996 GT3 Purchase

2 hours ago, 356993??? said:

I guess it depend on your standards  expected re condition/$ ask and if you’ve seen the car in person vs in pics. I haven’t yet seen a GT2 in person that I just had to buy as they’ve all been below what I expected for the $ asked (let alone vs what else could be had for similar $). I saw the white GT2 around Sep last year. And, it’s not in my garage or anyone else’s...take that as you may I guess...

Getting a car in the best condition possible is a given expectation for an enthusiast. I think most PFA people here would fall into that category.

10 hours ago, wilson59 said:

I like that car . For some reason the GT2 seems to be a hard sell even when priced well 

10 hours ago, luzzo said:

I have noticed the same. A little surprising. 

I think @wilson59 and I were both commenting on the length of time these cars sit on the market. I have noticed some 997GT2's for sale that seem to have sat for a very long time (years). This seems to be irrespective of price - The variation in price is also crazy.  Prices for 997GT2 on carsales vary from $299,000 - $475,000. For pretty much the same car, that is a huge price variation. 

So even though there are GT2's $125-175,000 cheaper than the dearest, they are still sitting there.  

Surprising. 

19 minutes ago, hugh said:

GT2 is an acquired taste and typically being at a higher price point it’s a smaller market. GT3’s on the other hand have a much broader appeal. 

It takes a brave person to drive a GT2 hard and some skill to stay out of the trees.....well that’s the folklore anyway.  Widowmaker and all that.... 🤪.  GT3 is a noisy toy for scaredy cats 😄

On 11/06/2020 at 05:28, 901er said:

Keep your eyes on the ‘for sale’ section.

But he only appears to have sold some wheels......🤔

37 minutes ago, DJM said:

It takes a brave person to drive a GT2 hard and some skill to stay out of the trees.....well that’s the folklore anyway.  Widowmaker and all that.... 🤪.  GT3 is a noisy toy for scaredy cats 😄

I don't need more power . I resemble scaredy cat  

8 hours ago, DJM said:

I think with the GT2 you've gotta put some context around it... they really seem like the kind of car that will shine where an exceptional benchmark for the track is north of 2 mins. 

I've seen it with the current 991.2 gen running the local tracks about 1 sec between a 3 RS ~ 

Randy Post waxes lyrical about the new GT2 RS and set the Road Atlanta street car record in it, but not much more than one second in it between the 3 RS... that obviously widens when you look at the ring times, which are relevant to no one here. :lol:

I guess that is a long winded way to say it looks better on paper.... 

5 hours ago, edgy said:

I guess that is a long winded way to say it looks better on paper.... 

Absolutely agree despite my tongue in cheek comments above.  I was never able to get down to the quickest GT3 times in my modified (480 rwhp) 996 GT2.  Anecdotally that seems to be typical.  Some of that was me for sure but even in my dirty old Mazda I’ve gone 4 seconds quicker around PI.

It was a jet down the straight but I could never seem to extract a great lap time despite the grunt.  Monster on the road but a tough nut to crack.

17 hours ago, DJM said:

And a cover with matching bum bag

On 12/06/2020 at 11:33, Jason A said:

I would love to have a GT2 in the garage, I think I would go for the 997 over the 996 for this one

Widowmaker with driver aids 🥶

You might want to pass on one of those '3's you seem to be hording then..!

On 12/06/2020 at 06:46, DJM said:

It takes a brave person to drive a GT2 hard and some skill to stay out of the trees.....well that’s the folklore anyway.

Definately not folklore

https://www.pickles.com.au/damaged-salvage/item/-/details/CP-02-19--Porsche--911--991-MY19-GT2-PDK-RS--Coupe/2202628496

GT2 RS.png

33 minutes ago, luzzo said:

Upwards rather than downwards, that's for sure......

Not that I'll complain if that's the case 🙂