Home built Hot Rod

MFX

Jeff, I just noticed something that you might like to have a think about.  Bigger air vents !  We all know how good the ventilation is on a 911. I know how much work you have put into the interior but it is worth considering.  Maybe under dash vents or centre console vents could be an answer rather than enlarging the existing pathetic side vents.

Just a thought.

3 minutes ago, OZ930 said:

Jeff, I just noticed something that you might like to have a think about.  Bigger air vents !  We all know how good the ventilation is on a 911. I know how much work you have put into the interior but it is worth considering.  Maybe under dash vents or centre console vents could be an answer rather than enlarging the existing pathetic side vents.

Just a thought.

My car came with the dealer fitted under dash vented AC and I have not yet refitted the vents at this stage. I also have some other options up my sleeve that I may explore later ;)

5 minutes ago, MFX said:

My car came with the dealer fitted under dash vented AC and I have not yet refitted the vents at this stage. I also have some other options up my sleeve that I may explore later ;)

Very good

Jeff re clutch cable instead of clamping the end on you could drill out the end larger part way through so its stepped spread the wires out and fill with solder this should secure it.  If you need a thicker cable think about modifying a handbrake cable good luck with the build.

1 hour ago, dobbo said:

Jeff re clutch cable instead of clamping the end on you could drill out the end larger part way through so its stepped spread the wires out and fill with solder this should secure it.  If you need a thicker cable think about modifying a handbrake cable good luck with the build.

I am just waiting on the rest of the parts for the hydraulic clutch install. I think it is a worth while upgrade anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, OZ930 said:

That’s disappointing, sorry I can’t help.  I’m sure the brains trust will offer suggestions.  It’ll be something silly.

5 years !  How old are the tyres ? 😎

The tyres didn't go on straight away, but the fronts are getting on. Luckily I need to replace them anyway as they are too big and scrub when I turn.

Hey mate I don't really watch car building vid's but as I was floating through I kept on noticing your fuel rails or more to the point the lack of rail retainers. Quickly skipped through the above vid to around the 7 minute mark after you have fixed the fuel leaks and noted you are running 60psi line pressure.

Are there retainers that I can’t see out of shot? I can see the rails are tapped for them but I’m not sure if you are running a custom mount on the underside or something.

After a 5 year build I’d had to hear the thing burnt because you had a rail and injector eject from the port!

50 minutes ago, Uncle said:

Hey mate I don't really watch car building vid's but as I was floating through I kept on noticing your fuel rails or more to the point the lack of rail retainers. Quickly skipped through the above vid to around the 7 minute mark after you have fixed the fuel leaks and noted you are running 60psi line pressure.

Are there retainers that I can’t see out of shot? I can see the rails are tapped for them but I’m not sure if you are running a custom mount on the underside or something.

After a 5 year build I’d had to hear the thing burnt because you had a rail and injector eject from the port!

You had me thinking there and although I was pretty sure there was, I had to go back and have a look. It does have fuel rail retainers that are very neat brackets that sit on the under side of the rail. 

I too do, not want to have the whole thing burn to the ground ;)

Yeah cool. It’s the small things like that that catch people out and bad things happen.

As for the no spark from the coil on cranking have you played with the air gap between the sensor and the signal provider? As I haven’t watched your other videos I’m not sure what brand of gear you’re using but I’ve found Clewett stuff to sometimes be a bit fussy. As a rule I try to use G.M stuff as it always just works and you can get it from your local takeaway shop.

I’ve got to dig a bit deeper into the memory banks and I’m not overly familiar with Link but I have a hazy memory of Haltec pulling signal to the coils if the ECU detected a voltage parameter being out of spec from another input to stop the engine firing and you having a bad day out. There might be something about it in my old Silver 930 thread I’m not sure.  

6 minutes ago, Uncle said:

Yeah cool. It’s the small things like that that catch people out and bad things happen.

As for the no spark from the coil on cranking have you played with the air gap between the sensor and the signal provider? As I haven’t watched your other videos I’m not sure what brand of gear you’re using but I’ve found Clewett stuff to sometimes be a bit fussy. As a rule I try to use G.M stuff as it always just works and you can get it from your local takeaway shop.

I’ve got to dig a bit deeper into the memory banks and I’m not overly familiar with Link but I have a hazy memory of Haltec pulling signal to the coils if the ECU detected a voltage parameter being out of spec from another input to stop the engine firing and you having a bad day out. There might be something about it in my old Silver 930 thread I’m not sure.  

I actually got the car running yesterday (for about 30 seconds before I fried the starter). I went through and cleaned up the grounds for both the coils and the ECU, but it looks like it may have been getting spark all along and could have just been that my timing light is not working properly. I have a new starter being express posted to me today, so hopefully I will have the full video of the car running properly by the  end of the week.

I hate auto electrickery almost as much as I hate body work but the one thing I’ve seen fail over everything else is poor earths leading to mystery problems. Again digging back to my old Sliver 930 I remember making up a super heavy duty earth lead between the engine and the body as part of my rule things out process.

Good to hear you got it to fire. It’s always a very stressful event.

2 hours ago, itsujack said:

It RUNS! What's the plan for a christening run Jeff? We should get a few us together for a southern highlands run 😀 

It is still a way off yet. It needs a clutch, brakes, driveshafts, not to mention a proper tune and that little inconvenience of rego ;)

2 hours ago, OZ930 said:

What is the black stuff that dripped onto the floor at 9:35 ?

That was from a hole in the exhaust (not from part that I worked on). I will weld up that hole when I get a chance.