[VIC] PFA Track Day 2017 - 12.02.2017

Orlando

Guys, AS1698 is a motorcycle helmet standard and is acceptable for CAMS club events, if you can borrow one for this event that's sweet.

If you are going to buy yourself a helmet for car events the latest standard to go for IMO is SA2015, buy one which incorporates the HANS posts it will stay compliant for longer. 

Do some online searching the SA2015 helmets appear to be available for not much more than bike helmets.

Peter Stevens in  Elizabeth Street , probably best priced helmets in Melb…motorcycle , I looked last time they were there for general openface for a car/bike.

Also these are well priced for what they are or the ones withoutthe Mic. I think these guys are in Melbourne.

http://www.dtgraceproducts.com.au/rally.html

I have a full face but on many levels open is much more comfortable , better vision and better for tuition and better for tuition interaction for normal wear .

Hans is also probably overkill, safety levels is a personal choice, but remember you hit far far less if anything at tracks .. you have more chance of a neck injury on the road , 100 fold.

Trev I would love a loan .. saves me trying to fly down with all this shit ..

I don't know about this "Hans is also probably overkill, safety levels is a personal choice, but remember you hit far far less if anything at tracks .. you have more chance of a neck injury on the road , 100 fold."

For HANS to work you need a race seat/full harness set up, it isn't something to be fussed about for this sort of family driver training day. An abrupt stop (concrete wall) on the road or racetrack risks neck injury. Road cars have air bags to lessen impacts, race cars don't - 100 times risk seems a stretch - best drive within your means and don't impact immovable objects. 

Ok, so from what I can gather, ECE22.05 is a European standard that has been recently approved for road use in most Australian states. Most helmets advertised at Peter Stevens for example are labelled ECE22.05, not AS1698. Snell and AS1698 are specifically approved by CAMS but there is no mention of ECE22.05. I have emailed Maserati Club (the club I have recently joined) to find out what their position is on ECE22.05 and waiting to hear back.

Whilst I understand the Driver Dynamics crew aren't hung up on this, it would be prudent to buy one that is useful in the future for myself. I also don't want to spend a fortune and motor cycle helmets seem to be substantially cheaper than car specific ones.

I did some Googling on ECE22.05 and found this interesting post about helmet standards https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2013/04/08/motorcycle-helmet-standards-explained-dot-ece-22-05-snell/

Looking at the current CAMS regulations they list E22 (with 03, 04 or 05 amendments) as an accepted standard for club events right under AS1698 http://docs.cams.com.au/Regulations/Bulletins/2016 Bulletins/B16-007 Schedule D Helmet Standards.pdf I'm guessing E22 means ECE22. Let's know what Maserati Club have to say, otherwise I'm happy to query CAMS to clarify that reference so we can all know what the story is.

If this helps anyone, I couldn't find my tow hook but found my old merc one (w203) and it fits both front and rear (same thread gauge)

If anyone in the same boat with a 996/997/987/986 - the below is meant to be compatible; 

I also bought one of those funky fold down ones for $20 on ebay (JDM style) lol. 

BMW

BMW all series.

MINI      MINI all series.
Porsche      911 carrera 997 996 cayman boxstor 987 986
Alfa Romeo      156 159 166 147 GT spider    
Rolls-Royce

RR4 Ghost

BENZ

W169 / W170 / W171 / W203 / W204 / W207 / W209 / W210 / SLK R171 
      W211 / W212 / W216 / W219 / W220 / W221 / W230 / W245 / W414
      Coupe (CL203)2001–2008

VW

Caddy 2004~
      EOS 2006~
      GOLF MK5 2004~2009
      GOLF MK6 2009~
      GTI

SKADA      Superb 5d Station Wagon 2008~
Citroen

C3

VOLVO      C30 2010~
LEXUS

GS300 2002~
      LS300
      IS250

TOYOTA

Previa 06~

YARIS Vitz Second generation
      2006 2007 2008 2009 Hatchback

SUZUKI

SWIFT
      Maruti

SMART      Fortwo 2004
Mitsubishi      LANCER FORTIS 2007~

LANCER IO 2007~
MAZDA

MAZDA 2
      MAZDA 6 (Atenza ) 2008~2012
      MAZDA 3 2010~
      ( For Madaz 6, fit both 1st and 2nd generation)

