996 GT3 Purchase

2 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Pics are up now.

So is that a touring with CS seats added at some point (or was it a factory option?) or a CS missing its roll cage? I assume the former given there's no mention of it being otherwise.

Were those seats available in leather btw, I always thought not, but seems like I've seen a few cars with them like this now...

1 minute ago, JWM said:

Pics are up now.

So is that a touring with CS seats added (with a stop to be leather covered?) or a CS missing its roll cage? I assume the former given there's no mention of it being otherwise.

It’s just an Australian (C23) GT3, they came with the Recaros in leather by default, you could not get a clubsport 996 with leather seats, only Nomex fabric... if you see recliner seats in them, those are actually an optional sports seat. 

scroll back a few pages, I posted some extracts from the new car brochure. 

PS - I think you should buy it 

Interesting that it has the Centre Console added, most GT3s go with the Console Delete from what I've seen.  Not clear in the photos, but I wonder where the driver's 5 point harness is attached for the 2 shoulder straps?  Speccing those seats is similar to how my .1 Touring was specced, except I have the nomex seats rather than leather (well 50/50 now due to seat being partly recovered).

Nice looking car.....

14 minutes ago, edgy said:

It’s just an Australian (C23) GT3, they came with the Recaros in leather by default, you could not get a clubsport 996 with leather seats, only Nomex fabric... if you see recliner seats in them, those are actually an optional sports seat. 

scroll back a few pages, I posted some extracts from the new car brochure. 

Surprise surprise I had my facts totally wrong 🤣 ... Thanks, I'll go for a scroll and a read.

14 minutes ago, edgy said:

Do you want to buy a 996.1 C2? 😂

13 minutes ago, DJM said:

Does look very nice.  I assume that shuts the gate on Covid effect impacting prices.

Bit early yet to claim the Covid price impact is over. Once Govt $$ support ends, cars and realestate will rebalance from a price perspective imo - still a few months away

6 minutes ago, DJM said:

So if that fetched 160k on road (what’s that, 140k plus?) then what’s the high miler AH car worth, been sitting a while.

Good question, at the moment most buyers only want low km's. I suspect though in time and as stock dries up that will change....

IMO if it's a well maintained car with good provenance the higher KM's are a non issue, that way you can enjoy it.

5 minutes ago, Jason A said:

Bit early yet to claim the Covid price impact is over. Once Govt $$ support ends, cars and realestate will rebalance from a price perspective imo - still a few months away

Yes true, but most people that buy these cars, are cash buyers that understand medium to long term like realestate they will bounce back in value and they are a very well respected car world wide....... a safe bet that you can enjoy.

46 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Sorry Luzzo, I meant compare the PCW car to the $140k 996GT3 at AH, not the 997GT3

Ahh, I see. No worries.

For me personally, the 996 at PCW was a better car than the AH 996.2 GT3 - same colour which i love, but those seats - OMG! 

The car at AH is SO tempting, as the conditon and service history are exceptional, but I was just waiting for something like the PCW car to appear. 

41 minutes ago, edgy said:

JWM would be in line after me 😉 - And there's 2 in front of me 😩

24 minutes ago, PIC said:

Good question, at the moment most buyers only want low km's. I suspect though in time and as stock dries up that will change....

IMO if it's a well maintained car with good provenance the higher KM's are a non issue, that way you can enjoy it.

Having bought the high mileage car you looked at PIC, I have no guilt driving my car - clicked over 120,000kms last Saturday, going to put a few more on it Sunday morning too 🙂.  I'm comfortable with the mechanical side of things following discussions with the PO and my mechanic, although I have relieved Oldskl60 of the camshafts etc that he had for sale, to put into stock for 'ron.

10 minutes ago, luzzo said:

Ahh, I see. No worries.

For me personally, the 996 at PCW was a better car than the AH 996.2 GT3 - same colour which i love, but those seats - OMG! 

The car at AH is SO tempting, as the conditon and service history are exceptional, but I was just waiting for something like the PCW car to appear. 

Whilst the car I have has no service history docs from the first owner (who had it for all of 18 months), the 2nd owner who had the car for the next 18 years kept every single invoice, so I have a great history now.  I bet PCM Motorsport division was sorry he sold the car, I reckon he spent $20k there every year!!!

52 minutes ago, luzzo said:

Ah! I thought you meant the white 997 GT3 at Autohaus was sold... Read what I wanted to read there obviously! Bummer... 😥

3 minutes ago, DJM said:

I knew someone would bite.  I agree post Sept let’s see what happens.....

I tend to agree, but I was prepared to put that aside in the case of that car, because like @luzzo said, those seats - OMG! 😆 

On 05/06/2020 at 15:38, TwoHeadsTas said:

On 05/06/2020 at 16:07, JWM said:

Yeah PCW. I'm a little bit tempted to take a look at this... Pretty close to (or more than, in some cases) 997 money though?

Got the sold notification this morning.  That was quick.....

4 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Got the sold notification this morning.  That was quick.....

Not to the original depositor apparently. I got a call about it, but was (a long) way out of Sydney all day, so didn’t have a chance to take a look or go further.

42 minutes ago, hugh said:

Did @luzzo managed to nab it? 

Hey Hugh,

I followed up on Saturday to make sure nothing had changed.  I was surprised to find out it was available again. Apparently the buyer had not been given approval from she who holds his testicles. I was chasing for info on the car... service history, close up detailed pics of specifics, and most importantly a copy of PPI/PCW report. The sales guy had already given all of this info to a Qld buyer, so he had the jump on me, but he made a low offer, which was not accepted.

