996-7 Turbo Market Watch

On 02/08/2021 at 18:26, symsy said:

You are on full tech breakdown as normal..  :)   Sounds like you are having fun , I was about to say what did you do with that cheap car you bought?   Thought you might be up for a pre covid tax offer ;)    

We were aead of the time when we started talking these cars 2 years ago I reckon ... but I should bought that bloody 997 turbo for 130k , bald tyres or not I shoulda bought it .. even though the clown owner didnt know how to turn on the extra power in the tune .. remember that 

I''m just a twin turbo v6  boost junky.  if only i would just driver a tuned one before I brought mine, ther is no way I would of gone all out for 550hp plus / 550 ftlb torque and boost at about 1800 rpm.  As you said, 500 hp with a really good tune it plenty.

Spent too much time looking for a decent one on a budget at the time and sorting it out.   These on going at 145 What do you step into with with 

yes,  indeed and I am still spewing about that too but when it first came up.    I flew in  from India on around 23rd Dec and hit the couch at 8.30pm .  Fell asleep at  8.35pm   . You sent me an email at 10.30pm   with the ad. I woke up at 2.30am   Read the email.  Looked at the add, put in a offer at full asking ay 2.35am by text.   Got a text from the owner ay 6.30am saying I  was 6th in the queue and some clever dick  offered  circa  5k over asking at  10.40pm   Bargain, indeed apparently it was in pristine condition, 1 owner who imported  back to gold coast from UK, but with bilstein coilovers, tune and milltek exhaust with 30k of euro alps kms.   Mint colour in the blue.   Theres a mint  manual one in blue in Perth (same colour combo) that does the round at cars and coffee / porsche wa days reminds me as well.  BUT sounds as though that went down hill a lot in 6 months when your drove it after it was purchased.  eg driven hard as if it was stolen around the northern  / western suburbs of Melbourne. 

But equally a good a buy on the topic of  997's was the white 997,1  gt3 with 50k on the clock with full porsche center dealer stamps for under 150k in the Perth hills.  The brain trust on here lost the plot and were bewildered why the red one at Richmomds in SA took months to sell  at 169k.   F all air play on the 997.1 for under 150k. That was just a few months before covid.   If I had the means, I would of brought it and offloaded the turbo eventually and at the time  it would have been a circa 25k headline purchase price changeover,  good luck selling a 966 turbo with 15km more  than a 997.1 gt3 for a headline differential of 25k.  How times have changed.  Many getting excite at snapping them up at 200 plus plus and not a whimper at one that was under 150k with 50k,   (must be a shitbox, yet all excited about a red one with 60% more k's and 25k more expensive because its at Richmonds.   Bizarre.  FYI  the 997.1 was a legimate fire sale.   owner needed the cash quick for a business deal.   Someone got a bargain.

On 01/08/2021 at 15:35, BNR34 said:

996 turbos are already set up with too much front brake bias given the weight bias to the back. Changing calipers to GT3 up front makes it worse. Also wreaks havoc with PSM

Best solution for brakes is caliper spacers and 997 turbo rotors. I know people in the US that have run this setup for 15 years.

To be honest though, unless the car has silly power, the standard brakes arent bad. They are not heavy cars. As long as someone hasnt put crappy aftermarket pads in it and the rotors still have plenty of meat.

I have it on good authority that at least two on us on here that don't aren't running either stock power levels or silly power are extemely happy with  our gt3 calipers up front with 997' upgraded calipers on the  back , running 350mm discs all round. We are both not  millenials and are extremely patient  and fussy when it comes to ordering and waiting for parts.   I also have it on good authority that the fellow I  brought my kit  off has been screwing around with 996's turbo's  for over twenty years,   made his living at serving 996 turbo customers ( wrenching ,  rebuilding k16 turbo's with his own special balanced and blue printed design,   and putting tried and proven brake kits,clutch kits , go faster staged kits and does is own tunng. ( does his own programming and own is ecu read write adapters and software and all his kits are based on factory part numbers and his seen it all and every combination that comes into his shop over the last twenty years) I have chewed his ear off for hours on the phone and he laid out exactly what  I had to do to do and parts needed to get close to a goal I had for my project i had planned that went down to getting 997.1 turbo exhaust manifolds and how much of the factory weld to port along with how you need to get the heat gun out for a few hours to make the EVOMS inlet pipe install work.

Just a view but yes many put gt3 up front and I am speculating , but you fail  / the forum posts fail to mention what did they do the rears besides perhaps cheaping  out and putting some  home brew spacers on to fit bigger 350mm discs. What are the porsche part numbers on those spacers again.   

Whats this wreaks havoc with PSM.  The main  issue I've had with  PSM has nothing to do with my brake setup but more to do with IO error and a bit too much bias in relation to boost of the power kind as oppose to the braking kind.

