestly can't believe the lack of communal/civic responsibility.  Anyway, we're all different beasts & I'm forced to conclude that (in my area at least) I'm outside the norm with my thinking.  Will be a very interesting next 6 weeks as this really ramps up (I noticed California issued a 'shelter in place' directive today...getting ready for that type of knee jerk reaction).  Never mind the 4000 odd people who docked yesterday from a cruise ship and allowed to just roll out.  I'm mystified.

Edit - going for a blast in a Porsche as soon as I can, while it's still allowed.

Just got the official email from work. Runny nose, out for 14 days min.

These people still contacting with others, shit will get real when they can't go to work. Then it'll be wahhh wahhh i can't pay. Let alone the business they work for being out employees. 

😥😥😥

Oh if I hide my sickness and attend I can be prosecuted.

I must get new slippers. As soon as my feet hit the floor in the morning my nose runs in the cold weather. 

it is official ....:Sweating:

Release date

2020/03/19

Categories
    • Porsche Group
    • Production
    • Porsche AG - Leipzig
    • Porsche AG - Stuttgart
    • Oliver Blume, Chairman of the Executive Board of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG

https://press.au.porsche.com/prod/presse_pag/PressResources.nsf/Content?ReadForm&languageversionid=1077600

Porsche stops production due to the coronavirus

Stuttgart/Australia. As from the coming week, Porsche will suspend production for an initial period of two weeks. By taking this step, the sports car manufacturer is responding to the significant acceleration in the rate of infection caused by the coronavirus and the resultant measures implemented by the relevant authorities.

In addition to the primary protection of the workforce, bottlenecks in global supply chains no longer allow orderly production. At the same time, Porsche is preparing for a decline in demand and securing its financial strength with these decisions. The parent plant in Zuffenhausen and the production location in Leipzig will be closed from Saturday (21 March 2020). These steps have been taken as part of an orderly process and in close cooperation with the works council.

“With these measures, our company contributes to the protection of the workforce and the reduction of the spread of the coronavirus. The actual consequences are not yet predictable. It is therefore too early for forecasts. What is clear is that 2020 will be a very challenging year,” says Oliver Blume, Chairman of the Executive Board of Porsche AG. “We can only overcome the pandemic together and by taking rigorous measures.” Against this background, Porsche is fulfilling its entrepreneurial and social responsibility and stopping production. The situation will continuously be re-assessed.

In addition to suspending production, Porsche has decided on a number of intensified measures: there is a ban on business travel, for example, ‘mobile working’ has been greatly extended, and meetings will now take place only by video or conference calls.

10 hours ago, WGA said:

I can't help but feel that the current response by the gov and the silly masses is somewhat over the top because I think that the long term social impact of bankrupt businesses and out of work people with families to support is going to be greater than the virus. I understand the need for social distancing and support this move but a whole bunch of business should still be able to successfully operate within this constraint. I feel terrible for all the people who will be financially ruined, potentially for the rest of their lives.

Very true

I really dont care what anyone thinks, but as far as I'm concerned, the government(s) are playing Russian roulette with thousands of peoples lives with their incessant rules and regulations of what we can do and where. 

Sure it's a new virus with no vaccine at the moment, I get that, yet restricting social activities to X amount of people will do nothing if ONE person has the virus in that minimalist group. Are Coles and the like only admitting 100 people at a time in their stores? Ofcourse not, so what's the difference with that compared to a bingo club? 

All in all you can call me an idiot for my attitude, but I think this has been blown WAY out of proportion by those who insist on flexing their political muscle to ensure they feel like they're doing the right thing for the better of the country. Bullshit! 

And I'll add that my missus is a support worker for the intellectually handicapped who has now been told she has to buy her own temperature gauge to self manage, yet all operations may have also to cease, so she won't be working. Me as tradie working in housing trust homes and and retail homes doing reno's, work has dropped off remarkably, so theres also a chance I won't be working. That equates to probably $3000/wk we'll be out of pocket, so what do we do then? We have some savings, yet that won't last that long from experience a few years ago when I was earning bugger all then unemployed and the missus was studying, and $30k just vanished like it was overnight. We have probably $300k in equity, yet the bank won't allow a redraw if we can't pay it back, so we're basically stuffed for gawd knows how long. Scary times for sure

I hear you Lee, it may be that they're getting it wrong.

I have a wise Greek man in my life. Life is simple to him. Bend with the breeze he says. 

Unfortunately it is how it is so I'm looking at the job markets that have increased needs. Freight logistics are hiring packers and drivers atm to keep up. 😉

11 hours ago, LeeM said:

Sure it's a new virus with no vaccine at the moment, I get that, yet restricting social activities to X amount of people will do nothing if ONE person has the virus in that minimalist group. Are Coles and the like only admitting 100 people at a time in their stores? Ofcourse not, so what's the difference with that compared to a bingo club? 

Lee, the disease is transmitted via the air and then enters via your orifices (mouth, eyes, nose) and not by simply being in the vicinity of it. So you could have a carrier or two in a group and no one receives a dose.

The difference between the supermarket and bingo/carnival/football scenarios is one of risk and reward.  In this case, essential (food and well being related nutrition) compared to entertainment value which is not essential to supporting life.

I understand that one might see them as the same and to a degree they are but if one asseses risk AND reward then essential items such as food and hygiene items (and I mean nutrition etc and not corn chips and cookies) and medicine have the reward for the risk whereas having a fun time doesn't.

The disease is in a rapid growth phase and this is unchecked at the moment.  The misunderstanding and increasing awareness is also growing unchecked as well. As both start to normalise we'll all get a little better at dealing with it.

So in the meantime, we all need to rest up, eat healthy, reduce our risk of infection and go on with our lives. Taking precautions and being sensible is the best approach.

For tomorrow the zombies will come and then we're all doomed