Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

only for the chumps who've not driven one  . Good Sporto are good drivers 

mmm

someone about to put a sporto on the market ? ;) 

12K TOP END REBUILD, wonder why with low Klms ?

only 12k put on it since the slant nose conversion. Been sitting in a garage waiting for Magnus to buy one to make it cool enough  to take out ;) 

mmm

someone about to put a sporto on the market ? ;)  

nope but am a 5 spd ... liking the Sporto too much ..

perhaos the lesser educated gent troubled with a conversion. But we are talking along while back,  hair gel  had just fell foul of fashion 

Edited by michel

I've been told by an owner that a sporto is a great thing to drive, yet he converted it when the box pooped itself, as it was cheaper to stick a manual in there than have the sporto rebuilt

I get more equiries on my sporto than my other cars. Good original examples are now hard to find. From cult to very wanted. Don't underestimate. Just saying 

So true... my very original Jap 1980 SC sporto that i sold last year to a guy in Holland is undergoing a full resto (he keeps on sending me photos) it was well sorted & just brilliant to drive

2005 996 Turbo S with 13,550 klms for $140K

IF 996tt's are ever going to be worth anything this is the one to have if  the difference between an S and non-S in a 993 is to go by.

@smit2100 Not sure if you have any data/vibes on these trading hands...last I recall was the white one about 18 months - 2 years ago....

If I were shopping I'd be seriously looking at this car.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/_/SSE-AD-3917650?WT.seg_4

cp5230928322485801247.jpg?aspect=FitWith

THE WEIRD AND WONDERFUL WORLD OF PORSCHE BUYING AND SELLING!

Ok Guys I've been reading a bit in the last few pages about agreed purchase prices and deposits paid , deals done etc and being gazumped or seller pulling out for the next highest payer etc...with bad manners and bad vibes all 'round...I'm sure we all like some clarification on actual sales processes and clarity on the sale of what's on the market, Dutch auctions, and previous sales etc....I know if the right car for me is put up for sale, to pounce on it and arm myself to the teeth with the 10% cash deposit, a PPSR, do my research re options and details, and head off with my laptop and proof of my available funds for the bank cheque and be prepared to drive it home on the spot if necessary. This is what it takes to secure a purchase if its a good collector and a good bargain price.... Here's my Long Story Short, of trying to buy this Turbo S above.

Turbo S pops up at "Priced for quick sale $140,000" on car sales and I phone him (no answer leave message) 3/4 hour after it comes on at 6pm. Tell him "I'm keen, ready for immediate purchase, funds ready, only half hour from you call me back with VIN?, Aust Del? Service and car history? No reply, call him 1 hour later 3 times phone cuts off immediately, send him text with full position of ready to purchase etc etc and text delivery failed - He has blocked my number I guess. Phone him from home phone, Wife?? answers and says yes trouble with phone, someone looking in half hour if doesn't buy will ring me. I tell her my strong position to inspect and buy immediately and ask to pass it on.

Ring again from home phone 10 min later with one more question and seller answers....we chat he verifies it's perfect, Aust Del, all books, no finance but father has "lean??" on the car not a problem, had a million calls, someone looking in 10 mins - I get straight to the point offer $150,000 (knowing this is an extremely fantastic price for a perfect 13,000klm Turbo S) $15,000 cash deposit immediately and maybe a PPI or maybe not depending when I inspect the car and he tells me "I am straightforward like him, don't mess around like he doesn't, deal is a deal, word is good etc etc car is mine immediately come anytime tonight or morning" I say will come now and ask him about lighting (would be almost dark when I got there in half hour) says car is in friend's factory, no power no lights, tell him cant buy car in the dark he says come in morning I tell him 6.30am agreed! Rings me back 8.30pm says was offered $160,000 by person who came and looked, but didn't sell it and that is now the price he is thinking - I say will still come and we agree at 10.30am.

