Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

I'm pleased I picked my Targa up when I did ! 

So, what's seen as most important to buyers? Low k's, condition, rebuilt engines (even with low k's) or something else? 

There does seem to be a ceiling at the moment, a fair number of air cooled cars in the $80k+ bracket still hanging around, yet others appear at that price point and sell instantly. I've always bought on condition (until picking up this Targa) and the miles haven't really been a concern if the car's looked after. Now I have a very low k car, hasn't been used since god knows when, needs the bonnet painting but other than that I'll be living with the stone chips and enjoying the car, yet with these prices it becomes a bit questionable putting 10k a year on it.

I'm pleased I picked my Targa up when I did ! 

So, what's seen as most important to buyers? Low k's, condition, rebuilt engines (even with low k's) or something else? 

There does seem to be a ceiling at the moment, a fair number of air cooled cars in the $80k+ bracket still hanging around, yet others appear at that price point and sell instantly. I've always bought on condition (until picking up this Targa) and the miles haven't really been a concern if the car's looked after. Now I have a very low k car, hasn't been used since god knows when, needs the bonnet painting but other than that I'll be living with the stone chips and enjoying the car, yet with these prices it becomes a bit questionable putting 10k a year on it.

That's why you need more than one - share the km's around :)

But drive them. Look after them. Enjoy them. Escaping with minimal depreciation has always been a challenge when owning cars.  Investment is usually not the point of having one. Great if it turns out well. But the point, to me, is to drive them as much as possible. I do :) 

Dob them in Gut.. that pees me off!  And its disingenuous.   Is that the right word??  hmm

AND RSR Garage is going off - 3 1980s carreras gone up today.  All have a bit or all of the roof removable and all at 80k or above. The world has gone mad.

Can dealers like RSR actually inflate the price of these cars? I think so, watch the other sellers follow.

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1988/OAG-AD-5058903/?Cr=7

I don't think I'll dob them in. But it annoys me. It's a matter of principle - comply with relevant regulations. Having POA on used cars is being pompous and self important. Used car dealers already have a reputation - this just serves to uphold it.

Put a price on the bloody thing.

RSR puts prices on their cars :) 

I can't see myself being a Duttons customer but I can see myself buying from Rob if the right car comes along.

Dob them in Gut.. that pees me off!  And its disingenuous.   Is that the right word??  hmm

AND RSR Garage is going off - 3 1980s carreras gone up today.  All have a bit or all of the roof removable and all at 80k or above. The world has gone mad.

Can dealers like RSR actually inflate the price of these cars? I think so, watch the other sellers follow.

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1988/OAG-AD-5058903/?Cr=7

the dealers are taking major advantage of this craze and private sellers ride off the back of it. Problem is people are in some sort of panic mode and buying up whatever is out there at whatever price. It's a shame it's turned out this way. Prohibits people buying in at a reasonable price and enjoying these older cars and not treating them as just investments. Not saying people don't drive and enjoy these cars but once they start getting to lofty heights in price, then it may relegate them to the garage. I'm quite happy to venture into water cooled once I'm ready to buy again so it doesn't bother me so much, but it's too bad for those wishing to get into air cooled. 

That's why you need more than one - share the km's around :)

But drive them. Look after them. Enjoy them. Escaping with minimal depreciation has always been a challenge when owning cars.  Investment is usually not the point of having one. Great if it turns out well. But the point, to me, is to drive them as much as possible. I do :) 

I have a couple of other cars to use, Porky is for trundling to the office in Frankston when the weather's nice. It'll be in the car park underground so safe & secure with any luck :) 

I'm also very much for using and enjoying it, hopefully the depreciation won't be too much but even if it is, so be it. One of the reasons for buying it in the first place is I'm sick of depreciation, and I also want to take my RRS out of everyday use (that's for the really hot days when AC is a must!), so splitting the k's and maintenance between the 2 is my plan.

Very different cars though in terms of desirability ...  all those links are to series 1 fried egg 3.4lt autos.

Filter to series 2, manual, coupe and starting price is from $54K up to $72K and there are only 10 cars available australia wide out of 79 996's in total.

Given I bought mine over 3 years ago for $65K from a dealer, i'm happy that it's not exactly plummeting in price like you might think if putting all 996's in the same basket.  I've definitely had some moments where i've thought "crap! - is my car only worth 35K now!" Just gotta remember to apply the same filter criteria to carsales as when I were buying and it's not so bad.

And when the cheapest car at $54K is the C4S I posted I still reckon it's a great deal!  If you bought that now and just enjoyed driving it for several years, who really cares if it drops $10 theoretical K before going back up again and beyond.

Interesting that they are all high mileage cars. They dont look like their engines and gearboxes exploded at 80k. Whilst the adds give no further clues, it would seem that it is possible to get life out of a 996 with regular use. Regular care and maintainance is still the way to go!

I'm sure a lot more $$$ has been spent repairing/rebuilding/modifying-to-improve-issues inherent with aircooled engines than the few grand it takes to precautionary improve the IMS of the 996 engines.  It's funny how it's nothing to buy an aircooled and budget an extra $10K just in case the engine needs a bit of work, but god forbid buying a watercooled and have the option to spend $2500 on an IMS and get a new clutch while you're there...

THIS has been for sale for well over a year. Its a great looking car...  why still on the market?  Too much $$$  Its auto?  Or needs a hard roof on it? 

I think its a great looking machine  http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-968-1992/SSE-AD-156914/?Cr=3

It's just looking for the right buyer Amanda. I agree , a great car in every way and it would go like the clappers. If I was in the market for an open top , I'd look at this over a Bxsta for sure. It's a rare model and there is certainly the potential for long term gains.  