On 06/08/2021 at 18:13, Joz said:

You and me both.

But I did get a tip.

Just did a major service, very happy 😊 

I can highly recommend taking your car on a misty winters midnight run (the intercoolers and the ecu love lower ambient temps)  on the chelsea heights freeway entrance ramp on the Franston freeway and then take the left exit at rutherford road  before the freeway joins with peninsula link and wind your window down  before the peninsula link  / eastlink fly over  and do a third gear from as low km as possible  right in the middle of the underpass as you head towards Franskon and get on  right in the middle of the bridge flyover at legal spped limits obviously   If your running on stock exhaust, its the best place south of the river to listen to mezger at its best  with the note bouncing off the bridge abutments and underside of the bridge.   Much more happy smile on your dial than a service. 

8 hours ago, smit2100 said:

I have it on good authority that at least two on us on here that don't aren't running either stock power levels or silly power are extemely happy with  our gt3 calipers up front with 997' upgraded calipers on the  back , running 350mm discs all round. We are both not  millenials and are extremely patient  and fussy when it comes to ordering and waiting for parts.   I also have it on good authority that the fellow I  brought my kit  off has been screwing around with 996's turbo's  for over twenty years,   made his living at serving 996 turbo customers ( wrenching ,  rebuilding k16 turbo's with his own special balanced and blue printed design,   and putting tried and proven brake kits,clutch kits , go faster staged kits and does is own tunng. ( does his own programming and own is ecu read write adapters and software and all his kits are based on factory part numbers and his seen it all and every combination that comes into his shop over the last twenty years) I have chewed his ear off for hours on the phone and he laid out exactly what  I had to do to do and parts needed to get close to a goal I had for my project i had planned that went down to getting 997.1 turbo exhaust manifolds and how much of the factory weld to port along with how you need to get the heat gun out for a few hours to make the EVOMS inlet pipe install work.

Just a view but yes many put gt3 up front and I am speculating , but you fail  / the forum posts fail to mention what did they do the rears besides perhaps cheaping  out and putting some  home brew spacers on to fit bigger 350mm discs. What are the porsche part numbers on those spacers again.   

Whats this wreaks havoc with PSM.  The main  issue I've had with  PSM has nothing to do with my brake setup but more to do with IO error and a bit too much bias in relation to boost of the power kind as oppose to the braking kind.

Factory 6 pots (996 GT2/3, 997 and I think even cayenne) up front and 997.1tt rear with 997.1tt 350mm rotors all round work really well. Brake bias is kept pretty much stock. The only 'issue' is the bigger caliper area makes the pedal feel softer. You can change to a bigger master cylinder to fix this though.

What I meant was 350mm rotors and 6 piston calipers and not changing the rear. Massively shifts the bias to the front which makes braking worse (even though the brakes will stay cooler and fade less). The reason it wreaks havoc with PSM is that x pressure applied to the front brakes is a lot more stopping power than it was from factory and y pressure on the back is the same. To prevent this, and keep bias the same, you need to maintain the balance of piston area, pad area, pad friction coefficient and caliper radius. Your setup does this so it works well.

Using 11mm spacers with factory calipers and 997.1tt rotors also does this. Not sure if there is a porsche OEM part number for suitable spacers because it is easy to turn them out of 6061. Plenty of OEM setups with brembo calipers run spacers though. They are designed to be used that way. When you do this, you need longer bolts. OEM part number for the bolts is 999 067 053 09. They used to supply german made inhex head, but the last ones I saw were italian made torx head.

Your setup is better than the spacer setup because the calipers are better. However, the spacer method of upgrading literally costs a couple of hundred dollars if the car needs new rotors anyway. It works very well and has the advantage that it doesnt mess with the pedal feel. 

Cooling ducts make a big difference too. With 350mm rotors, we used tonuse 996GT2 ducts. They scrape everywhere though. There might be a better option now but sometimes they are worse if they are made for bigger rotors because they blast the air in the wrong splace.

That said, my road 996tt runs all stock brakes and still has the rotors and pads it left the factory with because it gets driven like miss daisey...

On 08/08/2021 at 06:23, BNR34 said:

Factory 6 pots (996 GT2/3, 997 and I think even cayenne) up front and 997.1tt rear with 997.1tt 350mm rotors all round work really well. Brake bias is kept pretty much stock. The only 'issue' is the bigger caliper area makes the pedal feel softer. You can change to a bigger master cylinder to fix this though.

What I meant was 350mm rotors and 6 piston calipers and not changing the rear. Massively shifts the bias to the front which makes braking worse (even though the brakes will stay cooler and fade less). The reason it wreaks havoc with PSM is that x pressure applied to the front brakes is a lot more stopping power than it was from factory and y pressure on the back is the same. To prevent this, and keep bias the same, you need to maintain the balance of piston area, pad area, pad friction coefficient and caliper radius. Your setup does this so it works well.

