Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

18 hours ago, WGA said:

I have a soft spot for a cab having owned a few over the years so I like this one very much, if a bit over priced.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2011-porsche-911-carrera-gts-997-series-ii-auto-my12/OAG-AD-22461618/?Cr=3

I'm definitely a convert after driving a couple of them, Targas too.

5 hours ago, sjm said:

Compared to some manual hard tops that are currently advertised, this one seems overpriced. 
As my thoughts with most on Carsales. 😳

CTS is a Duttons company, nothing ever cheap there (although they do tend to get quality).

On 20/10/2023 at 11:43, on_booost said:

I'm pretty sure i know the car and the build.
If it is the one (pics are small) i can assure you that the build cost was more than current asking......

I "thought" it got sold pre covid for around $550 ish......

Riddle me this Batman.... what is the consensus of the 2023 cost of a show quality rotisserie paint job worth???
After its already been pulled down and on a stand....???

Ohh - on an a/c 911....? 

It's been suggested to me around $100K is the number for a paint job by a high quality guy in the Brookvale area....

17 minutes ago, Burgerman said:

It's been suggested to me around $100K is the number for a paint job by a high quality guy in the Brookvale area....

Thats where it's at. Fact of life in 2023.

Like i said - it's also a function of kids not wanting to work manually..... Fab work - also insane $$$$

I find it quite interesting that there is a correlation between the number of posts in the Marketplace threads and the state of the market. When it was a seller's market, there were tonnes of people online and posting, but now that it's swung to a buyer's market the forum is a lot quieter

29 minutes ago, JLD said:

I find it quite interesting that there is a correlation between the number of posts in the Marketplace threads and the state of the market. When it was a seller's market, there were tonnes of people online and posting, but now that it's swung to a buyer's market the forum is a lot quieter

There’s only so many times you can post “I saw an interesting car at an insane price, contacted seller with a fair offer, got told ‘I know what I’ve got, f*** off’ then watched it come on and off Carsales for the next 12 months” I guess 😅

I can count on one hand the list of “What’s for sale an interesting”, I’ve seen lately … just a whole lot of “What’s not really for sale because it’s priced so high it’s boring”. 

6 hours ago, JWM said:

There’s only so many times you can post “I saw an interesting car at an insane price, contacted seller with a fair offer, got told ‘I know what I’ve got, f*** off’ then watched it come on and off Carsales for the next 12 months” I guess 😅

I can count on one hand the list of “What’s for sale an interesting”, I’ve seen lately … just a whole lot of “What’s not really for sale because it’s priced so high it’s boring”. 

Nailed it. 

Hi All.  I am new and have been looking at Carsales for a while for a 996.1 coupe c2 tip.  Found this thread today.  Glad to see some discourse re: Carsales and the lack of movement on there.  Even a 160,000 km 996.1 c4 tip coupe at 50k doesn't seem to move.  bulk of stock is 60k -75k odd for the cars.  cheapest manual here in sydney is 85k and that's quite modified.  yeah but low low sales volume.  kind of dead.  feels similar to watches right now.  just not a lot happening but a nagging feeling that prices are headed lower.

i wonder if we see the interest rate announcement on wednesday stimulate things either way?  

being quite excited by the car as i am, i'm thinking - is this the cheapest the car gets?  should i jump now?  

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1998-porsche-911-carrera-996-manual/OAG-AD-22451665/? looks pretty nice, although UK import, so maybe some wiggle room on price. Sports seats are a nice extra (although never tried how comfortable they are).

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2001-porsche-911-carrera-996-manual-my02/SSE-AD-15634910/?Cr=5 looks okay too, but not grey interior may not be to everyones liking. Also mentions engine has been replaced at 50k by Porsche...

Neither of them mention replaced IMS bearings.

16 hours ago, AndrewM said:

Purchase price is just one part of the equation. Find the right car, otherwise it can get expensive quickly.

So less jumping! :)

Totally agree. Purchased an inexpensive 996.1 import a year ago and immediately dropped circa $12k getting all the overdue maintenance done (they are 20+ years old now) including suspension rebuild + IMS. Then the personal tweaks/mods and before you know it your approaching double the purchase price.

To clarify I’m not upset, as the car is an unusual colour and I have made the car looking how I want it.

4 hours ago, AndrewM said:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1998-porsche-911-carrera-996-manual/OAG-AD-22451665/? looks pretty nice, although UK import, so maybe some wiggle room on price. Sports seats are a nice extra (although never tried how comfortable they are).

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2001-porsche-911-carrera-996-manual-my02/SSE-AD-15634910/?Cr=5 looks okay too, but not grey interior may not be to everyones liking. Also mentions engine has been replaced at 50k by Porsche...

