996 GT3 Purchase

11 minutes ago, smit2100 said:

Yep as I see it the snot box hasn't been able to shake the flu and its like its on a hamster wheel and it only runs  backwards.  Did it not start at circa 250k and been averaging an asking price drop of circa 50k annually. Is it a  Singapore import?.  Please call for registration details per ad.  .  How many line items to knock off for a RWC?

Yeah that’s the one smit. Originally 250k, not road registerable, Singapore import. Someone is going to take a hit to move it on me thinks 

30 minutes ago, wilson59 said:

It has done less km now as well 

I was right onto the price being stuck in reverse, but did'nt see anything in the current ad that it only had one gear that was working.  Is that why you need to ring them if you are interested in registering the car?.  Do dealer plates trump road worthiness if you wanted a test drive.  The car has a lot of show, but in terms of go, what's the chance of getting an overrev reading  in reverse gear.

$4k price drop on the car at Autohaus, down to $139k....

Enjoyable drive to work in the GT3 today, I thought I should try the small detour off the main road.  Big smile on my face, probably not so the couple and dog out for a walk, might have been a little loud for them 🙂  Just as well I got to them just as I was slowing for the 60k zone.......

With very little available online in the current 996 GT3 market, it is interesting to see 3 of the 4 available are RS's;

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/porsche-911-2004/oag-ad-17450670/

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/porsche-911-2004/oag-ad-18420757/

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/porsche-911-2004/oag-ad-18111176/

They seem to be dropping in price...........at what point do they seem like good value or is there just too much out there at the 300k mark? 

58 minutes ago, Peter M said:

Still with the split seat.  Don't understand why the owner wouldn't get that fixed.  Don't first impressions count?

That's really a curious one!

Looking from the passenger side, the drivers seat looks atrocious, however, the first interior shot shows the drivers seat just fine?!

Someone took a test drive with a packet of Pringles?

38 minutes ago, edgy said:

I bought mine for 90 in 13 

Ahh, yep... The good 'ol days.

I remember being offered a yellow 996.2 GT3 with high-ish kms for the time - around 75,000km. The owner was about to trade it for his next car, and iirc price was about $80,000. Would have been about 2013/4. 

Mistakes are so easy to see in hindsight 🙄

15 minutes ago, luzzo said:

Ahh, yep... The good 'ol days.

I remember being offered a yellow 996.2 GT3 with high-ish kms for the time - around 75,000km. The owner was about to trade it for his next car, and iirc price was about $80,000. Would have been about 2013/4. 

Mistakes are so easy to see in hindsight 🙄

I don't mean to sound cocky... but this was one of those times I felt like I had a crystal ball.. for no other reason that it just seemed like an anomaly that they had gotten so cheap! Porsche pricing historically was a pretty good indicator that something so special wouldnt last... On its 20th birthday, I still think the 996 GT3 is undervalued and too cheap... I really think if you buy a good one now, the next 10 years will be kind to you if you care about that the fiscal side of it.... I prefer to drive them. 

Yep, well done @edgy........ I could have done with your crystal ball when I sold my '85 "last of the leaded" 3.2 Carrera 10 years ago for about a quarter of what it would sell for today  😭...... so I wont be making the same mistake with the GT3. 

And it will be driven, not collecting dust..... (just as soon as we're allowed to again!)

22 minutes ago, Rick V said:

Yep, well done @edgy........ I could have done with your crystal ball when I sold my '85 "last of the leaded" 3.2 Carrera 10 years ago for about a quarter of what it would sell for today  😭...... so I wont be making the same mistake with the GT3. 

And it will be driven, not collecting dust..... (just as soon as we're allowed to again!)

I think it is more a case of being pragmatic about these things and realising what models have a unique set of characteristics that set it apart... 

1 hour ago, edgy said:

I don't mean to sound cocky... but this was one of those times I felt like I had a crystal ball.. for no other reason that it just seemed like an anomaly that they had gotten so cheap! Porsche pricing historically was a pretty good indicator that something so special wouldnt last... On its 20th birthday, I still think the 996 GT3 is undervalued and too cheap... I really think if you buy a good one now, the next 10 years will be kind to you if you care about that the fiscal side of it.... I prefer to drive them. 

I hope so Kurt, I definitely think my GT3 is going to do a little better than my 996.2 C2 Tip that I'm still trying to sell 😞 

Given that my car has 120, 000kms on it, I suspect that contributed to the price level I paid, so driving it doesn't concern me, particularly now that I'm much happier about the history and previous usage - it hadn't had as hard a life as I thought it might have had.....

2 hours ago, edgy said:

I went through a similar mindset when I bought mine in Jan 2015. Bit of a light bulb moment and it was just impossible to see any downside to buying. Whilst I wasn’t suprised when they went up, I was shocked at how quickly it happened, basically doubling in value in the space of 1-2 months in mid 2015. I was expecting it take more like a decade. In some ways I wish they didn’t go up as Id probably still have mine and be throwing it about 100% guilt free with relatively low financial risk. On the other hand I’m glad I bought when I did, not because of the money made (that was a nice bonus), but because there was no way I would have responsibly been able to stretch myself to pay the prices they went to, much less thrown a car of that value around on track between concrete walls. Thus I had an amazing experience that I would have otherwise had to wait many years  for. Best of all it allowed me to dip my toes in the water of Porsche, at which point there is no turning back :)

5 hours ago, P-Kay said:

That's really a curious one!

Looking from the passenger side, the drivers seat looks atrocious, however, the first interior shot shows the drivers seat just fine?!

Someone took a test drive with a packet of Pringles?

I think you will find that it’s the door light reflecting on the seat leather, .........

sorry to push the value back up!.....