Using 11mm spacers with factory calipers and 997.1tt rotors also does this. Not sure if there is a porsche OEM part number for suitable spacers because it is easy to turn them out of 6061. Plenty of OEM setups with brembo calipers run spacers though. They are designed to be used that way. When you do this, you need longer bolts. OEM part number for the bolts is 999 067 053 09. They used to supply german made inhex head, but the last ones I saw were italian made torx head.

Your setup is better than the spacer setup because the calipers are better. However, the spacer method of upgrading literally costs a couple of hundred dollars if the car needs new rotors anyway. It works very well and has the advantage that it doesnt mess with the pedal feel. 

Cooling ducts make a big difference too. With 350mm rotors, we used tonuse 996GT2 ducts. They scrape everywhere though. There might be a better option now but sometimes they are worse if they are made for bigger rotors because they blast the air in the wrong splace.

That said, my road 996tt runs all stock brakes and still has the rotors and pads it left the factory with because it gets driven like miss daisey...

Yep Ive   got a couple  of sets  gt2 ducts as consumables

Long time lurker - First post...

I am considering a step up to a GT car.

I have a very nice, highly optioned '08 Manual Turbo in GR.

Fully up to date service history 44,xxx klms.

Looked after by PR Tech since my stewardship.

Factory Options:

Extended leather, Deviated Stitching, Red belts, Sports wheel, Heated electric sport seats seats, Silver Gauges.

PCCB, LSD, SSK and Sport Chrono.

Options i've added / extras:

New Factory GT2 folding buckets (retrimmed by Prostitch to match (in OEM leather)

991.2 Steering wheel and Airbag upgrade (deviated stitch + Yellow Stripe)

Full leather Centre console (matching deviated stitching) and Shift boot.

Europipe, SpeedTech tips+ GT2RS Intercoolers and UMW tune (Fitted by PR)

More than likely sell totally stock....

Major service + New pads + Fluids + Coils + Plugs done at last service. (less than 500klms ago) 

Whats the consensus on price in todays market? The price would reflect inclusions of course...

Not sure i'd sell it as it took me well over 12 months to find - but i find myself hankering for a 2wd again......

Thanks,

Simon

As a rough guide, There’s a heavily modded 997.1 that has been for sale for months that is up and down in price from low 2’s to now high 2’s. 

I think 200-220 is the current market price for a unmodified Aus del example with reasonable Km. Autohaus had a car listed for 1 day - no pics, that was 210k last week. Assume it sold quickly at asking. 

You’ll need to wait for the right buyer that will pay extra for inclusions.

2 hours ago, on_booost said:

Long time lurker - First post...

I am considering a step up to a GT car.

I have a very nice, highly optioned '08 Manual Turbo in GR.

Fully up to date service history 44,xxx klms.

Looked after by PR Tech since my stewardship.

Factory Options:

Extended leather, Deviated Stitching, Red belts, Sports wheel, Heated electric sport seats seats, Silver Gauges.

PCCB, LSD, SSK and Sport Chrono.

Options i've added / extras:

New Factory GT2 folding buckets (retrimmed by Prostitch to match (in OEM leather)

991.2 Steering wheel and Airbag upgrade (deviated stitch + Yellow Stripe)

Full leather Centre console (matching deviated stitching) and Shift boot.

Europipe, SpeedTech tips+ GT2RS Intercoolers and UMW tune (Fitted by PR)

More than likely sell totally stock....

Major service + New pads + Fluids + Coils + Plugs done at last service. (less than 500klms ago) 

Whats the consensus on price in todays market? The price would reflect inclusions of course...

Not sure i'd sell it as it took me well over 12 months to find - but i find myself hankering for a 2wd again......

Thanks,

Simon

Return to stock and call me later chief to discuss! :)

A friendly reminder that you need to be a financial member of the forum to advertise, or give any hints that you might be thinking of possibly selling your cars or bits.

Thinly disguised 'expression of interest/sale' posts and replies will all be hidden until you become cough up the $25. Failing that, your posts get deleted along with any replies

Thanks

4 hours ago, LeeM said:

A friendly reminder that you need to be a financial member of the forum to advertise, or give any hints that you might be thinking of possibly selling your cars or bits.

Thinly disguised 'expression of interest/sale' posts and replies will all be hidden until you become cough up the $25. Failing that, your posts get deleted along with any replies

Thanks

I'll have a swing back at that one with one hand tied behind my back in terms of a right of reply.   You obviously see the words gt2, and sets and have the blinkers on thinking  thats code for  hit me up if you want a set.