Very different cars though in terms of desirability ...  all those links are to series 1 fried egg 3.4lt autos.

Filter to series 2, manual, coupe and starting price is from $54K up to $72K and there are only 10 cars available australia wide out of 79 996's in total.

Trev,

Is a fried egg car really 20 grand less desirable than a Series 2 in terms of driving?

(Only 200cc and variable cam timing?)

If I only had $30,000 to $35,000 to spend on a car with a roof and 6 cylinders surely a Series 1 would have to be a short list?

I understand that the market prefers the Series 2's but were the Series 1's anymore problematic than the later cars?

Just asking as I don't know and want to learn!

Thanks

Peter

Trev,

Is a fried egg car really 20 grand less desirable than a Series 2 in terms of driving?

(Only 200cc and variable cam timing?)

If I only had $30,000 to $35,000 to spend on a car with a roof and 6 cylinders surely a Series 1 would have to be a short list?

I understand that the market prefers the Series 2's but were the Series 1's anymore problematic than the later cars?

Just asking as I don't know and want to learn!

Thanks

Peter

'most important' change Pete was the headlights because the owners got the shits that everyone thought they were driving Boxters. This and other changes warrent the price difference and the fact that they are newer cars, but wait a year or two and the series 2 will be near that price point ;)

I'm sure a lot more $$$ has been spent repairing/rebuilding/modifying-to-improve-issues inherent with aircooled engines than the few grand it takes to precautionary improve the IMS of the 996 engines.  It's funny how it's nothing to buy an aircooled and budget an extra $10K just in case the engine needs a bit of work, but god forbid buying a watercooled and have the option to spend $2500 on an IMS and get a new clutch while you're there...

Trev,

I disagree to a degree.

Except for chain tensioners and occasional cylinder stud in the pre '84 engines and oil leaks in all, what really goes seriously wrong with the Mezger engine to make it a hazard to your wallet?

(Unless you knowingly buy a worn out one of course, then you're on your own!)

I think some new buyers budget some spare cash more for the fact that the median age of these air cooled cars is over 34 years now rather than anything else.

When I buy my 996, don't I have to budget for a RMS and a AOS as well as a IMS bearing and also hope to hell I don't get D chunking?

Edited by Peter M
speling

I did say it wasn't a US car! Either an original Euro / ROW or someone spent a lot of time and money removing all the US pieces.  Occam's razor says original European car, and someone probably told him that after looking up the VIN.

Haven't seen this one online anywhere, so maybe others might be interested.  Perfect hotrod base or drive as-is

EDB939B5-38DA-4058-A382-69D6ECE674D6_zps

600A7391-0163-4F0B-AC32-D4606D7F3A25_zps

Has what looks like grey 993 interior.  Car seems tidy.  I don't know the owner.

Not sure if we're supposed to do this type of posting?  If not I'll take it down.

Just wanted to say thanks Coastr :D

Picked it up last night and drove it all the way to Sydney.

Let the project begin!

I did say it wasn't a US car! Either an original Euro / ROW or someone spent a lot of time and money removing all the US pieces.  Occam's razor says original European car, and someone probably told him that after looking up the VIN.

Haven't seen this one online anywhere, so maybe others might be interested.  Perfect hotrod base or drive as-is

EDB939B5-38DA-4058-A382-69D6ECE674D6_zps

600A7391-0163-4F0B-AC32-D4606D7F3A25_zps

Has what looks like grey 993 interior.  Car seems tidy.  I don't know the owner.

Not sure if we're supposed to do this type of posting?  If not I'll take it down.

someone from this forum bought this!!

I called him yesterday to arrange a time to view today, but just got a message that a fellow from Sydney flew up and bought it!

Cheap too.. you might remember it from Carsales with the plate number DMERIT

Edited by Mike D'Silva

no... It's a bit of a drive (45min) down the freeway if you want me to look at it mate. 

Only if i can come with ya and you pick me up frm the airport  in the GT3 ;)   Seriously I just wondered , I dont think I would revive it ...

I have  been digging around the UK and you can get motors , gearboxes etc  , I have been around a few classic shops and spares are quite available .. the older bodies though , I really wouldn't touch unless its a pampered garage queen here in general.   Rust really is the biggest topic here 

Went to a local car meet , 996's with young blokes everywhere, biggest challenge here is insurance costs

Thanks for the offer though

The global market. Australia is in its own bubble in terms of 'rust free' but when it comes to values we are just following global trends and 996s are a lot cheaper overseas. Really good, limited production, special models just might have bottomed out and the crazy rare ones appreciating. But as c2s continue to drop I have a feeling their new 'dubious' owners and the fact that there are so many of them, will further bring prices down. 

996 are cheap as chips here in the UK , even small dealers have them on the forecourts …… the petrol and the insrance for most are a greater concern than purchase and maintenance.. our cars are way high in OZ

Only if i can come with ya and you pick me up frm the airport  in the GT3 ;)   Seriously I just wondered , I dont think I would revive it ...

I have  been digging around the UK and you can get motors , gearboxes etc  , I have been around a few classic shops and spares are quite available .. the older bodies though , I really wouldn't touch unless its a pampered garage queen here in general.   Rust really is the biggest topic here 

Went to a local car meet , 996's with young blokes everywhere, biggest challenge here is insurance costs

Thanks for the offer though

pfffffttt! Air-cooled running gear.... 

http://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-cup-cars/704285-69-gt3-cup.html

if eveythjng I love about the 911 was rolled into one car this has to be it! ^^