Arrive, factory is quite dark, look over car, start it up, it is entirely near on perfect, Without discussing price mention to him off the cuff, I can pay 10% cash deposit on the spot, go to CBA get bankcheque immediately and drive car away no RWC and no PPI and I show him the $15000 in my pocket and a photo of my bank account and the available funds. Further inspection noted drivers seat has more wear on it than a 13000klm car, compressor missing, front wheels unroadworthy  rims poke out past guard, needs windscreen). Then the crunch(s)!! Let's see service books "Oh I discovered last night they aren't in car must have been left at dealer on last service" I show no emotion but tell him I cant buy car today with no books. He says "Yeah Duttons came last night and offered $160,000 but it was left in limbo because of the books"....Says further "oh that's fine anyway I have a hundred calls guys offering me $170,000 on phone will fly down etc etc and that is the price", I ignore that. He says I (meaning me) can get printout from PCBrighton of services, books are no big deal. Question him on history, he says has had one previous owner in SA and 3 services including brake fluid in SA and he himself has had one major service and brake fluid one year ago. Me thinks books were "supposedly" left at dealer one year back huh? good luck with getting them!!! 

Car is running, I'm still inspecting, he's still trying to sell me ....let's go for a drive? "Cant drive car I have no key for the roller door or the other car in front of it". I say I will then need PPI to buy it since I cant drive it or passenger in it and he says no to a PPI ...It's getting more unbuyable by the minute!! I tell him the PPSR report states 2 people (mum & Dad) and a solicitor are 3 parties noted as having total security over the car. He says no problem with that it's his parents. I tell him I would have to make 3 cheques out to the parents and solicitor equally as it stands, he says he'll get all their names off it today - hahahah I think, good luck with that within a week or 2. I ask who it is registered to and who actually owns it  and he cant decide if it's his company or him re reg or ownership...So who do I pay I ask him? He says him, I say no, not until the PPSR has no secured parties or I will pay them - he says he will fix that today, and he wasn't ready to sell it, it's only just been put on Carsales...I hide my frustration...

It's still quite an amicable conversation and I reiterate to him that I was ready to drive it away that morning and maybe I would pay $170000, maybe I wouldn't, and tell him that is a conversation for another day when he has the car "ready" to sell and everything in order to sign up an agreement on the spot!. Tell him so much for the "quick sale" and if he wants to sell it to me, once he has his house in order, please ring me (and or) I will be in contact in a few days. We part on good terms.

I drive away and the invisible Dutch auction is at $170,000 and no one person is actually the highest bidder, so the car has gone from 140,000 to 170,000....My excitement had abated for the moment...as I am well versed in the fact that the deal is never done til it's actually money and keys exchanged and a seller (and a buyer) can say or do whatever they want up until that point.

I look on Carsales today and it is "sold" Is it sold? Who knows....Oh well I cant make him sell it to me or fix a price, it's his car! Who paid what? Who was a fool and an idiot and major risk taker and handed $170k plus or minus, to a guy who doesn't lawfully own the car , that you cant see test driven , that has done 13000ks and NO SERVICE BOOKS ....Who knows? All I know is that I would not pay money in the hundreds of thousands to someone who doesn't own the vehicle...I've walked away....

Whoa!  Sounds like you kept your cool and played that well.  Shame to possibly miss out on what could have been a great car to own... Just all sounds too dodgy to part with those sort of $$$.  Interesting to get an insight to Dutton's buying too, thanks for sharing!

Whoa!  Sounds like you kept your cool and played that well.  Shame to possibly miss out on what could have been a great car to own... Just all sounds too dodgy to part with those sort of $$$.  Interesting to get an insight to Dutton's buying too, thanks for sharing!

Was definatly a great car and near on perfect, but just convoluted and hard for me to get it over the line...oh well

Sounds like you dodged a bullet there Sandy.

i thought the Duttons group also include sellmycar so they probably have a whole call centre ready to pounce on any "attractive" car as soon as listed.

There has been various discussion on the sales process, but if this car turned out to be all above board, why can't one take along a basic "contract of sale" rather then a massive fist full of $$.  The CoS could include free title and subject to PPI.  I'm no lawyer but I would have thought this would be more contest able then a handshake.

food for thought.  Maybe a lawyer type can add their $$$ of free advice B)

Edited by D-banger

Yes  You recall correctly, in FY2014 a white one heavily modified (kit, expensive rims etc, looked well done and well setup) that also had  a lot of stock parts to go with it as I recall was advertised for 125k and sold (don't think it was at that price because it did not go quickly as I would of expected).  With the benefit of hindsight, best value for money car in a 996 turbo guise I have come across in two years, (but s$%^  996 gt3's advertised on Porsche club Victoria site for 5 figures as well and WTB ads at 80k  budgets for a 996gt3 were  also posted around the same time)

