Coronavirus - what do you think?

3 minutes ago, Uncle said:

When I was in my mid 20’s I developed a strong interest in virology and to a lesser extent epidemiology. I read anything I could get my hands on for a few years for my own interests. Whilst I’m not even basically qualified in any way shape or form you could see this coming from miles and miles away. Our greatest asset in the past has been our remoteness from other countries. If something broke out on a boat on the way here there was a good chance everyone would be dead before they arrived. Simple.

As we all know we dropped the ball on our speed to react so the distance ball was not only dropped but lost. So far as I can see our leadership has been a deer caught in the headlights. Not wanting to make an unpopular choice with the people and not wanting to upset the Frank Lowy’s of the nation. Even a Dunning-Kruger epidemiologist such as myself can what needs to happen but simply isn’t happening.   

agreed. part of it is that things like SARS or ebola always were "not happening here" problems. If sars had gotten a foothold here i imagine response would have been more experienced.

heads up guys, we'll get through this.

We drove  past Flinders st and in the city on Saturday, and the place was pretty quiet. 

The stormstrooper standing on the steps of the station holding a sign did it for me, "this storm will pass".

It will, the world will be a different place, but it will pass.

Agree with Wilson, dont hand out too much online, or even limit the constant barrage, you'll be better for it.

My garage is a C free zone, dont even mention it. just Carla Bruni on Spotify, and a new RC  model yacht being made.

Happy(ish) days..

14 minutes ago, deano said:

My garage is a C free zone, dont even mention it. just Carla Bruni on Spotify, and a new RC  model yacht being made.

Happy(ish) days..

What are you building / assembling Deano?  I've got a DF65 and 95 currently, getting back into it in a small way after a big past in IOMs, RMs, R10Rs etc

gosh, sorry fellas, look away, thread diversion warning.

I've got an unopened DF95 in the box my mrs doesnt know about yet.

( I went to Bunna's a month ago, and dropped past the local sanctuary. 3 grotty yachties where having a blast doing their own RC regatta, so I said g'day as you do.

Next minute, one hands the  remote over ( he needed a slash), and I was hooked again. It was blowing around 25-30 knts, the thing was a submarine most of the time. So I went online, and ordered from Hobby warehouse. Its under a few bags in the garage.

Currently I am building an Emma, trad double ended, plywood hard chine yacht from plans from bearospace industries. They look to sail well.

I have a few scratch built rc boats that are 'too good' to use because I get carried away, they are named after my kids.

I said to mrs, it was time she had a boat named after her ( as an excuse/primer to say i'm building another one).

I said I just wanted something 'simple,no nonsense, gets the job done, a bit of a knockabout, but looks nice', and just missed a kick to the cobblers.

Have made a 1M trimaran, model 65 Alden schooner, Volvo 60,

Will start a rc happy thread with some pics.

1 hour ago, clutch-monkey said:

agreed. part of it is that things like SARS or ebola always were "not happening here" problems. If sars had gotten a foothold here i imagine response would have been more experienced.

Yeah this thing is with things like Haemorrhagic fevers/Filovirus like Ebola, Lassa or Marburg is as a rule they burn pretty hot very quickly. The illness passes very quickly from host to host next thing you know everyone in the village dies pretty quickly and like a fire consuming oxygen too quickly in a semi enclosed space it snuffs itself out by it’s own success.  

I think it was the Reston Ebola breakout in the late 80’s early 90s that had a somewhat slower burn but had shown signs of aerosol transfer. Memory is a bit sketchy as to why they thought so but it was later proven not to be the case. That really started to freak guys who know what they are talking about out as even though it turned out to not be a human pathogen with a small jump and aerosol transfer it could be very bad.

Anyway with things like beer virus its slow burn is one thing the other is the apparent ability of the transfer whilst not displaying symptoms. From my limited understanding of it (Covid19) specifically this spread is quite low by people who present as asymptomatic and is generally moved about by people who are already sick. I would bet my left nut if this virus made you bleed from your eyes or sneeze blood along with other flu like symptoms IE a very visual que the world and our leadership would have been all over it much quicker. You can’t have people at Hairdressers sneezing blood everywhere can you but you have them sneezing an invisible pathogen no worries because people wont freak out at what they can’t see…       

2 hours ago, wilson59 said:

In most of your post you always mention these economic climate etc etc so it is obvious you think about this a lot .

Take a break from forums it will be better for your mental health surround yourself with positive thinking people . Call me anytime I can see light at the end of this dim tunnel .

Cheers mate. On reflection, I was just having a sooky rant about the unknown. You're right, I do think about finances far too often, as its always been instilled into me to be a provider.

Stopping reading about this shit in 3, 2, 1

49 minutes ago, deano said:

gosh, sorry fellas, look away, thread diversion warning.

I've got an unopened DF95 in the box my mrs doesnt know about yet.

( I went to Bunna's a month ago, and dropped past the local sanctuary. 3 grotty yachties where having a blast doing their own RC regatta, so I said g'day as you do.