AUDI

A3 2004~
      A4 B6 B7 B8 
      Q5
      Q7 2009~
      TT 1999~2006
      TT 2007~
      TTRS 2010~
      RS3 2011~    

Nissan      Tidda 4D 5D

Honda      JAZZ FIT 2008~2012
Infiniti      Infiniti G37 G35

I think you'll find that the tow point while "good to have" is not a mandatory requirement from Driver Dynamics to have the hook attached to the car.

Again this is a driver training day, not even PCV Entree Class and certainly not competition

If it wasn't a PFA day you could rock up in your Camry and do some laps. :unsure:

Mate of mine did one in an AVIS commodore a few yeas ago... :D

Another $0.10 

Don't stress about things, this is going to be a fun day. 

If you have a query, ask a question, plenty of people here to help with answers. Tow hooks are "good to have", if you wanted to run with one I bet someone could lend you one for the day.

NINEAUTO have put the list from the prep night here if you want to check it out.

Why have a tow hook? If you run off the track and get bogged in a sand trap the recovery people will pull you out. If they attach to a tow hook there is minimal risk of extra damage, that may not be the case if you are pulled out by the strap attached to some other steering / suspension point.

Edited by johnno
Why have a tow hook

I think you'll find that the tow point while "good to have" is not a mandatory requirement from Driver Dynamics to have the hook attached to the car.

Again this is a driver training day, not even PCV Entree Class and certainly not competition

If it wasn't a PFA day you could rock up in your Camry and do some laps. :unsure:

Mate of mine did one in an AVIS commodore a few yeas ago... :D

Another $0.10 

How many times can I like this post? 

Ok guys and girls, for those of you looking further ahead than just this track day, here's the response I received from CAMS regarding the ECE22.05 helmet standard.

The standard you mention is indeed the same one as in the manual (ECE22.05 = E22).  It is a standard from European manufacturers.  I recommend that you look into a motorsport type helmet as listed as you may find in the future that this standard will no longer be sanctioned as CAMS moves to improve safety at the lower end of motorsports.  There are now some reasonably in expensive helmets available now with the most recent Snell Sa 2015 standard which will be available well into the future.

HEY ONE AND ALL!

Two new threads are now up seeking entries for our PFA on DISPLAY, as well as volunteers to help out on the day,

so if you're not already committed on the day but would still like to be involved, you now have a couple of options...

and

Kerry

Don't stress about things, this is going to be a fun day. 

If you have a query, ask a question, plenty of people here to help with answers. Tow hooks are "good to have", if you wanted to run with one I bet someone could lend you one for the day.

NINEAUTO have put the list from the prep night here if you want to check it out.

Why have a tow hook? If you run off the track and get bogged in a sand trap the recovery people will pull you out. If they attach to a tow hook there is minimal risk of extra damage, that may not be the case if you are pulled out by the strap attached to some other steering / suspension point.

Does anyone have start time end time , run sheet etc, just wanted to share with my visitors..and newbies?

Are we also catering? Or is it BYO?

Thanks looking forward to seeing those smiling faces..

Catering: All drivers (those who have paid for the day) will have free pizza and soft drinks at lunchtime courtesy of Driver Dynamics.

The PFA will have a BBQ serving bacon and egg rolls and later snags in bread, as well as softies and waters, and MARS bars as a BASIC answer to catering until lunchtime. We will also have a coffee truck there as well. We are totally restricted in what food services we can offer and food trucks are not permitted. It would make sense if you have friends and family coming that you self cater. In addition, there are various fast food outlets reasonably close, as well as Springvale Shopping Centre for a dimmy and Fried Rice if your stomach can take it!

PLEASE NOTE: The age limit on passengers has been raised to 16 years old. This is a safety measure agreed by Driver Dynamics and the PFA and is not open for discussion. Student cards will be the best source of ID on the day.

