Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

There are no photos of stamps from the UK and you have to wonder why ....

Also, would love to know where / when its wide body came about .... no option for it in the options photo.

You ar right about the price though .... if a coupe can't get that amount, a targa is wishful thinking.

Just looked again and I cannot believe that I missed it first time around. UK delivered and no M491 option showing. Far more to this than meets the eye.

lucky the rest of the country doesn't have this problem!

Long rant time

Mate, It's a joke. Luckily I got through ok with the 912, as I'd done everything, and more, than I had to do to get a LHD car sorted and rego'd here. I was fortunate that the inspector has a history with Porsche's (as Buiks went right through the car, and the inspector does know everything about them and what to look for), yet I was confident of it passing first go. Saying that, once it had passed, then the idiots at the rego office wanted the import papers, even though I didn't import it, and it had been rego'd in Victoria for many years. The initial I.D guy couldn't find the rego number that was on the windscreen, so I had to rebook an inspection at my cost, yet when I got home, I rang Vicroads, and they found it within 4 seconds!  Clowns.

Unlike this past week, where my SC now has to go for a roadworthy inspection (after I had an I.D inspection on Thursday which it passed ok), because its from interstate and an import. It doesn't matter that the car has been in Oz and registered in WA for 17 years by the same owner, nor does it matter that the I.d inspector said its a nice car after having a 30 minute, nail biting look over it, yet its missing the Australian compliance plate. What I should have been doing this weekend with the nice weather, is out driving it, not cleaning every nut n bolt to ensure they have nothing to pick on when it goes for a roadworthy and have someone put a sticker on to say its ok!

I SWEAR that the SA transport authority don't want old cars on the road, as I hear the same story all the time with imported cars. The inspectors have a job to do, and that's fine with me, yet its the morons that make the rules that are completely different to another state that drives me nuts. What you can drive in Qld is abhorrent in SA! Why not have the SAME rules for each state?

At cars n coffee last weekend, some of the modified Australian of Jap cars should be crushed, yet the imported LHD cars were all pretty good. I had thought of jumping on a plane, transferred the car into my name at a WA address, then transferred the car as a dodgy, yet I'm told the new laws require an inspection anyway with a car that doesn't have an ADR plate, so it would have been a waste of my time and extra money.

Half the time, whatever it says on their website is contradictory to what the inspectors say, so who is right? I've quoted their guidelines over the phone in the past, yet I'm told 'Thats incorrect', even though I quote the website rules and regulations.  I asked about getting a compliance exemption, yet it doesn't say 'You need a roadworthy inspection for that' on the site. So I have to get that done whether I want an exemption or not, so why bother offering it? 

My car is probably in better nick than a LOT of Oz delivered 911's, and if it doesn't pass for some stupid reason, I'll sell the thing, buy a local 944 and be pissed off for the rest of my life that I had to sell the 911 due to some bullshit regulations

Monthly rant over

Long rant time

Mate, It's a joke. Luckily I got through ok with the 912, as I'd done everything, and more, than I had to do to get a LHD car sorted and rego'd here. I was fortunate that the inspector has a history with Porsche's (as Buiks went right through the car, and the inspector does know everything about them and what to look for), yet I was confident of it passing first go. Saying that, once it had passed, then the idiots at the rego office wanted the import papers, even though I didn't import it, and it had been rego'd in Victoria for many years. The initial I.D guy couldn't find the rego number that was on the windscreen, so I had to rebook an inspection at my cost, yet when I got home, I rang Vicroads, and they found it within 4 seconds!  Clowns.

Unlike this past week, where my SC now has to go for a roadworthy inspection (after I had an I.D inspection on Thursday which it passed ok), because its from interstate and an import. It doesn't matter that the car has been in Oz and registered in WA for 17 years by the same owner, nor does it matter that the I.d inspector said its a nice car after having a 30 minute, nail biting look over it, yet its missing the Australian compliance plate. What I should have been doing this weekend with the nice weather, is out driving it, not cleaning every nut n bolt to ensure they have nothing to pick on when it goes for a roadworthy and have someone put a sticker on to say its ok!