Neither of them mention replaced IMS bearings.

2010 engine replacement should overcome IMS issue as long as Porsche supplied engine.  They used a different IMS bearing in these engines as I understand which overcame the issue.  I have a similar engine in my .1, around same date, but more KMs on it since than this one, a lot put on by me over the last 15 months 🙂

I'd suggest both of these cars perhaps $10-15k overpriced in current market though, much as I wish it wasn't so..... 

Arctic Silver and Hilux grey interior, whoever would have specced that???  Must have been a dealer order stock car I reckon.....

i like the arctic silver.  it makes the 996.1 c2 look very sedate.  but to then have the grey leather it seems like too much of a plain thing.  

very interesting to see here members suggesting an estimate of 65k say for market price for 996.1 c2 coupe manual.  all i had to go on were the carsales cars and there is not a lot of them and amongst the 3 cheapest, we have an engine replacement, a british import and then the modified but beautiful white one in Sydney.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1998-porsche-911-carrera-996-manual/SSE-AD-14729043/?Cr=56

whilst it seems the market views a UK import as being lesser (rust risk as i understand it), is it the case that some UK imports might drop the sunroof?  i feel like sunroofs are default for aussie cars?  i could certainly cope without a sun roof and it is one less place for a leak to kickoff.

12 hours ago, 911_fan said:

whilst it seems the market views a UK import as being lesser (rust risk as i understand it), is it the case that some UK imports might drop the sunroof?  i feel like sunroofs are default for aussie cars?  i could certainly cope without a sun roof and it is one less place for a leak to kickoff.

The market here definitely discounts UK imports (for whatever reason). This means you should generally be able to get a cheaper purchase, but it does mean that you also won't make as much when selling, and it may be more difficult to sell...

As for the sunroof - I wish people would stop ordering their new cars with them, so that I can eventually buy one without! 😄

As a heads up, the cartridge on my sunroof was broken, so I ended up paying $7500 to get the problem all sorted out. What makes things worse, it takes up valuable headroom in the 996 so I need to angle my chair quite a way back to fit in with a helmet on. I even considered replacing the entire roof, rather than fixing the sunroof, however I chickened out as I wasn't sure if anyone in Australia had already done it, and whether I could be guaranteed that the car would remain straight. (Probably me being overcautious).

On 29/10/2023 at 22:47, 911_fan said:

i like the arctic silver.  it makes the 996.1 c2 look very sedate. 

Sometimes it's better to go for a subtle, more under the radar colour.....

I had a LHD Speed Yellow 996.1 GT3 which attracted a lot of looks, but I then changed to a RHD Arctic Silver one, didn't attract anywhere as much attention.  My current 6.1 C2 is Seal Grey, (my 3rd Porsche that colour actually!!) which is even more under the radar, apart from the switchable exhaust recently installed 🙂 )

55 minutes ago, mrar said:

Aus delivered Dealer cars where ticked box SR for many models.

Its not just Porsche either. Merc, BMW and Audi do it too. I had to fight to get a Q5 sans sunroof back in 2009. Subsequently after that I couldn't be bothered anymore and almost all my euro cars since have had them. The only exceptions being the GT3 and the Emira.

1 minute ago, BRU said:

Aside from the space issue when wearing a helmet, what is the actual issue with having a sunroof?

I don't really have an issue with having one, but I guess if I was a speed demon or racer it would be good to reduce the weight.  However, I'm finding mine rattles a fair bit when closed (stuff inside the mechanism I suspect), haven't had the time to pull apart to track down.  I do find though, that I mostly run it with rear edge lifted rather than actually open, as it improves the airflow from the vents that way.....

22 hours ago, AndrewM said:

The market here definitely discounts UK imports (for whatever reason). This means you should generally be able to get a cheaper purchase, but it does mean that you also won't make as much when selling, and it may be more difficult to sell...

UK cars are discounted for a reason. Many of them are insurance write-offs that are sent outside the UK, I was a victim of one. It was a category D which is not structural damage but not economical to repair. It was a 997 C4S. it was a very clean & brilliant car. But no mention of the write-off by the dealer I bought it from. After 3 years into my ownership I decided to get some history on it. Found a UK page where I pay a small fee and get the history. It showed that the car was stolen at some stage, they stripped the front panels and stole the engine. It was later repaired by the owner after the insurance payout.

So if you are considering a UK car, make sure you run the history report on it first. $25 well spent.

47 minutes ago, mrar said:

They leak, breakdown/fail over time attract rust, can block up create dank smell, stain and ruin your headlining/interior, wind noise when seals go,If not adjusted correctly look unsightly too imo.

No..... we are not talking about the car - but the sunroof itself! ...... Oh wait......... 

😁