Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

All this talk of km's? As a car gets older the km's become more irrelevant. Also, depending on the desirability of a car the km's may not even be a major consideration. If "how many km's has it got?" are in your top 5 questions (maybe even top 10!) when buying a 30+ year old car your way off the mark................

I'd say the market appeal for a 928 carrera is pretty limited, especially at 100k+. It will need to tick a whole lot of boxes to broaden its appeal, km's maybe one of them. Its fair to say desirable old 911's are more immune due to broader appeal and hence larger pool of prospective buyers. Anyone worried about adding km's as opposed to using their cars as intended really needs a reality check. If your car is the better car than the others on the market despite the km's it will still be the better car and sell regardless. 

Less time talking km's more time making them I say. :)

I imagine a 928 Carrera would be worth a fair bit! Quite a rare beast! :P

We have finally worm you down Hugh, you can't help but think of 928s constantly.... :D

All this talk of km's? As a car gets older the km's become more irrelevant. Also, depending on the desirability of a car the km's may not even be a major consideration. If "how many km's has it got?" are in your top 5 questions (maybe even top 10!) when buying a 30+ year old car your way off the mark................

I'd say the market appeal for a 924 carrera is pretty limited, especially at 100k+. It will need to tick a whole lot of boxes to broaden its appeal, km's maybe one of them. Its fair to say desirable old 911's are more immune due to broader appeal and hence larger pool of prospective buyers. Anyone worried about adding km's as opposed to using their cars as intended really needs a reality check. If your car is the better car than the others on the market despite the km's it will still be the better car and sell regardless. 

Agree. I've put 10,000km on my 930 in about a year. 175 to 185. It had a top end rebuild 18mth before I bought it and did bugger all km's before I got it. It needed some recommissioning (fuel distributor) before I got it because of not being used. Do I care about the km? Nup. I'll drive it when and wherever I feel like it coz that's why I bought it. Cars need exercise. Mind you, the km's are ticking over a bit slower now as I alternate. 

The WA 968 is gone already!

I knew it wouldn't last, that was a really nice looking car. He probably could have put an extra $2k on the sale price and it would have sold in a week rather than a day and still got the extra money. Front engine prices are on the up...........

I'd say the market appeal for a 924 carrera is pretty limited, especially at 100k+. It will need to tick a whole lot of boxes to broaden its appeal, km's maybe one of them. Its fair to say desirable old 911's are more immune due to broader appeal and hence larger pool of prospective buyers. Anyone worried about adding km's as opposed to using their cars as intended really needs a reality check. If your car is the better car than the others on the market despite the km's it will still be the better car and sell regardless. 

Well said. If you only talk about kms and the potential of not appreciating as much as others then you are focussed on an investment, and realistically you should put your money somewhere else which doesn't require maintenance, upkeep, rego and insurance.

If you want a car, buy the one you like and drive it smugly knowing that you are part of the 0.01% of the population that has a car appreciating whilst you are driving it.

tail alone could fetch $10k if original

at best 5k oz,  if it's the only one and someone really had a boner for it. Otherwise any more and your stretching stretch armstrong and that's a stretch 

P.s nice targa 

Edited by michel

Agree. I've put 10,000km on my 930 in about a year. 175 to 185. It had a top end rebuild 18mth before I bought it and did bugger all km's before I got it. It needed some recommissioning (fuel distributor) before I got it because of not being used. Do I care about the km? Nup. I'll drive it when and wherever I feel like it coz that's why I bought it. Cars need exercise. Mind you, the km's are ticking over a bit slower now as I alternate. 

In terms of exercise, never brought into the MAMIL (Middle aged men in lycra) thing. Carbon fibre doesn't do it for me and I prefer 4 wheels over 2 (less injuries) and why I brought a Porsche instead of a bike.  As I see it, nothing wrong if you have the time and are disciplined to able clock up an average of  200km on the odometer  (10,000 km a year) on regular Sunday morning runs whilst conquering some hills and twisties on the route. Good for your heart, in terms of blood circulation and keeps your mind sharp and on edge.  Calves too, particularly the left for those that aren't into the newer technology (flick shifting) in terms of effortless gear shifting can get a decent workout as well.  Even better when your exercise session involves riding in a small group.  Bit of encouragement to keep the pace nice and steady and can leverage from a bit of drafting along route as well when you feel the need to catch your breath.

Based on your post above, when it comes to exercising, I'm thinking your may fall in the category of a MAMIAP or MAMIP (Middle aged man in a Porsche)

Edited by smit2100

i think its the little 'flick'at the end - love it. Later 3.3l cars lost the lightness

11CBBEB6-F8C3-4F77-BC96-BB0512133BE3_zps

back on subject - the silver 79 930 that was at CTS that sold, then came back, seems to have gone again

I love the early tail, that little gurney flap thats integrated is a nice little defining feature. 

tail alone could fetch $10k if original

I didn't think the Carrera tails came out until the 1975 model year.

http://carreramfi.com/

If this is true then that tail should not be original for that 1974 targa.

The 3.0l engine shouldn't be original either for a '74.

IMHO targas look cleaner with no tail at all B)...aesthetics are all in the eye of the beholder.

Edited by D-banger

I didn't think the Carrera tails came out until the 1975 model year.

If this is true then that tail should not be original for that 1974 targa.

IMHO targas look cleaner with no tail at all B)...aesthetics are all in the eye of the beholder.

agree. Tails belong on turbos. Obviously not original to the car, but was it nabbed from a mangled 3.0l? Or does it have 'made in China' on the underside ?