Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

No particularly rational reason. But of course it's nice to have books and receipts that fill in the history of the car. But they don't replace a thorough objective assessment of condition. For most of us that drive our cars and don't just look at them waiting for them to appreciate, that's going to be more important.

But, having said that, my cars all have their books and records, and I like it :)

So, what if (like my 911) all the books are present, yet in the example of my car the service book shows the last one was carried out by Hamiltons in 1992 at 106k km, now it has 114k on it. I know the car then spent 23 years sat in a warehouse, was used occasionally but certainly not for the last 10 years or so, perhaps had an oil change or 2 and I found it with 113k on the clock. Essentially it's done 7k in 23 years. I found it, brought it back to life, changed everything that needed changing to bring it back to rude health, yet from the books who's really going to believe it's only done 7000 k's in 23 years? I know it's correct from my dealings with the owner and his family, but from now on it's just my word and whether someone is prepared to believe the story.

What's that really worth? I'm just curious as to the collectives opinion, that's all. I've had what I would consider to be silly offers made for it (as in, numbers that would've seen me buying turboT's 964, which is a complete no-brainer for me) but I do wonder how much of that is down to the current hype of air cooled and it being a 'less desirable' Targa and therefore seen as attainable. 

Its a ll a game of management of perception…  I some years back took my car that I painted the front bar on to a dealer fora trade… he had for an hour and then told me that my car had , a lot of paint and the fact that I was away and never drive my car more than 1-2k in 5 years was impossible , when in fact 

The car has never been out of my sight or painted other than the bumper when I bought it and when I was travellig , I had someone run my car every few weeks .

Stories  Stories Stoies :)

When a car get to a certain vintage unless it has full provenance … do we really care , I would rather see the photos for the car in a rotissrie with a full bare metal job and a receipts fo the engine rebuild than the books 

So, what if (like my 911) all the books are present, yet in the example of my car the service book shows the last one was carried out by Hamiltons in 1992 at 106k km, now it has 114k on it. I know the car then spent 23 years sat in a warehouse, was used occasionally but certainly not for the last 10 years or so, perhaps had an oil change or 2 and I found it with 113k on the clock. Essentially it's done 7k in 23 years. I found it, brought it back to life, changed everything that needed changing to bring it back to rude health, yet from the books who's really going to believe it's only done 7000 k's in 23 years? I know it's correct from my dealings with the owner and his family, but from now on it's just my word and whether someone is prepared to believe the story.

What's that really worth? I'm just curious as to the collectives opinion, that's all. I've had what I would consider to be silly offers made for it (as in, numbers that would've seen me buying turboT's 964, which is a complete no-brainer for me) but I do wonder how much of that is down to the current hype of air cooled and it being a 'less desirable' Targa and therefore seen as attainable. 

I reckon you should go get it serviced at Porsche and get the next stamp in the book!

What's it worth? No idea really - it's worth what you're willing to take for it. Not helpful I know but if you don't need to sell, don't have something to do with the cash or haven't got another car you would prefer, then keep and enjoy it.

Having just bought a third bloody p car I'm also wondering what they're worth coz justifying keeping 3 is a stretch and I have pondered selling one. But for now, I'm loving them all. I've taken the 930 away down the coast for the weekend - what a ripper car. Who cares what it's worth - too much fun to worry about that.

to date I have bought cars because they just 'look right....' And then proceeded to spend $5-$10k the next week making sure they 'work right ;) '

both have had good paperwork, but both sat for two years so I learned my lesson there. But both have been excellent buys.

the 964 (still for sale) has books and receipts going back to its birth, but what made me hand over the cash on the spot was an Autohaus sticker on the engine bay. I instantly thought 'this car has been looked after' and I recon getting a sence of this at purchase probably out weighs mountains of paperwork. 

That said when I took it to Grant at Autohaus to fix some gremlins he took one look at the engine bay and said....

"wow, that's our old logo on that sticker. Can't remember when we last looked at this one...?"

