Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

Hey Kov,

That car has been for sale for about 6 months at a guess. Seems like a nice honest car but a PPI is the only thing that's going to tell the full story. I think the price is a little high but if you can work on that you could be onto a good thing.

The colour is a little odd and may be the reason it's not sold. Seeing it in peron would be the only way to tell though.

I did notice the car was taken off car sales and then put back up. Of course a PPI is the only way to tell the true condition of the car, based on the kms I thought around 34k it would be good value. Reason being (Higher milage 996's are asking 40K plus)

I don't mind thje grey! Much nicer than that purple I have seen on the 996's.. No offence to anyone in advance!

Geez you get an awful lot of car for the money with 996s compared to other more popular models. I know they have been unloved for various reasons but under 40k for a 15 year old porsche seems good buying even if you might need to set aside a few $$ for preventative maintenance,

Yep the boxter head light and the water cooled engine have made the 996 great value!  Love your 964 mate espesially with the RS bits :)

Errrm, No its not :

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1975-Porsche-911-Carrera-3-0-Blue-M-Convertible-/271299868179?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item3f2abb7613

No reserve, worth a punt, need a daily driver? I like it.

]

Rare beast this one. As far as I can tell, the first convertible, or cabrio actually, was released in 1982. Prior to this they were all targa's. And in 1975 the only 3.0 L engine was the turbo. This car would need careful inspection to really know what you're buying. From the pics it's an SC targa modded to look like a later model Carrera

Its a 1976 US Market Targa converted to a Cab, with a non correct 1978 911 SC motor in it, according to the numbers on the ad and cross referencing them to VIN and engine Charts.

Nice looking car but has had much changed on it.

This is a 22k car. at best.

and why do people put Turbo wings on narrow body 911's? even the RUF yellow bird had a 'normal' tail.

This things been around for ages, but man, import G50 Carrera Cab for 27k? I mean c'mon someone needs buy this!!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1987-Porsche-911-Carrera-Midnight-Blue-5sp-M-Convertible-/320863415747?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item4ab4f32dc3

This car has been on the market 12 months easily. Must have something wrong with it.

The Targa converted to Cab - how hard to put the Targa back on?

This car has been on the market 12 months easily. Must have something wrong with it.

The Targa converted to Cab - how hard to put the Targa back on?

I reckon it probably does have something wrong with it, but worth a look and a cheeky low bid if whats wrong isn't that bad.

How hard to return to a targa? Not that difficult, but getting the right parts and rectifying any poor conversion work would be the challenge here. Its just not worth it and much easier to buy a nice original mid 70's Targa locally or from USA(and register Historic LHD).

This car has been messed with so much that the remedial work would be just not worth it. Even if it had matching #'s.

I really fancy this, I think you could play around with it & end up with a cool car.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Porsche-911-Carrera-3-0-1978-Targa-5SP-Manual-Turbo-Look-Wide-Body-Spoiler-/251360623401?ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:AU:3160

Interested to see what it ends up making (no reserve)

Wonder what the Vin# is, there were no factory turbo look C3's and SC's to my knowledge. 

Looks like a nice car though, would have looked great with those Fuchs that just sold as well.

Wheel swap would be the first item on the agenda.

Okay, I got the VIN from the seller and he couldn't tell me the engine # (Although he lists it as matching numbers).

The Car is not a Carrera 3.0.

It is a 1977 911 S Targa, which came from the factory with a 2.7L CIS Injected 165 BHP engine.

I have advised the seller to amend his listing to state the cars correct model and details.

Of course the seller didn't take too kindly to this and threatened harm on me and my family, stating he knows where I live etc etc...Some great name calling that would indicate that the seller is of a particular culture/religious origin. Racism is alive and well in Australia, but now its directed the other way.

Regardless, I do feel sorry for him if he was sold what he thought was a Carrera 3.0 and found out it was a 911 S 2.7. Not great news.

Yep

"Has original engine and 915 gearbox, all numbers matching"

If its numbers matching its a 2.7, The VIN dictates this.

If its a 3.0 then its not numbers matching. It would have had a SC Motor put in it.

Either way, its been mis-represented as its not a Carrera, its a 911S. It is a 1977 Build 911S Targa.

Maybe I am too Anal, I just don't want someone to buy a car thinking its numbers matching or a Carrera 3.0. 

Its a 25k Car. Another messed with, not-factory-turbo-bodied-car.

As the Option M491 only first appeared in MY 1984, the first Carrera 3.2.

A Real 1977 Carrera 3.0 would be worth 45k+( 50k + without the after market bodywork)

A 911S non numbers matching Targa is worth 25k.

Yep, I take Porsches too seriously.

The current High Bidder is a zero feedback bidder as well.

Yeah at that price no way it was a C3, however as it's already a "Franken-Porsche", if it was sound, you could

have some fun with it, without worrying about it's originality.

As wasser said, you would have to get it for <$25k, (also did you determine if it was originally RHD)

Okay, I got the VIN from the seller and he couldn't tell me the engine # (Although he lists it as matching numbers).

The Car is not a Carrera 3.0.

It is a 1977 911 S Targa, which came from the factory with a 2.7L CIS Injected 165 BHP engine.

I have advised the seller to amend his listing to state the cars correct model and details.

Of course the seller didn't take too kindly to this and threatened harm on me and my family, stating he knows where I live etc etc...Some great name calling that would indicate that the seller is of a particular culture/religious origin. Racism is alive and well in Australia, but now its directed the other way.

Regardless, I do feel sorry for him if he was sold what he thought was a Carrera 3.0 and found out it was a 911 S 2.7. Not great news.

GREAT WORK mate... Hopefully anyone looking at buying a Porsche has registered on this forum, and will at least be aware what is a legitamate sale and what could potentially be a fraud!