TrevMcRevs Boxster Hotrod

So Trev, in true ghetto Boxrod fashion, have you added lightness? Be interesting to know what you stripped outta the car and how much weight and creature comforts you shredded. Also have you upgraded the brakes or are they adequate for track work? What tyres are you running, anything specifically for the track, or just the road tyres?

So Trev, in true ghetto Boxrod fashion, have you added lightness? Be interesting to know what you stripped outta the car and how much weight and creature comforts you shredded. Also have you upgraded the brakes or are they adequate for track work? What tyres are you running, anything specifically for the track, or just the road tyres?

Nothing much in the way of removing heavyness yet... Though I were surprised by the weight of the original airbag steering wheel when swapping for a momo! When I ditch the seats that should save a bit too - they look heavy. I will delete the center console GT3 style. And get rid of the storage cubby behind the seats. Not sure yet whether I'll ditch the whole carpet..

Currently brakes are stock, and whatever pads were in it, but fresh good fluid. On a solid track session I've felt em cook a bit. I think pads are near due so will try a high performance pad with stock rotors/calipers and see how it goes. 

Tyres are Dunlop Direzza Z2. Very happy with them on both fast road and track.

du_dirz2ss_mobpdpcrop.jpg

Before....and after

Edited by TrevMcRev

Thanks mate, tyres look good too. I'm tempted to strip out all the carpet etc and anything unnecessary on my boxster, spare wheel, maybe also roof motor (speaking here with no knowledge of having even looked at the motor(s) ... console delete looks the goods yes, and I reckon you'd knock off about 30 kegs (more??) with Chinese knock off seats ...

put the car on a diet hahah, like I need to be. that'd reduce the gross driving weight by another 20 kegs....

The little BoxRod that could.

Had a fun run through the hills today.

I guess you could say it goes alright when a well sorted and driven 996TT lets you pass on the reefton and a pair of 997GT3s cant shake you...

This car cracks me up :Chuckle2: It shouldn't be that quick...

I think it's biggest performance secret is the fact that it is so stupid cheap! ...for $13.5k ya just drive it like ya stole it!

I don't know that I'd drive a $150-300k car that hard...

yeah ya would....Your heart rate would just be a bit higher.

• 4 weeks later...

Noticed some green venom on the driveway behind the right rear of the car. 

Coolant tank kaput!  Apparently common for them to split.

Sounds like a simple job?  Not on one of these....sorted though again thanks to Jocaro.

Consider a new tank your birthday present this year.

Yes, this month my December 97 build car is 20 years old!  

Happy birthday BoxRod!  :Beer:

Took her out for a top-down cruise along Beach Rd from Mordy to Port Melb and back - perfect evening for it.

Next year I might throw it a big 21st. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, MFX said:

That looks great, I envy your low budget no F#@k$ given toy. That is what it is all about.

lol when your budget is this low you have very  little choice over how many f#€ks you can spare to give!

————————

For those wondering why do mods like this that don’t add power, you obviously don’t get the boxrod ethos...

Here’s how it works.

Before doing any mod I ask this golden rule: “How will this reduce my stage time across the Spur?”

The answer in this case is easy, simply by declaring  your intention to the P-car universe  that this car is indeed thee “Boxrod” more special powers of grip and cornering ability will be giveth. 

6 hours ago, MFX said:

That looks great, I envy your low budget no F#@k$ given toy. That is what it is all about.

Bloody oath! 

4 hours ago, TrevMcRev said:

lol when your budget is this low you have very  little choice over how many f#€ks you can spare to give!

Know that feeling well mate. I'm using rusty imperial drill bits to remove my sill covers ??

While on the subject, when did wheel spin become skids.  Some young numpty, with his head on backward, yelled to me to "do a skid" while doing the wheel spin motion with his hands.

In my day a skid was the opposite, i.e. wheels locked up, as in "skidding to a halt"

I suppose in this day and age when "bad" is good and "sick or fully sick" is something fantastic, I am just showing my age.

40 minutes ago, OZ930 said:

While on the subject, when did wheel spin become skids.  Some young numpty, with his head on backward, yelled to me to "do a skid" while doing the wheel spin motion with his hands.

In my day a skid was the opposite, i.e. wheels locked up, as in "skidding to a halt"

I suppose in this day and age when "bad" is good and "sick or fully sick" is something fantastic, I am just showing my age.

You forgot 'lit' and 'dope' as todays analogy of something good. I bloody hate it