Where did you drive your Porsche today?

Airhead

Took my 997 Turbo to Winton yesterday and had an absolute whale of a time.  Constantly amazed by Porsche cars.  Drove mine to Winton loaded with everything I needed - fuel canisters, racing gear, chair for the garage etc. Then drove it home after 6 hours of thrashing like it was nothing.  Car never missed a beat whatever I asked it to do.  Nobody makes cars like Porsche.  A privilege to own and drive!

4 hours ago, lazydave said:

Took my 997 Turbo to Winton yesterday and had an absolute whale of a time.  Constantly amazed by Porsche cars.  Drove mine to Winton loaded with everything I needed - fuel canisters, racing gear, chair for the garage etc. Then drove it home after 6 hours of thrashing like it was nothing.  Car never missed a beat whatever I asked it to do.  Nobody makes cars like Porsche.  A privilege to own and drive!

Sounds like @lazydave is more like @actiondave!! Noice!!

Just got back from a few days in the Barossa with the annual 356 Register Gathering of the Faithful event. Did 1118 miles door to door from Sat till tonight. Little gem of a car didn't miss a beat (although got a little hot around Mildura on Sat) and averaged just over 6.5litres per 100 ks.

A few of the 25 cars here at Birdwood Museum on Monday.

yT9Nh4N.jpg

Lunch at Lambert's Restaurant/Winery.

Dz3HrNi.jpg

Heading out from the Novatel Barossa.

ihqdCLm.jpg

Star of the group was this 1952 orig RHD Pre A bent screen car.

HXom09A.jpg

More here if you are on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/Australian-Porsche-356-Register-295497940831729/

Mid week triple treat * 2.

Reefton Spur, Eildon-Jamieson Rd and Mt Buller - overnight on the mountain then return the same way with a quick side trip to Lake Mountain on the return.

Everyone local knows and enjoys the Reefton Spur, but I decided to link up a few more twisty roads and make it an overnighter. So 30 minutes cruise from Marysville is the start of the Eildon Jamieson road ~50km of challenging tarmac turns. Many signed and unsigned 30 - 35km/hr corners interspersed with flowing corners and straights. Midweek meant very little traffic. Fair amount of leaf litter in places due to the limited traffic, but none causing issues on four wheels. 

Mt Buller was a little disappointing with the 60km/hr limit and many sections of loose gravel left over from repair patches in preparation from the Winter traffic so when I repeat the drive I will stay around Jamieson and squeeze in an extra lap or two of the Eildon Jamieson road instead.

2unvcia.jpg

Totals for the drive:

Distance - 720km

Wildlife - 3  Wallabies sighted outbound mid afternoon on the Eildon Jamieson rd all avoided.

Mobile Speed cameras - 2 sighted.  Merrijig outbound and Eildon Jamieson rd west of Taponga River on a straighter section on the return (looked like the same Holden wagon) both spotted nice and early so also avoided.

Favourite section of road is still Marysville to Lake Mountain with its fast flowing corners. Had a clear run up the hill yesterday!

On 28/04/2018 at 1:34 PM, Dalai said:

Reefton Spur, Eildon-Jamieson Rd and Mt Buller - overnight on the mountain then return the same way with a quick side trip to Lake Mountain on the return.

Everyone local knows and enjoys the Reefton Spur, but I decided to link up a few more twisty roads and make it an overnighter. So 30 minutes cruise from Marysville is the start of the Eildon Jamieson road ~50km of challenging tarmac turns. Many signed and unsigned 30 - 35km/hr corners interspersed with flowing corners and straights. Midweek meant very little traffic. Fair amount of leaf litter in places due to the limited traffic, but none causing issues on four wheels. 

Mt Buller was a little disappointing with the 60km/hr limit and many sections of loose gravel left over from repair patches in preparation from the Winter traffic so when I repeat the drive I will stay around Jamieson and squeeze in an extra lap or two of the Eildon Jamieson road instead.

2unvcia.jpg

Totals for the drive:

Distance - 720km

Wildlife - 3  Wallabies sighted outbound mid afternoon on the Eildon Jamieson rd all avoided.

Mobile Speed cameras - 2 sighted.  Merrijig outbound and Eildon Jamieson rd west of Taponga River on a straighter section on the return (looked like the same Holden wagon) both spotted nice and early so also avoided.

Favourite section of road is still Marysville to Lake Mountain with its fast flowing corners. Had a clear run up the hill yesterday!

Sounds like a great run. have to agree the section going UP Lake Mountain from Marysville is killer!

On 4/28/2018 at 1:34 PM, Dalai said:

2unvcia.jpg

Totals for the drive:

Distance - 720km

Epic little mid-weeker, love it. I think I might need to try and do the overnighter myself one time soon. 

I did the normal SMT route yesterday morning with my wife as co-driver. Great uninterrupted run, barely any traffic in either direction, dry roads, felt like I was on rails. One of those drives where you can't wipe the smile from your face and you fall in love that little bit more.