Next minute, one hands the  remote over ( he needed a slash), and I was hooked again. It was blowing around 25-30 knts, the thing was a submarine most of the time. So I went online, and ordered from Hobby warehouse. Its under a few bags in the garage.

Currently I am building an Emma, trad double ended, plywood hard chine yacht from plans from bearospace industries. They look to sail well.

I have a few scratch built rc boats that are 'too good' to use because I get carried away, they are named after my kids.

I said to mrs, it was time she had a boat named after her ( as an excuse/primer to say i'm building another one).

I said I just wanted something 'simple,no nonsense, gets the job done, a bit of a knockabout, but looks nice', and just missed a kick to the cobblers.

Have made a 1M trimaran, model 65 Alden schooner, Volvo 60,

I've ended up with A - D rigs for the 95, 25-30kts would be D rig weather I reckon!!  All quite cheap compared to IOM prices, and the standard HWH / factory sails are more than adequate I reckon.  Good resources on the https://dfracing.world/ site.  Enjoy the build and enjoy sailing.  Building from scratch is a something I'd like to do, but haven't the time, even during CV lockdown - doing 4 days WFH and 1 day on site, so still working I'm afraid 😞 

Also have A1 and A-D rigs on the 65, but if the 95 was available first, I wouldn't have bothered with the 65.....

Some good news - we've transitioned all our work to online today, and although we've lost about 10% of it, provided it holds around that level it should be enough to keep everyone in a job. Obviously as the economy deteriorates further things may change, but for the moment at least, we're doing everything we can to keep our people working.

Bad news - average age of our team is 26 and we're at 6 partners (of our team members) who've already been retrenched this week.

1 hour ago, LeeM said:

Cheers mate. On reflection, I was just having a sooky rant about the unknown. You're right, I do think about finances far too often, as its always been instilled into me to be a provider.

Stopping reading about this shit in 3, 2, 1

We’ll get through- things will be tight- kind of what our grandparents did in the blitz etc. we will adapt.

The mines in Qld (and elsewhere from what I hear) are all going business as usual. Some new protocols to limit transmission etc.  Biggest issue has been managing the camps where a thousand or so people congregate for meals etc then disperse to a myriad of sites.  Camps now doing 100% take aways, no dining room.  Some are pre-packing lunches so you don't  have the usual grubby hands all over the salad bar etc.

Some have temp checks at start of shift.  Isolation protocols etc for on & offsite.  Pretty well oiled to be honest.  My employees are currently staying on roster and travelling to site, but we're preparing for remote working.  Maybe site visits once a month.  Technology has been fantastic in enabling some of this.  I can site in my home office watching trucks cycle around and look at drone photography and surveys taken by personnel at site.  If only CASA didn't require line of sight, we could probably fly the drones from the comfort of our living room to get the information needed at times.

5 hours ago, flamingporsche said:

The mines in Qld (and elsewhere from what I hear) are all going business as usual. Some new protocols to limit transmission etc.  Biggest issue has been managing the camps where a thousand or so people congregate for meals etc then disperse to a myriad of sites.  Camps now doing 100% take aways, no dining room.  Some are pre-packing lunches so you don't  have the usual grubby hands all over the salad bar etc.

Some have temp checks at start of shift.  Isolation protocols etc for on & offsite.  Pretty well oiled to be honest.  My employees are currently staying on roster and travelling to site, but we're preparing for remote working.  Maybe site visits once a month.  Technology has been fantastic in enabling some of this.  I can site in my home office watching trucks cycle around and look at drone photography and surveys taken by personnel at site.  If only CASA didn't require line of sight, we could probably fly the drones from the comfort of our living room to get the information needed at times.

Any job vacancies? 😗

There’s a few... I’m always hit up for a truckie job but that’s not really my thing. 
Try out any of the labour hire mobs - OneKey, Workpac, GPS, Skilled, amongst others. Or direct on BHP, Glencore, Peabody etc websites. Look for ‘new to industry’ or greenie jobs

3E809C5C-55C2-4858-A979-FFC278BC34FA.jpeg

If you’re not hard up for cashflow and you have a vehicle that needs service or repair, might be a good time to ring your favourite local guy and book it in.  We all have $$$ hungry spare vehicles, so think about that clutch/IMS/alignment/AC repair/paint detail/new tyres/suspension upgrade/whatever.  Easy to forget about these things and then wonder why ‘my guy’ shut up shop and went permanantly fishing when we need them 6 months down the track.

This needs to start killing people, pronto.. either the stupid, or at least to scare the stupid into being sensible.

the stupidity from the general public has been amazing, I’m just about cheering for the virus now.

just today:

-people walking in to waiting room ignoring the signs to wait outside.

- old guy leaning over the counter to talk to the nurses rather than stay 1m from counter despite this being clearly signed.

- at least two clients have come in with 2-3 kids with them; walking around touching everything. Parent not doing anything to stop them. Told them to wait outside.

