997 GT3 Market Watch

15 hours ago, cafe_racer said:

My mate traded that and a 930 for a 993 RSCS. I should have got in there early on both those things! 

Well I am glad that your mate traded it, because my old fella snapped it up!! Arrived today from Duttons. It is a cracker of car - but need to relearn the art of stick and using a clutch 😛

IMG_0193-resized.jpg

3 hours ago, cafe_racer said:

He looked after the car well. So should be in great condition. Will let him know it went to a good home! 

It most definitely did and yes it’s epic! Only issue is it’s too low so really hard to get up and down my old man’s driveway 🤣

He isn’t confident in manual so looks like I’ll be driving it for the meantime…… 

I’d be curious if he did the gold wheels, because it certainly gets a lot of complements too! I was going to bring back to the original colour but now I’ll leave it 🤭

On 23/02/2024 at 23:44, The Bern Dog Experience said:

Well I am glad that your mate traded it, because my old fella snapped it up!! Arrived today from Duttons. It is a cracker of car - but need to relearn the art of stick and using a clutch 😛

IMG_0193-resized.jpg

Definitely happy to be proven wrong on this one! Congrats to the old man 💯 

10 hours ago, hugh said:

I thought 2024 was going to be the year of realistic sellers? 

Some deals getting around, but still a lot of 'I know what I've got' going on too.

11 hours ago, sleazius said:

Some deals getting around, but still a lot of 'I know what I've got' going on too.

Yup!

Mixed with a bit of “I turned down $x six months ago” (where $x is above current ask). I appreciate that’s difficult as a seller but I’m not certain slowly adjusting your price, yet still remaining 10%-20% above reality the whole way down, is a winning strategy.

Third one is “If I can’t get $y, I’ll wait for the market to bounce back” … which always makes me think of …IMG_0790.jpeg.3d12331df4499fc46bd80c9ae5940d9c.jpeg

Jeez this is getting beyond boring now. Half of the comments on this forum for the past 4 or 5 years is only about fkn future values 🙄

Here's a tip: If you're wanting to buy a car and are scared of losing a few dollars in the future for whatever reason, be it the economy, or believing some inexperienced YouTube/social media f..kwit nobody so called expert telling you they're going to decrease in price, then don't buy it. You buy the car to drive and enjoy, and if you lose a few dollars then that's just part of it. Call it a fun tax, suck it up and move on 

3 hours ago, LeeM said:

Jeez this is getting beyond boring now. Half of the comments on this forum for the past 4 or 5 years is only about fkn future values 🙄

Here's a tip: If you're wanting to buy a car and are scared of losing a few dollars in the future for whatever reason, be it the economy, or believing some inexperienced YouTube/social media f..kwit nobody so called expert telling you they're going to decrease in price, then don't buy it. You buy the car to drive and enjoy, and if you lose a few dollars then that's just part of it. Call it a fun tax, suck it up and move on 

I agree with a few points you make. However, the way I read the comments in the last 6 months is everyone trying to determine what fair value looks like since the market has cooled. 

Nobody wants to overpay. A dollar saved is a dollar earned.

@C_S_Lewis

Fair enough noone wants to overpay for anything in life, but that's not my point. It's the incessant "What will it be worth in 2,5,10 years time...will values increase or will I lose money/is it an investment?" is what shits me.

If you're a flipper who can predict market values and world economy fluctuations, then fair enough. As a car to enjoy, just buy it, drive the shit out of it and enjoy without worrying about what it's going to be worth. 

Are future values considered/talked about when people buy daily drivers like SUV's like Macans/Cayenne,Mercedes, BMW'S, Toyota's and now especially EV's? No, as they're expected to drop in value, so what's the difference?

We're here for a good time, not a long time, so if one is worried about losing money on a car purchase, then maybe just don't buy it and save your money

I’d agree with that👏👏

I’ll  add that if you end up buying that “great deal” after all this analysis you will probably hardly ever drive it for the fear of the added kms effecting its value I’ve seen it time and time again and it’s not an enjoyable experience with the car eventually been sold within a year or 2 so don’t do it. 

If you want one of these amazing cars factoring in some depreciation and really enjoy it wil be money well spent.

6 hours ago, C_S_Lewis said:

Nobody wants to overpay. A dollar saved is a dollar earned.

Two dollars saved for a lot of us.

@LeeM I agree with the sentiment, but i think much of the recent discussion is because the market is correcting on a downward trend for a lot of models (not all). Given depending on the car we're taking $50k or more is probably why it keeps coming up.

Personally I'm just excited because flipping for the moment is a much more risky proposition.

34 minutes ago, sleazius said:

Given depending on the car we're taking $50k or more is probably why it keeps coming up.

Precisely. That's what I am seeing as roughly the gap between asking and strike pricing on these cars, which is significant.

34 minutes ago, sleazius said:

Personally I'm just excited because flipping for the moment is a much more risky proposition.

Good point. A positive outcome for enthusiasts.

I do also want to mention that I find this forum an incredible resource to get a real feel for the market. With dealers and carsales skewing the view point, I appreciate everyones insight.

Seems pretty on topic to me as the thread title is “997 GT3 market watch” 

I feel that the banter on this forum as a whole is pretty balanced between the various associated activities with these cars. Values are a portion of that discussion at times, especially now when the market is experiencing quite a bit of fluctuation and considering the level of spend is at several hundreds of thousands - you want all the info you can get. 

It’s ok, many of us drive and use them as intended too, you can do both. 

What’s a GT4RS going to be worth in 5 years…….asking for a friend 🤣

@LeeM you should subscribe to this guy, he makes really interesting informative videos………ugh 🤦‍♂️is there anything worse on youtube 👎🏻

6 hours ago, DJM said:

What’s a GT4RS going to be worth in 5 years…….asking for a friend 🤣

@LeeM you should subscribe to this guy, he makes really interesting informative videos………ugh 🤦‍♂️is there anything worse on youtube 👎🏻

Less than original price I expect 👍

Thanks for the tip mate, but I'd rather stab myself in the eyes with a skewer, and pour hot mercury in my ears than watch and listen to that bloke 

On 29/02/2024 at 02:02, C_S_Lewis said:

Nobody wants to overpay.

This is the crux of it... there is enough of us who have transacted these cars to provide feedback on asking prices, invaluable to anyone truly in the market IMO, PFA is a great resource in that manner. 

As for investment advice? Mine is don't look at cars 

• 4 weeks later...

Thoughts on the current carsales stock?

.1 CS - $296k

.1 CS - $299k

.2 CS - $350k

Very limited supply.  All big prices.

The silver .1 CS listed last month for $249k sold within a couple of days of listing, so presumably went for close to the asking.  The white .2 at Dutton for $300k was a similar story.

9 hours ago, 997nut said:

Thoughts on the current carsales stock?

.1 CS - $296k

.1 CS - $299k

.2 CS - $350k

Very limited supply.  All big prices.

The silver .1 CS listed last month for $249k sold within a couple of days of listing, so presumably went for close to the asking.  The white .2 at Dutton for $300k was a similar story.

My old man bought the 7.2 GT3 from Dutton's - we were really lucky to nab it as there were a number of people waiting in the wings if my dad didn't proceed. Which I said to him he had to buy even if he never drives it, so I have to do it for him.....

@cafe_racer knows the previous owner and he only sold it to buy something next level (993 RS CS). The condition was immaculate and clearly looked after. 

It seems all of these early GT3s in 996 and 997 are going to collectors and most will be locked up and held for a long time..... 

IMG_8969_1_1_7.jpg