TrevMcRevs Boxster Hotrod

Yeah I saw that too!  Should go like the clappers with the engine transplant.  The wheels n flares aren't for me...but I'm happy to see someone building a boxster however the feck they want! 

Does anyone know what the engine transplant is?

I’m seriously considering 997 3.8 into my S, Handling with Bilstein PSS9’s is good, brakes aren’t too bad with tarmac Pads, fluid etc Just “need” another 100 or so hp to keep those pesky 911s away ?

I think it was a 3.4 from a 996, maybe a 3.6. 

With pss9s etc a 3.2S should have no trouble keeping 911's at bay in the twisties...if not just drive it faster!:D  The power deficit only really shows up on the straights and uphill sections.

Seen a few with twin turbos fitted also! I reckon a 3.2TT would have more herb than a 3.8 NA.

Picked the 'rod up last night. KW Coilovers and adjustable rear arms installed and set up by Darren at Jocaro. 

They spent a LOT of time on getting it set up properly, not just dumping it low for looks.

Took the long way home. Happy so far with the feel. Sandown on Saturday will be the real test.   Also replaced engine mounts and AOS while there. 

Still toying with this idea...

Fender badge. Either Boxster, Speedster or Spyder (if I get some humps) 

This is the one removed from the trunk with a bit of gold spray paint just tacked on place. 

I reckon wait till I get some mirrors to pull it off...

You know what I’d do? Bolt some big ass flares on. Just sayin’. Stop fiddling around with badges and get on with the main job son :Confused02:.

BTW your car sounded awesome the other weekend. I’m not sure if you know, but some folks laugh at Boxsters (and their drivers) but I’d challenge anyone not to love the drive and especially at your car’s price point. Did you have less fun than me in my expensive 993? Think not. Least you have AC that works too...Power to the Boxrod B).

I think it was a 3.4 from a 996, maybe a 3.6. 

With pss9s etc a 3.2S should have no trouble keeping 911's at bay in the twisties...if not just drive it faster!:D  The power deficit only really shows up on the straights and uphill sections.

Seen a few with twin turbos fitted also! I reckon a 3.2TT would have more herb than a 3.8 NA.

Thanks for that Trev, twisties is not the issue, not much comes close there!

On the track is the issue, corner speed and braking the Boxster is great and keeps a lot quite heavily developed and expensive machinery honest, an extra 100 or so more Hp would downright embarrass them ?

i have investigated the turbo option, tpc in US do some good work but somewhat risky with high compression etc is the advice I’ve been given.

Have you installed deep sump and baffle kit as yet, highly recommend for any track work?

You know what I’d do? Bolt some big ass flares on. Just sayin’. Stop fiddling around with badges and get on with the main job son :Confused02:.

BTW your car sounded awesome the other weekend. I’m not sure if you know, but some folks laugh at Boxsters (and their drivers) but I’d challenge anyone not to love the drive and especially at your car’s price point. Did you have less fun than me in my expensive 993? Think not. Least you have AC that works too...Power to the Boxrod B).

like so?

Took @Fraz for some hot laps at Sandown today...ask him what he thought...it was pretty funny chasing an Audi R8 with a pro race driver and a Walkinshaw W427 in the lil 2.5l 20 year old Boxrod! ??? Sure they pulled ground on the straights but lost it all back on the corners. 

Bang for buck it's a cracker! It makes me smile more than my 911 did because it always amazes me how it does so much with so little.

I love the underdog.

No video of the dry runs...dead phone. But here's some slipnslide action from the first greasy run.

So on the suspension...

First run out the track and I were slipping and sliding all over the place... and I couldn't gauge how much of it was the greasy surface and how much of it was the new suspension and set up.

At first I felt like I could normally drive it in the wet on the road a lot harder, but it was a little reassuring seeing other cars spearing off the track all over place.

Once the surface dried out, I were well impressed.  It felt really predictable, and the turn in brilliant. It has upped the level of what the car is capable of dramatically.  Zero understeer, just turn in more and it pulls in tighter with ease.  I'll need a bit more time in it to explore the limits.

With the AOS done it is now running perfect too.  It had been sporadically running rough at idle, now spot on.

Mechanically I feel like it is well sorted now.

Next.  Shifter and cables upgrade.  GT3 Console delete.  Seats & harnesses. Wheels. 

In the meantime, here's a RUF Boxrod @Ozvino sent me....

Edited by TrevMcRev

@TrevMcRev been following this thread with interest.  You have been tinkering and adding bits to the boxrod over the course of a few months with what loooks and sounds to be great results. I would like to get an SMT car and whilst either a 996 or AC (either targa, llefty or dirty right handy import to keep entry price low) I just don’t have the space and not keen to street park something I have spent a wad of cash on.  A boxrod would fit the bill as its guilt free motoring imo.  Was just was keen to understand from your experience, what mods have been beneficial from a boxrod set up for SMT vs what you have done for the track day perspective. Outside of purchase price what sort of budget/mods you would allow and recommend for each variant? 

@TrevMcRev been following this thread with interest.  You have been tinkering and adding bits to the boxrod over the course of a few months with what loooks and sounds to be great results. I would like to get an SMT car and whilst either a 996 or AC (either targa, llefty or dirty right handy import to keep entry price low) I just don’t have the space and not keen to street park something I have spent a wad of cash on.  A boxrod would fit the bill as its guilt free motoring imo.  Was just was keen to understand from your experience, what mods have been beneficial from a boxrod set up for SMT vs what you have done for the track day perspective. Outside of purchase price what sort of budget/mods you would allow and recommend for each variant? 

