Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

This certainly is an interesting proposition. Assume it is a LHD convert at that price but either way, certainly a good $15-$20k to what they have been selling for.

Beware, I was totally screwed over by these people tonight re the 86 Targa in Perth on Gumtree for $40K.  They totally reneged on the deal.

I spoke to them during the day to confirm some details and drove through 1.5hrs of peak hour traffic tonight after work to inspect the car and do the deal.  The car was a bit rough around the edges however it drove OK and I thought $40k was fair enough for its condition. We agreed on the $40K pending a PPI tomorrow night (at their house), shook hands with both husband and wife and they agreed and gave me their word to take it off the market. I went inside and they started making me coffee in the kitchen and we were about to write up a receipt of agreement. To save time I said while they did that I would drive to the nearest servo and get $1K deposit for them. On the way back from the servo they rang me and said they have been offered significantly more over the phone.  I returned to their place $1K in hand and they reneged on the deal and said due to the stress of so many phone calls they are taking the car off the market. I expressed my total disappointment of them going back on their world and their gentleman's hand shake, but there was not much I could do about it.

My inspection:

It's a UK personal import, imported in 1994. The targa top whistles very loudly above 40km/hr and needs new rubbers and reupholstering. There were two rust spots evident on the car, one below the front window/front windscreen wiper cowl panel, and one on the bottom of the passenger door.  There was also minor bubbling over the passenger rear guard as well.  Interior was missing a few buttons here and there on the dash such as the vent buttons. The engine bay was very dirty and neglected.  It has 17" replica Fuchs (Rota Fox).  It appears the car was resprayed during its life but in the original colour of black. The 915 gearbox felt pretty sloppy but I'm used to a G50 so it's probably normal.

It has the original UK logbook and stamps in the UK up until 1994 when it was a personal import to Australia. Receipts in the logbook continued in Australia including many Ktek services in Perth. What I couldn't work out was the low odo km's. The stamps in the log book seemed to flow (both in the UK and AUS) to match up with the ODO, but this isn't reflected in the rough condition of the car.  I've seen posts above about a speedo swap with a 930 but not sure how this fits in with the stamps in the book.

Anyway, I'm just disappointed that people's word and handshake isn't what it used to be. And for wasting a better part of half of my day and night.  

Might still be a value proposition. I went to buy an 82turbo last year. It was mid way through the PPI on the mechanics hoist when I get a call saying he'd sold it to someone else. Asked him to pay for the PPI, politely told him I had better things to do with my time as did the mechanics.  What can you do 

Edited by michel

This type of uneithical behaviour is creeping in to every day life , gone are the days of a deal done with a beer and hankshake are long gone.  

So true unfortunately.  I'm a man of my word and naively assume that others are too at times I guess.

Edited by Diamond911

2 - 0 to people who take deposits and I dont get the cars ..

My last journey was after an owner taking a 10k Deposit and the other the most famous of them all the Minerva Blue turbo ..that guys got the most stories and dance moves than anyone I know.  He sold that car to 5 owners at one point .

I have also dealt with high up members of the P-Car club and also someone who I eventually tracked on Linked- in as a Vice presdent of a large company who stiffed me. 

Wallet mayhem leaves little space for respectfull business in  Pcar business transactions  and we used to think the used car dealers were sharks…..

It's not nice and nobody wants this to happen to them, but unfortunately this is human nature.

When it's a buyers market it is also quite common for buyers to screw sellers around too.

I do not know about human nature banger I think it is always your choice to be a prick in these things

Edited by tomo

When it's a buyers market it is also quite common for buyers to screw sellers around too.

I think the buyers market is pulling into the station for a little rest , along with the gravy train.

Maybe we should all come back to sticking to our guns , value our money and stop bidding on cars sight unseen.

I certainly have stopped , missed a few deals but there you go..Im sure i have saved mself a lot of drama , if you cant trust em with your money , how can you trust what they say about the car ??

But the new owner may find some $ surprises. Rust under windscreen ain't good.

From what I have seen on a couple of cars I have looked at, rust on the scuttle (?) below the windscreen can mean rust at the bottom of the A pillars behind the carpet where it meets the sills, and also on the floor behind the pedals.

Always check those areas when looking at these cars, so pull up the carpet 

yep, this was my exact perspective waking up this morning. 

Its been said many times before, your not buying the car - your buying the owner. If you can determine who has been looking after the car (even better if they are a reputable shop) you can pretty quickly qualify the car and owner. 

Not everyone is out to do the wrong thing, people can just get greedy and make bad judgement as a result. Its a shame but I guess some people need the money more than others and some people can afford to give it away..................I'm sure another one will come along Diamond - hang in there! 

I don't like to be gazumped either, but I have no problem with offering a seller more than the other guy if it is still a good deal for me, and then I do my best to wrap the deal up as soon as I can.

For me if I am selling, when I have a deposit in my hand then I consider what I am selling is off the market, and I have not accepted better offers in the past because of it.

2005 996 Turbo S with 13,550 klms for $140K

IF 996tt's are ever going to be worth anything this is the one to have if  the difference between an S and non-S in a 993 is to go by.

@smit2100 Not sure if you have any data/vibes on these trading hands...last I recall was the white one about 18 months - 2 years ago....

If I were shopping I'd be seriously looking at this car.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/_/SSE-AD-3917650?WT.seg_4

cp5230928322485801247.jpg?aspect=FitWith

Edited by TrevMcRev