I SWEAR that the SA transport authority don't want old cars on the road, as I hear the same story all the time with imported cars. The inspectors have a job to do, and that's fine with me, yet its the morons that make the rules that are completely different to another state that drives me nuts. What you can drive in Qld is abhorrent in SA! Why not have the SAME rules for each state?

At cars n coffee last weekend, some of the modified Australian of Jap cars should be crushed, yet the imported LHD cars were all pretty good. I had thought of jumping on a plane, transferred the car into my name at a WA address, then transferred the car as a dodgy, yet I'm told the new laws require an inspection anyway with a car that doesn't have an ADR plate, so it would have been a waste of my time and extra money.

Half the time, whatever it says on their website is contradictory to what the inspectors say, so who is right? I've quoted their guidelines over the phone in the past, yet I'm told 'Thats incorrect', even though I quote the website rules and regulations.  I asked about getting a compliance exemption, yet it doesn't say 'You need a roadworthy inspection for that' on the site. So I have to get that done whether I want an exemption or not, so why bother offering it? 

My car is probably in better nick than a LOT of Oz delivered 911's, and if it doesn't pass for some stupid reason, I'll sell the thing, buy a local 944 and be pissed off for the rest of my life that I had to sell the 911 due to some bullshit regulations

Monthly rant over

I feel ya pain Lee ... move on out of the backward state and come join us here in Vic, Vicroads seem most reasonable in all dealings I've had over the years with them, imported yank cars, hot rods and totally modified bikes ....plus there's still a great (but dwindling) live music scene to enjoy and ply ya trade!!

GT3 Watch

http://www.carsales.com.au/cars/results?offset=12&q=(((Make{%3D}[Porsche]{%26}Model{%3D}[911])%26Service%3D[Carsales])%26CarAll%3Dkeyword[GT3])&silo=stock&vertical=car&WT.z_srchsrcx=makemodel&sortby=TopDeal

Down 10k today.. looks like a great car

The agate grey QLD 991 with Opiate number plate ducked down from $375k to 335k and dissapeared I presume sold. $325-335 .. Not a thing to fault and that numberplate just got my attention for the right definition of the feeling of 991 GT3 car ownership… Addiction would be an understatement

The GT3 RS… Tasty bit of kit was hit upfront by Peter shortly after purchAsing ..owners submission.. anyone know any history on that was repaired or have any sources to photos or footage.. was repaired by Porsche centre Adelaide..  My Sherlock skills havent found anything..  still looks great value .

And the Mount Marth 996.2   - Whate heppened to that movie -- Gone it 60 seconds or will it be 60 days .. again looks like a peach car ..

Is there a slight tremor on the force…...

I even notice it the world of A- Cars an Aston 71's V8 pimp mobile was at $250k .. the owners taking acut an run approach at $190k..

Time to buy a dream car garage .. or remove my nuts form the womens grasp.. whilse she holds onto the bank whilst still looking for a house..

BIG MONDAY … THE SILICON CHIP INSIDE IS HEAD IS SWITCHED TO OVERLOAD!!

The GT3 RS… Tasty bit of kit was hit upfront by Peter shortly after purchAsing ..owners submission.. anyone know any history on that was repaired or have any sources to photos or footage.. was repaired by Porsche centre Adelaide..  My Sherlock skills havent found anything..  still looks great value .

This car was talked about at length over the weekend with most people thinking it was an interesting buy that would appreciate because of its history. HOWEVER, we were given some pretty sagely advice about it. First, GT3 RS's don't always fetch as much as it seems, so careful not to over pay. Second, the big problem with cars like this is underneath, because that is where they get most hammered. I pointed out the car bottoming out in one video, and that wasn't the front lip scraping. As said before, the car needs a thorough PPI and there needs to be enough in the budget to rectify anything found, and the suspicion is that things will be found. The final piece of advice was a fear that the RS bubble might have burst, so be very careful not to over pay.

