996 GT3 Purchase

3 hours ago, Windsor289 said:

OK priced for Duttons 😀. (Too cheap) 

Appears to be a Touring (airbag in doors) and possible race history (mechanical battery cut off pull cord in dash)

We discussed this car back in April 2019 _ Ex Nations Cup GT3 (I checked the build number with my records), ps notice the battery cutoff cable in video.

5 minutes ago, Windsor289 said:

We discussed this car back in April 2019 _ Warrick Morris car Ex Nations Cup GT3 (I checked the build number with my records), ps notice the battery cutoff cable in video.

Ah yes, I remember this video.  Looks like it had lightweight door trims fitted at that time, same as my LHD car had

The factory CS cars have no airbag in door - same trim as 996 GT3 RS

The Duttons car issues -

Kill switch in dash not factory

Alcantara shift boot, not factory.

Airbags in door trims, not factory 

A lot of 996 GT3 had kits that were dealer fitted - that’s why people think there are more CS than comfort. The factory built cars are as follows -

Nomex seats

Half cage with option for full - full cage fitted if requested to dealer

Single mass flywheel

Short final drive option

Short shift option

Kill switch kit - fitted only if requested to dealer. If no supplied in a box 

Fire extinguisher- fitted only if requested to dealer. If no supplied in a box 

Scroth harness - drivers side. Fitted only if requested to dealer. If no, supplied in a box.

Scroth harness - passengers side - option

Dealers offered kits to comfort cars to make the a club sport.

Someone on here may have more input / details 

CS door trim below

81AF1814-BE1F-435E-B9F9-BF745A4F2922.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Jason A said:

The factory CS cars have no airbag in door - same trim as 996 GT3 RS

The Duttons car issues -

Kill switch in dash not factory

Alcantara shift boot, not factory.

Airbags in door trims, not factory 

A lot of 996 GT3 had kits that were dealer fitted - that’s why people think there are more CS than comfort. The factory built cars are as follows -

Nomex seats

Half cage with option for full - full cage fitted if requested to dealer

Single mass flywheel

Short final drive option

Short shift option

Kill switch kit - fitted only if requested to dealer. If no supplied in a box 

Fire extinguisher- fitted only if requested to dealer. If no supplied in a box 

Scroth harness - drivers side. Fitted only if requested to dealer. If no, supplied in a box.

Scroth harness - passengers side - option

Dealers offered kits to comfort cars to make the a club sport.

Someone on here may have more input / details 

CS door trim below

81AF1814-BE1F-435E-B9F9-BF745A4F2922.jpeg

My only add:

Is Aircon & Radio/CD were No Cost options. Have seen a few MK1 GT3 with No Air, had rotary control buttons similar to an XF Falcon.

5 minutes ago, DJM said:

So it’s a replica?  Or a genuine RS that for some bizarre reason someone had airbags added?   Weird. 

Genuine GT3 (No RS in Mk1 GT3s)

Yep. On the centre console in front of the gear lever as the pic above is what I believe was standard for the internal kill switch. 

In relation to the door trims, my CS has a full plastic internal lining to the top portion - no inlay or reference to an airbag. 

My car is the same as the day it left Hamilton’s twenty years ago. The factory battery cutoff is a solenoid type. Which I’m not sure if this would be approved in certain race categories. That maybe why the black car has the conventional ‘contact’ type that uses the good old red key

6888E8C1-1754-400C-876C-851D9EF25364.jpeg

14 hours ago, Jason A said:

From the delivered data that's earlier in this thread, I was of the understanding that with mk1 GT3s there were significantly less comforts delivered to Australia than CS.  ROW I understand the ratio is much different. 

14 hours ago, RwGreeny said:

My car is the same as the day it left Hamilton’s twenty years ago. The factory battery cutoff is a solenoid type. Which I’m not sure if this would be approved in certain race categories. That maybe why the black car has the conventional ‘contact’ type that uses the good old red key

Nice!!!!  Miss my speed yellow, but at least I can drive the silver one 🙂  And it's a little more subtle.......

3 hours ago, bear924 said:

From the delivered data that's earlier in this thread, I was of the understanding that with mk1 GT3s there were significantly less comforts delivered to Australia than CS.  ROW I understand the ratio is much different. 

@bear924 that is what “the data” says but I have been watching the market for over 10 years - I would guess here 40% CS and balance Comfort.

There are many cars with dealer fitted kits to make a CS, I think that is where the confusion is. The option codes on the car tell the true story,

Happy to be corrected, but I have seen a lot of cars come and go in that time.

15 hours ago, RwGreeny said:

@RwGreeny you have a Factory CS car, it’s also in my favourite colour 

So why would someone order a touring spec then pay extra to have the CS bits added by the dealer when they could have got them as a no cost option? Or are we talking the next owner potentially adding these parts?

Based on your post @Jason A you suspect this black Dutton car was originally touring and had the CS bits added?

The name rings a bell. I seem to remember that car had been crashed at some point and then underwent a full restoration.

There was a black ex-nations cup car on carsales about 6 months ago for 115K that had a recent top end engine build. Light weight door trims fitted at the time. Do we think this might be the same car?

56 minutes ago, spiller said:

There was a black ex-nations cup car on carsales about 6 months ago for 115K that had a recent top end engine build. Light weight door trims fitted at the time. Do we think this might be the same car?

Believe its the same car... and if it is, you're correct on all accounts, it also holds a 1:41.8 lap time at SMP.... 😲

@spiller my understanding was supply was less than demand. So the dealers did what they needed to fill the demand.