If you read the post, its a referenced post in response to " We used to use 996gt2 ducts.  They scrape everywhere. "

You obviously conveniently missed  that bit and the context of my response ( sharing my knowledge) and  skimmed over the fine print. You and I are totally not aligned on the word consumable from the eyes of a 996 turbo tweaker in a 996 turbo forum topic.  

I'd be flippen mad to sell my gt2 ducts given what they cost me and being a consumable and all.   Obviously you are in the know and are all over what they cost and what they owe me and why do you not view them as being a  consumable.   When I brought them I also brought some 997 gt3 front ducts for a whopping US$ 3.42.each. ( Listed on a  Legitimate tax invoice Invoice from Sonnen's parts department with the gt2 ducts )  Plus being a consumable in the true sense, I claimed them all on tax at the time so effectively 2  sets for 1. 

I  can't recall  advertising  / selling a car part for over 15 years and not going to start now on something that cost me circa 2 cartons of XXXX in terms of bottomline outlay and I will need them.

PS whats the defintion of extortion. I took you post as a thickly undisguised  sledgehammer post saying if if want to continue sharing your knowledge for the benefit of 996 turbo owners on here, pay your membership.  Does that go for all the other non members here as well or just those into tweaking 996 turbo's. 

Note I've responded to the extortion threat re membership status.  Ha ha.  

PS @BRN34 wouldn't buy them off me.   Read his post.  Waste of time as he reckons he USED to use them but reckons they  blast too much air even when you have the bigger calipers.  If thats the case, he definately has no use for them on his road 996 turbo sporting stock calipers.   Who was I thinly pitching those ducts to sell to again.  Must be to that @ Miss Daisey that @BRN34 refers to.  Now I'm back again as a financial member, can you confirm  if I was to break the 15 year old drought and offload a set of ducts,  can you confirm @ Miss daisey is a member and I can mention her in the ad so she gets the auto mention note in her inbox as that may make the transaction happen faster.  I didn't have much luck finding @ miss daisy as a member let alone a financial one. 

PS I appreciate the thankless task of a forum moderator but no intent whatsoever to offload a set of ducts in context.   Particularly given I'm into my 6th week on my first 4 month ( likely to be extended  to 6 months )  fly in fly out swing on a site  in China.   From my side its pretty comical.  According to you, I'm going to rush back to Australia, do two weeks of quarantine to offload a set of brake ducts under a thinly disguised post and avoid the $25 to sell them to someone who reckons their  a waste of time putting on a 996 turbo. 

@smit2100 It's 'bought' not "brought" 

Now about your little reply to me, and I'll be as diplomatic as possible, yet I may go off on a tangent here.

Firstly, lets get this out of the way in saying yes it can be a thankless task as a moderator, yet it has to be done. Being on the end of abuse and name calling via private messages (not implying you in particular have done that at all), sometimes its a little difficult to refrain from letting fly with a name calling, vulgarity laden reply to some people who just have their head in their arse (again, not aimed at you personally). Yet here you are saying you appreciate the moderators job by having a thinly veiled crack at a moderator, and/or forum guidelines 😅

Secondly, no it wasn't your post about your ducts at all, as to be honest I hadn't seen it or can't remember the post (probably the latter, as I have to try and read EVERY post). 

If I had a dollar for the amount of reports we receive from members who see people, usually new members, who have obviously only joined the forum to sell something Porsche related, then I'd have quite the piggy bank stashed away. However, we don't get a dollar, so I/we just have to do the job of maintaining forum guidlines set out by the creators of PFA that many others don't want to do. Do I like deleting or hiding sale posts? To be very honest no I don't, yet that's my personal opinion, not as a forum moderator.

I could go on and on about all sorts of things here, but I shall not.

@missdaisy had her account deleted, as she tried to sell her drivers car numerous times without being a financial member, so now ya know why you can't find her 👍

When you see the price of a Carsales listing these days, all to say to the world “please waste my time: no caller too stupid”, a $25 PFA membership is a bargain. 

Thanks to @LeeM and all the mods who do a critical job that make this a great forum. 

If I only had a lazy $120k.

BTW we need moderators. Think of it as a cricket game. No umpire and we would descend into anarchy. I've had a run in or 2 with moderators and 99% of the time all is good. I may not like the decision and I will inform them of that politely but I will never abuse them. 

Remember they have your balls in their hand ( bloody power mad buggers-yes that means you too Lee :) :) :)  ).

7 minutes ago, Peter M said:

Jezus!  Did you have a look at the underside?  

Then reading the mechanical report confirmed the first impression.

Make a cracking track car at $75K - other than than - an orphan.

Colour change due to fire..... let alone maintenance .... and it got 4 stars from the PPi.. OUCH