Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

I think it was this car...

Some fancy metal got embarrassed by wrx's that year!

1. Sullens - Barkley 1999 Subaru Impreza WRX R  00:00 

2. Richards - Oliver 2007 Porsche 911 GT3 RS  00:46 

3. Longhurst - De Vere 2007 Subaru Impreza WRX STi C  01:44 

4. Weeks - Allen 2006 Lamborghini Super Leggera  02:01 

5. Quinn - Wenn 2006 Porsche 997 Turbo  02:48

6. Close - Close 2001 Porsche 911 Turbo  02:54

7. Warwick - Murphy 2003 Porsche 911 GT3  03:42

If true, does the 2nd place Targa finish add to the car's pedigree along with Jim's farts, or does the racing detract compared to a garage queen?

What does the collective think the taint is worth as a premium over the redbook price? Is a bonnet sig required?

Nice examples about $400K so $110k saving is good, it just means it can be bought for reasonable money and enjoyed like it should be!

Shit, I sound like @Simon Nelson now. 

I would be extremely surprised if that was ever a Targa car for a number of reasons. To start with, I would be surprised if Jim would do the Targa in a car that had a bolt in front cage, rather than a full welded in version. Then, look at the interior. It looks all original and in place. Has somebody really stripped kit all out, fitted rally navigators gear etc, and then done the whole lot in reverse, leaving no sign at all? I have been in a Targa prepared GT3 RS and there is o way it could ever have been put back to look like this car.

I am not sure why it is "cheap", but I suspect the most likely story is that this is the standard car Jim used to hammer around tracks and I think it is the one that a friend won a passenger ride in. It's probably had a tough life, but that is in the price and so long as it passes a PPI, it would be a good bet for somebody who wants a GT3 RS to actually drive. Did I mention that it is an RS as well ;)

I would be extremely surprised if that was ever a Targa car for a number of reasons. To start with, I would be surprised if Jim would do the Targa in a car that had a bolt in front cage, rather than a full welded in version. Then, look at the interior. It looks all original and in place. Has somebody really stripped kit all out, fitted rally navigators gear etc, and then done the whole lot in reverse, leaving no sign at all? I have been in a Targa prepared GT3 RS and there is o way it could ever have been put back to look like this car.

I am not sure why it is "cheap", but I suspect the most likely story is that this is the standard car Jim used to hammer around tracks and I think it is the one that a friend won a passenger ride in. It's probably had a tough life, but that is in the price and so long as it passes a PPI, it would be a good bet for somebody who wants a GT3 RS to actually drive. Did I mention that it is an RS as well ;)

Here's the interior of the OAMPS car in period correct trim.  Did I just say period correct.....?

Can't see proper intrusion bars and the front legs aren't cut through the dash or anything...looks bolt in maybe...

33486.jpg

And here's the for sale car.  Not exactly mint. Missing some trim in the footwell on drivers side. Nav footplate and reset button on passenger side. Odd non-original harnesses.

cp4782580198848831267.jpg?aspect=FitWith

A good value (maybe) if you just wanna drive the ring off it.

Long term I don't think motorsport history will hurt value of an RS too much.  Many 73 RS's have colourful pasts which I think add to their history rather than detract from their value.

Edited by TrevMcRev

TevMcRev

It might be the same car, but on closer inspection, I think there are a few differences in the interior that are unlikely to have been changed. While replacing the race seats with originals is a no brainer, For instance, I think the handbrake looks to have slightly different materials while the speedo is different. 

Whoever buys it should make sure of getting the full story, because I agree that in the future, it might make the car a bit more special. On the face of it, if it stacks up with a detailed PPI, it does seem good value.

was $45k now $50k! Must have had a bit of interest...

Wow, how peculiar! Never see that happen

Was called  today by a gent who was interested in buying it, gave him a name of a good local shop (inline), for a PPI ... Expect he was one of a few promising to pay more... Irrespective ,

it seems seller expects people to buy without an inspection... That despite his declaration of 'warts n all' .... Car needs money spent on it.

Who is keen to drop 45k oops 50k, sorry  230k on a car without a quick health check? only needs to be green and a targa ???

Edited by michel

Whoever buys it should make sure of getting the full story, because I agree that in the future, it might make the car a bit more special.

Have to agree Simon. Have a few friends that have purchased older merc's owned by Alan Jones and Wayne Gardner and others with some racing history which to me add a nice pedigree to their new owners who are long term holders.

Someone, ( @symsy ) go buy this. Now.  997 GT3RS for $285K.  Free storage in Melbourne available for the odd hotlap in return.

Only driven on Sundays by an elderly gentleman, think his name is Jim...

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/_/SSE-AD-4191341?WT.seg_4=AutoAlert;PCAA

cp5440151015629042623.jpg?aspect=FitWith

Is it the one shown at 1.52?

Edited by Peter M

That is definitely the car. If you go through the video, it is shown a number of times being driven by Peter Mayer from SA (looked that up). The seller is called Peter and he states it has been regularly serviced by Porsche Adelaide. Once you start digging, you find the car has done a fair number of rallies. I am surprised he hasn't mentioned that anywhere ;). Here is a video of it being hoofed around Tassie and listen for it bottoming out :o

Looks good for that price...

Nice GT3 at NineAuto. I've watched the conversion of this car over the last few months and if I had the cash, I'd buy it.

28675053862_2666dbafd5_z_d.jpg

I just don't see it getting anywhere near $170k