996 GT3 Purchase

14 hours ago, hugh said:

Is that not the Porsche owner known as 'Q' (tends to have 'Q' number plates on his cars). 

http://www.qsm.com.au/show_wallpaper.php?id=56

That’s him. He shut up shop and moved to Germany about 6 or 7 years ago. Paul (last name escapes me) but gave me loads of advice when I bought my GT3 back in 2015. Good guy.

2 minutes ago, Jason A said:

Yes, he has quite a collection 

Plus a couple of serious yachts, TP52 Black Jack for the serious stuff, and at least one Farr 40 I believe for small local stuff, also named Black Jack...  Believe he was a big fan of Sir Jack???

4 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Plus a couple of serious yachts, TP52 Black Jack for the serious stuff, and at least one Farr 40 I believe for small local stuff, also named Black Jack...  Believe he was a big fan of Sir Jack???

@TwoHeadsTas he was a fan of Jack. Up until recently he owned the Brabham F1 car of Jacks. Now owned by the Australian Motor Racing Museum. 

Here is one of the Fezzas

F0FC3CE7-03B7-4FD8-861F-2DDF069EECE0.jpeg

270C547B-09BC-497C-9001-C629CCD7C273.jpeg

15 minutes ago, Jason A said:

@TwoHeadsTas he was a fan of Jack. Up until recently he owned the Brabham F1 car of Jacks. Now owned by the Australian Motor Racing Museum. 

Here is one of the Fezzas

F0FC3CE7-03B7-4FD8-861F-2DDF069EECE0.jpeg

270C547B-09BC-497C-9001-C629CCD7C273.jpeg

New ones don't do much for me, but this is niiiiiice!!!!

Was talking to his boat manager(???) last year, and he said that after every big boat race the  TP52 is basically stripped down and rebuilt, winches overhauled, ropes replaced etc etc.  Good to see one able to put bucks into their toys, whichever type 🙂 

21 hours ago, Jason A said:

Here’s one up in Brizvegas that hasn’t done much work, part of a collection also

9E4A3088-803D-43FB-8691-D7022112408E.jpeg

5B8FA8D9-D2C1-4DEF-BFD7-22A74EA3940D.jpeg

Is that a Zanzibar or Guards Red Mk1?  I've seen a couple of these cars around NSW but reading through the Porsche official import stats they don't list any Zanzibar Red MK1's as having been sold in Australia?

4 hours ago, On the Limit said:

Is that a Zanzibar or Guards Red Mk1?  I've seen a couple of these cars around NSW but reading through the Porsche official import stats they don't list any Zanzibar Red MK1's as having been sold in Australia?

In Australia N1N1 Orange Pearl Metallic (6 off) is Zanzibar to my knowledge.

pasted-graphic.jpg

Was looking for brake pads and came across this article on the 996 GT3.

https://www.whichcar.com.au/features/modern-classic-1999-porsche-9961-911-gt3

Feel it sums up why I decided to buy a GT3. It's the car that bridges the old and the new, the base reference for all modern GT3s and the pinnacle of the mechanical analogue car.  A car that will never be repeated. 

And it's a blast to drive ... 

I'm also amazed how often 'non Porsche' ... usually female .. comment on the GT3.  Car people comment on the 924, and SC ... non car people seem to enjoy looking at the GT3.

51 minutes ago, bear924 said:

Was looking for brake pads and came across this article on the 996 GT3.

https://www.whichcar.com.au/features/modern-classic-1999-porsche-9961-911-gt3

Feel it sums up why I decided to buy a GT3. It's the car that bridges the old and the new, the base reference for all modern GT3s and the pinnacle of the mechanical analogue car.  A car that will never be repeated. 

And it's a blast to drive ... 

I'm also amazed how often 'non Porsche' ... usually female .. comment on the GT3.  Car people comment on the 924, and SC ... non car people seem to enjoy looking at the GT3.

That was a pretty good example of a GT3, great read.  Oh, and that car now wears Tassie plates 🙂 🙂 🙂 

3 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

That was a pretty good example of a GT3, great read.  Oh, and that car now wears Tassie plates 🙂 🙂 🙂 

Just got a phone call that my 996.2 C2 has sold.  Bit of argy bargy on the price, I'll get about $3 or $4 k less that I really wanted, and thought it was worth, but a sale is a sale, it could otherwise sit for another 6 months and I'd have to keep paying rego and insurance in the mean time.  Anyway, I can now nearly finish paying for the bank back for the rest of the above quoted GT3 🙂 

28 minutes ago, 1st said:

What are the rearmost skirts//what’s the sort of them -  on that silver car in the article please experts ? Thanks ! 

I've been told they were a factory option, or possibly dealer fitment.  I call 'em spats, but I'm not sure of the proper term, and presume they were seen as an extension of the aerokit.  Not sure whether to take them off but they don't trouble me too much, I guess I've got used to the look of them.  Current cost somewhere near GBP $240, don't think I'd be putting them on if they weren't already on though.

14 hours ago, 1st said:

What are the rearmost skirts//what’s the background on them -  on that silver car in the article please experts ? Thanks ! 

These are standard for the model year 2001, which we did not get in Australia... so if you see them on a local car, they're either an add on or the car is an import, there was a white 2001 kicking about Sydney recently for sale at AH. 

1 minute ago, edgy said:

These are standard for the model year 2001, which we did not get in Australia... so if you see them on a local car, they're either an add on or the car is an import, there was a white 2001 kicking about Sydney recently for sale at AH. 

Thanks Kurt, the font of all GT3 knowledge 🙂 

As my car was locally delivered (PCM) must have been special order or dealer fitment

If the book is as good as Roland Kussmaul's suspension setup guide for the 996 GT3, then it will be a cracker.

I've had 3 full suspension setups on my car, the first by the previous owner (no details), the second by Porsche Centre to "spec" which understeered badly, and finally the road / track biased Kussmaul setup with only slightly less camber @ the front to save on tyre wear. The driving difference is very telling..... 

16 minutes ago, Jason A said:

Here’s an interesting book I just picked up, good GT3 content from the start of 996 Sports Car Racing domination.

60D7B452-EF07-4276-99EF-253376B54E2E.jpeg

Great book !

Interesting stories in there from he and Jürgen Barth racing here in the ‘79 Repco Rally in my 924 Grp4 Rallye - p186-189 especially.

... he talks of a 72 hour long special stage on the rally- imagine.