996 GT3 Purchase

25 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

What I really want is a cupholder 🙂 

I don’t want to spark another controversy here 😆 but I spent a long time believing the outrageous lies that the 996.1 has no cup holders... then one day I found out the truth...

It did come with cup holders! It’s just that they’re kept in the frunk and you have to attach them yourself if you want to use them... 😁

Not that I’d trust them to stay in place, and I wouldn’t pay this much to buy them if I didn’t already have the originals, but I guess it’s an option...

10 minutes ago, JWM said:

It did come with cup holders! It’s just that they’re kept in the frunk and you have to attach them yourself if you want to use them...

Truth. My ex black CS has them included (still in packaging though!)

34 minutes ago, edgy said:

If it's for coffee... save yourself the grief that comes with cleaning spilt coffee.

I have a good enclosed cup, just want somewhere to put it other than between the knees during the drive to where the twisty bits start 😋  Then I'll put in behind the seat.  I might investigate Lee's suggestion.

2 minutes ago, hugh said:

Truth. My ex black CS has them included (still in packaging though!)

I reckon PO must have pinched them!!!  I'll have an explore though....

20200708_112701_resized.jpg

Hoping for some pre-purchase advice.

The 996.2 GT3 I am getting a Pre Purchase Inspection at Porsche Centre Brighton (PCB) next week on has an 11 year, 12,000km gap in its service history. The car has only 30,000kms on it now and the current owner said that he had laid up for 8 years up until 2018 when he had it recommissioned and subject to a major service by Cairns Classic Modern Porsche Services....apparently he was enjoying his other Porsches in this time.

Is this something I should be overly concerned about or not?

PCB recommend they do the over-rev check first and only do the compression test and cylinder inspection if there are over-revs in Range 2. Should I do the compression test and cylinder inspection anyhow?

Another question, how often are folk in Australia getting the Limited Slip Diff centres serviced, seems like they wear fairly quickly particularly when tracked?

Thanks in advance.

1 minute ago, MRZOOM said:

The 996.2 GT3 I am getting a Pre Purchase Inspection at Porsche Centre Brighton (PCB) next week on has an 11 year, 12,000km gap in its service history. The car has only 30,000kms on it now and the current owner said that he had laid up for 8 years up until 2018 when he had it recommissioned and subject to a major service by Cairns Classic Modern Porsche Services....apparently he was enjoying his other Porsches in this time.

PCB recommend they do the over-rev check first and only do the compression test and cylinder inspection if there are over-revs in Range 2. Should I do the compression test and cylinder inspection anyhow?

Another question, how often are folk in Australia getting the Limited Slip Diff centres serviced, seems like they wear fairly quickly particularly when tracked?

Thanks in advance.

Does he have supporting documents for that "gap", or is it literally a 11 year, 12k gap in the book with no explanation that can be substantiated... it is a little odd, but a good PPI should reveal if this is been to the cars detriment. 

You absolutely should have DME over-rev report run, also I would get the comp & leak down test anyway.... its a little more labour to get the plugs out, but this will tell a lot about the health of the motor... but not necessarily about whether any stage 2 over revs have been to the engines detriment. If they find any stage 2's, you want to know how many, and how long ago... the small issue with the 996 DME over rev report is that stage 2 is literally from 1rpm over and infinity.

LSD, yup they wear out.. particularly with track use. 

5 minutes ago, edgy said:

Does he have supporting documents for that "gap", or is it literally a 11 year, 12k gap in the book with no explanation that can be substantiated... it is a little odd, but a good PPI should reveal if this is been to the cars detriment. 

You absolutely should have DME over-rev report run, also I would get the comp & leak down test anyway.... its a little more labour to get the plugs out, but this will tell a lot about the health of the motor... but not necessarily about whether any stage 2 over revs have been to the engines detriment. If they find any stage 2's, you want to know how many, and how long ago... the small issue with the 996 DME over rev report is that stage 2 is literally from 1rpm over and infinity.

LSD, yup they wear out.. particularly with track use. 

Thanks edgy.....the sellers story is that he didn't use the car for 8 years up until when he had it recommissioned in 2018, he bought other Porsches in that time that he enjoyed more apparently. I have asked him to supply whatever history he has for the period after he bought it in 2008 and 2018, lets see what he turns up.

OK I will definitely ask PCB to do the comp & leak down test anyway. PCB mentioned they do a cylinder inspection with a camera scope if there are concerns in the over-rev report.

I will also ask PCB to inspect the operation of the Limited Slip Differential, what does a refurbishment cost?

13 minutes ago, MRZOOM said:

I will also ask PCB to inspect the operation of the Limited Slip Differential, what does a refurbishment cost?

When I've done them, I got the Guard Transmission upgraded plates and belleville washers... the good thing when rebuilding the 996 GT3 LSD is that you only need the plates and washers, unlike the 997 which you'd upgrade the ramps too, but thats another story. 

Last time I bought the Guard Internals it was $1000 USD for the kit, then any reputable shop can do that job... its not hard, and can be done with the transmission in the car, it just needs careful attention to disassembly & reassembly... particularly on the internals! 

Bore scope isn't a bad idea either... 

Good luck with it! 

1 minute ago, edgy said:

When I've done them, I got the Guard Transmission upgraded plates and belleville washers... the good thing when rebuilding the 996 GT3 LSD is that you only need the plates and washers, unlike the 997 which you'd upgrade the ramps too, but thats another story. 

Last time I bought the Guard Internals it was $1000 USD for the kit, then any reputable shop can do that job... its not hard, and can be done with the transmission in the car, it just needs careful attention to disassembly & reassembly... particularly on the internals! 

