Cayman GT4 RS

Grimmy

10 minutes ago, cafe_racer said:

Picked up the car Saturday from Porsche Doncaster, excellent delivery and new car experience.  I did some big run in k's over sunday/monday so that I could get the car to 9k rpm.  Nothing like a long drive up the Hume to get to know a car.  Coming from a lotus and some older 911's this seemed like spacious luxury on the fwy!

First session out I was doing 1:46's and got a couple of seconds off that throughout the day as I got used to the car, it has a lot more to give than I was able to do today.  Turn in was precise, sound was excellent.  A few tweaks to make with setup (needs more camber in the front and some toe in on the rear).  But aside from being quick it was also extremely fun to drive and felt very approachable at limits on some of the slower corners.  I kept traction fully on today, however look forwards to making some setup changes and getting traction off with this in future.  It squirmed a bit under braking, however the computers did a good job of making me feel like I was a better driver than I am.  Just need to get a harness put in now.  Next is Challenge Bathurst later this month.

k3z0kJl.jpeg

3nyZjT5.jpg

It looks amazing Chris & great to see it being driven as intended straight away. Also I’d be surprised if you’d been able to sleep much over the last week.

I'm not sure it needs a lot more from me as Chris summed it up pretty well. It's a brilliant car - it's fantastic on the roads and the track (albiet it needs a better track alignment). If you put some Trofeo R's or the new Cup2 R's on I expect it would be mind blowing on track.

As it is I was still short shifting mine (using 7th down the straight, short shifting through 11, 12 and running gears up through many corners), I was conservatively slower through T1, T12 than I am in my 981 GT4 still, but still did a high 1.44 which is quicker than the old GT4 ever was which was running much better rubber. I also ran the whole day changing gears with the stick as a sequential shifter - was so much more fun than using the paddles - I loved it!

It's hard really to put the car in to words but my best way to say it so far is "It's not disappointing".

13 hours ago, Snowman said:

I'm not sure it needs a lot more from me as Chris summed it up pretty well. It's a brilliant car - it's fantastic on the roads and the track (albiet it needs a better track alignment). If you put some Trofeo R's or the new Cup2 R's on I expect it would be mind blowing on track.

As it is I was still short shifting mine (using 7th down the straight, short shifting through 11, 12 and running gears up through many corners), I was conservatively slower through T1, T12 than I am in my 981 GT4 still, but still did a high 1.44 which is quicker than the old GT4 ever was which was running much better rubber. I also ran the whole day changing gears with the stick as a sequential shifter - was so much more fun than using the paddles - I loved it!

It's hard really to put the car in to words but my best way to say it so far is "It's not disappointing".

Great read!

Just collected my new car. Very excited! I have taken it straight down to get PPF. Then I will try and clock up the 1500km quickly to wear the engine in. After that, straight to "the bend" to see what she has got! I really like the silver and black combo I went for. The car looks a lot better in the flesh, then in photos. Minimal experience driving the car thus far, however look forward to talking/writing about it and also comparing to the GT4, which I previously owned.

IMG_1462.jpg

IMG_1461.jpg

IMG_1460.jpg

IMG_1459.jpg

11 hours ago, wirthO said:

Just collected my new car. Very excited! I have taken it straight down to get PPF. Then I will try and clock up the 1500km quickly to wear the engine in. After that, straight to "the bend" to see what she has got! I really like the silver and black combo I went for. The car looks a lot better in the flesh, then in photos. Minimal experience driving the car thus far, however look forward to talking/writing about it and also comparing to the GT4, which I previously owned.

IMG_1462.jpg

IMG_1461.jpg

IMG_1460.jpg

IMG_1459.jpg

Nice, very understated colour combo.  Sometimes it can pay not to stand out too much 😉 

11 hours ago, wirthO said:

IMG_1462.jpg

Definitely my pick for colour combo also having a GT Silver Cayman! I agree a more subtle colour but the contrasting sliver with black looks perfect. 

2 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Sometimes it can pay not to stand out too much 😉 

The spoiler kind of does it for you regardless. It definitely isn't small.

1 hour ago, edgy said:

Wow that looks really good, congrats @wirthO :D 

Agree, but also think the colour (or lack of lol) really works with the lines of this car...  

There are few combinations I've seen that don't work. They all look decent to my eyes.

14 hours ago, wirthO said:

IMG_1462.jpg

IMG_1461.jpg

IMG_1460.jpg

IMG_1459.jpg

I think your car is keeping my car company at the moment. Congratulations 

1 hour ago, MFX said:

Where are the colours...? Has someone ordered one in something interesting?

These cars scream out to be painted in something fun :D

Go to the configurator.  Shows standard and optional colours

A7841E7A-6704-4153-9117-417D463C62AC.thumb.png.22233a27a929915a87a2b4c2b8ccd684.png

There’s a long list of colours if you cough up for Paint to Sample circa $20k

8733DEFD-8CD1-4629-B3D7-0FA35CE685FB.png

A06DE6AA-E030-4950-85FF-A68CF93FE379.png

2 minutes ago, sleazius said:

I agree - I'd be tempted to do one in Ruby Star Neo now that it is standard. If not, racing yellow.

“special” colour, $6070 more than standard colours 

Mr JWW wasn’t keen and repainted it

1 minute ago, DJM said:

“special” colour, $6070 more than standard colours 

Mr JWW wasn’t keen and repainted it

To be fair he probably only did that for click bait views.

~$6000 better than $48k or whatever it works out to with Weissach + Approved PTS. PTS plus is $28k vs $18k so $58k to get something historic that isn't on the approved list. Nuts.

I wouldn't kick this out of my garage...

178101952_olympicblue.thumb.jpg.3992e163cb3c6422f036e7a62fb9cd5e.jpg

1 hour ago, sleazius said:

To be fair he probably only did that for click bait views.

~$6000 better than $48k or whatever it works out to with Weissach + Approved PTS. PTS plus is $28k vs $18k so $58k to get something historic that isn't on the approved list. Nuts.

I wouldn't kick this out of my garage...

178101952_olympicblue.thumb.jpg.3992e163cb3c6422f036e7a62fb9cd5e.jpg

I find PTS to be just plain crazy pricing - couldn’t do it.  Arctic Grey on blue wheels will have to do 🤷‍♂️

I am seriously considering an approved PTS colour for my 4RS if only because the standard colour options are all pretty ho hum. I love Ruby Star...but only on wingless 911s. In fact a Ruby Star 964 RS is one of Porsche's all time greats. But it doesn't suit a GT car IMHO.

My three colour choices are:

Pastel Orangeimage.thumb.png.05aa49aaa0665c5069879e27409bea62.png

Signal Yellowimage.thumb.png.0af92ce285f371c63143eb8142e2c385.png

Pure Green

image.thumb.png.1a61e143a09042bd23b47e8d06eaa4c0.png