I still like the car, even if it is out of my league until I win the Lotto on Wednesday :D

I feel ya pain Lee ... move on out of the backward state and come join us here in Vic, Vicroads seem most reasonable in all dealings I've had over the years with them, imported yank cars, hot rods and totally modified bikes ....plus there's still a great (but dwindling) live music scene to enjoy and ply ya trade!!

Move to Canberra, get it registered, have a big yard and shed AND have good roads to drive around on.  Plus the local crew are pretty rad... ;)

GT3 Watch

http://www.carsales.com.au/cars/results?offset=12&q=(((Make{%3D}[Porsche]{%26}Model{%3D}[911])%26Service%3D[Carsales])%26CarAll%3Dkeyword[GT3])&silo=stock&vertical=car&WT.z_srchsrcx=makemodel&sortby=TopDeal

The agate grey QLD 991 with Opiate number plate ducked down from $375k to 335k and dissapeared I presume sold. $325-335 .. Not a thing to fault and that numberplate just got my attention for the right definition of the feeling of 991 GT3 car ownership… Addiction would be an understatement

And the Mount Marth 996.2   - Whate heppened to that movie -- Gone it 60 seconds or will it be 60 days .. again looks like a peach car ..

I even notice it the world of A- Cars an Aston 71's V8 pimp mobile was at $250k .. the owners taking acut an run approach at $190k..

Time to buy a dream car garage .. or remove my nuts form the womens grasp.. whilse she holds onto the bank whilst still looking for a house..

Your 993TT & GT3 all rolled into one for a fraction of the price. :)

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-2002/SSE-AD-4195631/?Cr=7

The only car you need, car storage problems sorted! 

GT3 Watch

I've already said this but, if you're a serious player on the JR GT3 RS, I would call Porsche Adelaide and talk to the service manager Ben Adam. He's a really good guy and I've had the pleasure of dealing with him and his team, they are very professional. Getting it in there for PPI would be my advice.

Not that anyone asked for it, BUT My top 3 pick of the GT3 market at present is;

• Arctic Silver 996.2 CS @ $155k (great spec and colour) 
  • GT Silver 997.1 GT3 CS + PCCB in WA @ $219k (this is a rare spec car)
  • and of course the Jimmy Car if its ok. (FFS its an RS owner and thrashed by Jim Richards) 

I have got to say, I do not get the anxiety about buying motorsport cars that have been used for motorsport?

When I read GT3 ads that start with; never raced or tracked I think to myself, you f%$^ing idiot, why not? 

Sure, they need a thorough inspection, but first & foremost you should also find more out about the owner or previous owners, this usually tells you a hell of a lot about how the car has been cared for! If its Mr. Johnny come lately drug dealer, you need to run, run very fast. But should you happen to buy one from a prominent member of the Porsche community, these guys usually maintain them on an open cheque book basis AND know how to drive them, because most the time they've driven them for a very long time.  

There is also an understanding that you will not pay the premium of a collector or pristine example, but that is reflected in resale and all relative.

One thing is for sure, you can't quite quantify smiles per mile and I'll bet my left testicle that value is far higher in a car you can actually drive. :ph34r:

My 997 lived a life of sin as far as most buyers would be concerned, but I took the time to get it PPI, find out more about the owner and understand exactly what we were dealing with... sure it wasn't the "pristine, low mile, no track example, but I didn't want that,and it would be wrong for anyone to buy it and flip it as such (which was highly plausible).

The fact is nearly 10 years of getting raced in Hill Climb, Track days & motorkhana the car had about 30 type 1 over revs.. that is 1 second if you can't be bothered with the math, and type 1 is not a mechanical over rev (that is range 2 +). 

So as you would say Symsy, buy them, drive them and make stylish traffic... AND go race it too, any GT3 owner who hasn't is going themselves a disservice!   

/ [RANT] 

Edited by edgy

Not that anyone asked for it, BUT My top 3 pick of the GT3 market .......

Funny, I was to coy to ask you this yesterday!

Another question why you're on a roll, why's the silver one rate higher than the dark blue one?  Because GT3 owners/buyers tend to be generally conservative and silver is considered a "safe" colour?  Does the roll cage make it more desirable?

