STUTT’FEST 2022

Skidmarks

@hugh each to their own on the overtaking preferences, but then you’re a racing driver so overtaking round corners and under brakes is normal 😉 

I for one would never do that, I’ve seen too many overtakers be clobbered by the overtakee as one or the other understeers or oversteers into oblivion. Keep that for test days when it’s a bunch of race drivers, not the fun days. Mentioning in the briefing to back off down the straights if there’s a car in your mirrors that wasn’t there a few corners ago, or has been behind for a few corners is a great idea.

4 hours ago, Simonk said:

I could only do it on the corners because I had the slowest car on track and people don't seem to want to back off on the straights to let me pass. In the end it was easier to back off and create a gap until I caught up again.

Yep, people tend to boot it down the straight and you just catch up with them at the next corner. Happens to me all the time in my 3.0L. Agree sometimes is best to back off if people are reluctant to back off on the straight and let you past. 

3 hours ago, Shedpest said:

I thought it was all the way up or all the way down  just not halfway?

Maybe different tracks have different rules

This is typically the rule, does depend on who is running the day. A lot of clubs now only let you have windows down if you have a window net. 

1 hour ago, Redracn said:

I hear the comment that the faster car will find a way past all the time but  I would like to suggest  that if a car was not behind a few corners ago and it is there now then it is lapping faster which does not necessarily mean in a straight line so to help slower straight line speed cars that are faster overall just easing of the throttle a bit down the straight makes it much easier for them to get by in the safest location. Yes the faster lapping car can probably get past somewhere around the track but best to invite them to do it down the straight. 

From my experience  the single best thing a slower car can do is be predictable and sticking to the correct line is the best way to do this even if you hold up the car behind for a few corners. Following a faster car for a few corners can be educational and following a slower one is often entertaining😁

This is very true. Agree that just sticking to your line and being considerate of the faster drivers (note not necessarily faster cars!) is key. 

7 minutes ago, Mike-S said:

Mentioning in the briefing to back off down the straights if there’s a car in your mirrors that wasn’t there a few corners ago, or has been behind for a few corners is a great idea.

Definitely worth mentioning, especially for those of us in slower cars. 

At the end of the day, the whole aim of the day is to provide a place where everyone feels comfortable enough to enjoy their cars safely

• 4 months later...
8 hours ago, hugh said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPZEjJklIn-/

A feature on this just popped up on Type 7 today. Pretty stoked to have this appear on an international Porsche publication! Huge thanks again to Tim for the amazing shots. 

Awesome photos.  I’m not surprised the photo of my fat frame wedged and folded  into @Skidmarks TCM 911 didn’t make the grade 😂. When’s the next one, I am “inside the tent” now.....

20 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

I don't do Insta, any other way to view this?

You don’t have to have an Instagram account to view - can you not view via the link? 

3 hours ago, DJM said:

Awesome photos.  I’m not surprised the photo of my fat frame wedged and folded  into @Skidmarks TCM 911 didn’t make the grade 😂. When’s the next one, I am “inside the tent” now.....

January next year.  I’ll confirm the booking in the coming months.

Got this for the occasion.

Had to sell a few things ...

BA090975-EEFD-493F-9E2E-C0B45A4B05F5.jpeg

1DB856CF-59D5-4675-8BD3-3EC69874E444.jpeg

8 hours ago, Skidmarks said:

Correct decision.  Looks menacing.  Must be tempting to slap some plates on it.....

8 minutes ago, Skidmarks said:

I’ve still got the plates off the old one ... think anyone would notice ... ?

Not during lockdown..........Reefton Spur to get milk?

20 hours ago, Skidmarks said:

That Wing! Yep I guess its a good use for money. Now I look forward to seeing what splash of colour you intend for it!  Congratulations on your purchase!