Bore scope isn't a bad idea either... 

Good luck with it! 

Thanks edgy, really appreciate it. Fingers crossed the PPI comes out clean, I have been looking for the right 996.1 or 996.2 GT3 with low kms and little track history for the last couple of years as I am pretty fussy......no idea when I would be able to inspect the car in person though given I am in Sydney and it is in Melbourne (with a 6 week lockdown)! 

23 minutes ago, MRZOOM said:

Thanks edgy, really appreciate it. Fingers crossed the PPI comes out clean, I have been looking for the right 996.1 or 996.2 GT3 with low kms and little track history for the last couple of years as I am pretty fussy......no idea when I would be able to inspect the car in person though given I am in Sydney and it is in Melbourne (with a 6 week lockdown)! 

No worries! Shout if there's any other questions.... 

If it falls over and you're open to a 997 I am selling one in Sydney, nice car, but dodgy owner 😛 

22 hours ago, Jason A said:

I think that’s where the confusion may lie, factory comfort cars with cage and seats fitted by dealers for a small premium. I know a couple of guys who bought new this way.

i should call the sales guy and see where the 40 number came from.

A lot of the MK1 cars I have seen advertised have air bags in the door trims. CS from factory has no airbags in doors for MK1 - it’s the giveaway. In addition to the 003 option code, if the bonnet sticker and books are available.

One day we will get to the bottom of the whole story - 😆 

Hughs ex car is a factory CS, no doubt. But the last black car sold by Duttons I say was not a factory CS

The Black 996.1 GT3 recently sold by Duttons was definitely a Factory Club Sport. I was looking at buying it and saw the logbooks, it had Option Code 003 which is Clubsport.....that car had some interesting stories to tell!

@MRZOOM agree on the interesting history, it has changed hands a few times now in last 12 months.

To validate the car you need the factory build sheet for the vin number with options etc. Bonnets, door trims etc can all be changed. If a car has a lot of track history, how do you know what panels are original etc. There are videos on here of that same car with carbon door trims on it - just as an example.

I should really just get off my pedistool- but I do enjoy the debate 😆

5 minutes ago, Jason A said:

Perfect,

Now does it have the door trims on it that it left the factory with ?

No it does not...it now has the air bag door trims off a 996.2. I'd would say the original non airbag door trims were lost years ago when it was in the Nations Cup, they would have been removed to fit a welded in roll cage with side intrusion bars. There is a YouTube video of the car with custom carbon door trims like I have seen on another former Nations Cup Car.

9 minutes ago, MRZOOM said:

No it does not...it now has the air bag door trims off a 996.2. I'd would say the original non airbag door trims were lost years ago when it was in the Nations Cup, they would have been removed to fit a welded in roll cage with side intrusion bars. There is a YouTube video of the car with custom carbon door trims like I have seen on another former Nations Cup Car.

Brakes sound just like mine... Pagids I wonder????

5 hours ago, MRZOOM said:

Thanks in advance.

An over rev & leak down will give you a pretty good picture of how the cars mechanical health is. These are pretty robust things, I wouldn’t be overly concerned. 

In all honesty these cars are a real testament to Porsche engineering. Plenty have had long & hard lives but still are as solid mechanically as the day they left the factory, 996 Cup cars also fall into this category. They were a Motorsport derived car, built to be used and exercised regularly, on and off the track. 

If it’s straight, looks clean enough and checks out the price seems right - do it. 

5 hours ago, Jason A said:

2004 GT3 RS door trim & 2000 MK1 GT3 CS door trim. 

Both factory correct cars, no airbags

It is ok to be wrong 😘

6CCB15EF-FE39-4E75-8ACE-F4071C4E5B46.jpeg

AB9CA2C8-B3DC-44E1-987B-02A2E0FBA4E3.jpeg

What is correct is that you are still wrong. And it’s still ok to be wrong. Another member has already halved your supposed ‘fact’, but inadvertently [innocently] added another piece of fiction re Nations Cup about a car. And you added another non-fact re sale frequency. Your experience or observations don’t make you right; in this case just well versed in offering inferences and assumptions.

6 hours ago, MRZOOM said:

Here you go, snapshot from the service book which matched the VIN. I think this confirms it was a genuine Clubsport 🙂1751311553_996GT3HandbookVehicleIDLabel.thumb.jpg.7c826ba91a1ace85e3db2a2f85f7cd2b.jpg

Is option code 722 (Internal production code (GT-car) on all 003 (Club Sports) or only special race models? 

11 hours ago, 356993??? said:

What is correct is that you are still wrong. And it’s still ok to be wrong. Another member has already halved your supposed ‘fact’, but inadvertently [innocently] added another piece of fiction re Nations Cup about a car. And you added another non-fact re sale frequency. Your experience or observations don’t make you right; in this case just well versed in offering inferences and assumptions.

Happy to be proven wrong, show me your actual proof or validation - not banter.

The MK1 GT3 was an FIA homoligation car, Porsche go to extreme lengths to mange weight in their cars.  My point being they would not slap an airbag door trim in a car - even if the airbag was not behind it. When in the same car they don’t even place the rear stereo speakers in the car to save weight. The CS no cost option allowed the factory to lower the weight of the car and prepare as a race ready road car. They would not cut corners and do such things in my humble opinion.

The 2004 RS was also a homoligation car and has the same door trims, rear speaker delete, carbon bonnet, plastic rear window etc to get weight down.

If you have actual proof to show otherwise - (on airbaggate) I am happy to apologise if proven wrong.