- we are supposed to be seeing emergencies only; people still coming in for trivial bullshit 

fuck it. They deserve this. We are doomed as a society 

On 25/03/2020 at 10:28, deano said:

Just bought myself a Multiplex glider to get back into flying and enjoy the physical distancing (did you see what I did to create a thread nexus?).  Currently hunting through boxes to find a motor, rx, servos etc.

20 minutes ago, Peter M said:

Just bought myself a Multiplex glider to get back into flying and enjoy the physical distancing (did you see what I did to create a thread nexus?).  Currently hunting through boxes to find a motor, rx, servos etc.

Multiplex stuff is good, but I can also recommend the Parkzone Radian as far as electric gliders.  Multiplex Twinstar is also a great deal of fun as a "normal" R/C plane. Brushed 400s were great, but imagine what it would be like with brushless!!!

22 minutes ago, hugh said:

This threads really got scary now..............RC cars and model planes, model trains next? Kill me now! This is what not going outside does to you!!!! :lol:;)

Just old hobbies resurfacing Hugh 🙂  Ones that we no longer have time to do after getting involved with Porsches!!!   I've also got one of the Tamiya Anniversary re-releases of the R/C Jaegermeister 934 to put together, and the smaller 996.1GT3 model kit to build as a proper replica of the LHD GT3 I owned.  Unfortunately still to busy with real work to be able to do any of this 😞 

Well some good news (sort of).

I've have a small private super fund ( MLC ) that is basically used to fund my daughters education (plus to fund any news toys I might come across but don't tell her that 😁 ) and I have lost $20k in 2 weeks.

For the first time it went up today , only by $2k but hey it's a start.

Is it a sign the market has started to recover? Who knows.

Maybe someone in the industry can give their opinion as I am no financial adviser that is for sure.

Stop Foreign Ownership (an extract)

So that’s why the shelves are empty The entire accounts department, contract managers, the human resources team and even receptionists were sent on a mission to find bulk supplies of surgical masks, thermometers, antibacterial wipes, hand sanitisers, gloves and Panadol to send back to China 

According to a company newsletter, the Greenland Group sourced 3 million protective masks, 700,000 hazmat suits and 500,000 pairs of protective gloves from "Australia, Canada, Turkey and other countries."

The newsletter also said, "Greenland Group Australia also organized the manpower and material resources to urgently purchase medical supplies such as masks, protective clothing and goggles in major Australian cities."

As the coronavirus took hold in Wuhan earlier this year, staff from the Chinese government-backed global property giant Greenland Group were instructed to put their normal work on hold and source bulk supplies of essential medical items to ship back to China.

A whistleblower from the company has told the Herald it was a worldwide Greenland effort - and the Sydney office was no different, sourcing bulk supplies of surgical masks, thermometers, antibacterial wipes, hand sanitisers, gloves and Panadol for shipping.

The company even posted its efforts of packing pallets in the company’s Sydney headquarters on social media.

"Basically all employees, the majority of whom are Chinese, were asked to source whatever medical supplies they could," one company insider told the Herald. This exercise went on for weeks through January and February, he said.

The entire accounts department, contract managers, the human resources team and even receptionists were sent on a mission to find bulk supplies of surgical masks, thermometers, antibacterial wipes, hand sanitisers, gloves and Panadol.

There were numerous requests from the HR manager and even our direct reporting line [which] prioritised the assisting of the company in gathering these supplies over other work activities," said the source. The entire accounts department were absent for days as they were out purchasing supplies, he said.

In a statement to the Herald, the Greenland Group confirmed the shipment of medical supplies in January and February saying it "felt compelled ... to assist in efforts to mitigate the spread of the virus, which had caused a shortage of crucial medical supplies in China."

Greenland Australia supported the group's initiative "by arranging for medical supplies to be dispatched to China, which at that time, was the epicentre of the outbreak," the statement said.

The boardroom and meeting rooms of Greenland’s headquarters in Market Street were used to repack the medical items into boxes stamped with the company’s logo. Pallet-loads of the medical supplies were then sent to China.

@clutch-monkey My missus saw some neanderthal druggo feral breast feeding her kid as she walked around Kmart yesterday. Then later feeding it a bowl of whatever in the shopping centre foyer. She was told to move on because of the virus threat, yet told the security guy to f..k off

Ya gotta wonder why these excuse for humans exist

8 minutes ago, LeeM said:

@clutch-monkey My missus saw some neanderthal druggo feral breast feeding her kid as she walked around Kmart yesterday. Then later feeding it a bowl of whatever in the shopping centre foyer. She was told to move on because of the virus threat, yet told the security guy to f..k off

Ya gotta wonder why these excuse for humans exist

Well, maybe not for much longer..haha

But I agree I don’t know if they don’t know, or if they just don’t care, but their behaviour is going to drag us with them..

one of my staff is elderly and just getting over a diaphragmatic hernia, another has a partner who is missing a lung lobe.. it’s disastrous if they contract it.

this was my proposal to HR but it was denied lol

92723834-8DED-4059-A94B-65A575C1FBE9.jpeg