So, it was back to me. But I only had a few minutes to digest the reports and photos. They were putting the pressure on, but to be honest I didn't feel comfortable rushing it.  Then, I saw the PPI - "Range 2 overrevs" was all it said. As the car did not come with Porsche warranty, I asked for the full details, but was told the information would not be available until next week. 

So nearly, but no thanks 

On 05/06/2020 at 19:14, luzzo said:

Why all the clamouring for this non Clubsport 996 at $160k?  Just wondering what I’m missing....🤔

11 hours ago, luzzo said:

So, it was back to me. But I only had a few minutes to digest the reports and photos. They were putting the pressure on, but to be honest I didn't feel comfortable rushing it.  Then, I saw the PPI - "Range 2 overrevs" was all it said. 

I'm in a bit of a quandry about the importance / negativity on these.  I think if information can be obtained about the circumstances of such overrev, the thinking should perhaps be tempered by that information - generally, how long ago, and how did they occur.  In the case of my car, I found out that they occurred during a downchange for a corner, which concerns me (and my mechanic) a lot less,  as there would have been a lot less load on the engine at the time, compared to an overrev occurring when the car and engine is loaded up, eg going from 4th back to 3rd instead of 5th while at the rev limit in 4th, going up through the gears.

However, the overrevs and mileage was reflected in the price I paid for my car (allowing a big contribution towards a rebuild when needed) , so I guess that yes, at $160k, you would have some concerns about range 2's, particularly if recent.

BUT, I'm just an enthusiastic hack, others will have far more knowledge than me 🙂

Over revs

i don’t profess to be an expert but have been doing a lot of reading lately so will share what I have learned

- The Porsche ECU records 6 levels of overrev 

- the number that comes on the PPI / ECU readout is not the number of occasions it has been over revved, but the number of ignition cycles that occurred while the rpm was in that band (so the number on the printout looks a lot more frightening than it really is).

- low level over revs in band 1 are normally under load as the rev limiter just fails to catch the rpm by stopping the spark, not a big deal and just shows the car has not been owned by a little old lady.

- levels 2-6 are normally mechanical over revs where you have banged it down a gear too soon, there is nothing the ecu / stopping the ignition can do as the gearbox is physically forcing the  pistons / rods / crank to move at that speed

- level 1-3 Over revs is not great, but not a disaster. Unlikely to damage an engine unless you have a ton of level 3s.

- level 4-6 over revs is where the damage starts. My understanding is OPC / Porsche Australia will not offer their “Porsche Approved” status and warranty on any cars that have level 4 over revs or worse.

i am not sure if it is any better / worse if you have the explanation or circumstances for the over rev, the piston/ rods/crank are still moving at speeds that make things go bang. Maybe not being under load is marginally better but bottom line is the drivetrain is mechanically forcing the valve gear, and every reciprocating part to move at a speed it shouldn’t.

ECU will tell you when last over rev was in terms of engine hours. If it was ages ago and it is not rattling / dripping oil out the side of the block then probably happy days.

the only thing I am not 100% sure of is if these GT3 engines have the modern 1-6 levels of over rev recording, or the original 1-3 recording levels due to their age, in which case level 2 over revs are more of a concern.

3 hours ago, 550Spyder said:

Over revs

the only thing I am not 100% sure of is if these GT3 engines have the modern 1-6 levels of over rev recording, or the original 1-3 recording levels due to their age, in which case level 2 over revs are more of a concern.

Answer: 996 GT3 only 2 rev ranges recorded:

996 models have 2 Rev Ranges. Rev Range 1 records ignitions at the rev limiter whilst Rev Range 2 records ignitions beyond the limiter

Shown below are the engine speed ranges for selected models within the Porsche line-up in revolutions per minute

Range 1

Range 2

996 GT3

> 8200 and < 8800

> 8800

6 hours ago, DJM said:

Why all the clamouring for this non Clubsport 996 at $160k?  Just wondering what I’m missing....🤔

Official Porsche Centre sale, 1 owner (17 Years), < 50 KMs, full service history = What's not to get excited about (except it's a MK2 ILO MK1 GT3 😉)  

6 hours ago, DJM said:

6 hours ago, wilson59 said:

FOMO

3 hours ago, symsy said:

Exactly 

For someone ready to buy, it seems like it sits at the right price vs kms (for me anyways).

Only options (on the open market) are:

Autohaus 996GT3 (Sports seats)  114,000 kms. = $140,000 - plus on roads

Chrome Temple 996 GT3 (Bucket seats - non 003) 35,000 kms = $180,000 - plus on roads

PCW 996 sat in the middle ground & One Owner car (Bucket seats - non 003) 47,000kms - $153,000 plus on roads.

4 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

I think if information can be obtained about the circumstances of such overrev

Yep, agree. 

I couldn't get that info, so I didn't buy. 

36 minutes ago, luzzo said:

Only options (on the open market) are:

Autohaus 996GT3 (Sports seats)  114,000 kms. = $140,000 - plus on roads

Chrome Temple 996 GT3 (Bucket seats - non 003) 35,000 kms = $180,000 - plus on roads

PCW 996 sat in the middle ground & One Owner car (Bucket seats - non 003) 47,000kms - $153,000 plus on roads.

You missed: Lorbek 1 Owner Black Mk1 996 GT3 $395,000

4 hours ago, 550Spyder said:

996 only records Range 1 & 2 

997.1 + DME’s record 1-6 in each range