Edited by turboT

Stamps in a book  mean nothing IMHO,just because the oil has been changed by a dealer does not mean the owner has any idea how to drive or look after a car. A fully stamped book could belong to a low mileage car that has never once been up to full operating temperature due to only doing short trips, or gets the shit thrashed out of it in too low a gear by an owner who can`t drive.

A PPI by a well respected mechanic, if you are not confident in your own judgment is the only way to determine a cars mechanical condition. A magical " full service history" only means something to someone who has no idea what atrocities an imbecile can perpetrate on an automobile.

If one defines "Books" as specifically the service booklet which is unique to the car (As opposed to the owners handbook or dealer directory which is easily replaceable) then the car with books has a substantial advantage over one that does not.  The service book provides:

1. The first owners details.

2. The selling dealer.

3. The date of delivery.

4. Usually the data card listing the options including the type of car and the paint code.

5. At least in the early part of the cars life, service stamps.  What the stamps allow you to do is approach the dealer with the invoice number and date of service, you'll usually be able to get a copy of the work performed if this was not provided with the car at the time of sale.

All the above is possible to track down without the service book, but it's a LOT harder. 

6. The final item is mileage substantiation.  A stamp in the book doesn't mean that great work has been performed, but what it does do is provide a date and a mileage component.  A car with the service books backed up by receipts for regular maintenance is something one should expect.  Even if the owner performs all the maintenance themselves, they would still have a record of consumables such as oil, fluids, battery, tyres etc.

There is no reason for any vehicle not to have a service book.  It's unique to the car and serves no purpose in any other car.  Of course, sometimes books go missing.  Maybe they've been stolen or misplaced, or the owner has just been plain careless and left them on a shelf in the garage.  In that case, the owner would have substantiating paperwork.  No books and no supporting paperwork means no maintenance and the owner being particularly indifferent to the needs of the vehicle.  Not that these cars should be avoided, just that one must adjust the pricing accordingly because it won't be turnkey. 

In my line of work (Analytical Chemist) we adhere to the maxim: "If it's not written down, it hasn't been done!"  This is reinforced by external auditing every 12 months, with corrective actions required if all is not as it should be.  Over 40years in the profession, the discipline naturally enough carries over into personal life.  Hence, all of our vehicles have individual hand-written log books with detail down to fuel and oil fill-ups, verified by receipts for the materials used, in a separate ring folder.  Overkill?  Maybe, but when you ask yourself the question "how old IS that battery?" you don't have to rely on a fading memory or rat through a drawer full of dog-eared receipts to find the answer.

That said, does it matter when you're trading in a vehicle with a dealer?  When we traded my wife's 530D last year (depreciation?  I'll show you depreciation...) all they were interested in was the service stamps in the log book, not the detailed stuff.  But, when selling an enthusiast vehicle such as a Porsche, to another enthusiast, those details are appreciated and indicate an ongoing interest in the maintenance of the vehicle.

IMG_20160109_102640.jpg

IMG_20160109_100921.jpg

There is no reason for any vehicle not to have a service book.  It's unique to the car and serves no purpose in any other car.  Of course, sometimes books go missing.  Maybe they've been stolen or misplaced, or the owner has just been plain careless and left them on a shelf in the garage.  In that case, the owner would have substantiating paperwork.  No books and no supporting paperwork means no maintenance and the owner being particularly indifferent to the needs of the vehicle.  Not that these cars should be avoided, just that one must adjust the pricing accordingly because it won't be turnkey. 

From my experience, books are generally deliberately lost so you don't know the full extent of the abuse....

Might explain my divorce 

Might explain both my divorces.. are we talking about service records or operating manual.. 

Either way , I dont think mine came with them or probably never read them

Are there any cars for sale or more importantly have any cars sold in January ?

Oh this is a casual prompt for those with metal to move to chime in ;)

Come on someone must have a count going on 

December 964's , A/C Sc's and 3.2s , TT's , GT3's  vs now and you can Add 928's if you wanna see a trend 

These pictures have grabbed me surfing a few times 

I know we kinda discussed this , has anyone seen it … Make me an offer does that start at $55k or something and work upward .. is this the new trend of the season

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-1971/SSE-AD-3499293/?Cr=14