Thanks! 

Another question why you're on a roll, why's the silver one rate higher than the dark blue one?  Because GT3 owners/buyers tend to be generally conservative and silver is considered a "safe" colour?  Does the roll cage make it more desirable?

Thanks! 

The blue one is a touring, the silver is a factory CS. 

On the topic of GT3's, still surprised as to why this hasn't sold; http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-911-2000/OAG-AD-12819484/?Cr=11

Save yourself 100k over a 997 RS and get yourself the real deal. :)

The blue one is a touring, the silver is a factory CS. 

On the topic of GT3's, still surprised as to why this hasn't sold; http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-911-2000/OAG-AD-12819484/?Cr=11

Save yourself 100k over a 997 RS and get yourself the real deal. :)

There would only be a few reasons why a 40K kms car has had a glass out respray and none of them would be value enhancing.

There would only be a few reasons why a 40K kms car has had a glass out respray and none of them would be value enhancing.

? well said 

So its definitely had a shunt? Do either of you know the extent of the damage and/or the quality of repair? 

Thanks! 

sorry, I should clarify something here, my buying eyes  are those of a person whom would/will want to track the car. (In case it's not clear)

The factory recaros and roll bar will set you back some decent coin if you wish to add them later, and trust me after some track time in the comfort spec electric seats you WILL add them later. 

Having said this, it doesn't seem to command a premium one way or another. But to the track guys it's a more desirable spec car.

Yes, silver is more conservative option colour wise, quintessential Porsche IMO plus the national racing colour ??  And I think they look great in that colour. ?

Not necessarily. I have 2 mates back in the UK with Mk1 GT3's and both have had them completely repainted in the last 12-18 months. One has less than 25k miles on the clock, the other had about 40k on it but he'd owned it from day one. Neither have been crashed, but both were suffering from road rash / stonechips on the front and sides (the rear arches were particularly bad on the speed yellow one) so I'm not sure if the paint isn't particularly good or what, but the approach was sensible. By the time the bonnet, front bumper and all the way down both sides have been done it's not much more to do the lot and have it match perfectly. With the values of them increasing in recent times, returning them to pristine condition is worth doing.

I'm not defending the white one, it may well have been crashed, but I'd hazard a guess there aren't many 911's out there that haven't seen paint in their lifetime. 

1979 Porsche 911 SC Manual - LHD

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-1979/SSE-AD-4197802/?gts=SSE-AD-4197802&gtssaleid=SSE-AD-4197802&Cr=3

"You have a MAGNUS WALKER signature on the fuel cap! Signed by the man himself." :D:D

Nice car!!  #Getoutanddrive

love the colour and livery - good looking car, probably high dollars got LHD but not stupid crazy looking at what else is around

Edited by Ozvino

1979 Porsche 911 SC Manual - LHD

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-1979/SSE-AD-4197802/?gts=SSE-AD-4197802&gtssaleid=SSE-AD-4197802&Cr=3

"You have a MAGNUS WALKER signature on the fuel cap! Signed by the man himself." :D:D

Nice car!!  #Getoutanddrive

It's LHD. LHD is awesome. RHD is for losers. YOTLHD.

Not necessarily. I have 2 mates back in the UK with Mk1 GT3's and both have had them completely repainted in the last 12-18 months. One has less than 25k miles on the clock, the other had about 40k on it but he'd owned it from day one. Neither have been crashed, but both were suffering from road rash / stonechips on the front and sides (the rear arches were particularly bad on the speed yellow one) so I'm not sure if the paint isn't particularly good or what, but the approach was sensible. By the time the bonnet, front bumper and all the way down both sides have been done it's not much more to do the lot and have it match perfectly. With the values of them increasing in recent times, returning them to pristine condition is worth doing.

I'm not defending the white one, it may well have been crashed, but I'd hazard a guess there aren't many 911's out there that haven't seen paint in their lifetime. 

Completely. Whilst being involved in an accident maybe everyone's first conclusion it seems just a PFA rumour at this point.