In Nov 2015,  I was running the ruler over a black 996 tt S with the boxter red interior (salmon) that was a Queensland car (had some decent track times at Queensland raceway based  on some forensic doogling and I think the owner moved to Melbourne in later half of fy2015.  It had 22k on the odometer (advertised version was stock and very clean, (not sure if it was like that when it got some pretty good track times ) and the owner was looking to offload for to pick up a 996GT3 and it was advertised 137,500.       At the same time I was procrastinating on the 997.1 turbo seal grey with PCCB's  with 76k on the clock for 143,500 and forget about getting a  996tt to modify

Was leaning to the the 996TT S (only made in 2005 and not a lot of them globally and Mrs like the boxter red interior ) , had priced in the Suncoast prosche PCCB to steel brake kit and bubble wrap the PCCB disks and yes the K24's are laggy (also not keen on boost on coming in over 3500 to 4000rpms) with power curve to the right of the K16's (same turbo's as the X50 upgrade) and had priced in some K24 billets (USD 4.5k to bring the the power curve back to the left but more, a tune (upgraded turbo's definitely on paper are certain rod breakers if not tuned conservatively) and 997gt2rs intercoolers (would stop right their on mods) to get  turbo's spooling earlier way down the track when I would of got bored with it would be in order. Phoned the guy (don't leave messages with an oversees number, no one returns the call) didn't get through and it sold within a day or two of me trying to make the first call (It didn't sell at  the advertised price of 137.5k straight away). I was willing to depart with 130k to secure and turn a blind eye to over revs count figures.  I valued it as the best condition stock 996 tt looks wise based on photo's with the lowest genuine km's (collector condition) I had seen online  = 110k plus 20k for the S badge and PPCB discs brakes that would of collected dust on bottom shelve of my garage.   I would pay a 13Xk number for  the one advertised (would what stock rims (sporttech version as I recall) given where 997.1TT's appear to be, and all the other stuff in terms of 996tt advertised needs to drop considerably. Eg I think a 996TT S in terms of value sits between an immaculate 996tt with super low km's and your cheapest average conditioned  997.1 tt

I think the 996TT S cab at 160k (for sale for donkeys and changed dealers , i.e (from Wangarratta Motors (cashed up farmers trading in P's for Merc's  and then to Lorbek I recall.  Not surprised it didn't sell at that price given up in the 997.1tt buy range (have it on pretty good authority after putting in an offer on the 997.1tt that the Wangarra dealer had trouble offloading (at 180k advertised ) that ended up at  RSR (still scratching my head why the salesman ditched the 19" stock rims for Fuch's in an attempt to move it, but each to their own.

Regarding your middle 2 paragraphs Tony, I have to correct you on a few things. Re the Turbo S with the Boxster Red interior...Your "facts" and "forensic googling" and "price surmises" are incorrect. My friend brought the car. The car went on car sales at $137,500  and was taken off a day or 2 later -correct.
You mention "Track Times" and "Over revs count figures"....That's incorrect, and an extensive PPI from Melbourne proved that and no tracking. He paid well north of $160,000 but under $200,000 and it took him a month of patiently chasing and backing off with an owner who has plenty of $$$$ and numerous Porsches and was extremely busy with business to pin down to actually see the car, and who didn't seem too fussed when it would be sold. The owner who was selling it lives in QLD and works in Melbourne, back n forth on and off, and the car was in Melbourne. In conversation with the owner the price grew to $160,000 at the 2nd week ....Took him 3 weeks to actually get the first bit of evidence that the car actually even existed ....a photo of the Sticker in the books, and a photo of the windscreen VIN, along with a price rise again....and then a week later when he actually got to see the car and a test drive with it the price had risen again and he negotiated, walked away, another phonecall and discussion of details an hour later and he brought it. Anyways, hope the 996TT you were chasing, you PM'd me about, is as it was supposed to be now that you've seen it, and it's in your garage...

This type of uneithical behaviour is creeping in to every day life , gone are the days of a deal done with a beer and handshake are long gone.  

generally, all people are a-holes. a wise person once told me that when entering into any potential transaction assume that the other person is a big a-hole and is out to screw you. make that assumption and you won't be left looking like a fool.

2005 996 Turbo S with 13,550 klms for $140K

IF 996tt's are ever going to be worth anything this is the one to have if  the difference between an S and non-S in a 993 is to go by.