You're onto it Tips.  The Boxrod ethos = the zero f*&ks Porsche experience.  I drive it everywhere.  Leave it anywhere. Never wash it. Park it at the shopping centre next to SUVs with childs seats. Thrash it at the track. Spank it through the hills on a Sunday morn. Cruise Beach Rd top down on a sunny afternoon.  Sometimes all in the same weekend!  In fact that sounds a lot like this weekend.

I deliberately wanted an early no-frills 2.5lt.  Some P-car people would think why not an S? Or at least a 2.7?  But the same people will happily pay $200,000+ for a 2.4lt aircooled car...:huh:   

As for mods, I really hadn't done much till now.  For a bit of theatre, I've done the exhaust bypass mod, BMC air filter and de-snorkled it.

The pipes for the 'zorst I have are a bit bigger than most use - so pretty loud, but no drone and sounds great from about 4500rpm through to the rev limiter.  $300 at an Exhaust shop.

The 'snorkel' from the left intake duct acts like a stupid air intake restrictor.  Takes 10 mins to remove. Costs nothing.

BMC/K&N filter about $100.

Together this supposedly adds about 8hp according to people who have dyno'd this before and after.  That nudges it above a $1-2m 73RS in hp. 

Suspension if in good nick you could try just getting someone really good to set it up best they can.  Otherwise spend $2-4k on good suspension and another grand or so to install and set up properly.

Good tyres too.  I put on Dunlop Direzza Z2. 

Thats really it so far on mods that do anything.  I've spent another few grand fixing things, but I bought cheap, roughly knew what I were in for - and all stuff you could spend several grand more on buy-in and still have to do.

So I guess that means on top of a good car that doesn't need any mechanical make-good, allow around $1500 for good tyres, $500 to make it breathe/sound a bit better. If the stock suspension is good, you could leave it at that.  It will go very well on SMT type driving on standard suspension.  Or add another $3-5k for good suspension and set up.

Beyond that some easy extra hp can be had with these kits. +25hp on a 2.5lt or +32hp on a 2.7/3.2lt 

http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_2/TechnoPower_Kit.html

http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_2/TechnoPower2_Kit.html

Happy Boxrodding!

Still toying with this idea...

Fender badge. Either Boxster, Speedster or Spyder (if I get some humps) 

This is the one removed from the trunk with a bit of gold spray paint just tacked on place. 

I reckon wait till I get some mirrors to pull it off...

mate, that looks very cool !

So on the suspension...

First run out the track and I were slipping and sliding all over the place... and I couldn't gauge how much of it was the greasy surface and how much of it was the new suspension and set up.

At first I felt like I could normally drive it in the wet on the road a lot harder, but it was a little reassuring seeing other cars spearing off the track all over place.

Once the surface dried out, I were well impressed.  It felt really predictable, and the turn in brilliant. It has upped the level of what the car is capable of dramatically.  Zero understeer, just turn in more and it pulls in tighter with ease.  I'll need a bit more time in it to explore the limits.

With the AOS done it is now running perfect too.  It had been sporadically running rough at idle, now spot on.

Mechanically I feel like it is well sorted now.

Next.  Shifter and cables upgrade.  GT3 Console delete.  Seats & harnesses. Wheels. 

In the meantime, here's a RUF Boxrod @Ozvino sent me....

I just love the look of that car - GT3 bumper, colour, RUF wheels, stance, GT3 seats.....mean looking car; doesnt take much to toughen up these cars

Those wheels look identical to the ones @GUT had on his outlaw widow maker, shame the offsets wouldnt work for you Trev

Was playing on the ppq.com.au numberplate website with my son seeing what personalised plates would be nice/funny/silly and so on.  Typed in BOXROD - and yes, it's available.  As the boy is saying "yeah, that's cool dad", Mrs flamingporsche looks over my shoulder and is not impressed by BOXROD...

I'm saying, but its a boxster hotrod.  She says that its a bad double entendre; and worse that people already think that you're compensating for your manhood in a Porsche as it is, let alone labelling it as such with that numberplate :Chuckle2:

Lucky I married the voice of reason hey!

Yeah, I've got one of those too, but she is (or at least appears to be, and hasn't said no) supportive of my search for a 996☺☺☺

Peter

PS did you try HOTBOX availability too?  That probably would have met with an even louder NO!!!!

Edited by TwoHeadsTas

Was playing on the ppq.com.au numberplate website with my son seeing what personalised plates would be nice/funny/silly and so on.  Typed in BOXROD - and yes, it's available.  As the boy is saying "yeah, that's cool dad", Mrs flamingporsche looks over my shoulder and is not impressed by BOXROD...

I'm saying, but its a boxster hotrod.  She says that its a bad double entendre; and worse that people already think that you're compensating for your manhood in a Porsche as it is, let alone labelling it as such with that numberplate :Chuckle2:

Lucky I married the voice of reason hey!

Sounds like MrsMcRev is a little different to Mrsflamingporsche....

She has suggested getting me the BOXROD numberplate for Xmas!

Wasn't there one of these for sale here recently, $60k or something like that?

That was Uncles old Gemballa twin turbo

Seats that cost as much as the car.... :lol: 

Sorry, was that offensive? :D 

A true zero f*&ks Boxrodder would happily use chinese knockoffs for $500ea!