Home built Hot Rod

MFX

21 minutes ago, Peter M said:

Jeff,

Don't sweat having to have your bell crank angles being parallel across the full range of throttle opening.  Although a sound mechanical approach to achieve angular linearity, remember an advantage of DBW is that you can adjust the relationship between the throttle pedal depression and the actuator bell crank angle across the full range of the throttle opening through a table in the ECU. 

Consequently I suggest you keep the mounting of the actuator as simple as possible and if you find the opening to be unsatisfyingly "non linear", use the wizardry in the ECU to give the feel you want, just like modern cars do.

(Linearity is all a bit of a misnomer anyway as the flow through a butterfly valve is hardly linear against butterfly angle.) 

That is a very good point. I didn't think of that, but it is definitely programmable. I may look at just that. Hmmm.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Jeff,

That thing you are holding in the picture is not a rear shock absorber, it appears to be a Bilstein strut insert for a Boge front strut. If you can show us the strut insert retaining nut, it will help determine what Boge struts it fits. The early Boge struts had an internal thread at the top of the strut tube & the later Boge struts had an external thread at the top of the strut tube.

993037663_ScreenShot2020-03-12at9_26_32pm.png.8efa62be0d1c4e7e2db86b1643f305a9.png

Early Boge strut - internal thread, late Boge strut - external thread.

59143b98468b6_Bilsteininsertsandstruts.J

Jeff,

The oil line that you didn't know where it went, is for the oil cross over pipe that runs around the rear of the engine on later cars, see photo.

rear_hard_line.JPG

34 minutes ago, 81SC said:

Jeff,

That thing you are holding in the picture is not a rear shock absorber, it appears to be a Bilstein strut insert for a Boge front strut. If you can show us the strut insert retaining nut, it will help determine what Boge struts it fits. The early Boge struts had an internal thread at the top of the strut tube & the later Boge struts had an external thread at the top of the strut tube.

993037663_ScreenShot2020-03-12at9_26_32pm.png.8efa62be0d1c4e7e2db86b1643f305a9.png

Early Boge strut - internal thread, late Boge strut - external thread.

59143b98468b6_Bilsteininsertsandstruts.J

Jeff,

The oil line that you didn't know where it went, is for the oil cross over pipe that runs around the rear of the engine on later cars, see photo.

rear_hard_line.JPG

The shocks were supposed to be a straight fit for my car, but I think they are the wrong ones. I plan on just sending them back to exchange for the correct part of my car. Or are you saying that they are possibly the correct part and I just have to pull my shocks apart to find out?

15 hours ago, MFX said:

The shocks were supposed to be a straight fit for my car, but I think they are the wrong ones. I plan on just sending them back to exchange for the correct part of my car. Or are you saying that they are possibly the correct part and I just have to pull my shocks apart to find out?

If you have 2 sets of front suspension strut inserts, you will need to send one back & get the proper rear shock absorbers. The rear shock absorbers do not need to be pulled apart for installation.

• 2 weeks later...

mate.....you just know you have to fabricate a stepped loom bracket....you've gone to all this trouble/time/effort, what's another bracket? Just make a cup of tea, a bit of background music with timelapse and hey-presto an episode....

You also won't kick yourself every time you look at it. Patience grasshopper ;) 

2 hours ago, P-Kay said:

mate.....you just know you have to fabricate a stepped loom bracket....you've gone to all this trouble/time/effort, what's another bracket? Just make a cup of tea, a bit of background music with timelapse and hey-presto an episode....

You also won't kick yourself every time you look at it. Patience grasshopper ;) 

I will probably just extend the loom. I really only need to lengthen the furthest couple of coil packs and the loom will make it.