@smit2100 Not sure if you have any data/vibes on these trading hands...last I recall was the white one about 18 months - 2 years ago....

If I were shopping I'd be seriously looking at this car.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/_/SSE-AD-3917650?WT.seg_4

cp5230928322485801247.jpg?aspect=FitWith

that's a whole lot of car for $140k

So much doom and mistrust. Must be TRUMP ...

sold my 997tt to a lovely guy who was soon to inherit. Said it was his mothers dying wish that he get himself a turbo. 

A bit of sentimental positivity to take us into Saturday night?

If that doesn't do it for you picture Hughesy and Edgy driving their new purchases, as we speak, back from Melbourne (996c4s/997gt3).

smiling now??

Without discussing price mention to him off the cuff, I can pay 10% cash deposit on the spot, go to CBA get bankcheque immediately and drive car away no RWC and no PPI and I show him the $15000 in my pocket and a photo of my bank account and the available funds.

I look on Carsales today and it is "sold" Is it sold? Who knows....Oh well I cant make him sell it to me or fix a price, it's his car! Who paid what? Who was a fool and an idiot and major risk taker and handed $170k plus or minus, to a guy who doesn't lawfully own the car , that you cant see test driven , that has done 13000ks and NO SERVICE BOOKS ....Who knows? All I know is that I would not pay money in the hundreds of thousands to someone who doesn't own the vehicle...I've walked away....

Wow Sandy,

sounds like you dodged a bullet in more ways than one.  Walking (no running) was the smartest thing you could do.  In my line of work you get very suspicious of this kind of story where everything is convoluted & nothing is straight forward.  It beggars belief that a dealer would not hang on to the books to a luxury car if all was above board.

Can I say (respectfully) that you Porsche guys are mad going to look at a car in a warehouse with a large lump of cash in your pocket.  I know that it seems you need to nail down a bargain then & there but you need to make sure old mate (and some of his mates) aren't waiting to relieve you of your cash.  I have been to a few jobs like this in my time where the buyer has brought a deposit & woken up in hospital.  I'm sure you all know what your doing & I may sound like i'm talking through my arse but old mate sounded very dodgy.  I would at the very least get a mate or two to come with if you aren't meeting at an address.  Sorry to be a Grandma.

Wow Sandy,

sounds like you dodged a bullet in more ways than one.  Walking (no running) was the smartest thing you could do.  In my line of work you get very suspicious of this kind of story where everything is convoluted & nothing is straight forward.  It beggars belief that a dealer would not hang on to the books to a luxury car if all was above board.

Can I say (respectfully) that you Porsche guys are mad going to look at a car in a warehouse with a large lump of cash in your pocket.  I know that it seems you need to nail down a bargain then & there but you need to make sure old mate (and some of his mates) aren't waiting to relieve you of your cash.  I have been to a few jobs like this in my time where the buyer has brought a deposit & woken up in hospital.  I'm sure you all know what your doing & I may sound like i'm talking through my arse but old mate sounded very dodgy.  I would at the very least get a mate or two to come with if you aren't meeting at an address.  Sorry to be a Grandma.

I'll chime back in, nothing to suggest the guy was anything other than just trying to sell his car with his best strategy and with a rare collector like that the balls mostly in his court. He wasn't shifty at all, on the contrary actually a nice bloke. I am 95% confident that of course he owned it or his company did and pay him the money and no probs - BUT - legally he didn't own it and I'd risk a couple grand deposit to win the right car but not 15 large. Once you give that money into someone else's hands and further, a bank cheque made out to the wrong person and its in their account not yours (and if the legal owners decide the car wasn't someone else's to sell- you then have a car that someone else owns and somebody else has your money. It's hard hard hard and damn expensive and time consuming to get money back if someone doesn't want to give it back. If it was a normal finance set up owning an interest well that is no problem and straightforward. Someone else took the risk and brought it and 95% chance they won't have any problem.... That being said I reckon not having service books in this case makes it worth 20000 (or 30000?) less than if it had them. As for carrying 15000 into a situation well that doesn't faze me at all, I can quite look after myself and my money if it came to that - same thing, what's the chances of being knocked on the head, 1 or 2 percent? I'll always take those chances that's just life. Anyway a damn good car that got away but I won't lose any sleep...