Unofficial schedule.... (officially posted when confirmed)

6.30am     team leaders briefing

6.45am     scrutineers briefing

7am          trackday drivers arrive to begin scrutineering till 8am. Garages will be allocated after scrutineering and can be accessed then as well.

8am          Driver Dynamics briefing and then all cars to drive and walk track as final briefing.

8am         "PFA on DISPLAY" cars arrive and are parked until 9am

9am         1st group session begins

9.20am    2nd group session

9.40am    3rd group session

10am       1st group second session

10.20am  2nd group second session

10.40am  3rd group second session

11am       1st group third session

11.20am  2nd group third session

11.40am  1st Passenger session

12pm       LUNCHBREAK

12.15pm  Announcement of awards

1pm         2nd Passenger session

1.20pm    3rd group third session

1.40pm   1st group fourth session

etc etc...

THIS IS NOT CARVED IN STONE, but will give everyone an idea of the timing of the day until the stone tablets arrive....

Edited by Kerry

If this helps anyone, I couldn't find my tow hook but found my old merc one (w203) and it fits both front and rear (same thread gauge)

If anyone in the same boat with a 996/997/987/986 - the below is meant to be compatible; 

I also bought one of those funky fold down ones for $20 on ebay (JDM style) lol. 

BMW

BMW all series.

MINI      MINI all series.
Porsche      911 carrera 997 996 cayman boxstor 987 986
Alfa Romeo      156 159 166 147 GT spider    
Rolls-Royce

RR4 Ghost

BENZ

W169 / W170 / W171 / W203 / W204 / W207 / W209 / W210 / SLK R171 
      W211 / W212 / W216 / W219 / W220 / W221 / W230 / W245 / W414
      Coupe (CL203)2001–2008

VW

Caddy 2004~
      EOS 2006~
      GOLF MK5 2004~2009
      GOLF MK6 2009~
      GTI

SKADA      Superb 5d Station Wagon 2008~
Citroen

C3

VOLVO      C30 2010~
LEXUS

GS300 2002~
      LS300
      IS250

TOYOTA

Previa 06~

YARIS Vitz Second generation
      2006 2007 2008 2009 Hatchback

SUZUKI

SWIFT
      Maruti

SMART      Fortwo 2004
Mitsubishi      LANCER FORTIS 2007~

LANCER IO 2007~
MAZDA

MAZDA 2
      MAZDA 6 (Atenza ) 2008~2012
      MAZDA 3 2010~
      ( For Madaz 6, fit both 1st and 2nd generation)

AUDI

A3 2004~
      A4 B6 B7 B8 
      Q5
      Q7 2009~
      TT 1999~2006
      TT 2007~
      TTRS 2010~
      RS3 2011~    

Nissan      Tidda 4D 5D

Honda      JAZZ FIT 2008~2012
Infiniti      Infiniti G37 G35

Just to update this - received my funky hook, it doesn't fit, gauge is too narrow. ($20 loss)

so simply adding that the enclosed fitment guide is wack - just incase someone searches tow hook of 996 in the future and references this ; it is wrong.

Cheers,   

Heaps of room for parking once you come through the gates. Spectating can be from pit lane (Garage side) or via the rooftop. 

Thanks Hugh.

For the spectators is it as simple as parking the car and walking through the gates?  Or do we need to go through a special gate?

Thanks Hugh.

For the spectators is it as simple as parking the car and walking through the gates?  Or do we need to go through a special gate?

Drive in through the gates and you will see where cars, trailers etc. are parked. There will be a security guard on the gate that will ask for a password - we will put a post up on here closer to the day with what that will be. He may just wave you through though if your in a Porsche B)

Drive in through the gates and you will see where cars, trailers etc. are parked. There will be a security guard on the gate that will ask for a password - we will put a post up on here closer to the day with what that will be. He may just wave you through though if your in a Porsche B)

Sounds good :D

6.45am     scrutineers briefing

7am          trackday drivers arrive to begin scrutineering till 8am. Garages will be allocated after scrutineering and can be accessed then as well.

@Kerry is there any change of garage allocation prior to scrutineering?  I am just thinking that drivers could then unload their cars in their garage first.