996 GT3 Purchase

The problem today is the market has started to wake up to what they are.

These cars are the closest thing you could get in the day to a proper race car with number plates.

I had always wanted one, from the time I saw them new. Just had to wait a while until I could afford one. So I drove air cooled cars until I could save up - who would have thought!!!!

6 hours ago, spiller said:

Whilst I wasn’t suprised when they went up, I was shocked at how quickly it happened, basically doubling in value in the space of 1-2 months in mid 2015. I was expecting it take more like a decade. 

I doubled my money on a couple of Porsche’s that year. The best thing about that was, my wife has never said no to another Porsche purchase since 😎

4 hours ago, Jason A said:

@hugh Regular GT3 was $95K, was a silver MK1 CS (with no air con) @ 85K, sat for nearly a year

Was only a $30K gap to a normal 996 at the time - no brainer

Back then I bought the concourse winning 996 GT2 40,000km with non factory CS interior for $125k with a spare set of Oz rims and tyres and factory seats included. During my stewardship of a couple of years, they rocketed to $400k or so.  Awesome you’d think.  For me it ruined the ownership experience because all of a sudden I couldn’t drive hard on track for fear of binning $400k.  I suspect none ever REALLY changed hands at that level but prices were hyped for a while.  I had a buyer bail on me at 250k then ended up selling for low 2s with a (by then) non matching engine #.  It remains a cracker of a car and a good buy at that price all things considered.  Buyer and seller happy.

I was actually chasing a GT3 CS and despite my short term hold history, I reckon I’d still have the $85k GT3 had I bought one........🤔

but geez those GT2 days were cool so no regrets.

26 minutes ago, 901er said:

I doubled my money on a couple of Porsche’s that year. The best thing about that was, my wife has never said no to another Porsche purchase since 😎

My wife used to lament my “toy” purchases until I made money on the first 2 Porsches I bought.  Everything prior was a money pit.  She is now conditioned to my Midas touch.

2 hours ago, DJM said:

My wife used to lament my “toy” purchases until I made money on the first 2 Porsches I bought.  Everything prior was a money pit.  She is now conditioned to my Midas touch.

May need to get ahead of the curve and do some reconditioning on your 3rd if it's a 991.xxxxx.  I'm pretty convinced the odds are stacked against a capital gain to be seen this decade on a 991.xxx, if you buy now sell later,  and lower odds again if RS is missing from the  badge.     So some red ink on the 3rd me thinks, but perhaps  still in front overall.🤑

27 minutes ago, smit2100 said:

May need to get ahead of the curve and do some reconditioning on your 3rd if it's a 991.xxxxx.  I'm pretty convinced the odds are stacked against a capital gain to be seen this decade on a 991.xxx, if you buy now sell later,  and lower odds again if RS is missing from the  badge.     So some red ink on the 3rd me thinks, but perhaps  still in front overall.🤑

That’d be 4th, took a small hit on #3 (GT4) but she still believes 😂

3 hours ago, Jason A said:

Back in 2013 air cooled 911’s were very cheap

Certainly were. Paid 85k, 

Put 12k into engine/maintenance, sold it 2016 in one day for ....245K. Yep I'm gloating:CoolDance:

Fuchin' spewing, a month later they were on CS for 300 - 350 and a couple at 390

yNfW2jb.jpg?2

14 hours ago, DJM said:

That’d be 4th, took a small hit on #3 (GT4) but she still believes 😂

Misstep from me on the gt4.  Forgot you were going for  garaging and dipping your heal and toe on the trifector of gt p cars.( silver, white, black next as well).  Still a believer if the fifth itch was to complete the  quartet? 

Not sure about that Windsor.  I was actually looking at the original door trims from my LHD Clubsport at the weekend, and they had the Airbag "flap" and badge, even though there was no airbag attached pr had ever been installed.  I suspect Porsche probably used the same door trims in the CS as the Touring, just no airbags.  The Duttons CS and my LHD CS had the same style door trims as on my Touring, but my CS did look to have leather facings (that may have been a European thing perhaps).  The cage looks to be an original Matter cage, although only 1/2 cage is in.  The mechanical cutoff in the dash is different to what my CS had, although that had been modified as a track car, so I don't read anything into that.  Of course my Touring hasn't got either mechanical cutoff pull

Is it worth 10K more than the silver 996.2 touring at Autohaus? Yes. Is the silver 6.2 overpriced by 15-20K? (Rhetorical question).

Still, a black 6.1 CS is a great car any day of the week. Someone with the coin who has been waiting for the right car might be willing to pay. Will watch in anticipation.

Not sure what the go is with that in car battery cutout either. AFAIK the factory switch was a push button that mounted on the forward section of the centre console in front of the gear shift. Then again, the cars were not delivered with the switches installed so mounting location may have been discretionary. Maybe @hugh can confirm what button he has in his?

1 minute ago, spiller said:

Not sure what the go is with that in car battery cutout either. AFAIK the factory switch was a push button that mounted on the forward section of the centre console in front of the gear shift. Maybe @hugh can confirm?

Yes, that is what my LHD car had.  I wasn't sure whether it was a mod they did when the car was prepared for the track

22 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Yes, that is what my LHD car had.  I wasn't sure whether it was a mod they did when the car was prepared for the track

Yours had the button I referred to? I’ve certainly never seen the in car loop like on the black one! Probably easier to reach the loop near the radio when your strapped into a harness and in a hurry to get the car shut off though...

5 minutes ago, spiller said:

Yours had the button I referred to? I’ve certainly never seen the in car loop like on the black one! Probably easier to reach the loop near the radio when your strapped into a harness and in a hurry to get the car shut off though...

Yep, agreed if you're strapped in.  Here's a photo (not too clear though) of the switch in my ex-car

20200119_130134_resized.jpg

It is requirement is certain countries that when racing there must be a cutout switch that is easily reachable by safety crew or driver from inside the car. So it’s always a red flag to me when I see a cutout switch installed inside the cabin like this.