003 is the factory option code for the CS kit from factory 

Globally about 20% were factory CS, Australia did get a healthy allocation.

If you look at number of RHD cars, it doesn’t seem mathematically possible for such a high number to be here compared to ROW

1 hour ago, edgy said:

Believe its the same car... and if it is, you're correct on all accounts, it also holds a 1:41.8 lap time at SMP.... 😲

Moving for a MK1 road car! If this is all correct, the desirability just went up in my eyes. Someone is looking for a healthy margin. Maybe Dutton snapped it up and put it into storage? If so, bit of a strange time to roll it out for sale, then again this car would just merely be a small statistic within their global machine.

12 minutes ago, Jason A said:

@spiller my understanding was supply was less than demand. So the dealers did what they needed to fill the demand.

003 is the factory option code for the CS kit from factory 

Globally about 20% were factory CS, Australia did get a healthy allocation.

If you look at number of RHD cars, it doesn’t seem mathematically possible for such a high number to be here compared to ROW

@Jason A Thanks for the explanation. Curious to know what the dealer fitted CS parts cost when the cars were new.

13 minutes ago, spiller said:

Moving for a MK1 road car! If this is all correct, the desirability just went up in my eyes. Someone is looking for a healthy margin. Maybe Dutton snapped it up and put it into storage? If so, bit of a strange time to roll it out for sale, then again this car would just merely be a small statistic within their global machine.

Granted it was in a much different state back then... and a wicked good driver. 

23 hours ago, Windsor289 said:

We discussed this car back in April 2019 _ Ex Nations Cup GT3 (I checked the build number with my records), ps notice the battery cutoff cable in video.

Gee that looks and sounds about perfect doesn't it........

1 hour ago, spiller said:

@Jason A Thanks for the explanation. Curious to know what the dealer fitted CS parts cost when the cars were new.

@spiller no cost option - if you ordered or the dealer had in stock

If not available as factory was and extra couple of thousand from what I was told by guys who bought one. The cage and seats were fairly cheap when these cars were new - dealers probably put them in at cost to move the cars

29 minutes ago, 356993??? said:

Ok. I’ve run out of popcorn...Reading what people believe is fact and what people are offering as fact on the black GT3.

looking in the pantry now for popcorn reserves. Ohhh I found some. All good. Continue the discussion please..it’s quite entertaining

Feel free to chime in and make a contribution, 

1 hour ago, 356993??? said:

Ok. I’ve run out of popcorn...Reading what people believe is fact and what people are offering as fact on the black GT3.

looking in the pantry now for popcorn reserves. Ohhh I found some. All good. Continue the discussion please..it’s quite entertaining

Should we instead keep it all hush hush like 95% of the Porsche world? Someone told me once, shit happens with Porsches, people just don't talk about it. Failry accurate in my eyes. This is a discussion forum, lets discuss. If it's been bent it's not that different to many other 996 GT3s. Heck, both the ones I've owned (1 is a cup) had/have been in bingles of varying degrees, and both repaired to a very high standard. The first guy was untruthful about it and a simple PPI uncovered it,  costing him 10K of the sell price in the process. I probably would have still bought the car anyway. No offence was taken, all fun and games but the hush hush thing didn't work out that well for him. 

18 minutes ago, spiller said:

Should we instead keep it all hush hush like 95% of the Porsche world? Someone told me once, shit happens with Porsches, people just don't talk about it. Failry accurate in my eyes. This is a discussion forum, lets discuss. If it's been bent it's not that different to many other 996 GT3s. Heck, both the ones I've owned (1 is a cup) had/have been in bingles of varying degrees, and both repaired to a very high standard. The first guy was untruthful about it and a simple PPI uncovered it,  costing him 10K of the sell price in the process. I probably would have still bought the car anyway. No offence was taken, all fun and games but the hush hush thing didn't work out that well for him. 

well, if we had people being hush hush on fact or fiction,  we wouldn’t have collectively contributed to this being page 121 on the thread topic of ‘996 GT3 purchase’. Nor my recent need for two mega bags of butter popcorn drizzled in icing sugar. Keep going....

to ensure this post does contribute with fact though, the black GT3 is very fast. A GT4 will not stay with it in a straight line

19 minutes ago, 356993??? said:

well, if we had people being hush hush on fact or fiction,  we wouldn’t have collectively contributed to this being page 121 on the thread topic of ‘996 GT3 purchase’. Nor my recent need for two mega bags of butter popcorn drizzled in icing sugar. Keep going....

to ensure this post does contribute with fact though, the black GT3 is very fast. A GT4 will not stay with it in a straight line

Not sure where the fiction is? I know on my end, all I’ve made note of is; if the black Dutton car is the Ex Warwick Morris car... it was fast, and still yet to be surpassed, and that it was for sale a year ago~ 

BUT, all bullshit aside, icing sugar on buttered popcorn... that’s what we need to talk about! Do tell....

Welcome to PFA, we’re in the 5% and we love a bit of speculation, with or without popcorn.

I’m confused.  Do you have something to say.....or not?

24 minutes ago, spiller said:

Welcome to PFA, we’re in the 5% and we love a bit of speculation, with or without popcorn.

Waiting on a popcorn response... wine selection depends on it, it’s gotta pair with the popcorn 

30 minutes ago, edgy said:

Waiting on a popcorn response... wine selection depends on it, it’s gotta pair with the popcorn 

Isolation is great with this thread!   I can go another month self distancing as long as the trust it out there....