Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

Here's an interesting one for someone the wing needs to be removed immediately unless it actually works on the circuit!

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/pakenham/cars-vans-utes/1981-porsche-928-aus-delivered-registered-swap-sports-car-4wd/1140542502

$_20.JPG

The bonnet pins are indicative of the wing working.

Would that roll cage not be factory/original? 

I don't believe so. Certainly, I've seen plenty of 968CS cars without any rollcage-- they usually just have the "back seat delete" option. I've never heard of a rollcage being a factory option on the 968.

I don't believe so. Certainly, I've seen plenty of 968CS cars without any rollcage-- they usually just have the "back seat delete" option. I've never heard of a rollcage being a factory option on the 968.

I thought the hard back recaros and cage were the whole point to the 968CS!  And that the ones ordered without are only MO30 suspension away from a regular 968, which can have MO30 suspension optioned or added... :unsure:   Kind of the clubsport you have when you're not having a clubsport!  Equivalent of a Touring in a GT3 vs a Clubsport.

Or what I'm trying to say is...CS with seats & cage is the spec to have for the most collectibility.  So these just don't come up as often in this spec.

has a 3.2 in it .. but isn't that an SC steering wheel? Or did the wheel carry over in 84?

the Vin is in the photos so should be able to decode it.

has a 3.2 in it .. but isn't that an SC steering wheel? Or did the wheel carry over in 84?

the Vin is in the photos so should be able to decode it.

The E in the vin designates this as an 1984 model year .

I thought the hard back recaros and cage were the whole point to the 968CS!  And that the ones ordered without are only MO30 suspension away from a regular 968, which can have MO30 suspension optioned or added... :unsure:   Kind of the clubsport you have when you're not having a clubsport!  Equivalent of a Touring in a GT3 vs a Clubsport.

Or what I'm trying to say is...CS with seats & cage is the spec to have for the most collectibility.  So these just don't come up as often in this spec.

Apart from the MO30 suspension, the CS primarily has weight reduction (such as no a/c, no backseats, no soundproofing etc.) compared to the standard 968s. There was also the nice 930S style steering  wheel, and the "clubsport" decals, etc. If someone knows better, fine, but as I say, I don't think the rollcage was actually a factory option.

Edit: Here's an option list for the 968CS. (No rollcage is mentioned).

968 Club Sport in standard specification:-

No rear wiper and motor (plastic bung replaces it)
No headlight washer jets in front bumper
No heated washer jets
No under bonnet light
No boot light
17" cup 1 or 2 wheels as standard depending on year
Only black interiors with older 944 S2 door cards
Rear storage net including extended rear shelf
3 spoke steering wheel with thicker rim
Fewer engine bay plastic trims
Digital stop watch instead of exterior temperature display in dash
No clock in central dash
No radio and roof aerial
Different centre console - coin tray holder
Colour coded rear spoiler
Wheels colour coded to bodywork

Most common option codes:

M030 - It comprises stiffer springs and dampers (adjustable Koni), stiffer anti roll bars 30mm hollow fixed at the front (standard 26.8mm) and 19mm 3 position adjustable at the rear from the 16mm standard. The brakes are more powerful with cross drilled 304mm discs at the front with larger calipers and hubs, the rear discs crossed drilled 299mm.

M220 - 40% locking limited slip differential

M346 - Standard coloured rims (silver)

M381 - Basic seat left (lightweight cloth comfort front seat unique to the CS and Sport, not the bucket seat) Click here for an image

M382 - Basic seat right (lightweight cloth comfort front seat unique to the CS and Sport, not the bucket seat)

M418 - Protective side mouldings (along the side of the car to prevent parking dents)

M451 - Reduced radio preparation (Radio with 2 speakers and roof aerial)

M567 - Top tinted windscreen

M573 - Air conditioning (this reinstates the larger wiring loom, battery, alternator, auto heating system and extra radiator fan)

M650 - Sunroof (removeable)

M651 - Electric windows

M685 - Divided rear seat (click here for a photograph)

General information:

Non sunroof, M030 and M220 cars are extremely rare across all markets. M220 could be optioned without M030.

European, Japanese and Australian cars often come with air conditioning and electric windows.

German cars often have the standard 968 airbag steering wheel (due to legislation) and passenger airbag (including a slightly different dashboard to accommodate the airbag) and many come with optioned rear seats M685.

Australian cars (around 60) have 2 additional metal plates attached under the bonnet detailing the build date, chassis number, approval number, model type (Porsche 968 CS) and the number of seats (click here for a photograph). A small number of cars were imported with rears seats and this is detailed on one of the plates.

'Club Sport' decals were only applied to the cars delivered in the UK (Porsche 968 Das Kompendium by Frank Pieper).

Japanese cars have different rear lights compared with the rest of the world featuring a clear section (instead of red) over each reversing light.

The Club Sport was offered in five colours during 1993 ('black', 'guards red', 'maritime blue', 'grand prix white' and 'speed yellow') but other colours were available during model years 1994 and 1995.

http://www.968clubsport.com/968CS_options.html

Edited by Plugger2

A lot of misinformation gets slung about over the 968 CS, I think it's often misunderstood, but that uk based site 968 CS is pretty comprehensive. 

And I've not seen any conclusive data about roll cages to comment. 

Certainly some nice examples of them currently on the market, and that's rare to see so many at once. 

A lot of misinformation gets slung about over the 968 CS, I think it's often misunderstood, but that uk based site 968 CS is pretty comprehensive. 

And I've not seen any conclusive data about roll cages to comment. 

A factory option code would be pretty conclusive.

This has been discussed before . Anyone have any info on it? 

https://carsales.mobi/cars/details/Porsche-911-1979/SSE-AD-4550179?gts=SSE-AD-4550179

I was going to PPI it on Monday, but then he bumped it back to 88k .. so I decided against it.

Today it's back down to 79 again.. which again falls into the bracket of what I'd spend on it. But hoping someone in the know can take a look on my behalf as this up/down price stuff is always red flags for me.

Nice car - only about 15 - 20k overpriced

You are generous. I'd put it at 20-30K...

The last '06 S to sell on carsales (jaspa, too!) went after the price dropped to $37K from $39K.

Automatic, though, and nearer 100K kms, IIRC.

Still... how much are you going to pay for the orange bling bits?

Edited by Plugger2

You are generous. I'd put it at 20-30K...

The last '06 S to sell on carsales (jaspa, too!) went after the price dropped to $37K from $39K.

Automatic, though, and nearer 100K kms, IIRC.

Still... how much are you going to pay for the orange bling bits?

Exactly my thoughts, his stated 80k of orange bling is a big stretch. Try 35k of mechanical parts and labour tops and lucky if he'll recoup $10 - 15k of that on top of the usual sale price

Exactly my thoughts, his stated 80k of orange bling is a big stretch. Try 35k of mechanical parts and labour tops and lucky if he'll recoup $10 - 15k of that on top of the usual sale price

Given the prices at the moment there may be a few bargains around by the time i'm willing to shell out.