Marysville for the customary meat pie and a coffee for breaky, we were greeted by a group of cars who call themselves Melbourne Milgia or something... anyway, awesome little collection of cars, loved that Carrera 3.0 and the E9 (dream garage for me right there).

Final stop at Punt Rd Winery to stock up on some wines and take advantage of their epic driveway.

27920766638_11d612d838_b.jpg

39981660900_f12842cd08_b.jpg

41071911804_f9355772f2_b.jpg

41071914744_ed68c24895_b.jpg

27920772318_665a040800_b.jpg

41071919274_d66b3a877c_b.jpg

27920927868_89a40660b1_b.jpg

2 hours ago, poli84 said:

Epic little mid-weeker, love it. I think I might need to try and do the overnighter myself one time soon. 

I did the normal SMT route yesterday morning with my wife as co-driver. Great uninterrupted run, barely any traffic in either direction, dry roads, felt like I was on rails. One of those drives where you can't wipe the smile from your face and you fall in love that little bit more.

Marysville for the customary meat pie and a coffee for breaky, we were greeted by a group of cars who call themselves Melbourne Milgia or something... anyway, awesome little collection of cars, loved that Carrera 3.0 and the E9 (dream garage for me right there).

Final stop at Punt Rd Winery to stock up on some wines and take advantage of their epic driveway.

27920766638_11d612d838_b.jpg

39981660900_f12842cd08_b.jpg

41071911804_f9355772f2_b.jpg

41071914744_ed68c24895_b.jpg

27920772318_665a040800_b.jpg

41071919274_d66b3a877c_b.jpg

27920927868_89a40660b1_b.jpg

Oh that BMW! Love the 3.0 CSI

25 minutes ago, Andy73 said:

Oh that BMW! Love the 3.0 CSI

I had the opportunity to buy a really nice example for $35k from a guy who comes into work. Took it for the test drive, etc but it was too soon after buying the 964 and i couldn't get the cash together. Then sat too long on a NZ car last year, by the time I free'd up the money it was sold. Now I feel the ship has sailed for a sub 50k E9 that is not a complete rust bucket. I'm really sad about that as they are the prettiest car of all time in my mind and I would love to own one.

Not sure if this was a real CSL or just a CSI (or even a CS). It had the rear badge and the CSL striping, Alpina wheels, etc. It was gorgeous.

39984466560_fbfec4859b_b.jpg

41791635151_5bef4aacc0_b.jpg

1 hour ago, poli84 said:

I had the opportunity to buy a really nice example for $35k from a guy who comes into work. Took it for the test drive, etc but it was too soon after buying the 964 and i couldn't get the cash together. Then sat too long on a NZ car last year, by the time I free'd up the money it was sold. Now I feel the ship has sailed for a sub 50k E9 that is not a complete rust bucket. I'm really sad about that as they are the prettiest car of all time in my mind and I would love to own one.

Not sure if this was a real CSL or just a CSI (or even a CS). It had the rear badge and the CSL striping, Alpina wheels, etc. It was gorgeous.

39984466560_fbfec4859b_b.jpg

41791635151_5bef4aacc0_b.jpg

Yes there was definitely a moment where they were affordable but you just knew prices were going to start going north eventually.

4 hours ago, poli84 said:

4 hours ago, Peter John said:

Cracker! I'm toying with an overnight stay midweek too. So much better with no traffic- therapy! Thanks for sharing!

That's a great idea! Who else would be onboard for a weekday meet up and drive. Not having to battle Sunday traffic after a run would be awesome.

Something to consider.......

9 minutes ago, KG said:

That's a great idea! Who else would be onboard for a weekday meet up and drive. Not having to battle Sunday traffic after a run would be awesome.

Mid week is a great idea......maybe in, depending on the day(s)

12 minutes ago, KG said:

I'd be a "maybe". Planning a similar drive on a Friday at the back end of May.

7 minutes ago, Niko said:

Mid week is a great idea......maybe in, depending on the day(s)

5 minutes ago, Andy73 said:

I'd be a "maybe". Planning a similar drive on a Friday at the back end of May.

1 minute ago, Peter John said:

I'm flexible maybe a thursday friday?

I'm back in Melbourne 2nd week of May. I'll reach out then to see who's up for it. Looking at these pics and having been spoilt at the Luftgekuhltlast last weekend, I'm itching to get out!

2 minutes ago, KG said:

I'm back in Melbourne 2nd week of May. I'll reach out then to see who's up for it. Looking at these pics and having been spoilt at the Luftgekuhltlast last weekend, I'm itching to get out!

Weather has been great for it- fresh mornings clear and warm days.

On 28/04/2018 at 1:34 PM, Dalai said:

Thats a bummer. The road up buller is usually very fun and cruisy at the same time. The 60kmh limit up the hill is mainly for winter